Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,201 members, 7,815,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (257) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (464169 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 4:25pm On Oct 22, 2023
Your first response was to the wrong person that’s why people are thinking you are against cutting of BRP.
dduchess90:
Hello

Exactly

A lot of people are missing the point

1st set-Advisory- Best to do it between changing visa categories- No penalties necessary’ please note the word ‘May’ in HO letters.

2nd set after getting citizenship-Must do it-Penalties

Hopefully it cuts across to people now, if not I rest my case

Cheers

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by inphoenix: 4:25pm On Oct 22, 2023
Just thought to drop this here

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/cy/request/588049/response/1408595/attach/5/FOI%20Response%2054681.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Summary

Dear Ms Boateng

Thank you for your enquiry of 23 July in which you requested a variety of information
regarding Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs). Your enquiries have been handled
as a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Information Requested

FOI 54474
A 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19 database on the number of people who were
issued with civil penalties (and the range of fines issued) for failure to return their
old/expired biometric residence permits (BRP)
FOI 54681

As requested, I would like to clarify on what information I am hoping to receive.
Currently entry clearance applications under the Points Based System (PBS) receive
a vignette in their passports and a biometric residence permit (BRP) when they
arrive in the UK.

If they would like to extend or switch into different immigration categories, they would
need to make a Leave to Remain application. If their applications are successful,
they would receive new BRPs (making their expired or old BRP invalid)
The Home Office decision letters (applicants currently receive) states that the
applicant will need to return their expired or old BRP by cutting it up in 4 squares or
face a penalty of up to £1000 if they fail to do this.

Therefore, I am requesting a 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18 data showing the
following:
1) how many people returned their old or expired BRPs?
2) how many people were fined for failing to return their old or expired BRPs?
3) what was the range in fines people received?

Response

Regarding your above enquiries; to provide this information would invoke the FOI
cost limit exemption. Our electronic systems are unable to identify how many people
returned their old or expired BRPs records to UKVI.

In order to answer your enquiries, the Home Office would have to make a manual
trawl of all our records in order to collate your requested data. This would be neither
cost nor resource effective and therefore, under section 12(1) of the Act, the Home
Office is not obliged to comply with an information request where to do so would
exceed the designated cost limit. We believe that to provide the information you are
seeking would breach this cost limit and as such we are unable to supply it to you....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dduchess90(f): 4:26pm On Oct 22, 2023
Hello

Same generic closing paragraphs to use when issuing replacement BRPs or BC certificate

When it comes to enforcing the penalties, the team will look to see if you fall under the relevant category

That’s why the term ‘May ‘ is used

Again it is advised to do so

Cheers
koonbey:

This is wrong.

I just checked and both Home Office emails I have that have issued new BRPs since my original student one and they both required me to cut up any previous BRP into quarters and send to them.

I've pasted the excerpt in my comment above this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:27pm On Oct 22, 2023
hustla:

Please go for the IT Engineering one and avoid those ones saying health care assistant now and later in life. A lot of people in the UK are dabimoseda FC and they have the capacity to twist your orientation to match theirs. I have heard people saying "Oyinbo no dey give Nigerians jobs apart from care worker" and you wonder where they get that mentality from when a colleague who came into the UK less than 1 month ago has already gotten a Senior DevOps role that pays £85K.

People often can not see beyond their noses and came into the UK with very little plans to rise beyond where they are and you need to be careful how you interact with them.

If the company is on the sponsorship list, you can ask for sponsorship after probation has been passed. Even better as you have prior experience in Nigeria and tech in Nigeria is the same as tech in Afghanistan grin

All the best

e say na dabi moseda lol
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dduchess90(f): 4:31pm On Oct 22, 2023
Hello

Did you do an FOI for this

Interesting, I can imagine who received this request

Even with BC Certificate it will take an intel to chase penalties on not returning the last BRP

With limited resources, teams are behind in chasing that

Cheers
inphoenix:

Just thought to drop this here

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/cy/request/588049/response/1408595/attach/5/FOI%20Response%2054681.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Summary

Dear Ms Boateng

Thank you for your enquiry of 23 July in which you requested a variety of information
regarding Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs). Your enquiries have been handled
as a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Information Requested

FOI 54474
A 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19 database on the number of people who were
issued with civil penalties (and the range of fines issued) for failure to return their
old/expired biometric residence permits (BRP)
FOI 54681

As requested, I would like to clarify on what information I am hoping to receive.
Currently entry clearance applications under the Points Based System (PBS) receive
a vignette in their passports and a biometric residence permit (BRP) when they
arrive in the UK.

If they would like to extend or switch into different immigration categories, they would
need to make a Leave to Remain application. If their applications are successful,
they would receive new BRPs (making their expired or old BRP invalid)
The Home Office decision letters (applicants currently receive) states that the
applicant will need to return their expired or old BRP by cutting it up in 4 squares or
face a penalty of up to £1000 if they fail to do this.

Therefore, I am requesting a 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18 data showing the
following:
1) how many people returned their old or expired BRPs?
2) how many people were fined for failing to return their old or expired BRPs?
3) what was the range in fines people received?

