Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (351) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (464559 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 11:57pm On Dec 07, 2023
Yes but I can’t remember the actual cost but it seems to be between 200 to 300£
Tenibegilojuo:

Thank you. Is this acceptable for Tier2 application and how much does it cost?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:13am On Dec 08, 2023
profemebee:
Like Zahra stated.. countries are revising policies.. it isn't just the UK.. even Canada

& like i stated ... pray for changes to favor your choice and path for you and your families especially for policies we can't control..and plan accordingly for even the worst scenarios

The first year tuition deposit is the massive change here so at the end only genuine students who are coming in to study will qualify.

That’s how to sanitise a system cos it’s quality they want at the end of the day but our ogas here is the numbers and money they are after. Justwise has mentioned it several times how the uk should rather sanitise instead of flip flopping and making all sorts of unnecessary noise

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wonlasewonimi: 12:30am On Dec 08, 2023
Greathand01:
Please do landlords truly refund deposit when leaving....I wan enter 1 year contract and I want to be careful

Unless you're flying around the house like an angel throughout the tenancy. You could be lucky to get part of it back though.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 1:30am On Dec 08, 2023
So, if someone gets a non-healthcare job with £38,000+ salary and sponsorship, s/he can bring in his/her dependents, right?

I might be wrong but most non-healthcare immigrants on sponsorship earn more than 38K.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 2:20am On Dec 08, 2023
lightnlife:
So, if someone gets a non-healthcare job with £38,000+ salary and sponsorship, s/he can bring in his/her dependents, right?

I might be wrong but most non-healthcare immigrants on sponsorship earn more than 38K.

Yeah u r correct the likes of tech roles and co
Even some healthcare roles earn 40k above
U can bring ur family if u land such roles
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 2:22am On Dec 08, 2023
wonlasewonimi:

Unless you're flying around the house like an angel throughout the tenancy. You could be lucky to get part of it back though.

Lmao, asin unless u dont stain anything
All my walls are stained with children color
I have long kissed my deposit goodbye
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 2:43am On Dec 08, 2023
Viruses:

So a landlord can evict a tenant in this country for no reason. While I sympathise with those facing landlord/tenant issues, it's good that things are unfolding because the impression that have been created on this thread was that tenants have more rights than landlords in this country.

Some even said a landlord cannot evict tenant except he wants to sell the house and I was wondering, my own house.

It is incredibly hard to remove a tenant who knows the process and tenants do have more rights than landlords and rightly so. It is the tenants home and the right to have a suitable roof over a human's head trumps another human's want to make money for services rendered. After all, they're the perceived underdogs in that relationship. It's only the tenant or a court that can end the tenancy. When the landlord says I want my house back, tenant has to say yes, otherwise Oga landlord has to wait. It currently takes about 12 - 14 months to go through the whole court process of removing a tenant.

A S21 is a catch all eviction notice. Most landlords will use it so the tenant has a lower chance of challenging it as they they just want their house back rather than explicitly stating what the issue is and then it being drawn out further. A section 8 is easier to take through court as the landlord/ agent so when an agent does use it, you know they're serious about getting you out.

Although, all eviction notices are 2 months, the tenants can choose not to leave, can choose to stop paying rent and can choose to frustrate the landlord every step of the way through the court system and there is absolutely nothing the landlord can do other than wait out the process and apply for a CCJ against the tenant at the end.

The notices also expire and all need certain conditions to be met which is where it catches out DIY landlords. If those conditions are not met when it gets to court - however long it takes - it'll be thrown out and the landlord needs to issue the notice again and wait 2 month before starting the court process. If you win the case, then you need to instruct and pay bailiffs and hope that they are available soon as waiting times for bailiffs is now also between 2 to 6 months across the country.

Going to court also costs money - of course costs can be charged back to either the landlord or tenant but the willingness to pay nko? One of our tenants paid back £3800 at £5 a week. Of course we could have done a financial disclosure but again, it means going back to court, then paying to have their payslips and bank statements collected so the financial disclosure can be done. In the meantime, they can resign, move away, change names, go self employed, declare a reduction in earnings and frustrate that process.

