Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (203) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (472832 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (544) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 8:11pm On Sep 21, 2023
Oya o, new comers into UK, see better link to send naira home. These 2 usually offer the highest rates and also complete transactions very fast. You earn free £10 by using my referral too grin

Share to a friend
I use NALA to send money home, along with 100,000 others. Join with code ARINZECHUKWU-460738 and we'll both get £10.00

https://join.iwantnala.com/ARINZECHUKWU-460738

Use referral link and get rewarded on your first transfer - https://pay.oneafrica.io/referral?referralCode=Nf7xu8XNb2&platform=ANDROID&referrer=Arinzechukwu_Ebido

3 (you have to send at least £100 with this one )

I use LemFi to send money. You get 10.00 GBP when you verify your account and send over 100.00 GBP with my referral link - https://referral.lemfi.com/invite/A4DS

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gergemam: 8:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
Focus99:
So I came into UK ealry last week

I have registered for GP, Right to work, NI, electoral roll, Monzo and Lloyds bank

I got registered to a doctor at my GP and still waiting for NHS code so I can go back to my GP for further processing. I got my NI number already, got my monzo and Lloyds bank atm cards.

I got a job two days after I got to UK but still waiting for my DBS to come out cos the company requested for naija police certificate and I needed to make a contact to get in over from naija.

I got a sim with 3 network

I'm a student on a tier 4 visa

Anything else I need to know, apply for or do?

Oldies in the house abeg you guys should put me through oh

Thank you

Nigeria go fit better so? Hahahahahhahahaha the system is working here JESUS omo ehn

Got NI within one week?

🤔🤔🤔🤔
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 8:33pm On Sep 21, 2023
Schoolhike:

What I know is that some if not all will not sponsor until your current visa is about to end.

But I don’t know the answer to if they will sponsor you or not, but if they told you that you will be sponsored then, they will towards the end of your visa, but just double check with them especially from HR, if they will be able to sponsor you, better to confirm via mail.
E be like say na me no read the email well.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 9:40pm On Sep 21, 2023
Lexusgs430:

E never finish...... About the same time this magically pot was the vogue, amongst Nigerian/Ghanaian wives........ A vacuum cleaner was also been marketed........

Vacuum cleaner for £2500...........😜🤣

These follow same MMM aka ponzi scheme
Scams the lot of them
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:44pm On Sep 21, 2023
gergemam:

Got NI within one week?

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Registered

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 10:35pm On Sep 21, 2023
Well done, wishing you luck
moshuur:

Boss on d Amazon site....I saw 3 options for warehouse 1) warehouse operative 2) sortation operative 3) fresh warehouse team member.

I'm guessing I fall into the 3 category...right?

Amazon have 80 hrs minimum per month which make me (a student) quality.

Modified.....I've applied already...hopefully, it'll turn out fine
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 11:12pm On Sep 21, 2023
yolkman20:
Hello everyone,
Please I need advice.
I'm in a situation and i need advice on how to opt out.
So my uncle wife took advantage of my wife because of too much respect. (wifey bleeped up big time). We recently moved close to them because she's the one who helped us with COS. She recommended a cooking pot (salad master) as we needed to set up the house and kitchen, but i declined immediately after i heard the price (4200 pound DD payment for 4years for 5pcs set.)
During the chat, i discovered she'll get about 500quid referral and thats why she's desperate for us to buy it. The discussion happend about 3 other times and my response was no. My uncle got involved at a point and he also supported her wife because that's what they use too but i insisted. Then she turned to my wife and start to convince her but we'd already discussed and it was a NO.
Fast forward to a month after, my wife was in their house sleeping, she then woke her up only for her to see the pot has been supplied, and they were already cooking with it for her induction and to use it. In the prescense of the supplier, my wife tried telling her we've already discussed this many times and we were not interested but she cut her and told her since they were already cooking with it, we cant opt out. She couldnt call me because she wasn't with her phone. She ensured all the paper works was done and DD was set before she let her near her phone. My wife has so much regard for her and that's why she couldn't say NO. Too much respect...

I got to know that day and i got mad at her, how can you let her lure you into a 4k financial engagement despite several discussions, she just dey cry and she was preggy....

