Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,145 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (406) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (465446 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) ... (537) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 7:45pm On Jan 15
Ukliving:
Is it possible for a couple to apply for psw without adding a dependant child?

Then apply later for the child

This is due to limited funds

Just make sure you applied for him before the expiry date on the BRP
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:48pm On Jan 15
jedisco:

Thanks for this. The last time I was on DMO, it's surprising how small the percentage of our debt is owed to the Chinese yet these are the most accounted for.
Over 60% of our debt is owed to various western agencies for which we can't point to one thing they were used for. A dollar loaned from China had proven more beneficial to Nigerian than 10 from IMF

Of recent, there's been an obsession in western nations to 'warn' Africa about Chinese loans- one which I find evidently hypocritical. Like I asked a colleague recently, why are you worried?

This video by the president of Barbados put it eloquently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4sJqR2VNPA

Who do you blame for that?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 8:30pm On Jan 15
lavida001:

Just make sure you applied for him before the expiry date on the BRP

Ok thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwell(m): 8:47pm On Jan 15
Gurus in the house, I’ve been trying to book a Schengen visa appointment for days but I can’t seem to find any. Does anyone know how I can land one?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 8:53pm On Jan 15
Lol I can’t believe people are treating a shitshow where millions of lives have been lost on both sides like it’s a football club. Doing “I’m team this” “I’m team that”.

One would almost forget that hospitals with neonatal units are being bombed AND even Israel hostages still being held on the other side have legitimate fear for their lives, because these bombings are “take-all”, it’s not going to separate the Palestinians it’s intended for from the hostages still being held captive.

Mainstream news truly blights the human conscience fr.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:26pm On Jan 15
justwise:

Who do you blame for that?

It's not about passing blame games. You need to review the total debt stock of these nations, what these loans were used for, the opportunity forgone and then decide.

Looking at Nigeria we know quite well, we've been inundated with warnings of how China would soon own Nigeria- callings which forced the DMO to create a special document for these loans.

Loans from China account for less than 10% of our external debt stock. Oddly, they have accounted for over 90% of major FG funded infrastructure over the last decade. Abuja airport, rails etc- these are things I have used and been impressed by.

Can you tell me what the other 90% borrowed has been used for?

Are we more likely to go broke by the 'smaller' and very productive sums borrowed from China at rates of 3% or less or by our huge eurobond debts some running at over 10 % interest much of which has now been looted back into Europe?

Just like I've done with Nigeria, give me a breakdown of any of the countries listed and we discuss.
P.s. the workings of China should be rightly scrutinised but even more scrutiny should go to western agencies which have ruined countless nations. This scrutiny is sorely lacking.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:40pm On Jan 15
Atk1nson:

This is the china that does not saddle other countries with loan.

Nigeria is also facing huge budgetary problems due to servicing chinese loans, a problem likely to get worse in the future.

You hate the west and western media but close to live in the same west.

You know, China, Russia, Iran, Lebanon all have embassies and issue visa

First can you tone down with the emotion and racism as highlighted.

Secondly, virtually every western news outlet and public official has been warning Africa on the dangers of China. Pause and ask yourself why the sudden care. Is it out of love?

Let me remind you that in less than 50yrs, China took over 750million people out of poverty. Take that away and there's been very little change in world poverty. They might eventually become a super world power and likely the first to achieve that in human history without invading any other nation - a far cry from every previous world power that left pillage and suffering in their wake.

Thirdly, Africans have had over 400yrs of interraction with the west. We are evidently in the right to air views.

Lastly, see my post above and tell exactly how your statement 'Nigeria is also facing huge budgetary problems due to servicing chinese loans, a problem likely to get worse in the future' holds true.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phenmeson(m): 9:56pm On Jan 15
Lexusgs430:

With an android TV...... You don't need anything extra........ 🤣🙄

Oga Lexus we no go gree ooo.
Help Una people ooo to watch super eagles.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:46pm On Jan 15
Phenmeson:

Oga Lexus we no go gree ooo.
Help Una people ooo to watch super eagles.

