Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (256) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467250 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (538) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by skayT: 8:25am On Oct 22, 2023
Hello Everyone!!

I urgently need your advice.

I'm currently in the UK on a dependant visa(tier 4), as my spouse is currently studying in the UK also.

I recently got two different job offers.

1) IT engineering job

2) Health care assistant job.

Please which one should I choose?

PS: I have got like 5 yrs experience in the IT field from Nigeria. But folks are saying I should go for the health care assistant job cuz of higher possibility of sponsorship from the health care assistant job.

Although the IT company didn't say anything about sponsorship. But upon researching on the gov.uk site, I found out that they are actually on the list of skill worker(A rating) sponsors.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 8:30am On Oct 22, 2023
The other day it was piercing of ears is genital mutilation something something.. rest guys.. rest. This is not a bala blu country. You can say follow what is on gov.uk and not to quote your own scaremongering themes as usual.
ILR ILR ILR songs morning till night. Unidentified home office assistants.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 8:37am On Oct 22, 2023
Mellady:
Hi everyone, please who has applied for Nigerian passport recentlyin UK? please how long did it take and can someone fast track it? Thank you. And please does Nigeria have a Nin registration centre here in UK? Thank you

Applied around March and got biometric appointment for early May. I did biometrics early May. Got my passport back early September.

There’s no fast track anymore. The people that I know that pulled the “long leg payment” ended up wasting money, cos they still waited like everyone else cheesy. Maybe fast track can help with biometrics date sha.

Your best bet is to start your passport processing as soon as your passport clocks 6 months to expiry, so you don’t run out of validity.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 8:38am On Oct 22, 2023
Efftyy:
Hello house .
I got a New BRP due to me switching Employer, so I was told to return my old BRP
My question is, will I buy postal stamp for the delivery or I will just cut it and put in an envelope to drop off in a postal box near me ?

Thank you

Cut the BRP into pieces, put in an envelope, address to the location indicated in the instructions, buy a postal stamp and post like you post anything else.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 8:42am On Oct 22, 2023
BorisJohnson:

ALL 4 BRPs I have ever used in the UK are still in an envelope, under my box.
I am keeping them as a sort of Time capsule in my museum /archive for my future generation.
I am keeping it safe. It’s not in wrong hands.
I’m good to go.

Hope you have £1,000 X 4 saved up when you get a fine sha cheesy cheesy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 8:45am On Oct 22, 2023
Tier4Dependant:
The recommendation is to cut and return.

Simple as ABC.

This has nothing to do with scaring people with ILR, it’s also none of my business if someone’s job is to note down those that has returned their BRP.

Someone said cut and dispose, someone said keep it under the bed.

Nothing wey musa no go see for gate ooo

Must be something in the Nigerian waters. Following simple laws (even when they are not difficult demands) dey always hard Nigerians. They must do coconut head for everything.

Do you want to eat the plastic? Nothing Aki and Pawpaw no go see for Mr Ibu’s hands true true cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 9:32am On Oct 22, 2023
giselle237:
The other day it was piercing of ears is genital mutilation something something.. rest guys.. rest. This is not a bala blu country. You can say follow what is on gov.uk and not to quote your own scaremongering themes as usual.
ILR ILR ILR songs morning till night. Unidentified home office assistants.

Oga! You should rest!!! The letter that comes with a new BRP says cut and return.

Simple instruction but the Nigerian in you will show yourself.

“Cut and dispose”

E say unidentified home office assistants 😂😂😂

Hian!!!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 9:34am On Oct 22, 2023
SamReinvented:

Must be something in the Nigerian waters. Following simple laws (even when they are not difficult demands) dey always hard Nigerians. They must do coconut head for everything.

Do you want to eat the plastic? Nothing Aki and Pawpaw no go see for Mr Ibu’s hands true true cheesy cheesy

cheesy I can’t believe this will drag. Everybody just like to dey show themselves for this faceless forum.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 10:09am On Oct 22, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

Oga! You should rest!!! The letter that comes with a new BRP says cut and return.