A landlord can be banned from landlording, they can be forced to sell properties to meet requirements and regulations and sometimes spurious ones too. If you own a HMO, then your name and address is on a public register that all and sundry can access. In Scotland and Wales, rents are capped, and every landlord is on a register. Rent increases can be challenged and often won when done according to stats. Direct payments can be stopped and other than these notices which totally relies on the goodwill on the tenant, court is likely the only option to get your property back if that goodwill is not there.

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 2:56am On Dec 08, 2023
Ukliving:
Times are tough

As seen on twitter

I dont think this is real
Graduate salary does not need to be 38k because most graduate job or entry level job arent sponsored job

The rules says ur salary must be 38k above if you are gonna be sponsored, but if you arent being sponsored then the new salary rule does not apply to u, u can even be paid 5k

Unless i am missing something
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 3:36am On Dec 08, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
When you say “cast this update” you mean you don’t want your other country people to have access to this useful information that could also help them?

...a very retrogressive mindset!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 3:44am On Dec 08, 2023
Viruses:

So a landlord can evict a tenant in this country for no reason. While I sympathise with those facing landlord/tenant issues, it's good that things are unfolding because the impression that have been created on this thread was that tenants have more rights than landlords in this country.

Some even said a landlord cannot evict tenant except he wants to sell the house and I was wondering, my own house.

Totally right!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 4:03am On Dec 08, 2023
Strata1716:

Thank you, they didn’t state what the grounds for possession are. everything about the issues that happened are documented, I have pictures, videos and chats. I didn’t contact the agent because I felt it was unnecessary but I immediately let them know when the police was here. I will spend a lot of money moving out of the apartment, getting a truck, taking leave days to pack up my things as well as looking for somewhere with the same amount of rent.

So sorry for the stress you are experiencing.

Why not try and weigh the possible risks of having to continue living with that stranger against the stress of moving out. I would go for the latter. I'd recommend you ask for more time to enable you sort yourself out and leave.

Your safety is totally not negotiable and I believe it was on this premise that the agents asked you both to move out.

You must be really bold to actually find sleep in the same space with that stranger, with both eyes closed. One of the drawbacks of moving in with a stranger.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 4:12am On Dec 08, 2023
Tenibegilojuo:
Greetings all!

Please has anyone written any English proficiency test other than IELTS here in the UK for visa application? Kindly share the test name and your experience. Thanks

ISE I for tier 2... Pretty simple and straightforward.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Opeolami(m): 6:28am On Dec 08, 2023
makazona:

We rise by lifting others 😄 #30BG

This land will favour you o.

Amen. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:21am On Dec 08, 2023
https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/08/uk-employers-limit-hiring-permanent-staff-amid-economic-stresses

UK labour market is showing signs of cooling, which of course is what the bank of England is trying to achieve as one of the mechanisms to reduce inflation.However it might explain why fewer companies are willing to offer sponsorship, or sponsorship straightaway.
Hopefully many employers are just waiting for the new year to resume their hiring plans.

The article also notes that wage growth could strengthen next year if employers found it harder to recruit following the government’s announcement of tougher migration rules this week.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 7:35am On Dec 08, 2023
i'm not sure you how you understood that from what I typed

How won't doubling POF make a difference please?

Is it a revised policy? Yes or No? Isn't that what I stated?

Taal17:

Increasing proof of funds makes no difference
Unless the change of policies include confirming students actually have a certain portion of the fees available to the schools as payment eg. 1st semester paid.

Showing proof of funds doesn't mean you actually have the funds available
Students in Canada are a good percentage of asylum seekers in CA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ttummee: 9:45am On Dec 08, 2023
Hello,

I would love your advice on how to discontinue with my network provider.

I am on a 24 month sim only contract with Three network for which i pay £28 pm. The contract started march this year. The network connectivity is very poor as i find it even difficult to browse with it in my current house.