🤣😍😁

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:53pm On Jan 15
Goodenoch:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/aDEMOahqbo?XL=MIANS

Amex is the most liberal for immigrants in my experience.

Have you tried MBNA or Virgin....... This one's would suffocate you with credit limit......... 😜🤣

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tolzeal(m): 1:46am On Jan 16
Lexusgs430:

Have you tried MBNA or Virgin....... This one's would suffocate you with credit limit......... 😜🤣

Does that mean they’re good or bad ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:16am On Jan 16
Tolzeal:

Does that mean they’re good or bad ?

Very good.......😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 3:29am On Jan 16
Goodenoch:

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/aDEMOahqbo?XL=MIANS

Amex is the most liberal for immigrants in my experience.

Application was rejectedsad

Will reaching out to customer care make a difference?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ukliving: 3:30am On Jan 16
Lexusgs430:

Which one of their cards please?
Any referral links
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:00am On Jan 16
Ukliving:

Which one of their cards please?
Any referral links

They don't offer jack + no referral links......

MBNA - Dual offer.....

Virgin - Balance transfer cards + 0% interest on purchases.......

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:01am On Jan 16
Ukliving:

What's on your credit report........

Always check eligibility, prior to application.....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tolzeal(m): 9:25am On Jan 16
Ukliving:

-You should have check eligibility before applying. That would leave a hard search on your profile . I’d suggest not trying to apply for anymore CC for the next few months .

Use apps like Credit Karma or ClearScore to find pre-qualified CC before applying

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tolzeal(m): 9:26am On Jan 16
Lexusgs430:

They don't offer jack + no referral links......

MBNA - Dual offer.....

Virgin - Bslance transfer cards + 0% interest on purchases.......

Not sure they would give to someone without much UK records , say less than a year . Tried their eligibility checker and got the rejection.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 10:24am On Jan 16
So I just got a credit card with high interest rate. The rate doesn't bother me anyway because my intention is to use the card to buy things from Asda for instance and then pay back to boost my credit limit limit and score. My question us this, should I always wait for them to send me statement or I should just return the money used as soon as I used it. Please help so as to avoid paying interest. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by D1uncle: 11:31am On Jan 16
elengine:
So I just got a credit card with high interest rate. The rate doesn't bother me anyway because my intention is to use the card to buy things from Asda for instance and then pay back to boost my credit limit limit and score. My question us this, should I always wait for them to send me statement or I should just return the money used as soon as I used it. Please help so as to avoid paying interest. Thanks.

The best practice is to set up a direct debit and try to keep your payment under control prior to your statement date, ensuring your statement always has a reasonable balance.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eluquenson(m): 12:17pm On Jan 16
kwell:
Gurus in the house, I’ve been trying to book a Schengen visa appointment for days but I can’t seem to find any. Does anyone know how I can land one?
which country are you trying to book?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamAfrik(m): 12:59pm On Jan 16
I really don't understand why some people cannot think straight. You hit someone with an hammer and start crying when he brings out a gun? Does hamas care about the suffering of their people? For the fact that they are still keeping Israeli hostage and firing rockets shows they are interested in fighting and ready for the consequences.
What have the Palestinians suffered that has not been suffered by Black people in the past, yet we don't go around killing and kidnapping. Let the terrorists drop their weapons and give activism a chance. At least Black people had persons like Martin Luther, Mandela and India had Ghandi. It may take time and sacrifice but things would eventually get better.
justwise:

I recently unfollowed a longtime friend on facebook because of this, we used to share a house when I was a student and his anti western views is outrageous, since this war started my Facebook timeline is full of videos clips and pro Hamas materials.
You can criticise certain western policies without hating the west with passion.

Russian and Chinese embassies are pretty much empty while getting an appointment for American visa applications take months, people sale all they have, borrowed and engaged in all sorts of fraudulent activities just to get UK visa but they hate the west?

