Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,739 members, 7,831,357 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (375) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (489959 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (556) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 4:54pm On Dec 16, 2023
Unrelated to the context of the conversation, but this is very true. We might all be blacks but there are certain things you can just instinctively tell but can’t explain. I can always alwaysss tell Nigerians apart from other black nationals. Always. And it has never failed. I wouldn’t be able to explain it if you asked how, lol. I guess it’s just one of those things.

Amazoner01:

I was born in Nigeria and have lived there long enough to easily spot my countrymen or maybe perhaps it takes high IQ or super power to be able to do that. I can also tell ethnicity sometimes lol . Abi he shock you? grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 5:25pm On Dec 16, 2023
I always avoid making generalizations but speaking for where I stay, it’s truly a literal epidemic! It’s hard to see a white adult in the area I stay that doesn’t smoke!! Even the lecturers, customer support, construction workers, it’s too many worrying number of people who take smoke breaks! So much so that I’ve had to start wearing masks around now, because second-hand smoke na im worse pass!

Those that don’t smoke are recovering smokers, some lecturers don’t even shy away from saying this one. (Not saying it’s a thing to be ashamed of).

Then the teenagers? Oh my God. I am not kidding when I say nearly every young person around here vapes! Sometimes you’ll walk past an empty place and you smell that “flavored-bubblegumey” smell and you just know someone vaped past there not too long ago. They have the fanciest looking vaping tools too, with artsy designs, it’s literally become a culture on these ends.

It’s really really bad that there are already articles being written about “Popcorn Lungs”.

Zahra29:

Easy with the overgeneralisations.... it's like saying "most Nigerians are scammers" etc
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:34pm On Dec 16, 2023
Time to head to Southwark......... Our housing problems are over......... 🤣😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 5:36pm On Dec 16, 2023
Whoop! Congratulationssss! 🎉
Viruses:
Been waiting to share this, wanted to have my keys first.

So after exactly 2 years in the UK, I got a house on a mortgage, new build.

Process took 2 months from when I identified and decided on the building, could have taken less but I intentionally delayed it because I needed the next salary to complete the deposit and I applied for the mortgage like a month before the 2 years would actually complete.

I don't know how to write plenty, I'll just drop whatever information I think is useful so if you have any questions, ask.

You need like 2 years residence history to stand a chance of mortgage approval.

Mortgage Advisors play a role, one advisor said Barclays can only give me for 40yrs duration, another advisor gave me the same Barclays for 30yrs.

It's difficult to decide on 2 or 5 yrs fixed term so do your research, I went for 5 yrs but at a point, I was thinking of changing to 2 yrs but I guess we've passed that step now.

If you are planning on bringing in huge funds for the purchase, bring it well before hand to avoid plenty explanation, six months statement is usually required but sometimes, while you're explaining an inflow, you may be required to bring statements dating further back.

It's OK to negotiate rates, sometimes if the lender does not hear back from you on time, they will contact you and reduce the rate without you asking, perhaps they thought you have not responded because of the rate.

For new builds, beside the decision on whether to do 2 or 5 yrs and the choice of house, I don't think there are any special skills or knowledge required, advisors will be doing their thing and giving you update, solicitors will be doing their thing and giving updates, if they require any information they will reach out. Your own is to read and sign documents and ask questions as they arise.

While your income play a role in how much you can borrow, your outgoing play a role in your affordability. The lender complained about my outgoing and the mortgage advisor advised that I reduce my son's days in school to reduce the fees. So I just told them to remove the school fees entirely and explained that he will stay with his aunty, whether I implement that does not matter again. Other options will be to pay off car insurance for the year to reduce the monthly outgoing or pay part of the car loan to reduce the monthly payments.

If you haven't, start your moneybox journey, I got 4k free from moneybox. Me 2k, wife 2k.

If it's a new build, you can buy towards the time when most of the houses are sold, as the houses are getting sold, they begin to introduce discounts and cashback. I was lucky to buy the show home (isn't this rare?) although the furnitures were removed, some other items like curtains and decor were left. The catch here is if it takes long to sell, prices and rates would have changed (this may be good or bad depending on whether it goes up or down) and the particular house you are waiting for may not be waiting for you.

There are lots of schemes available especially for new builds including first home schemes and shared ownership, depending on your money, you can explore these. I didn't use any scheme because I could raise the deposit.

Credit score matters but credit history matters more. Credit history does not mean using credit up and down, it simply means don't miss credit payments.

There's hardly a right time to start the process, just get an idea of the area and cost of the building you want, raise some money and approach a mortgage advisor and things will begin to unfold and become clear.

