Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,732 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (409) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (466188 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) (411) (412) ... (537) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 12:34pm On Jan 18
Estroller:

How were you able to get around the passport details section of the application with an expired date please?
In the section where it asks for passport expiry date, I add a year after to scale through.
Then at the end of the form whee it asks for any additional comments or any space I find I write a short letter there explaining the date change in order to scale through and explain coherently to UKVI my current situation with renewing my passport in the country and I did not want to delay further with my visa application and risk becoming an overstayer. That I am making all conscious efforts to have a renewed passport but have to renew my visa so I do not become illegal. I also state that I would submit the new passport details as soon as I receive it vis a vis time frames of the Nigeria High Commission. The second time I added my passport payment receipts and form and told this in the cover letter.

10 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Estroller: 1:52pm On Jan 18
giselle237:

In the section where it asks for passport expiry date, I add a year after to scale through.
Then at the end of the form whee it asks for any additional comments or any space I find I write a short letter there explaining the date change in order to scale through and explain coherently to UKVI my current situation with renewing my passport in the country and I did not want to delay further with my visa application and risk becoming an overstayer. That I am making all conscious efforts to have a renewed passport but have to renew my visa so I do not become illegal. I also state that I would submit the new passport details as soon as I receive it vis a vis time frames of the Nigeria High Commission. The second time I added my passport payment receipts and form and told this in the cover letter.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Datakey: 1:58pm On Jan 18
bigtt76:
They all carry out hard search ...no way to escape this once you are approved. Having too many credit cards affects your scores though. Why not wait a few more months and request limit upgrade?

Alright, I will do just that.

Thanks for this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rayralph(m): 3:21pm On Jan 18
elengine:

How did you get this good score in your 5th months in UK. And you also have credit cards. How did you guys do it when I couldn't access credit card until 12 months

Your credit score is “insignificant”

What matters is your credit history.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwell(m): 3:32pm On Jan 18
eluquenson:
which country are you trying to book?

Germany
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 3:55pm On Jan 18
please can anyone recommend a good electric/halogen heater that is pocket friendly. I know some were highlighted in the past but I can't find them now.

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 4:10pm On Jan 18
@lexusgs460 and gadget guys.

did you guys see the massive discount on S24 Ultra and they are throwing in a watch 6 too. first time it will be cheaper in UK than in USA
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamAfrik(m): 4:36pm On Jan 18
jedisco:

First, Hamas is not equivalent to Palestine.

I find your bolded statement on black history very aborhent and ignorant. Every single right you enjoy as a black man in the West today (bar none) was the product of blood and tears.

Know the history of these men before you sully their names in mud. Mandela was christened a terrorist by Margaret Tatcher and the ANC as a terrorist organisation. Mandela remained on the US terror watch list until 2008. Think about that. We could also highlight how the US saw MLK during his time. Know their history before eulogising them.

Let me ask was Mandela ever a terrorist and if yes, at what point did he stop becoming one?

P.s. if responding, think carefully beforehand so you don't anger the West
. I know Mandela's violent past when he was ANC youth leader but where did that take him. He made more gains by preaching peace and self sacrifice. Martin Luther and Ghandi also paid the ultimate price for what they believed. You are the ignorant person here if you think terrorism (Hamas) is the best approach. If you are so pained, kindly take a gun and head to Palestine.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Eky29: 4:42pm On Jan 18
Good evening
Please I have a question the requires urgent answer.

I asked someone to assist me in Authenticating my police clearance at the Nigeria high commission London. I have already legalized it ministry of foreign affairs Abuja and now i need to authenticate it in Nigeria high commission London. Please how can the person get an appointment at the embassy.

He has called their numbers and no one is picking.
I urgently need help on how one can get appointment?
Or can the person just walk in with the document for
Authentication without appointment?
Thank you, I shall await your response.

Tier4Dependant:

If your partner and child are not with you in the UK as dependants on your student visa, they wont be able to come to the UK as your dependants on a graduate visa.

You can go ahead if your lawyer insists, maybe you will be the first person I will know that gets rejected.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightofjoy(m): 9:54pm On Jan 18
Thanks I understand but the issue is that the permission to use international DL to drive is just one year and I don't want police wahala.
elengine:

Why don't you maintain statusqou. Must you do shakara to them now that you have full licence? Hope you get the point now?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eyesaswide: 11:29pm On Jan 18
ReesheesuKnack:

My take on this: Let her plead, beg, implore , beg and plead with the employer to give her some time to arrange child care.
From my experience of these matters (and based on what you have posted here), it will amount to a massive waste of her time, resources and mental health if she pursues some of the options being mentioned by respondents here.

Posers are:
a. She verbally told employer she would be on mat leave for 9 months? Where is the evidence such a thing was agreed?

b. When she was on a tier-4 dependant visa and working for this employer (note my choice of words, I didn’t use EMPLOYED), did she sign a contract? Was she on zero-hours contract or permanent employment?

c. Was she interviewed before she was given a CoS? What does the transcript of the interview say? Did she agree at interview that she will start immediately? What was the agreed start date at interview?

d. A CoS is NOT a job contract. If the employer decides to revoke a CoS, the employer could cite that the prospective employee provided false (or misleading) information during interview.

Etc…..

In conclusion, tell this woman to beg, plead and plead again and again. She (actually) has no locus standi to claim wrongful dismissal.