To opt out i was informed i’d need to pay the remaining balance of the contract 😔.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:01am On Dec 08, 2023
Zahra29:
https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/08/uk-employers-limit-hiring-permanent-staff-amid-economic-stresses

UK labour market is showing signs of cooling, which of course is what the bank of England is trying to achieve as one of the mechanisms to reduce inflation.However it might explain why fewer companies are willing to offer sponsorship, or sponsorship straightaway.
Hopefully many employers are just waiting for the new year to resume their hiring plans.

The article also notes that wage growth could strengthen next year if employers found it harder to recruit following the government’s announcement of tougher migration rules this week.

The UK needs to stop behaving as if it's still in the EU where it has access to a large pool of eligible workers, it doesn't exist anymore and it can't continue to pass the burden to companies to sponsor workers, especially in these tough financial climates. It's high time the UK takes a cue from other English-speaking Western nations where it segments different kinds of workforce it truly needs and issues visas that will not be tied to any company. The option of sponsored visas can still be left open but should not be the major option of a work visa. Some people have suggested that work visas can be tied to professional regulatory bodies instead for proper control and monitoring. If you need care workers, clearly state the mandatory qualifications needed and tie the visas to the body regulating them, all this racketeering will be greatly reduced, if you need doctors, nurses, and other critical roles do the same, else the UK will continue to be used by genuine professionals as a transition point to other countries who does this but if that's what the Uk truly wants then that's fine. But the idea of lumping every foreign worker into the same bucket will surely hurt the economy in the long run and scare away genuine persons who can add value to this ailing economy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LondyC(f): 10:05am On Dec 08, 2023
nelszx:

Can you explain the attached photo, its not working. its bringing generic answers

Hi, sorry I am just seeing this now. Have you figured it out yet?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:08am On Dec 08, 2023
ttummee:
Hello,

I would love your advice on how to discontinue with my network provider.

I am on a 24 month sim only contract with Three network for which i pay £28 pm. The contract started march this year. The network connectivity is very poor as i find it even difficult to browse with it in my current house.

To opt out i was informed i’d need to pay the remaining balance of the contract 😔.

- When did you sign this contract...........
- Did you take this contract out online or in the shop........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LondyC(f): 10:20am On Dec 08, 2023
Greathand01:
Please do landlords truly refund deposit when leaving....I wan enter 1 year contract and I want to be careful

Yes. I got mine in full and the house wasn’t perfect when I left it. It depends on The landlord.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 10:38am On Dec 08, 2023
You can use sugar soap (£5) to clean it off and collect your deposit.

Took us two days to wipe our walls before moving out. Na only £50 landlord chop from the deposit due to flimsy excuse of the oven looking dirty and small damp in the toilet.

Collecting deposit sweet 😂

eniola1010:

Lmao, asin unless u dont stain anything
All my walls are stained with children color
I have long kissed my deposit goodbye

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:40am On Dec 08, 2023
Greathand01:

Yes, got mine back 100%

It was a surprisingly easy and straightforward process

I logged in on https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/ and requested for it, approved after a week and took two days to hit my account

wink

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:44am On Dec 08, 2023
Goke7:

It's high time the UK takes a cue from other English-speaking Western nations where it segments different kinds of workforce it truly needs and issues visas that will not be tied to any company.

$ will be = 1 naira before the UK Gov will try this

It's the logical thing to do but the UK has never seemed immigrant-friendly to me unless they have less than 0 options

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 11:06am On Dec 08, 2023
Not immigrant-friendly? i beg to differ.. and i will use data to back it up

Among the core Anglosphere nations, i.e. 5 of the largest English speaking nations, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK, the UK isn't that far from countries like USA in terms of % of immigrants to population... just 1% from US..

USA 51m immigrants which accounts for 15% of the population

UK 9.4m immigrants which accounts for 14% of the population

This is despite the countries like US, Canada and Australia being Top10 largest countries in land mass in the world, 2nd, 3rd & 6th respectively.

