Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (354) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (464240 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 3:57pm On Dec 08, 2023
profemebee:
but i already shared the % of immigrants to population and it is just 1% behind the world's largest economy... 15% to 14%... soooooo

that is why the noise is unwarranted, the rhetoric behind the purported high levels of migration is unnecessary and has no threats whatever as it's being projected. The population of both Asians and blacks in this country is hardly above 11% so what's the threat to the locals as being portrayed? I don't get it and we must be careful if we are indeed migrants not to be hoodwinked by these stats

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 4:01pm On Dec 08, 2023
Resurgent2016:

The UK system is largely rigged to keep many immigrants, particularly from developing countries working in fields they consider "undesirable" rather than competing with them. I reckon one of the reasons for the anti-immigrant sentiment is political but also immigrants moving into typically non-immigrant fields. Many recent immigrants did not come in as economic migrants per se, they were well-to-do and came to continue their career in the UK.

I have had a situation where HR seemed offended and hesitant to give me a matching pay raise that matched an offer I received elsewhere even when my boss insisted they match it so I stay. My boss had to sit through every negotiation meeting to ensure HR did not scuttle it. Never had any issue with HR and had very limited interaction, can only imagine she was offended my new pay was much higher than many of them particularly since I was an immigrant.

Your boss - Is he/she an immigrant?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:02pm On Dec 08, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

You should read this detailed report. https://www.lauradevine.com/news/home-office-publishes-latest-immigration-statistics-2/

I believe that we have established that Healthcare visas are the easiest to get hence the reason why people are rushing to it, so ofcause the numbers would be high. But it doesn’t take away from the actual fact that other visas are equally being granted. It’s this misinformation of "companies are not offering sponsorship” that’s causing people to go through the presumed easiest route.

but they are not offering nah, the major ones offering as someone said are the financial consultancies and it's because those ones are very large companies, each of the big four alone has over 20,000 workers in the UK alone so their sponsorship rates are higher but have seen very large engineering firms with several thousands on their payroll that will not sponsor up to 100 in a year and most actually sponsor graduate roles. Nobody is just dashing work visas anyhow in this country and the locals are not in any way threatened at all.

From your link, can you see the number of visas given to Ukrainians, why is no one talking about that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 4:15pm On Dec 08, 2023
Resurgent2016:

Not necessarily a cost issue. With 3-5k, you can sponsor a candidate for 3-5 years (amortized, that is 1k per year or thereabout). Most of these candidates would accept an offer at the lower end of the pay band, potentially saving the company up to 10k a year.

If the government is looking to truly improve productivity and drive cost competitiveness in the economy, it should be removing the bottlenecks keeping immigrants out of these sectors. Rather then government threw another spanner into the wheel leaving the field (healthcare and NHS) that is likely responsible for most of the work visas.

I have experienced it firsthand, so its not much about the stats this is the reality on the ground.

See how many immigrants are making waves in innovative sectors in the USA and compare it to the UK. In the UK, you would probably need to be at least in your first generation or have spent decades to have that kind of opportunity.

Why can't you see that the bolded is the same thing Zahra29 was saying about how it leads to undercutting of the indigenous labour force, which is the government's primary constituency? If migrants are consistently willing to accept lower salaries, the companies will pay less and hire those which means salaries for everyone will reduce.

Are you then surprised that there's pushback by the local population?

This thing is not a moral issue like many are trying to make it seem. It's an economic and political issue. The Brits don't want more immigrants. Whether you think they are right or wrong in that is irrelevant. The government has to pander to them.

And besides is it not the same thing in Nigeria? Do you people know all the hoops a foreigner has to go through to work in the country? From the STR visa to the expatriate quota application (which only companies with N100 Million minimum share capital can get) to the CERPAC. Why does the Nigerian government have all those restrictions - does it not want to grow the economy?? /s

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:23pm On Dec 08, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Didn’t Nigerians ask Ghanaians to leave at some point? No one truly likes foreigners, go to Switzerland and see how those ones lift up their noses at their fellow white immigrants. This thing is everywhere and it’s not unique to the UK. After all, SA dey show Nigerians pepper.