My appreciation goes to everyone who have contributed to mortgage issues on this thread, I learnt alot and the information gained were useful.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 5:39pm On Dec 16, 2023
You were allowed to stay?
Strata1716:

Actually she’s moving out, I refused to moved out and told my landlord they have no right to ask me to leave, quoted the law for them in a strongly worded email and she will be moving out now.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bwaal(m): 5:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
shakurshakur:
Please house, how do I replace my lost BRP card as I want to travel to Nigeria in 2 weeks' time. What can I do to get it replaced before then?
Thanks.

hello were you able to get a replacement can i mail you ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 5:56pm On Dec 16, 2023

hustla:

They more or less told me "Just dey play"

grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:28pm On Dec 16, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Lmao God abeg, what exactly did you do? Did you go through your SU?

I already read my school’s Appeal policy and thankfully I already discussed the concerns I had about the lecturer in question with my personal tutor way before we even turned our work in to be marked.

As for the lecturer in question, if I say I don’t know how she got to the position she got to, I’ll be sounding somehow but it calls for worry tbh. First, I’ll be going through with the due procedure before filling the appeal form.

People are saying I’m doing too much as I had a B and just let it go, but besides the fact that I’m pretty confident in my work, it has been a running reputation with the lecturer from past students—high student failure for very showey reasons. It’s why I fully intend to go through with the appeal, if what I can only get from it is bringing the school’s attention to the lecturer’s teaching behavior, I’ll be satisfied.

At least, things will be better for the people coming after us.

Well, you can. I did not go through the SU, tried to do it myself

In my own case, I followed the assistant lecturer's verbal advice and removed a part of my writeup. A friend who had a similar topic with me used what I removed and had a sexy A (I gave him an outline of what I was planning to write).

Sent them a mail pointing out that I was advised to remove some parts which would have helped me but "No evidence, I explain tire". They just told me the exams board would look into it blah blah. The board did not look into it or change their decision so I just let it go

Schools are different and yours may turn out in your favor. No harm in trying wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 6:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
I always avoid making generalizations but speaking for where I stay, it’s truly a literal epidemic! It’s hard to see a white adult in the area I stay that doesn’t smoke!! Even the lecturers, customer support, construction workers, it’s too many worrying number of people who take smoke breaks! So much so that I’ve had to start wearing masks around now, because second-hand smoke na im worse pass!

Those that don’t smoke are recovering smokers, some lecturers don’t even shy away from saying this one. (Not saying it’s a thing to be ashamed of).

Then the teenagers? Oh my God. I am not kidding when I say nearly every young person around here vapes! Sometimes you’ll walk past an empty place and you smell that “flavored-bubblegumey” smell and you just know someone vaped past there not too long ago. They have the fanciest looking vaping tools too, with artsy designs, it’s literally become a culture on these ends.

It’s really really bad that there are already articles being written about “Popcorn Lungs”.

LOL she was trying to be politically correct even when facts are obvious

They take so many smoke breaks that youll almost want to pretend to be a smoker so you can get some breaks too grin

If you are talking about vaping, how about the Nitrous Oxide that's littered on the streets? Teenagers will enter a train and SK stench will fill the air . Its really really bad
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 6:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
Toh, thank you. Will give it a try and see what comes of it.
hustla:

Well, you can. I did not go through the SU, tried to do it myself

In my own case, I followed the assistant lecturer's verbal advice and removed a part of my writeup. A friend who had a similar topic with me used what I removed and had a sexy A (I gave him an outline of what I was planning to write).

Sent them a mail pointing out that I was advised to remove some parts which would have helped me but "No evidence, I explain tire". They just told me the exams board would look into it blah blah. The board did not look into it or change their decision so I just let it go

Schools are different and yours may turn out in your favor. No harm in trying wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 6:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Hi guys,
To current and past students here, has anyone had any experience of successfully contesting a grade? How did it go? 🤔

Yes. But It was coursework I contested though not exam. In my own case. I went through the feedbacks and saw that the lecturer dropped some comments of some things I did as a reason for not getting the full score.
But u have to be diplomatic about it. In my own case there was there was a particular question that didn't come with feedback. So i wrote something along this line " that I have received my score for the assessment thanks for the feedbacks and I have taken corrections for the questions. But that point this and that appearing on page so so so was erroneously skipped, hence the feedback and will appreciate a second look. lastly question so so so didn't come with a feedback that I will like to have a feedback to help me with future assessment.
I sent it through mail and the marks increased tremendously. But approaching the lecturer in person is a better way than sending mail.
In my own case the lecturer responded the next day that she was going to take a look at it and that the score was not the final thay the second marker was yet to mark or review . Whatever you do be diplomatic so that they dont wait for you during exam. If it is looking somehow please just take a bow and it go. But mind who you discus this with cos sometimes theu will beef u. I didn't mention to any anybody what i was going to do cos didnt want anyone to dampen my morale. Those people saying cos u got B u shoukd relax dont mind them. You neva can tell what other courses will be like. It is the one u have now that u havem

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Strata1716: 7:01pm On Dec 16, 2023
iyatrustee:

What was their response to your email?

