Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,461 members, 7,812,409 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (345) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (460326 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) ... (531) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 9:32pm On Dec 05, 2023
umarwy:

Slave trade v2.0

Neocolonialism
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:32pm On Dec 05, 2023
gmacnoms:
Try Dey calm down and have fun sometimes. Life no too serious. Since I come uk, my take home pass that 44k offer. Meanwhile, na Kaya I still Dey do. Try they chill sometimes

OK smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 9:45pm On Dec 05, 2023
hustla:

A topic was opened for debate for everyone owing to new rules and you just had to let this snide remark jump out. I have noticed this is also common among Nigerians in the UK Twitter (NIUK) community.

If people stop sharing their experiences, it's the same Nigerians like you who will say the Indians don't do this or that. The purpose of sharing on this platform is so people can have more information and know that some things are POSSIBLE and can be done, which is why I always preach upskilling and trying to do better (if circumstances allow it as everyone has different responsibilities).

Is it bad if Nigerians occupy top positions like the Indians?? Is it bad if we try to encourage each other to go for top positions? If you go interview and see 2 Nigerians on the panel at a top multinational, is it bad?? The purpose of sharing things is not to engage in a dick measuring contest, it's a way for people to know that things are not out of our reach if we aim higher and put in the work

Believe what you believe or not, people earn really, really well in this same UK we shout they're stingy with salaries. I lost a £44K offer (not a high salary but not bad per UK standards) last month to someone who was able to start immediately. It was a Security Analyst role at RCA and they were ready to offer sponsorship without thinking twice. Funny enough, the IT Manager was a Nigerian lady.
I just got back from a 2nd stage interview 1 hr ago and its a similar position, offering something similar

Spent about 1 hour on the phone with a friend of mine who got a job at one of the largest insurance companies in the world last week, total package, about £100,000 (Attached). Same guy still has an interview with Manchester United this week.

Another one got an offer with Lloyds Register; both of them aren't even 4 months old in the UK. These are not people I have heard of; they are close friends, so IT CAN BE DONE.

Again, It can be done smiley

Just to add:

Some of us come on here to reply or give our 2 cents on topical issues doesn't mean we don't have job or better things to do.

Some poeple are on this thread to judge and attack others. We need to do better as a people that's the way we can grow.

Mate i dey your DM

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:01pm On Dec 05, 2023
LionInZion:

So una don dey choose prefects for this thread without election? shocked shocked

Imagine o, when I no steal any mandate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Susom(f): 10:10pm On Dec 05, 2023
Just to add that , you can give anyone your lemonade generated naira account to pay into and then effect from there to your UK account through Lemonade
I
Chreze:

Thanks. Really do appreciate.

I already have a LemFi account.

Thanks for the info’s.

👏
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 10:50pm On Dec 05, 2023
Goke7:

Imagine o, when I no steal any mandate

Lol. Don't worry, on your mandate we shall stand grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 10:58pm On Dec 05, 2023
I am very very sorry you were affected. Hopefully, this ba*****d govt will be voted out soon .
gmacnoms:
me still Dey think wetin I go do now. Abi you think say e no affect me when e finally take effect?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 10:59pm On Dec 05, 2023
iyatrustee:

Very straight forward. One policeman charged me 100k and made it look like it was hard to process. I took a risk and applied online, paid the 30k last thursday, by Friday they sent the form to capture my fingerprints and certificate issued yesterday!

The olopa don call tire, no be my head his detty december dey cheesy

You are not nice oooo. Let the olopa sef chop small from your panstalin now grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 11:32pm On Dec 05, 2023
LionInZion:

Lol. Don't worry, on your mandate we shall stand grin

grin You sha wan put me inside wahala, i dash you the mandate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 11:48pm On Dec 05, 2023
Goke7:

grin You sha wan put me inside wahala, i dash you the mandate

grin grin i no want ooo
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 11:59pm On Dec 05, 2023
Which one is from the UK? Is it different from the one gotten on Possap?
Nanorest:

I only know about how to get it easily from the UK without stress
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by boneruns(m): 12:14am On Dec 06, 2023
hustla:

A topic was opened for debate for everyone owing to new rules and you just had to let this snide remark jump out. I have noticed this is also common among Nigerians in the UK Twitter (NIUK) community.

If people stop sharing their experiences, it's the same Nigerians like you who will say the Indians don't do this or that. The purpose of sharing on this platform is so people can have more information and know that some things are POSSIBLE and can be done, which is why I always preach upskilling and trying to do better (if circumstances allow it as everyone has different responsibilities).