I immediately told her to come take the pot but the supplier said no way, DD has been set and there's no going back)(dey don plan am.)
Bleep up i did was, i should've rang the company directly but i just gave up because i dont want issues between me and egbon.
Now, COS no get shift, there's no work in cardiff at all and all the load is on me. DD is 94quid per month and it's choking.

Here is my question, is there anything i can do to opt out legally? we're 6 months into the contract and it feels like forever, i dont mind losing 1k just to opt out, but i dont wanna do this no more... We can't afford with the all the bills and expenses we already have.

It's tiring...
I look forward to ya'lls suggestions

Try this again, make sure you document, probably community via email if possible.

( Speak to the Company Directly. While they might not be legally obliged to allow you to cancel, they might be sympathetic to your situation, especially if you're experiencing financial difficulties.

Thoroughly review the contract to understand the terms of cancellation. There might be a provision that allows for early termination with a penalty fee. This could be more manageable than continuing the monthly payments.

As mentioned earlier, if the company isn't helpful, consider reaching out to the Financial Ombudsman Service. They can assist in situations where consumers feel they've been treated unfairly. Explaining the circumstances surrounding your wife's decision may prompt them to investigate further.

It's important to seek legal advice before taking any action. An attorney with experience in contract law will be able to provide guidance on the viability of this argument in a legal setting. The concept of "duress" in contract law generally refers to situations where someone is forced or threatened into agreeing to a contract. The attorney will evaluate if your wife's circumstances can be categorized as such.)

Lastly, my advice,

(First and foremost, I want to acknowledge how challenging this situation must be for both of you, and it's entirely natural to feel a mix of emotions. I understand your frustration and the strain this puts on your finances, especially at such a crucial time with the baby on the way.

However, I'd advise you to approach this with a calm mindset. It's essential to remember that everyone, including ourselves, can sometimes find themselves in tricky situations due to unforeseen circumstances or decisions made under pressure. This could have happened to anyone, even you, in a different form or manner.

I understand the weight of the situation, but turning things bitter or difficult for your wife isn't the solution. She's currently carrying your child and needs your support and understanding more than ever. You both are partners, and this is a hurdle you'll need to cross together.

In times like these, I believe in seeking guidance through prayer. While situations may appear bleak now, life has a way of presenting solutions when we least expect them. We've all faced various challenges before, and looking back, we see they've become a part of our growth story. Similarly, this too shall pass.

Imagine if you were in her shoes, having made an unintentional error. How would you hope she'd react? It's a chance for compassion, understanding, and support. Life often tests our strength and patience in ways we don't anticipate.

I genuinely hope you both can find a middle ground and a solution that works best for your family. Remember, time has a unique way of healing wounds and making things better. Stay strong and united, especially now. I pray that God guides you both during this time and makes the path ahead smoother for you.

Take care and be there for each other.
)

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 12:33am On Sep 22, 2023
giselle237:

Nope. I have cancelled several dds for good reasons. … And once the company comes back to me, we take it from there. They can not force the payment from one’s bank account.
Nothing has gone to any records. Pls let’s stop fear mongering.

Not fear mongering. I have cancelled certain DD as well. But not all are without effect. I know a lad who cancelled his Vodafone DD because he felt they over charged him for a month. It’s gone as a missed payment on his record and takes 18 months to clear.

That’s my advice.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:13am On Sep 22, 2023
CowbellY:

Not fear mongering. I have cancelled certain DD as well. But not all are without effect. I know a lad who cancelled his Vodafone DD because he felt they over charged him for a month. It’s gone as a missed payment on his record and takes 18 months to clear.

That’s my advice.

Valid contract terms are generally upheld even decades on.
There are different types of DD but one put in place after a valid credit agreement shouldn't be cancelled unilaterally. It's why there are good consumer laws e.g 14 day cooling period. If not, folks would simply cancel their DD for their mortgage, pcp, insurance e.t.c as they see fit.

BTW, missed payment stays on one record for up to 6 yrs and can significantly impact ones chance of a good credit/mortgage in future.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:17am On Sep 22, 2023
Focus99:

Nigeria go fit better so? Hahahahahhahahaha the system is working here JESUS omo ehn

Una don start.... first week in the UK, first tickbox na to dey insult Nigeria..