“Cut and dispose”

Hian!!!
Simple rules dey hard some people to follow. They are used to breaking the rules that it’s now a norm for them not to follow simple instructions.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 10:12am On Oct 22, 2023
skayT:
Hello Everyone!!

I'm currently in the UK on a dependant visa(tier 4), as my spouse is currently studying in the UK also.

1) IT engineering job

PS: I have got like 5 yrs experience in the IT field from Nigeria. But folks are saying I should go for the health care assistant job cuz of higher possibility of sponsorship from the health care assistant job.

Although the IT company didn't say anything about sponsorship. But upon researching on the gov.uk site, I found out that they are actually on the list of skill worker(A rating) sponsors.

IT engineering job. Anybody telling you otherwise lacks foresight. You are on a dependant visa and your situation can change in a year to a tier 2 visa. Take the route to career progression. It’s as simple as that.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 10:20am On Oct 22, 2023
skayT:
Hello Everyone!!

1) IT engineering job

Cast and bind the thought of HCA role.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 10:38am On Oct 22, 2023
IPTV lovers, which IPTV player will you recommend on firestick? I currently use IPTV Smarters and its becoming shitty.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tshoboy(m): 10:41am On Oct 22, 2023
skayT:
Hello Everyone!!

1) IT engineering job

It probably depends on how long you have left on your visa and funds you have. IT engineering is the best option even if it means paying for post studies visa. You can always ask that employer to sponsor you after some months of performing very well or change jobs after a year to a sponsoring employer.
You can chose HCA if you are very low on funds and current visa is about to expire.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 10:50am On Oct 22, 2023
tshoboy:

It probably depends on how long you have left on your visa and funds you have. IT engineering is the best option even if it means paying for post studies visa. You can always ask that employer to sponsor you after some months of performing very well or change jobs after a year to a sponsoring employer.
You can chose HCA if you are very low on funds and current visa is about to expire.
NO, NO and NO. Nobody should tie themselves down because of a temporary problem. If the person’s visa is about to expire and they are low on funds for a PSW, there are options to loan and pay for the visa, after all, them don get job so funds will come in. The visa can even be renewed with PayPal either through the PayPal pay in 3 (at no extra fee) or PayPal Credit or even through a credit card and pay in bits. So Like you said IT engineering is the best solution so make we leave am there and not confuse them any further.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:02am On Oct 22, 2023
If you are looking for volunteer roles for additional experience before graduation, you can check on - https://reachvolunteering.org.uk/, Mostly unpaid but you can add the experience to your CV

The Cyberhelpline is another one
--

If you are in Cybersecurity, you can try to get into the Cyblack internship also. For women, I think they also have Women in Cybersecurity (WiCys or something like that), DigiGirls, Cybersafe and Microsoft LEAP (Women are well taken care of in Tech angry )

--
10,00 Black Interns is a paid one and I think its between 3 - 6 months (Not for only tech folks)

Others, you can spot if you go through Linkedin profiles wink

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:29am On Oct 22, 2023
skayT:
Hello Everyone!!

1) IT engineering job

Please go for the IT Engineering one and avoid those ones saying health care assistant now and later in life. A lot of people in the UK are dabimoseda FC and they have the capacity to twist your orientation to match theirs. I have heard people saying "Oyinbo no dey give Nigerians jobs apart from care worker" and you wonder where they get that mentality from when a colleague who came into the UK less than 1 month ago has already gotten a Senior DevOps role that pays £85K.

People often can not see beyond their noses and came into the UK with very little plans to rise beyond where they are and you need to be careful how you interact with them.

If the company is on the sponsorship list, you can ask for sponsorship after probation has been passed. Even better as you have prior experience in Nigeria and tech in Nigeria is the same as tech in Afghanistan grin

All the best

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by HaneefahRN(f): 11:50am On Oct 22, 2023
skayT:
Hello Everyone!!

1) IT engineering job

IT engineering of course. Ask them to sponsor you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 12:08pm On Oct 22, 2023
I'm an incoming jjc (my partner is already in the UK).