Is it bad if Nigerians occupy top positions like the Indians?? Is it bad if we try to encourage each other to go for top positions? If you go interview and see 2 Nigerians on the panel at a top multinational, is it bad?? The purpose of sharing things is not to engage in a dick measuring contest, it's a way for people to know that things are not out of our reach if we aim higher and put in the work

Believe what you believe or not, people earn really, really well in this same UK we shout they're stingy with salaries. I lost a £44K offer (not a high salary but not bad per UK standards) last month to someone who was able to start immediately. It was a Security Analyst role at RCA and they were ready to offer sponsorship without thinking twice. Funny enough, the IT Manager was a Nigerian lady.
I just got back from a 2nd stage interview 1 hr ago and its a similar position, offering something similar

Spent about 1 hour on the phone with a friend of mine who got a job at one of the largest insurance companies in the world last week, total package, about £100,000 (Attached). Same guy still has an interview with Manchester United this week.

Another one got an offer with Lloyds Register; both of them aren't even 4 months old in the UK. These are not people I have heard of; they are close friends, so IT CAN BE DONE.

Again, It can be done smiley

I agree with you completely that Nigerians should aim high, and I am sure we have couple of Nigerians in the U.K. manning big positions and earning real high. I have an acquaintance who worked in same industry in Nigeria, working in one of the American software development firms in the U.K. and he earns over 60k, so I can relate very well with you.

But permit me to ask, are these friends of yours in cybersecurity? If so, were security clearance required for these positions they got, since they have been in the U.K. few months and SC requires 5 years of living in the U.K.

Sometimes I get depressed about the professional job search stuff. Rejections left, right and centre when they hear one is with a student visa. I recently attended an interview for a Band 6 cybersecurity role in NHS, got a call from the HR that I scored high in the ranking, but they have to consider an insider within NHS who applied for same role, but they can keep me on hold and let me know when something comes up, if I will be interested. I begin say Wetin send this guy apply for this particular role.

I just believe something will come up soon hopefully.

So just to ask the experienced professionals here, can one include in an CV unrelated work experience gained the U.K. while as a student to cover for employment gap? I’m asking because of U.K. experience stuff. I work in retail sector and I can somehow relate what I do to cybersecurity during interviews, but I just do not know if it fits into a CV.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 12:23am On Dec 06, 2023
NotATroll:

Hmmmmmmm
Are you saying it's much better than people let out ?
Um selling my entire life to move so na one way

If you had made this move since, we won't be having this conversation now, by now is way forward we would be discussing.

It's better you try and fail then move on than not trying and keep contemplating for years.

Trying and failing is better than not trying at all.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:29am On Dec 06, 2023
boneruns:

I agree with you completely that Nigerians should aim high, and I am sure we have couple of Nigerians in the U.K. manning big positions and earning real high. I have an acquaintance who worked in same industry in Nigeria, working in one of the American software development firms in the U.K. and he earns over 60k, so I can relate very well with you.

But permit me to ask, are these friends of yours in cybersecurity? If so, were security clearance required for these positions they got, since they have been in the U.K. few months and SC requires 5 years of living in the U.K.

Sometimes I get depressed about the professional job search stuff. Rejections left, right and centre when they hear one is with a student visa. I recently attended an interview for a Band 6 cybersecurity role in NHS, got a call from the HR that I scored high in the ranking, but they have to consider an insider within NHS who applied for same role, but they can keep me on hold and let me know when something comes up, if I will be interested. I begin say Wetin send this guy apply for this particular role.

So just to ask the experienced professionals here, can one include in an CV unrelated work experience gained the U.K. while as a student to cover for employment gap? I’m asking because of U.K. experience stuff. I work in retail sector and I can somehow relate what I do to cybersecurity during interviews, but I just do not know if it fits into a CV.

Thanks.

Don't be depressed o. Applications are free and your eyes should be on what you want with the belief that you only need one YES, only One.

I think while in the UK, one should try to get some internship experience which can be added to the cv. I believe it qualifies as "UK experience"

Thing is, those guys came from Naija with experience already. Guy at Lloyds worked freelance DevOps roles, last role was at Andela and he did a bit of Azure Identity when we worked together so he got a DevSec ops role here. None of them were asked for security clearance

Rejections are part of the game. You'll get used to it and also learn from it. Several others applied for the NHS role too but didn't even smell interview, you can build on that

The first interview I got was at Starling, IAM Analyst. Got rejected cos I wasn't too prepared but I used the knowledge gained during the 2nd interview... So it gets better once you patch up the areas you aren't so good at

Better dey come. You'll still come and do giveaway here grin

Ma fo wink

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 12:29am On Dec 06, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Well, this isn’t entirely right because theres also an “illusion of choice” where the available choices are limited or predetermined and set to intentionally steer you in a certain direction.