Is she moving out immediately or at the expiration of the notice period?

Two months notice then she’s moving out.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Strata1716: 7:03pm On Dec 16, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
You were allowed to stay?

Yes

I told them they didn’t have the right to ask me to leave as I have kept to the tenancy agreement. The grounds they said they wanted to evict me on, I informed them I didn’t fall under it by giving them the legal definition and case law.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 7:18pm On Dec 16, 2023
Tt

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 7:20pm On Dec 16, 2023
LOVE IT!! Well doneee and congratulationsss! 🎉🎉
Strata1716:

Yes

I told them they didn’t have the right to ask me to leave as I have kept to the tenancy agreement. The grounds they said they wanted to evict me on, I informed them I didn’t fall under it by giving them the legal definition and case law.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2023
Lexusgs430:
Time to head to Southwark......... Our housing problems are over......... 🤣😂

una too like trouble, una wan go overload the area for there abi, later you will come and tell us that nepa took light grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Is Sheffield Hallam also one of the schools that will benefit from the recent policies? Its not even March yet

grin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-67707857
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:05pm On Dec 16, 2023
Chinlov:

Ahhh na wao... but he did say his wife's moneybox brought in 2k...must we fight over everything

@ viruses, big congratulations!!! this kind of story is a good reason to remain in this forum.

U see I didn't bother responding to the post? I read to understand before attempting to reply.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
hustla:
Is Sheffield Hallam also one of the schools that will benefit from the recent policies? Its not even March yet

grin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-67707857

So is this an evidence that UK unis can't survive without constant international enrollment?

There's a problem ooo, inasmuch as we want more friends to Japa here via school route, it's scary that the UK is kinda fully depending on fees to survive!

Something is wrong somewhere and this pattern is not sustainable at all.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:04pm On Dec 16, 2023
ehizario2012:

So is this an evidence that UK unis can't survive without constant international enrollment?

There's a problem ooo, inasmuch as we want more friends to Japa here via school route, it's scary that the UK is kinda fully depending on fees to survive!

Something is wrong somewhere and this pattern is not sustainable at all.

cheesy grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 10:06pm On Dec 16, 2023
hustla:

LOL she was trying to be politically correct even when facts are obvious

They take so many smoke breaks that youll almost want to pretend to be a smoker so you can get some breaks too grin

If you are talking about vaping, how about the Nitrous Oxide that's littered on the streets? Teenagers will enter a train and SK stench will fill the air . Its really really bad

I wasn't being politically correct, it's not a problem where I live or work - just as drugs and knife crime are prevalent in certain areas but not a national epidemic.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
Zahra29:

I wasn't being politically correct, it's not a problem where I live or work - just as drugs and knife crime are prevalent in certain areas but not a national epidemic.

It's all good

wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 11:14pm On Dec 16, 2023
Yy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Please do you people really pay £10.99 per month for Apple Music in this country? 😭

I switched my location from Nigeria to the UK and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Now to take it back to where I come from is stressing me out. 🥲

I used to use my MTN sim to pay for my Apple Music back home when all cards were failing, but will that method work here now? 🥲

We android lovers use, Spotify,Deezer & Audiomack.......🤣😜

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 1:13am On Dec 17, 2023
Jamesclooney:

Thanks for your response. Any difference in making a big cash deposit into my UK bank account or doing it in piecemeal say £2k per month for 6 months (Jan - June), then apply for mortgage in Jun or thereabouts?

Also to show proof of earning the money, would I be asked to show my payslips from Nigerian company from two years+ (the last payslip from Naija company was in March 2022). Note Naira was then paid to Aboki for deposit into my domicilary account.
The question for you is can you explain the source of your funds? Can you prove it?

If your answers are yes, do as you please, if your answers are no then there is a problem.

I had 5k deposit in my account that wasn't my salary, they asked me about it, I explained and proved it, case close.

