Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,964 members, 7,828,428 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (342) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (485030 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) ... (553) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:55am On Dec 05, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Sure..... Unless law changed.......
If both of you are legally here, the non citizen can marry the citizen here in the UK.

I attended the court wedding of a student and a citizen November last year and the non citizen has gotten her 5 years visa with no restrictions.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Owoado(m): 11:00am On Dec 05, 2023
Aremson14:
Omo…. Guys, would you advise someone to leave his current job of about 200k vs a fully funded scholarship with living costs covered given the recent changes ?
The 200k is which currency? Scholarship in what school or country at least?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:02am On Dec 05, 2023
Viruses:

If both of you are legally here, the non citizen can marry the citizen here in the UK.

I attended the court wedding of a student and a citizen November last year and the non citizen has gotten her 5 years visa with no restrictions.

Sharp student......... No time to waste time ........😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NotATroll: 11:05am On Dec 05, 2023
Abeg I dey plan japa to UK next year but, people just dey discourage me say e dey super hard. Say you go dey work for life and you no go fit save anything.
I want to go through study then just hang for there after.
How far abeg any info make una epp person
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AKALAMAGBO: 11:20am On Dec 05, 2023
How did you come up with this or where did you get the information from?
iiiyyyk:

Only British citizens or those on ILR can apply for spouse/family visa, if they have an income of 38k+

Family visa is different from dependent visa.

The dependants of those who came in with 3yrs care visa would be stranded once their visa ends after 3yrs

I believe people should avoid UK for now.

Wether care visa or student Visa...many won't find it easy.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:23am On Dec 05, 2023
NotATroll:
Abeg I dey plan japa to UK next year but, people just dey discourage me say e dey super hard. Say you go dey work for life and you no go fit save anything.

Those discouraging you, where are they?

grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Aremson14(m): 11:25am On Dec 05, 2023
Owoado:
The 200k is which currency? Scholarship in what school or country at least?

200k ngn… university in Scotland MSc data science, scholarship pays like 700pounds every month
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 11:29am On Dec 05, 2023
NotATroll:

The decision is ultimately up to you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Opeolami(m): 11:39am On Dec 05, 2023
Good morning house.

Please, I have issue with getting my BRP. I came in through the care worker route. Before I left Nigeria I received a message of possible delayed still now, I have not received any message confirming it's availability.

What did I need to do? I am in the UK for over ten days.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 11:57am On Dec 05, 2023
Zahra29:

I doubt it, at least not anytime soon.

Starmer would seek closer ties to the EU first

Also, Starmer would tread very carefully or else Labour risks once again carrying all the blame for high migration figures, and getting locked out of power for another 10 years.

Zahra29? Labour will make changes to this or introduce another visa route to entice foreigners.

The UK will struggle to remain competitive without immigrants, just wait after next generation election and see what happens.

I know that Nigerians and Indians specifically abused the care and student visa routes badly hence this policy but the British government encouraged the abuse by focusing on the revenue generated through visa applications alone

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NezzyMike: 11:58am On Dec 05, 2023
NotATroll:

Better pay 6 months rent upfront, pay half of your school fees because to get job here na war...most are really depressed cus the labour market is saturated! Can you pay fees, rent and food with 16 hours job? Think well cus who no know no go know!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NotATroll: 12:52pm On Dec 05, 2023
hustla:

Those discouraging you, where are they?

grin

3 of them came back after school

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NotATroll: 12:53pm On Dec 05, 2023
NezzyMike:

Better pay 6 months rent upfront, pay half of your school fees because to get job here na war...most are really depressed cus the labour market is saturated! Can you pay fees, rent and food with 16 hours job? Think well cus who no know no go know!!

Thanks for the heads up sir.
This one na another fear you don plant so cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 1:01pm On Dec 05, 2023
Truth is.. it is evidence like this and then Tiamiyu's interview with BBC that are the qualitative data findings used to further back their new migration policies..

Even if they had it in mind before the interview etc. these findings will strengthen and even increase the checks and measures to be implemented, especially as Tiamiyu is a dependent himself and is a perfect representation of the data they need.

He also needed the "fame" I guess...

We can cry and cry about the new rules, but I can't say Nigerians treat themselves better.. £68k?

One thing about Fisayo Soyombo is that he is thorough before he makes his investigation public..

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:01pm On Dec 05, 2023
NotATroll:

Interesting

Well, that might be their own POV

Out of curiosity, were they gainfully employed in Nigeria before leaving?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 1:03pm On Dec 05, 2023
justwise:

Zahra29? Labour will make changes to this or introduce another visa route to entice foreigners.

The UK will struggle to remain competitive without immigrants, just wait after next generation election and see what happens.

I know that Nigerians and Indians specifically abused the care and student visa routes badly hence this policy but the British government encouraged the abuse by focusing on the revenue generated through visa applications alone

I agree with you completely. I have always said that the govt know what to do to curb the abuse. Now that they need to score political point, they finally see the need to regulate care visa.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ceejay2: 1:21pm On Dec 05, 2023
iiiyyyk:

The dependants of those who came in with 3yrs care visa would be stranded once their visa ends after 3yrs

In that case both husband and wife would apply for sponsorship so none would be a dependent anymore and there’s no way they would send the kids back home

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 1:33pm On Dec 05, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
This thread is not active enough for me given that announcement, I came here expecting to see 10 pages. 🌚

Lol. Same here. This is groundbreaking!!!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AKALAMAGBO: 1:42pm On Dec 05, 2023
He’s not sure of that, don’t make any sense of it.