How many of us will live in Russia or china and at the same time openly speak or support American or the west?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Qwesiri: 3:00pm On Jan 16
hayesconcept:
Attached the expired passport and enrolment letter for the renewal with cover letter and switch your visa

Hi Please I need help.
I applied to renew my Nigerian passport in July 2023. I did my capturing on 18th October 2023, paid the post order too. I was given a slip saying collection date is 15th December 2023 and I'm yet to receive it. I am due to switch my student visa but I'm yet to do biometrics as my current passport expires 23rd January 2024. Please how do I contact high commission? Or Do I go to London?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 3:34pm On Jan 16
Not sure you need the passport to do your PSW application. Set up your UKVI account using your existing BRP details. As for the renewed passport, have you checked the status through https://track.immigration.gov.ng/?

Qwesiri:

Hi Please I need help.
I applied to renew my Nigerian passport in July 2023. I did my capturing on 18th October 2023, paid the post order too. I was given a slip saying collection date is 15th December 2023 and I'm yet to receive it. I am due to switch my student visa but I'm yet to do biometrics as my current passport expires 23rd January 2024. Please how do I contact high commission? Or Do I go to London?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 3:39pm On Jan 16
You have to exercise patience for your passport to come out. You can actually switch your visa with expired passport. Since you will switch inside the UK. Just use the ID check app with your BRP and you don’t need to go for any capturing. You just need to write a cover letter to explain the reason why you’re using expired passport and also attached your passport renewal form. Switch your visa and be good
Qwesiri:

Hi Please I need help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 3:58pm On Jan 16
SamAfrik:
I really don't understand why some people cannot think straight. You hit someone with an hammer and start crying when he brings out a gun? Does hamas care about the suffering of their people? For the fact that they are still keeping Israeli hostage and firing rockets shows they are interested in fighting and ready for the consequences.
What have the Palestinians suffered that has not been suffered by Black people in the past, yet we don't go around killing and kidnapping. Let the terrorists drop their weapons and give activism a chance. At least Black people had persons like Martin Luther, Mandela and India had Ghandi. It may take time and sacrifice but things would eventually get better.

I feel really sorry for innocent Palestinians who got caught up in this war, they are the real victims here and not Hamas. Israel is doing what any country will do even though don’t support their occupation of Palestinian land which leads to this endless conflict.

Palestinians will have even wider support if not for Hamas

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by IcecoldDon: 6:52pm On Jan 16
Hello Boss, could you give examples of those traders you mentioned that we could study/copy their trades and positions daily and learn from that?

Lexusgs430:

The beauty of T212, you can copy pies..... I copy a pie called '' Almost daily Dividends '' ....... This pie is a brilliant pie .......😜🤣

Some people might say, buying individual shares is too risky..... So they stick to ETF's or other instruments....... My answer to them is, why not do all.........😁😜

A comparison of one of my portfolios vs ETF.....🤣

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:27pm On Jan 16
EJIOGBENIMI:
Hello house. I’ll be 1 year in the uk by ending of next month. I opened Moneybox today and I funded my LISA with 3,500. I also put an order for a weekly deposit of £45 and monthly boost of 1000.
I am totally green when it comes to buying a property in the uk.
I don’t have a credit card. No other source of income aside from my salary.
What other things can you suggest to boost my chances of meeting up with the requirements of buying my first property in 1 year time?
My target is to save abt 40k in addition to my LISA contribution. Planning to buy home in Scotland.

If you read through this thread and ask questions there, you'd be just fine:

https://www.nairaland.com/7534564/living-uk-propertymortgage-related

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Owoado(m): 7:48pm On Jan 16
hustla:

Just follow whats on the website.. Print required docs and go early in the morning

Pretty straightforward
Boss, abeg you don receive your passport yet?

(1) (2) (3) ... (403) (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) ... (537) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Jomdavid, isshigo(m), xty4u(f)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.