I can bring in £100k today and apply for a mortgage tomorrow without fear or favour, if they ask I will simply explain and prove it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 1:23am On Dec 17, 2023
Jamesclooney:

Congrats brother! Please I have a question. I want to buy a new build first home as well. Middle of 2024 will make it 2years.

I’m in Nigeria at the moment. I’m liquidating my domiciliary account and want to carry about $12,000 or more cash on me to avoid FX losses when I convert to GBP. It’s legitimate income from employment. Has anyone done this before? What do I need to upon landing? Anything to declare.

Also how do I avoid questions around AML?

Lastly, is money box same thing as Lifetime ISA ? I have an account with Newcastle building society.

Thanks ahead

Cc
@ticha

Use lemonade now called lemify to move your money to uk account to reduce airport stress of how you get the money even if it's legit the time wasted on explaining could get you tired

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 2:12am On Dec 17, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Hi guys,
To current and past students here, has anyone had any experience of successfully contesting a grade? How did it go? 🤔

lol. Had a funny experience, got D for a project. The course ended with the project and had two lecturers for the course. One lecturer and one prof. Wrote to the lecturer copying the professor about possible error in my grade. She replied with my score for each section. Thanked her and told her something seems off as I still don’t accept the mark from the prof section. Prof was planning vacation so wasn’t replying mail. Lecturer replied and said the reason I got a low score was cos I submitted an empty file.

I replied her apologizing for wasting her time when i submitted an empty file. Prof replied and said he was impressed with how I handled the situation citing “student of this age don’t address issue in that manner”. He said he will remark my project if I could prove that it’s the same file I submitted. I agreed and he set up a zoom meeting.

He called, I shared my screen, opened file, we matched date and time I submitted the first file. Everything was same. Went thru file location and when we confirmed it was same. He watched me move that file to him. We chatted for over 30mins, he talked about how students were well behaved during his time (I believe he’s in his 80’s or 90’s). Long story short: Man marked script and I got a B.

I believe the context for contesting and how you present your contest will determine the outcome . Not forgetting that there are also lecturers here (like in Naij) who thinks no one should get an A (except God) 😂🤣😅

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 2:25am On Dec 17, 2023
Angela90:

1- Are you using Binance as a UK resident?
2- How do you avoid the tax on crypto? I heard the tax is crazy.
3- What is Uphold? You said you'd rather get paid by Uphold

1. I don’t think so, lately (in the last 1yr), I have not been using binance daily. I believe maybe once or twice in a month. I just transfer USDT there to buy coins to hold for long or to do Naira P2P. I use Gate.io for daily trading and not as UK resident. Opened it with Naija details and document so I left it that way, when they prompted to confirm location I ignored.

2. If I am being honest, I don’t know anyone who gets taxed for crypto as at right now. There’s always been lots of talk around it, but I don’t think it’s been implemented. That said, I believe you will only be taxed if there are evidence to proof that you are into trading coins. Hence, why I avoid UK P2P or selling coins for pounds in any form.

3. Uphold is an exchange site that buys crypto for pounds and offer different forms to using your crypto for daily expenses ( like crypto master cards). I have never used them, but someone introduced them on here some years back and recently @abuhusna1 suggested it again.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 3:19am On Dec 17, 2023
I pay 12.99 for Youtube Premium which includes Youtube music. Its indispensable to my day-to-day life.

You work very hard and should have these little things for your own enjoyment. Otherwise , you may just be working for other people.

Thewritingnerd:
Please do you people really pay £10.99 per month for Apple Music in this country? 😭

I switched my location from Nigeria to the UK and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Now to take it back to where I come from is stressing me out. 🥲

I used to use my MTN sim to pay for my Apple Music back home when all cards were failing, but will that method work here now? 🥲

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:30am On Dec 17, 2023
missjekyll:
I pay 12.99 for Youtube Premium which includes Youtube music. Its indispensable to my day-to-day life.

You work very hard and should have these little things for your own enjoyment. Otherwise , you may just be working for other people.

We android lovers, simply use Vanced on our smartphones & S Beta on our TV's ............🤣😜

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 7:40am On Dec 17, 2023
Thewritingnerd:

You can pay a fraction of that price through your studentbeans or UNiDAYS account. If you are not utilising your student benefits, set up those accounts now!!!! I dey enjoy them through wifey’s own set up

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 7:41am On Dec 17, 2023
Viruses:
Been waiting to share this, wanted to have my keys first.

So after exactly 2 years in the UK, I got a house on a mortgage, new build.
What I like to see… Congratulations 🥳🥳

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (556) (Reply)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

Viewing this topic: Seynex01

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.