You can find all the data you need to confirm here:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/immigration-by-country

https://www.worldatlas.com/features/countries-by-area.html

So saying they're not immigration-friendly is wrong sha

hustla:

$ will be = 1 naira before the UK Gov will try this

It's the logical thing to do but the[b] UK has never seemed immigrant-friendly[/b] to me unless they have less than 0 options

grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:10am On Dec 08, 2023
profemebee:
Not immigrant-friendly? i beg to differ.. and i will use data to back it up

Among the core Anglosphere nations, i.e. 5 of the largest English speaking nations, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the UK, the UK isn't that far from countries like USA in terms of % of immigrants to population... just 1% from US..

USA 51m immigrants which accounts for 15% of the population

UK 9.4m immigrants which accounts for 14% of the population

This is despite the countries like US, Canada and Australia being Top10 largest countries in land mass in the world, 2nd, 3rd & 6th respectively.

You can find all the data you need to confirm here:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/immigration-by-country

https://www.worldatlas.com/features/countries-by-area.html

So saying they're not immigration-friendly is wrong sha

You know what I mean but OK smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 11:12am On Dec 08, 2023
i sincerely don't know any other meaning to what you said

All i'm showing you is data shows they're not as you put it (not being immigration-friendly) and i compared to another English speaking western country which has way more landmass than all countries in the world (Except Russia) because Goke specifically mentioned " English speaking western" country

hustla:

You know what I mean but OK smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LondyC(f): 11:25am On Dec 08, 2023
Goke7:

One strategy I used when I got into the uk was to volunteer for an ngo as a tech product manager so as I was working in Amazon warehouse by day I was acting as a product manager by night of course being a volunteer role our meetings was mostly late into the evening or night so that was what’s on my cv till I got my desired role and I was also able to get work reference from the organisation. I got that volunteer role from a platform where they post these unpaid volunteer jobs from ngos I can’t remember that platform now but when I remember I will come back and post it here so that’s one way to navigate that

On the issue of security clearance you can only get that through an organisation that’s a govt contractor who employs you and yes of course depending on the level of clearance you must have been a uk resident for some years. That’s a tough call except you’re lucky in getting into a large and reputable organisation like the big four that can help in getting a residency waiver with a justified business case to get you security clearance.

You have to keep trying, the job market is getting more competitive and the economy right now is not in the best shape so opportunities may be limited. Yes I have suffered so many rejections including an nhs band 8 role so we’ve all been there. It’s one Yes you need and that will change your entire story

Please what’s the name of the website for the volunteer roles?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by sconp: 11:35am On Dec 08, 2023
Ticha:

It is incredibly hard to remove a tenant who knows the process and tenants do have more rights than landlords and rightly so. It is the tenants home and the right to have a suitable roof over a human's head trumps another human's want to make money for services rendered. After all, they're the perceived underdogs in that relationship. It's only the tenant or a court that can end the tenancy. When the landlord says I want my house back, tenant has to say yes, otherwise Oga landlord has to wait. It currently takes about 12 - 14 months to go through the whole court process of removing a tenant.

A S21 is a catch all eviction notice. Most landlords will use it so the tenant has a lower chance of challenging it as they they just want their house back rather than explicitly stating what the issue is and then it being drawn out further. A section 8 is easier to take through court as the landlord/ agent so when an agent does use it, you know they're serious about getting you out.

Although, all eviction notices are 2 months, the tenants can choose not to leave, can choose to stop paying rent and can choose to frustrate the landlord every step of the way through the court system and there is absolutely nothing the landlord can do other than wait out the process and apply for a CCJ against the tenant at the end.

The notices also expire and all need certain conditions to be met which is where it catches out DIY landlords. If those conditions are not met when it gets to court - however long it takes - it'll be thrown out and the landlord needs to issue the notice again and wait 2 month before starting the court process. If you win the case, then you need to instruct and pay bailiffs and hope that they are available soon as waiting times for bailiffs is now also between 2 to 6 months across the country.