So it’s not exactly “free choice” if the choices they’ve intentionally made available steers you in a certain direction and you HAVE to make it, because your survival depends on it. Anything that involves survival cannot be said to be “choice”.

Depends on perspective.

If you look at it from this angle, you could say the choices were limited because people need to follow survival instincts.

But going back to the beginning, nobody actually forced you to leave Nigeria where freedom of choice is in abundance to a land where same is limited.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by boneruns(m): 12:43am On Dec 06, 2023
hustla:

Don't be depressed o. Applications are free and your eyes should be on what you want with the belief that you only need one YES, only One.

I think while in the UK, one should try to get some internship experience which can be added to the cv. I believe it qualifies as "UK experience"

Thing is, those guys came from Naija with experience already. Guy at Lloyds worked freelance DevOps roles, last role was at Andela and he did a bit of Azure Identity when we worked together so he got a DevSec ops role here. None of them were asked for security clearance

Rejections are part of the game. You'll get used to it and also learn from it. Several others applied for the NHS role too but didn't even smell interview, you can build on that

The first interview I got was at Starling, IAM Analyst. Got rejected cos I wasn't too prepared but I used the knowledge gained during the 2nd interview... So it gets better once you patch up the areas you aren't so good at

Ma fo wink

Thanks bro for the encouragement.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:55am On Dec 06, 2023
boneruns:

Thanks bro for the encouragement.

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:27am On Dec 06, 2023
hustla:

Ma fo wink
I don’t even want to talk about the number of rejections I got until I got my first yes. Grown man dey cry for inside car but dey form hard guy for inside house. At the end of the day even the salary every month dey vex me on top the amount of tax but my people go dey say person dey lie to make themselves feel better. We can’t all earn the same salary but just because someone else is earning higher no mean say person go dey get high blood pressure or think say na 🧢 ontop another person salary, come dey disguise the wizard behaviour with humour. Na our way, I no dey ever expect less.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 4:40am On Dec 06, 2023
abuhusna1:

You can do it the way you wanted as well if you don't feel comfortable with uphold. Lemonade is good too just trying to reduce charges for you reas9n I suggested uphold. I am a crypto investor myself and my money had been in decentralised wallet not ok exchange cos I am very heavy holder. I just cash out whatever I need to uk account. Nothing will ever make me pay tax on my crypto that no government knows how much emotional torture I go through when my portfolio goes down 60%.

No worry, we plenty for this table. The risk of trading makes it impossible to want to share anything with anybody. But please look into the tax thing cos you are meant to pay tax for any income to your account. And the fact it gets credited by Uphold means you are into cryptocurrency.

Sometimes it’s best to pay that extra charge and keep a clean sheet. We don’t know where government will move with the whole crypto taxing thing. You know market is lighting up, the news will still start and they will be back to the matter. You know the UK government are looking for money now, they will explore any option to increase doctors salary. If they can insinuate that immigrants funds the increase, I don’t think crypto will be bad to fund it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 4:45am On Dec 06, 2023
Susom:
Just to add that , you can give anyone your lemonade generated naira account to pay into and then effect from there to your UK account through Lemonade
I

Thank you for adding this. This fits the narrative I want to paint as I will state the money is either a loan from sibling or assistance. So if I can have them credit the account for me, that will help with the narrative. I just need to keep receipts for future.

Thank you very much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:09am On Dec 06, 2023
Biko, when we talk about working out a formula to pay bills........ It's simply to avoid serious issues like this ........

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/pidgin/articles/c889nl9rdr8o.amp

If e reach to kill your wife because of bills, return back to 9ja or divorce.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:13am On Dec 06, 2023
Zahra29:

The new rules are harsh, but also fair in that they will not apply to care workers who are already on a visa.
But anyone who isn't yet on the visa has been made aware of the restrictions and they do not have to apply for care work if they do not want to live away from their families. So I don't think it's actively encouraging family separation

They are definitely encouraging family separation, the whole idea of this policy is to reduce immigration right? So how does that encourage family reunion?

They increased salary requirement for family visa application to 38K plus from £18,600, this is not about those coming in as you stated, this affects everyone applying for family visa whether you are here already or planning to move here with your family.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:41am On Dec 06, 2023
justwise:

They are definitely encouraging family separation, the whole idea of this policy is to reduce immigration right? So how does that encourage family reunion?