Response

Regarding your above enquiries; to provide this information would invoke the FOI
cost limit exemption. Our electronic systems are unable to identify how many people
returned their old or expired BRPs records to UKVI.

In order to answer your enquiries, the Home Office would have to make a manual
trawl of all our records in order to collate your requested data. This would be neither
cost nor resource effective and therefore, under section 12(1) of the Act, the Home
Office is not obliged to comply with an information request where to do so would
exceed the designated cost limit. We believe that to provide the information you are
seeking would breach this cost limit and as such we are unable to supply it to you....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Firefunmi2014: 4:52pm On Oct 22, 2023
Good evening all.

Please , I will like to find out how to join or start Taxi business in UK.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:03pm On Oct 22, 2023
Firefunmi2014:
Good evening all.

Please , I will like to find out how to join or start Taxi business in UK.

Thank you

As a driver or operator.......

Driver - Start by obtaining a PCO licence

Operator - Uber ti take over ......... grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 5:09pm On Oct 22, 2023
The whole idea of cutting BRP & returning is so that it is not used for ‘other’ reasons.
NOBODY is ever going to deny ANYBODY ILR because of failure to return very old BRP.

As the duchess said, it’s different if it’s from ILR to Citizenship. But if it’s from one visa to another, no one wasted their time playing jigsaw puzzle with pieces of BRP to record who has returned and who hasn’t.

By the way, when it’s ILR time, and I say I sent it via Royal Mail/Post office 4 years ago. How will the UKVI prove that I did not? Remember, the onus is on them to prove that I did not return it.

Whereas I agree that it’s cool to cut and return (if you have the time, patience and £0.56 stamp & envelope), nobody. I mean NOBODY will deny anyone ILR on that basis.

All this ILR scare-mongering is a bit too much.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Firefunmi2014: 6:01pm On Oct 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:

As a driver or operator.......

Driver - Start by obtaining a PCO licence

Operator - Uber ti take over ......... grin

As operator, using my car to hustle.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 6:15pm On Oct 22, 2023
kode12:

What’s your source? I’d like to see the official guidance that says cutting and returning an invalid BRP is invalid if you don’t mind.

What are you trying to say? There in place the poster mentioned that "cutting and returning an invalid BRP is invalid" so I'm not sure where you get that from?

Also, it is mandatory to cut and return your invalid BRB, infact the email from UKVI made it clear and even goes further to state that failing to do so will amount to a fine of £1k
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:20pm On Oct 22, 2023
Firefunmi2014:

As operator, using my car to hustle.

You would be classified a driver(not operator)........ No go do Kabu Kabu o .......😂

Your vehicle must have zero emissions, to be registered by TfL........

Read up on vehicle requirements, I don't know if TfL still accepts hybrid vehicle's.........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 6:28pm On Oct 22, 2023
Lexusgs430:
For those saying IPTV is crap on match days ...... Simply use a VPN ....... I use Vpnify.......😂😁

Which server location?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:32pm On Oct 22, 2023
toughest007:

Which server location?

Anywhere else, not UK .......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 7:01pm On Oct 22, 2023
BorisJohnson:

ALL 4 BRPs I have ever used in the UK are still in an envelope, under my box.
I am keeping them as a sort of Time capsule in my museum /archive for my future generation.
I am keeping it safe. It’s not in wrong hands.
I’m good to go.

The instruction is clear... Cut and mail back to them or pay the sum of £1,000.

What would I be doing with an expired BRP There are loads of other documents that will give a better time lapse.

No one is denying anyone ILR on this account. The £1,000 fine nullifies the offence.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 7:42pm On Oct 22, 2023
Good day all

Anyone here who moved from Canada to the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 7:58pm On Oct 22, 2023
Ukliving:
Good day all

Do people do that?
What I’ve always seen is the opposite.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2023
Stamp duty on a second property is huge.

Do people buy second or additional properties?

How do you feel using almost a mortgage deposit to pay stamp duty?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:51pm On Oct 22, 2023
Ukliving:
Good day all

Seen something like that on YT

Reverse is almost always the case ... and then further pivot to the US wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by skayT: 5:14am On Oct 23, 2023
Thank you for your honest reply.

Thank you to every other person that have replied me.
My case is actually similar to that colleague of yours, as I have only been in the UK for less than a month. However, my salary is a lot lower than his smiley
I thought I was going insane when I was trying to explain to folks why I have to go for this IT engineering job as against the Health care assistant.

I know it can only get better once I start this IT engineering role, as my UK job experience will begin to count, and I can easily switch to another company if the IT company won't increase my salary/offer COS after the 6 months probation
hustla:

Please go for the IT Engineering one and avoid those ones saying health care assistant now and later in life. A lot of people in the UK are dabimoseda FC and they have the capacity to twist your orientation to match theirs. I have heard people saying "Oyinbo no dey give Nigerians jobs apart from care worker" and you wonder where they get that mentality from when a colleague who came into the UK less than 1 month ago has already gotten a Senior DevOps role that pays £85K.