The solution is for us to contribute to the development of where we come from. Just imagine so idiots that are here seeing how things are run and done yet still supporting Tinubu. Make dem continue one day we will have nowhere to call home.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:26pm On Dec 08, 2023
Goodenoch:

Why can't you see that the bolded is the same thing Zahra29 was saying about how it leads to undercutting of the indigenous labour force, which is the government's primary constituency? If migrants are consistently willing to accept lower salaries, the companies will pay less and hire those which means salaries for everyone will reduce.

This thing is not a moral issue like many are trying to make it seem. It's an economic and political issue. The Brits don't want more immigrants. Whether you think they are right or wrong in that is irrelevant. The government has to pander to them.

And besides is it not the same thing in Nigeria? Do you people know all the hoops a foreigner has to go through to work in the country? From the STR visa to the expatriate quota application (which only companies with N100 Million minimum share capital can get) to the CERPAC. Why does the Nigerian government have all those restrictions - does it not want to grow the economy?? /s

The issue about undercutting local labour is false for Christ sake, can’t we all see from the stats shared so far that not many work visas are given.

Except you’re not not an immigrant why fall for this narrative of low pay which is the ignorance the politicians are feeding on from their populace. And as for Nigeria they made it difficult for us here so why can’t Nigeria do the same or don’t we know the law of reciprocity in diplomacy. Nigerian visas is one of the most difficult to get and e get why, call it shithole it’s what it is.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:26pm On Dec 08, 2023
It's my birthday! Gifts would be accepted. grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 4:36pm On Dec 08, 2023
Goke7:

The issue about undercutting local labour is false for Christ sake, can’t we all see from the stats shared so far that not many work visas are given.

Except you’re not not an immigrant why fall for this narrative of low pay which is the ignorance the politicians are feeding on from their populace. And as for Nigeria they made it difficult for us here so why can’t Nigeria do the same or don’t we know the law of reciprocity in diplomacy. Nigerian visas is one of the most difficult to get and e get why, call it shithole it’s what it is.

One amusing thing about you is how you always accuse people of being emotional but it's your responses that never contain any facts or statistics, and instead are heavy on hearsay and random gossip.

Someone has shared official stats to show you work visas have hugely increased. You're still insisting not many visas are given.

Now I've outlined the very high barriers to foreigners working in Nigeria, you're bringing in random name-calling. How is that relevant? The point is that all countries are protectionist about their local workforce - even ones that aren't as globally desirable, so why are you acting shocked that the most desirable ones are putting similar restrictions in place?

In fact the UK's restrictions are substantially less than Nigeria's, so the key question is why are you constantly attacking the UK as if they are doing something unheard of?

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 4:42pm On Dec 08, 2023
Goodenoch:

One amusing thing about you is how you always accuse people of being emotional but it's your response that never contain any facts or statistics, and instead are heavy on hearsay and random gossip.

Someone has shared official stats to show you work visas have hugely increased. You're still insisting not many visas are given.

Now I've outlined the very high barriers to foreigners working in Nigeria, you're bringing in random name-calling. How is that relevant? The point is that all countries are protectionist about their local workforce - even ones that aren't as globally desirable, so why are you acting shocked that the most desirable ones are putting similar restrictions in place?

In fact the UK's restrictions are substantially less than Nigeria's, so the key question is why are you constantly attacking the UK as if they are doing something unheard of?

it's from that official stats I have been making my points, the work visas that have hugely increased were given to whom?

common guys we can do better than all these, if you guys feel the UK is very generous oh congratulations then people should not complain again. So it's me that is attacking the UK now grin All is well and good. Wishing everyone God's speed in this land.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 4:45pm On Dec 08, 2023
that's why i stopped replying tbh..

not a single stat brought..just talk talk and hear say

No developed country was built on hear say and talk talk....that's why you have economic patterns and trends

You can't vibe your way to success or progress.. it has to be measured with defined OKRs

Have a great weekend everyone

Goodenoch:

One amusing thing about you is how you always accuse people of being emotional but it's your response that never contain any facts or statistics, and instead are heavy on hearsay and random gossip.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 5:00pm On Dec 08, 2023
profemebee:
that's why i stopped replying tbh..

not a single stat brought..just talk talk and hear say

No developed country was built on hear say and talk talk....that's why you have economic patterns and trends

You can't vibe your way to success or progress.. it has to be measured with defined OKRs

Have a great weekend everyone

I tell you.

And also the absurd guilt-tripping talking about "except you're not an immigrant".