Well to the outside world, Nigeria is a product of Nigerians. You'd not be seen as a special breed from Nigerian. Worth bearing that in mind.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 6:11am On Sep 22, 2023
jedisco:

Una don start.... first week in the UK, first tickbox na to dey insult Nigeria

Well to the outside world, Nigeria is a product of Nigerians. You'd not be seen as a special breed from Nigerian. Worth bearing that in mind.

That is not an insult to Nigeria, just factual statement.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yolkman20: 7:05am On Sep 22, 2023
Schoolhike:

Try this again, make sure you document, probably community via email if possible.

( Speak to the Company Directly. While they might not be legally obliged to allow you to cancel, they might be sympathetic to your situation, especially if you're experiencing financial difficulties.

Thoroughly review the contract to understand the terms of cancellation. There might be a provision that allows for early termination with a penalty fee. This could be more manageable than continuing the monthly payments.

As mentioned earlier, if the company isn't helpful, consider reaching out to the Financial Ombudsman Service. They can assist in situations where consumers feel they've been treated unfairly. Explaining the circumstances surrounding your wife's decision may prompt them to investigate further.

It's important to seek legal advice before taking any action. An attorney with experience in contract law will be able to provide guidance on the viability of this argument in a legal setting. The concept of "duress" in contract law generally refers to situations where someone is forced or threatened into agreeing to a contract. The attorney will evaluate if your wife's circumstances can be categorized as such.)

Lastly, my advice,

(First and foremost, I want to acknowledge how challenging this situation must be for both of you, and it's entirely natural to feel a mix of emotions. I understand your frustration and the strain this puts on your finances, especially at such a crucial time with the baby on the way.

However, I'd advise you to approach this with a calm mindset. It's essential to remember that everyone, including ourselves, can sometimes find themselves in tricky situations due to unforeseen circumstances or decisions made under pressure. This could have happened to anyone, even you, in a different form or manner.

I understand the weight of the situation, but turning things bitter or difficult for your wife isn't the solution. She's currently carrying your child and needs your support and understanding more than ever. You both are partners, and this is a hurdle you'll need to cross together.

In times like these, I believe in seeking guidance through prayer. While situations may appear bleak now, life has a way of presenting solutions when we least expect them. We've all faced various challenges before, and looking back, we see they've become a part of our growth story. Similarly, this too shall pass.

Imagine if you were in her shoes, having made an unintentional error. How would you hope she'd react? It's a chance for compassion, understanding, and support. Life often tests our strength and patience in ways we don't anticipate.

I genuinely hope you both can find a middle ground and a solution that works best for your family. Remember, time has a unique way of healing wounds and making things better. Stay strong and united, especially now. I pray that God guides you both during this time and makes the path ahead smoother for you.

Take care and be there for each other.
)

Thanks so much for your kind words. We sincerely appreciate. I've sent out emails to all the necessary bodies as suggested and I await response.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 8:26am On Sep 22, 2023
You should learn how to read to comprehend anyways. I asked a question NIGERIA GO FIT BETTER SO? how is this an insult na wa oh...I see a working system and I asked a question abeg get lost abeg abeg

jedisco:

Una don start.... first week in the UK, first tickbox na to dey insult Nigeria..

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 8:27am On Sep 22, 2023
Yes

gergemam:

Got NI within one week?

🤔🤔🤔🤔
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 8:29am On Sep 22, 2023
I meant lemfi is used for sending money and I guess NALA is also used to sending momey too...I wamted to know if NALA does something different

rinzylee:

Sorry I don't understand your question, could you rephrase please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Focus99: 8:34am On Sep 22, 2023
Thank you very much boss

Lexusgs430:

Don't buy £4000 pots or £2500 vaccum cleaner..........