It doesn’t make sense, what of the ones that gave birth here on dependent visa. Would they ask them to send the kids home? To whom?
Ceejay2:

In that case both husband and wife would apply for sponsorship so none would be a dependent anymore and there’s no way they would send the kids back home

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NotATroll: 1:57pm On Dec 05, 2023
hustla:

Interesting

Well, that might be their own POV

Out of curiosity, were they gainfully employed in Nigeria before leaving?

Yes sir
2 of them were employed with a pretty decent salary
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:58pm On Dec 05, 2023
Viruses:

The non citizen would have been given a 30 month visa ( to renew after 2.5years), not 5 years

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:07pm On Dec 05, 2023
iiiyyyk:

Only British citizens or those on ILR can apply for spouse/family visa, if they have an income of 38k+

Family visa is different from dependent visa.

I believe people should avoid UK for now.

Wether care visa or student Visa...many won't find it easy.

Shebi when I said people should try other countries, they came for me as if I made a blasphemy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:13pm On Dec 05, 2023
justwise:

Let's wait and see

Note though that Labour did not oppose the govt plans yesterday and are actively in support of some such as scrapping the shortage occupation list.

I remember debating a few months ago that high immigration was a time bomb and wouldn't sustain, but the response was that the govt would not move to restrict immigrants and students, they need immigrants etc.
That may be true, but they need/want to be in power far more.

Besides the new policies aren't stopping immigrants from coming to the UK. The aim is to reduce the number of immigrants and their dependants but many immigrants such as
nurses, doctors, teachers etc are unaffected. Care workers who don't have dependants or are willing to live here without their family, are also unaffected.

Some policies, such as the high salary threshold for British dependants, might be reviewed later because of the impact on British citizens and their right to family life. But I highly doubt Labour will relax the rules to the same extent that Boris did, cos they know that will only cause a huge spike in immigration again, which they will get blamed for.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:15pm On Dec 05, 2023
justwise:

People were forced to go the care route because the uk refused to open up other sectors in terms of immigration policy, from the stats just 66,000 skilled workers visa outside the healthcare sector was given in the last 1 year for an economy that’s the 5th largest in the world. Honestly all the noise about net migration is just too unnecessary. All I see is deceit and unnecessary irritation.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 2:16pm On Dec 05, 2023
NotATroll:

This is why they are discouraging you, so that you won't make it where they didn't make it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Aremson14(m): 2:19pm On Dec 05, 2023
Goke7:

People were forced to go the care route because the uk refused to open up other sectors in terms of immigration policy, from the stats just 66,000 skilled workers visa outside the healthcare sector was given in the last 1 year for an economy that’s the 5th largest in the world. Honestly all the noise about net migration is just too unnecessary. All I see is deceit and unnecessary irritation.

I want to confirm o this skilled worker law does it so includes someone with sponsorship?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 2:19pm On Dec 05, 2023
Zahra29:

The non citizen would have been given a 30 month visa ( to renew after 2.5years), not 5 years

Was given 5 years visa, except I was lied to.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:22pm On Dec 05, 2023
profemebee:
Truth is.. it is evidence like this and then Tiamiyu's interview with BBC that are the qualitative data findings used to further back their new migration policies..

Even if they had it in mind before the interview etc. these findings will strengthen and even increase the checks and measures to be implemented, especially as Tiamiyu is a dependent himself and is a perfect representation of the data they need.

He also needed the "fame" I guess...

We can cry and cry about the new rules, but I can't say Nigerians treat themselves better.. £68k?

One thing about Fisayo Soyombo is that he is thorough before he makes his investigation public..

People literally became rich off scamming their brothers. Such a shame

Thankfully the gravy train is now closed for good. Any agency or care home that wants to sponsor a care visa now needs to be regulated by the CQC so there is no room for visa fraud. There will be strict guidelines and audits etc.

It would be interesting to see if they require all existing care sponsors to register with the CQC. If so a number of care agencies and homes are in danger of losing their sponsorship license.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:23pm On Dec 05, 2023
Viruses:

You were lied to 😂

They probably mean that they are on a 5 yr route to permanent residence

Spousal visas are maximum 30months, then apply for another 30 months (if still married plus meeting other conditions such as income threshold ) and then apply for ILR. So it takes a minimum of 5 years to attain ILR

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2023
they lied to you

2.5years first then a renewal to take it to just over 5years then ILR and British citizenship .. i'm on same route

Viruses:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:33pm On Dec 05, 2023
Goke7:

No one was forced into care. Many people e.g. with families chose the care route to avoid the cost of IHS. Many chose to prioritise a quicker /surer route to settlement over following their chosen career. Many chose care over PSW for the above reasons.
All valid choices, but they were not forced.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:39pm On Dec 05, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
This thread is not active enough for me given that announcement, I came here expecting to see 10 pages. 🌚

Lol, most of the arguments debates were done ahead of the announcement (just scroll back a few pages 😂)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) ... (553) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: jedisco(m), Teenuh and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.