People often can not see beyond their noses and came into the UK with very little plans to rise beyond where they are and you need to be careful how you interact with them.

If the company is on the sponsorship list, you can ask for sponsorship after probation has been passed. Even better as you have prior experience in Nigeria and tech in Nigeria is the same as tech in Afghanistan grin

All the best
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:42am On Oct 23, 2023
skayT:

My case is actually similar to that colleague of yours, as I have only been in the UK for less than a month. However, my salary is a lot lower than his smiley
I thought I was going insane when I was trying to explain to folks why I have to go for this IT engineering job as against the Health care assistant.

I know it can only get better once I start this IT engineering role, as my UK job experience will begin to count, and I can easily switch to another company if the IT company won't increase my salary/offer COS after the 6 months probation

Don't worry, they will

Everything go soft grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Abubanty: 7:32am On Oct 23, 2023
skayT:

Pls can I DM
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 8:23am On Oct 23, 2023
Looking for Individual coming to Essex colchester, Next month for buddy-up to secure accommodation. if you are interested kindly DM me.

I want to secure a two bed accommodation already in Uk
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Fraih(f): 9:04am On Oct 23, 2023
Hello guys, I'll like more clarity on the changes to Students Visa.
A parent recently moved to the UK, studying Sept 23 session while the dependant child still in Nigeria. Come Jan 24 and after, can the child still be granted visa or it has to be before January?
Or the changes affect only those whose academic session starts Jan 24
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by America001: 9:48am On Oct 23, 2023
Lexusgs430:

What did I read you did....... Subscribed to duolingo........ Meet me at the market square, closest to you........ I need to test my horsewhip........ 😜🤣

Boss, I'm learning French abeg 🤣🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by fatee2000(f): 11:00am On Oct 23, 2023
Your dependent can join you at anytime so long as your course start date is before January 2024.
Fraih:
Hello guys, I'll like more clarity on the changes to Students Visa.
A parent recently moved to the UK, studying Sept 23 session while the dependant child still in Nigeria. Come Jan 24 and after, can the child still be granted visa or it has to be before January?
Or the changes affect only those whose academic session starts Jan 24

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Adeshizzy: 11:11am On Oct 23, 2023
skayT:
Hello Everyone!!

I urgently need your advice.

I'm currently in the UK on a dependant visa(tier 4), as my spouse is currently studying in the UK also.

I recently got two different job offers.

1) IT engineering job

2) Health care assistant job.

Please which one should I choose?

PS: I have got like 5 yrs experience in the IT field from Nigeria. But folks are saying I should go for the health care assistant job cuz of higher possibility of sponsorship from the health care assistant job.

Although the IT company didn't say anything about sponsorship. But upon researching on the gov.uk site, I found out that they are actually on the list of skill worker(A rating) sponsors.

Baba,dont think twice,Go for the IT engineering role
even if they dont later sponsor,you will most likely get another company that will sponsor,also, you would have added Uk work experience to your 5 years experience from nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:04pm On Oct 23, 2023
America001:

Bonjour
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:07pm On Oct 23, 2023
America001:

pourquoi s'abonner, quand on peut l'obtenir gratuitement...........😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Overthinker: 12:46pm On Oct 23, 2023
Schoolhike:

Yes, it does, even the 12 liters type should do.

My apartment consistently faced issues with high humidity, leading to a cold environment, mold growth, condensation on windows, and even damage to lots of my furnitures and wallpapers last year.

However, since I started using this electric dehumidifier, I've been collecting between 3.5 to 4.5 liters of water daily. It made a significant difference, all the spaces, including all bedrooms and bathroom are now very dry

I tried various dehumidifying sprays before, but they weren't effective. Addressing the core issue of excessive moisture has proven beneficial. Plus, I now spend less on heating as the heater is not battling with cold moisture by trying to heat up the cold moistured air first, making the heating more efficient.

Hello @Schoolhike I sent you a dm here on nairaland but got no reply, I have an interview with the civil service on a role for product manager, I am researching on YouTube about what I might face during the interview but I won't mind you helping out also since it's something you know more about, thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 12:54pm On Oct 23, 2023
Be ready to talk extensively about your experience using STAR techniques. Read the civil service behavior success profile very well. All the best
Overthinker:

Hello @Schoolhike I sent you a dm here on nairaland but got no reply, I have an interview with the civil service on a role for product manager, I am researching on YouTube about what I might face during the interview but I won't mind you helping out also since it's something you know more about, thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by KOVIC19COVID20: 3:20pm On Oct 23, 2023

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 3:26pm On Oct 23, 2023
KOVIC19COVID20:

Once again, thanks to Justwise & Lexusgs430.
I have already used my clipper 8 times now. By every standard, I have saved over £80 already - and still have the clipper.

Na so I come ‘vex’ buy more as Souvenir for my pals.

Bro, I'd like to join your circle of friends ooooo. Just so when you buy a car that you enjoy so well, na so you go just vex buy same type for everyone of us grin grin

Nice gesture btw!

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Lexusgs430, ayshegz, fatima04 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.