So, I plan to buy my first car ever once I arrive. I've been checking on Autotrader but definitely know that Nairaland is the best place to get real life advice.

Can I get something affordable (under 3k) used, that won't give me trouble?

Besides the cost of the vehicle, what are some other expenses like tax and insurance (will both cost over 1k per year?)

Cc: Lexusgs430 (I saw one of ur car advice on part 2)

And finally, any general good advice is welcomed. Thank you in advance. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:24pm On Oct 22, 2023
directonpc:
I'm an incoming jjc (my partner is already in the UK).

So, I plan to buy my first car ever once I arrive. I've been checking on Autotrader but definitely know that Nairaland is the best place to get real life advice.

Can I get something affordable (under 3k) used, that won't give me trouble?

Besides the cost of the vehicle, what are some other expenses like tax and insurance (will both cost over 1k per year?)

Cc: Lexusgs430 (I saw one of ur car advice on part 2)

And finally, any general good advice is welcomed. Thank you in advance. smiley

My only advice to you, we have loads of scammers, in the vehicle trade business, to catch out JJC's........

Facebook marketplace is a scammers den....... Be warned....... 🤣😜

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

My only advice to you, we have loads of scammers, in the vehicle trade business, to catch out JJC's........

Facebook marketplace is a scammers den....... Be warned....... 🤣😜

Thank you. Does this mean I'm always going to get a better deal by going to a dealership than buying from a private owner?

And if you throw some light on my question about other costs like issuance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by meathewstiell5: 12:51pm On Oct 22, 2023
Schoolhike:

Same as me, I wish I had purchased this product a year earlier, especially given its energy efficiency.

Since buying it, my kitchen's smoke alarm, which used to be triggered when I cooked, hasn't gone off once due to the air being purified by the machine, did not even need to open the windows. A storage area in my apartment that had an unpleasant odor is now odor-free.

The mold situation in my house was so severe that it turned the ceiling black. Relying on sprays wasn't effective, and using them even made us all ill including the baby due to the chlorine content, causing symptoms including catarrh.

I believe the inclusion of air purifiers in the device contributes to its higher price, but it's worth it. Gone are the unpleasant smells in the house, and even my towels smell fresh after it dried up.
if you go with care fresh air purifier it would be life time solution for electric products.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dduchess90(f): 12:55pm On Oct 22, 2023
Hello

I didn’t know there was an argument about BRPs

Here’s how it works

Cutting and returning BRPs till ILR is advisory, it gets destroyed on arrival

Last ILR permit (BRP) before Citizenship MUST be cut into 4 and returned. The instruction for that is different and it goes with a note, saying that it is returned because the person is now a citizen plus other details like name, dob and the permit no on the BRP that is now cut in 4. That actually gets checked and the person will be fined if that isn’t done within days of getting his/her BC certificate

Regardless, getting caught with multiple BRPs raises concerns of forgery, impersonation etc even when the BRPs are yours.

I hope it helps

Cheers

Tier4Dependant:

“Cut and dispose”

Hian!!!

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 1:37pm On Oct 22, 2023
Please go for the IT Engineering job. That they are on the sponsorsed is a good sign and your 5 years experience is a plus. All you need to do is prove you are worth sponsoring (shine like a diamond) . I was in your shoe about two years ago and now it’s history.
skayT:
Hello Everyone!!

1) IT engineering job

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:05pm On Oct 22, 2023
directonpc:

Thank you. Does this mean I'm always going to get a better deal by going to a dealership than buying from a private owner?

No and Yes ......

Buying from a dealership, albeit might be more expensive, comes with more positives, than negatives.......

When you buy from a private seller, and you got issues with vehicle....... You might encounter resistance from seller ........