Also scammers also plenty for this uk....... Don't sign anything, seek councel before you proceed.....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Firefly77: 8:44am On Sep 22, 2023
Hello guys, please I am in need of childcare in Margate Kent. I don't mind a live in nanny or a Nigerian or African childminder that I can take the kids to, from Monday to Friday. My kids are really small.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 9:59am On Sep 22, 2023
Focus99:
I meant lemfi is used for sending money and I guess NALA is also used to sending momey too...I wamted to know if NALA does something different

Nala just sends money. Lemfi recieves and sends as well

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by igbsam(m): 11:58am On Sep 22, 2023
Why na asians dey always run scam calls for this UK ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 1:08pm On Sep 22, 2023
Quick Question: I was having a talk with a friend when he said that Some one on a 3 or 5 years skilled worker visa can be paying for the IHS yearly for his/her dependents instead of paying it at once during application. Please Elders is this true?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2023
AgentXxx:
Quick Question: I was having a talk with a friend when he said that Some one on a 3 or 5 years skilled worker visa can be paying for the IHS yearly for his/her dependents instead of paying it at once during application. Please Elders is this true?

Except the dependent is applying yearly, no.

You pay IHS in full and upfront for the duration of the visa applied for.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2023
This isn't peculiar to UK oo, Asian are at the top of Scam worldwide. Anyways give us the full gist 😁
igbsam:
Why na asians dey always run scam calls for this UK ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 1:11pm On Sep 22, 2023
You mean the dependents will have to be paying for visa application and the IHS yearly?
koonbey:

Except the dependent is applying yearly, no.

You pay IHS in full and upfront for the duration of the visa applied for.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 22, 2023
AgentXxx:
You mean the dependents will have to be paying for visa application and the IHS yearly?

If the dependents apply for 5 year visa, they pay 5 years' IHS at the point of application - no way around that.

If they apply for 1 year visa, they pay 1 year IHS, and they can then apply for 1 year later and pay 1 year NHS again and so on and so forth. Obviously the cost of the visa applications will defeat the purpose but it's technically possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 1:19pm On Sep 22, 2023
Thanks for this enlightenment, didn't know it was possible. The reason for such is basically due to lack of funds to pay for 3 to 5years IHS fee once and not to reduce cost.
koonbey:

If the dependents apply for 5 year visa, they pay 5 years' IHS at the point of application - no way around that.

If they apply for 1 year visa, they pay 1 year IHS, and they can then apply for 1 year later and pay 1 year NHS again and so on and so forth. Obviously the cost of the visa applications will defeat the purpose but it's technically possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 22, 2023
AgentXxx:
Thanks for this enlightenment, didn't know it was possible. The reason for such is basically due to lack of funds to pay for 3 to 5years IHS fee once and not to reduce cost.

Just to be clear, you will be paying the full application fee each time, in addition to the IHS fee.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 2:08pm On Sep 22, 2023
Well understood.
koonbey:

Just to be clear, you will be paying the full application fee each time, in addition to the IHS fee.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ericadianas(f): 3:25pm On Sep 22, 2023
Wow!

Amazing!

How did you get a job o

Please help with tips.

I have been applying, rejection mail opoor.

I am on a dependant Student Visa.
Focus99:
So I came into UK ealry last week

I have registered for GP, Right to work, NI, electoral roll, Monzo and Lloyds bank

I got registered to a doctor at my GP and still waiting for NHS code so I can go back to my GP for further processing. I got my NI number already, got my monzo and Lloyds bank atm cards.

I got a job two days after I got to UK but still waiting for my DBS to come out cos the company requested for naija police certificate and I needed to make a contact to get in over from naija.

I got a sim with 3 network

I'm a student on a tier 4 visa

Anything else I need to know, apply for or do?

Oldies in the house abeg you guys should put me through oh

Thank you

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Greathand01: 4:06pm On Sep 22, 2023
Please which areas close to Woolwich, SE London can I look at for affordable accommodation..I don't mind 2hours to Woolwich sef.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Knowlegeseeking: 4:15pm On Sep 22, 2023
Hi Guys
Apart from the visa application fee of 100 pounds (or 115 after 4th of October), flight tickets and other expenses for the travelling, is there another fee charged by TLS for capturing? the Ikeja TLS UK standard visitors visa application?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:25pm On Sep 22, 2023
Greathand01:
Please which areas close to Woolwich, SE London can I look at for affordable accommodation..I don't mind 2hours to Woolwich sef.

2 hours to Woolwich is plenty o .......😂🤣

You can even seek accommodation in Margate or Slough or Luton......😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Wking: 4:50pm On Sep 22, 2023
My People can someone on care Tier 2 Visa get SIA badge?

(1) (2) (3) ... (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) (206) ... (544) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: akosh005

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.