They increased salary requirement for family visa application to 38K plus from £18,600, this is not about those coming in as you stated, this affects everyone applying for family visa whether you are here already or planning to move here with your family.

Lawyers are already shinning their boots to challenge this immigration changes........ Watch this space ....😄😁

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:01am On Dec 06, 2023
boneruns:

Thanks.

One strategy I used when I got into the uk was to volunteer for an ngo as a tech product manager so as I was working in Amazon warehouse by day I was acting as a product manager by night of course being a volunteer role our meetings was mostly late into the evening or night so that was what’s on my cv till I got my desired role and I was also able to get work reference from the organisation. I got that volunteer role from a platform where they post these unpaid volunteer jobs from ngos I can’t remember that platform now but when I remember I will come back and post it here so that’s one way to navigate that

On the issue of security clearance you can only get that through an organisation that’s a govt contractor who employs you and yes of course depending on the level of clearance you must have been a uk resident for some years. That’s a tough call except you’re lucky in getting into a large and reputable organisation like the big four that can help in getting a residency waiver with a justified business case to get you security clearance.

You have to keep trying, the job market is getting more competitive and the economy right now is not in the best shape so opportunities may be limited. Yes I have suffered so many rejections including an nhs band 8 role so we’ve all been there. It’s one Yes you need and that will change your entire story

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:04am On Dec 06, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Lawyers are already shinning their boots to challenge this immigration changes........ Watch this space ....😄😁

Oga Lexus hope no be say you Dey try to bring second or third wife into this uk economy, this one wey lawyer don enter this matter bayi 😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:16am On Dec 06, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

I don’t even want to talk about the number of rejections I got until I got my first yes. Grown man dey cry for inside car but dey form hard guy for inside house. At the end of the day even the salary every month dey vex me on top the amount of tax but my people go dey say person dey lie to make themselves feel better. We can’t all earn the same salary but just because someone else is earning higher no mean say person go dey get high blood pressure or think say na 🧢 ontop another person salary, come dey disguise the wizard behaviour with humour. Na our way, I no dey ever expect less.

Rejection choke for this side too but I know say God go run am, all na time and will be part of our success story.

I wan make I enter Skynews sef see Nigerian be PM or Partner for GMSachs and Google grin. Nigerians in the US are doing actual doings, we in the UK too can strive for things like them but the policies are restrictive and weird.

God will help us Nigerians

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 8:20am On Dec 06, 2023
Goke7:

Oga Lexus hope no be say you Dey try to bring second or third wife into this uk economy, this one wey lawyer don enter this matter bayi 😂

One wife, one problem.........😁🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 8:38am On Dec 06, 2023
Lexusgs430:

I will not hold my breath on this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nanorest: 8:38am On Dec 06, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Which one is from the UK? Is it different from the one gotten on Possap?

Go to the site and see if you can do it from here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:39am On Dec 06, 2023
hustla:

Rejection choke for this side too but I know say God go run am, all na time and will be part of our success story.

I wan make I enter Skynews sef see Nigerian be PM or Partner for GMSachs and Google grin. Nigerians in the US are doing actual doings, we in the UK too can strive for things like them but the policies are restrictive and weird.

God will help us Nigerians

This is why when some of us say these immigration policies are hostile, we are told to shut up and go back to our country. The uk is all about the money they want from immigrants and not about attracting the best of professionals. The US you talked about through their visa interviews profiles the best they can get and retains them through many properly curated pathways. It’s not magic but deliberate.
But what do we have here, they put everyone both skilled and unskilled in the same bucket and give everyone high bp all in the name of net migration.

Watch how more professionals will move from the Uk to the US in the coming months. Shebi na wetin dem want.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:48am On Dec 06, 2023
Goke7:

This is why when some of us say these immigration policies are hostile, we are told to shut up and go back to our country. The uk is all about the money they want from immigrants and not about attracting the best of professionals. The US you talked about through their visa interviews profiles the best they can get and retains them through many properly curated pathways. It’s not magic but deliberate.
But what do we have here, they put everyone both skilled and unskilled in the same bucket and give everyone high bp all in the name of net migration.

Watch how more professionals will move from the Uk to the US in the coming months. Shebi na wetin dem want.

I don't have any issues with their policies tbh as it's up to me to leave or stay and I have maintained my position from the day i landed in this country.

I know they will feel the effects in the coming months and start fighting in house. Na that one I dey wait for cos its always funny

If I had a nurse wife, the UK will be the last country we will consider. Too many wahala, restrictions, complains and unstable policies. Ontop the small average salaries they earn at the end of the day

grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) ... (531) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Hkana and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.