So because I'm an immigrant I should close my eyes to economic and political reality and keep holding other people and their country to a standard that nobody; not even citizens; holds my own country to? Lol

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 5:08pm On Dec 08, 2023
that's why i had to remind him i have only a Nigerian passport.. i'm also affected as an immigrant..

Goodenoch:

I tell you.

And also the absurd guilt-tripping talking about "except you're not an immigrant".

So because I'm an immigrant I should close my eyes to economic and political reality and keep holding other people and their country to a standard that nobody; not even citizens; holds my own country to? Lol

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:28pm On Dec 08, 2023
Goke7:

congratulations, don't forget to sow some prophet seed to oga lexus, prophet sef go do weekend

Yes o..... This high cost of living touch everybody......... 🤣😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:37pm On Dec 08, 2023
Meogom:

Update: got a response from council. Just as oga Lexusgs430 said, the ticket has been cancelled. They said though the car was wrongly parked and there is photo evidence, but it's been cancelled because of the enforcement officer's mistake. £35 saved. I promise to go and sin no more.

Your sins been washed away........ 😊

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 5:39pm On Dec 08, 2023
Viruses:

With all that you have said, does it mean the lady that brought up the issue originally can choose not to leave the house until about a year when the landlord would have been through with the court process, however the landlord can charge back everything to her yeah?

And in situations where the landlord does not follow court process, it is the tenant that should go to court just like the guy that the landlady removed his door?

Yes and yes. With the guy his door was removed, it's a shame he can't afford to follow it up. As long as he has evidence etc, he can still pursue her for costs and breaches even he's left the house. In fact, you can pursue deposit breaches up to 6 years after the breach.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 5:40pm On Dec 08, 2023
Goodenoch:

I think you are mixing a few things together.

Honestly, I cannot question if the Brits feel the level of immigration is too high. They have every right and it is not for us to rationalize what is an appropriate level.

The problem is no one has so far complained about the number of international students arriving in the UK or asked them to return to their country after their studies. The government has every opportunity to ask the universities to reduce the number of international students they take or cancel the post-study visa which is used as a job-search year if the government feels they should not come or should return after studies.

Many of the already skilled immigrants have now added expensive quality education in the UK and are now facing a challenge breaking into their preferred career (which the government can help solve) pushing many to health care and other fields where visa sponsorship is more likely but their skill is less relevant. I am pretty sure the government is aware but rather than help them break into the market has thrown an additional spanner into the works, many it less likely many will secure these jobs outside of healthcare and NHS.

These immigrants who have made a significant investment in a UK masters degree are unlikely to leave in large numbers simply because the UK made all skilled worker visa (except care and NHS) harder to get. The policy will just funnel them into care and NHS.

Yes, the biggest loser are the immigrants who came quite skilled and topped it with an expensive master's degree doing care.

The second loser is the UK itself which is now having a growing number of underutilised labour. The are other externalities to this situation that will affect things such as productivity, tax receipts, inflation, integration and equality in society .

I have seen many engineers in this country doing care. Yes, you can blame them for not being dogged enough but the reality is that it is harder to get sponsorship in many of these areas when you have less than 24 months to fight an uphill battle.

Many "Elon Musks" that arrived the UK are in the care sector wasting away.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 5:44pm On Dec 08, 2023
Goke7:

what they do not realise is many in healthcare pay less taxes because they earn less, pay no NHS (because they claim a refund) and have some generous benefits from the government. I suspect it is the kind of nationalist thinking that led them to brexit.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 5:52pm On Dec 08, 2023
sconp:

Has he finished paying?

What if this was a house on mortgage with a tenant as this? Would the banks care for all that delay?

Nope. Hasn't finished paying. At this rate, it'll take about 8 years plus to get all his arrears back!

Banks don't care if tenants pay or not. Their contract is with you the home owner, you default, you lose the house and get a credit black mark as well.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 6:02pm On Dec 08, 2023
Resurgent2016:

what they do not realise is many in healthcare pay less taxes because they earn less, pay no NHS (because they claim a refund) and have some generous benefits from the government. I suspect it is the kind of nationalist thinking that led them to brexit.