Going to court also costs money - of course costs can be charged back to either the landlord or tenant but the willingness to pay nko? One of our tenants paid back £3800 at £5 a week. Of course we could have done a financial disclosure but again, it means going back to court, then paying to have their payslips and bank statements collected so the financial disclosure can be done. In the meantime, they can resign, move away, change names, go self employed, declare a reduction in earnings and frustrate that process.

A landlord can be banned from landlording, they can be forced to sell properties to meet requirements and regulations and sometimes spurious ones too. If you own a HMO, then your name and address is on a public register that all and sundry can access. In Scotland and Wales, rents are capped, and every landlord is on a register. Rent increases can be challenged and often won when done according to stats. Direct payments can be stopped and other than these notices which totally relies on the goodwill on the tenant, court is likely the only option to get your property back if that goodwill is not there.

Has he finished paying?

What if this was a house on mortgage with a tenant as this? Would the banks care for all that delay?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 12:12pm On Dec 08, 2023
profemebee:
i sincerely don't know any other meaning to what you said

All i'm showing you is data shows they're not as you put it (not being immigration-friendly) and i compared to another English speaking western country which has way more landmass than all countries in the world (Except Russia) because Goke specifically mentioned " English speaking western" country

U.S is more migrant friendly according to hear say. You many not have papers and still live fine but in the U.k u go hear am I won't be able to do anything. According people like daddy freeze and others .

Using percentage may be confusing. If you are a quantitative person, you cant just use percentage straight up. In business when we want to make a number look good we use percentage. But even if we use percentage how many of those percentage are not hooked in health assistant related job?,. We cant compare that to the u.s. in u.s, like someone said we have Nigerians doing great things and that is because policies enable them.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 12:14pm On Dec 08, 2023
eniola1010:

I dont think this is real
Graduate salary does not need to be 38k because most graduate job or entry level job arent sponsored job

The rules says ur salary must be 38k above if you are gonna be sponsored, but if you arent being sponsored then the new salary rule does not apply to u, u can even be paid 5k

Unless i am missing something

Yes, you're missing something, Graduate roles are the most easily sponsored and cheapest for employers as they are exempted from the immigration skills charge due to the 'new entrant' rule. In this case, the organisation can still sponsor using the 70% reduction in salary which will come down to 27k still according to the 'new entrant rule' for those on student visas or post-study.

What this means is that Companies especially very large ones have been greatly profiting from this when the salary requirement was 26,200 and still paying less using the 'new entrant rule'. So even to pay 27k right now using the same rule will be deemed too expensive for some employers to sponsor foreign workers. it's what it is!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 12:31pm On Dec 08, 2023
please stay within the context.. someone mentioned english speaking western countries and another said UK isn't immigrant-friendly..

that's what i was replying to..

The perfect way to use data in this context is to compare the % of immigrants to the total population because some countries are larger in land mass and population than others..

Bringing "according to hear say" to this is funny.... we are talking national stats and numbers.. not hear say..

Poanan:

U.S is more migrant friendly according to hear say. You many not have papers and still live fine but in the U.k u go hear am I won't be able to do anything. According people like daddy freeze and others .

Using percentage may be confusing. If you are a quantitative person, you cant just use percentage straight up. In business when we want to make a number look good we use percentage. But even if we use percentage how many of those percentage are not hooked in health assistant related job?,. We cant compare that to the u.s. in u.s, like someone said we have Nigerians doing great things and that is because policies enable them.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 12:32pm On Dec 08, 2023
Poanan:

Are you actually disputing his data with hearsay and quoting daddy freezer?! His data and percentage are quite clear, nothing confusing there.

The ability to live freely when one becomes an overstayer or an illegal immigrant in a country is not a yardstick to measure or compare a country's migrant-friendliness.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 9ger, OfferAccepted, mystery22, stevebent(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.