Cost of insurance, is usually based on many factors -:
- Type of vehicle
- Insured's job description
- Engine size
- Driver's history & experience
- Vehicle's theft status
etc etc etc ........😂

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 3:17pm On Oct 22, 2023
dduchess90:
Hello

Here’s how it works

Last ILR permit (BRP) before Citizenship MUST be cut into 4 and returned. The instruction for that is different and it goes with a note, saying that it is returned because the person is now a citizen plus other details like name, dob and the permit no on the BRP that is now cut in 4. That actually gets checked and the person will be fined if that isn’t done within days of getting his/her BC certificate

Regardless, getting caught with multiple BRPs raises concerns of forgery, impersonation etc even when the BRPs are yours.

I hope it helps

Cheers

What’s your source? I’d like to see the official guidance that says cutting and returning an invalid BRP is invalid if you don’t mind.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kode12: 3:19pm On Oct 22, 2023
directonpc:

Purchase from a private seller is “sold as seen”, meaning as you drive off it’s all your problem, also a private seller won’t accept a credit card payment. It’s just not worth the hassle with a private seller unless it’s a sale between you and someone you know well enough. Also, AA and RAC has a type of service where you can pay to have the car checked and confirmed before you buy it, so look into that as well before purchase.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OAT2: 3:27pm On Oct 22, 2023
Do we have anyone here that stays in Trowbridge or nearby towns like Bath , Bristol or Summerset. I need accommodation urgently that is pocket friendly. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 3:52pm On Oct 22, 2023
Tier4Dependant:
The recommendation is to cut and return.

Simple as ABC.

This has nothing to do with scaring people with ILR, it’s also none of my business if someone’s job is to note down those that has returned their BRP.

Someone said cut and dispose, someone said keep it under the bed.

Nothing wey musa no go see for gate ooo

I agree with you, but just to say that it's not actually a recommendation. It's an express, mandatory language. Here's the text from the letter:

Once you have updated your sign in document you must return your previous BRP to the Home Office as it is no longer valid.
The BRP card should be cut into quarters and posted (in a windowless plain envelope) to BRP Returns, P.O. Box 195, Bristol, BS20 1BT. You may have to pay a penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return an invalid BRP.

Obviously each person needs to decide on their own if keeping it as a keepsake is worth the risk.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 3:55pm On Oct 22, 2023
dduchess90:
Hello

Here’s how it works

I hope it helps

Cheers

This is wrong.

I just checked and both Home Office emails I have that have issued new BRPs since my original student one and they both required me to cut up any previous BRP into quarters and send to them.

I've pasted the excerpt in my comment above this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SPDAZZY(f): 4:05pm On Oct 22, 2023
koonbey:

This is wrong.

I just checked and both Home Office emails I have that have issued new BRPs since my original student one and they both required me to cut up any previous BRP into quarters and send to them.

I've pasted the excerpt in my comment above this.

I think you misunderstood her comment. She is actually telling people same thing you are saying "cut and return".
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dduchess90(f): 4:07pm On Oct 22, 2023
Hello

Your question is very unclear

Cutting and returning an invalid BRP is invalid?

Maybe if you rephrase your question I will be able to advise

My source is unique ☺️

Anyway there are generic guidelines you can read through

The first category is same with replacement BRP when lost,it also applies to replacement even when you switch visa categories. Here’s a link to read through: -go to section lost or stolen, it applies same as explained earlier :https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/lost-stolen-damaged

For the second category on sending your BRP after attaining your BC certificate, here’s a link to read through also-go to the section that says ‘after you get your certificate’: https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-indefinite-leave-to-remain

The core difference between both is the word ‘MUST’ in the second category

I hope that explains

Cheers
kode12:

What’s your source? I’d like to see the official guidance that says cutting and returning an invalid BRP is invalid if you don’t mind.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dduchess90(f): 4:13pm On Oct 22, 2023
Hello

Exactly

A lot of people are missing the point

1st set-Advisory- Best to do it between changing visa categories- No penalties necessary’ please note the word ‘May’ in HO letters.

2nd set after getting citizenship-Must do it-Penalties

Hopefully it cuts across to people now, if not I rest my case

Cheers

SPDAZZY:

I think you misunderstood her comment. She is actually telling people same thing you are saying "cut and return".

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (538) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Thewritingnerd(f), Ibro99, bns4eva and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.