In addition while immigrants in nhs have no restrictions on bringing their spouses and families at any salary amount, the Brits working in nhs cannot bring in foreign spouses except they earn 38,700k so who do we blame now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Advision: 6:09pm On Dec 08, 2023
To that person who needs to hear this.. you may able to legally sell your landlord's house after living rent-free.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/squatter-who-claimed-ownership-pensioners-31579801

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 6:18pm On Dec 08, 2023
ehizario2012:

send post code make i send you henny
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:36pm On Dec 08, 2023
Resurgent2016:

Sponsorship is harder to get outside health and few sectors dominated by global firms like financial consultancy. Outside these areas sponsorship is very hard and the government still raised the bar higher against these sectors (leaving the health related fields that are easier untouched).

Many do not mind from my experience, but I strongly suspect there are a significant proportion not happy that immigrants from Africa came to justle for experienced professional roles with them, particularly at the mid cadre level.

My employer for instance has the license but rarely offers visa sponsorship. We have roles open for many months which with visa sponsorship you would get someone that would probably do it for less than the amount.

Ideally a business that is looking to drive efficiency and bring down cost should be open to sampling the entire pool of talent, but many UK firms are not really into the immigrant thing for experienced role except when it is very tight for them. Which is why many have the license but would not even consider applicants requiring sponsorship who claim to have the requisite skill.

The bolded is what is meant by undercutting wages, which isn't good for anyone except the company and its shareholders, much less the immigrant who is being shafted.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:40pm On Dec 08, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Japan is so unique, you can visit but can’t live there. To work for them, you have to learn business Japanese which is entirely different from regular Japanese. Even at that, there’s only a certain level that you can get to. That’s why a large chunk of black people who move there work as teachers. UK is friendly o, imagine a man born to Pakistani parents as the PM. An Igbo man can’t even run for governor in Lagos state Lol

💯

UK is friendlier than most, but at the end of the day they can't guarantee everyone that comes here on a student visa a work permit /leave to remain afterwards, especially in the career of their choosing.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 6:54pm On Dec 08, 2023
Goke7:

but they are not offering nah, the major ones offering as someone said are the financial consultancies and it's because those ones are very large companies, each of the big four alone has over 20,000 workers in the UK alone so their sponsorship rates are higher but have seen very large engineering firms with several thousands on their payroll that will not sponsor up to 100 in a year and most actually sponsor graduate roles. Nobody is just dashing work visas anyhow in this country and the locals are not in any way threatened at all.

From your link, can you see the number of visas given to Ukrainians, why is no one talking about that?

Because they are fleeing war and death in their home country. So their presence is accepted on humanitarian grounds, if there was no war there would be massive complaints.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 6:59pm On Dec 08, 2023
Zahra29:

💯

UK is friendlier than most, but at the end of the day they can't guarantee everyone that comes here on a student visa a work permit /leave to remain afterwards, especially in the career of their choosing.
Absolutely, and no country can guarantee this as well.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:02pm On Dec 08, 2023
Goodenoch:

[b]This thing is not a moral issue like many are trying to make it seem. It's an economic and political issue. [/b]The Brits don't want more immigrants. Whether you think they are right or wrong in that is irrelevant. The government has to pander to them.

Thanks for this comment and for providing context with the work restrictions in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 7:05pm On Dec 08, 2023
Zahra29:

💯

and they are not forced to do care either, very good
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:06pm On Dec 08, 2023
ehizario2012:

Happy birthday!🎈🎂

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 7:10pm On Dec 08, 2023
They pay nurses better than the NHS, almost double hourly rates.
Zahra29:

Re the bolded, is there more behind why these nurses are working in care homes?
I know a lady who was a qualified doctor in Nigeria. She moved here but could not pass her medical exams, so she had to get work in a care home instead. This was many years ago. However even if she was British she still would not have been able to work as a doctor without passing the relevant exams.

Of course a lot of immigrants are affected when policies change and disrupt their plans. But it's not an agenda against immigrants per se.The bottom line is that the UK in general does not like high levels of migration and will always make moves to limit it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:24pm On Dec 08, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
They pay nurses better than the NHS, almost double hourly rates.

Ah ok, so they made what they felt was a better choice for them. The OP made it sound like it was govt policies that landed them in care.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 7:33pm On Dec 08, 2023
Zahra29:

Ah ok, so they made what they felt was a better choice for them. The OP made it sound like it was govt policies that landed them in care.

You clearly misunderstood me then, there are care homes who also bring in nurses to work. These ones were never international students and many people know this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:54pm On Dec 08, 2023
TGIF everyone

wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Ibro99, Bourne007(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.