Update

She has reached an agreement with her employer on when to resume (peaceably if I may add). Employer even agreed to assign her shifts when her husband is home and off work because of the child (no crazy childcare costs).

Thank you everyone for your input.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mosme: 11:29pm On Jan 18
Hi all,

Please if a student who is suppose to work 20hours a week is given about 36 hours a week to work but told by the employer that at the end of the month they will make sure he has worked 80 hours a month, is this a breach of his student visa working hours ?

Second question when can a masters student start full time work without breech, is it when the course ends or when class ends and during dissertation

Thank you in advance for your response
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eluquenson(m): 11:38pm On Jan 18
kwell:

Germany
You can try any other Schengen country visa, it’s all the same.
Try Denmark or Iceland
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 12:14am On Jan 19
Mosme:
Hi all,

Please if a student who is suppose to work 20hours a week is given about 36 hours a week to work but told by the employer that at the end of the month they will make sure he has worked 80 hours a month, is this a breach of his student visa working hours ?

Second question when can a masters student start full time work without breech, is it when the course ends or when class ends and during dissertation

Thank you in advance for your response
20 hrs/ week should remain 20 hrs/week.

After you submit dissertation, you can start working full time.
Mind you most employers will request share code or some kind of evidence showing you have been cleared.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 12:28am On Jan 19
lavida001:

20 hrs/ week should remain 20 hrs/week.

After you submit dissertation, you can start working full time.
Mind you most employers will request share code or some kind of evidence showing you have been cleared.

It is not always straightforward like that. You can only work full term when you are NOT in term time and/or after you have officially completed your course. You may submit your dissertation and still be in term time. and even still have other coursework to complete

CC Mosme, I will advise you check your term time calendar or ask from the school. These things vary from one school to another even across different courses in the same school

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 3:18am On Jan 19
Please I need someone to kindly repost those voluteering job links. Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Eky29: 9:10am On Jan 19
Good morning everyone
People that have been to Nigeria high commission London.
Please I have a question the requires urgent answer.
Tasked someone to assist me in Authenticating my police clearance at the Nigeria high commission
London. I have already legalized it ministry of foreign affairs Abuja and now i need to authenticate it in Nigeria high commission London. Please how can the person get an appointment at the embassy.
He has called their numbers and no one is picking.
I urgently need help on how one can get appointment?
Or can the person just walk in with the document for Authentication without appointment?
Thank you, I shall await your response.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:43am On Jan 19
eyesaswide:

Update

She has reached an agreement with her employer on when to resume (peaceably if I may add). Employer even agreed to assign her shifts when her husband is home and off work because of the child (no crazy childcare costs).

We thank God

No be everything be Gidigbo grin

Peaceful resolution should always come first

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:49am On Jan 19
Tolzeal:

I’m using an app called “55 Football Live “ that’s the only stable place I’ve seen.

To access the current live games , click “ Live” tab and you should see all available matches including the AFCON games .

PS : I think this mainly work on iOS atm. I have it on my iPad.

Surprising to know that some of us are still not using one form of IPTV provider or the other... IPTV on my phone, laptop, TV box, tab grin

Watch anything watchable
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:50am On Jan 19
Lexusgs430:

With an android TV...... You don't need anything extra........ 🤣🙄

Yeah boss. But me nor buy smart TV, I use box. Plus laptop, phone and things...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:58am On Jan 19
ehizario2012:

Yeah boss. But me nor buy smart TV, I use box. Plus laptop, phone and things...

Is your laptop a 75'' variant........🤣😜
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:58am On Jan 19
Zahra29:

"Bloody liar"...you sound as reasonable and peaceable as the group you're defending.

I suppose the reports about the hostages is all fake news as well.

It's the "peaceable" in ur comment I like! Very violent set of people
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:03am On Jan 19
ReesheesuKnack:
I find it amusing that the very people who profess so much extreme hatred for ‘the West’ and so much hatred for ‘western values’ are the same who would use any means, including lying, pretense, deceit and every hook and crook means to travel , relocate and live in … “The West”.

Someone will go and make false declaration, or decide to enrol for an MSc in all sorts of Mickey Mouse degrees as a ‘back door’ to migrate to ‘the West’. As soon as the person crosses Heathrow Boarder force (other ports of entries are available), the West now become enemies and hypocrites and western values and policies now become something to detest.

You have sympathy for Hamas. You are pro-Hamas. The UK regards Hamas as a terror organisation. Yet, when filling your UK visa application, you lied that you have never shown support to a terrorist organization. Who is the liar and hypocrite here?

If I hate(d) the West, and I hate ‘the hypocrites’ and I abhor Western values, then my japa plans will be to head to the East, or the South, or the North. Definitely not the West.

Exactly. Anybody living in the UK has absolutely no right to criticize western values, better to just jump and pass if not comfortable with it. There are many things I don't agree with in the UK especially s*x* orientation etc but as I carried my full self to their land, I must respect them. If Nigerian leaders were barely reasonable, many would remain in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 10:08am On Jan 19
ehizario2012:

Exactly. Anybody living in the UK has absolutely no right to criticize western values, better to just jump and pass if not comfortable with it. There are many things I don't agree with in the UK especially s*x* orientation etc but as I carried my full self to their land, I must respect them. If Nigerian leaders were barely reasonable, many would remain in Nigeria.

You are talking with both sides of your mouth.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:16am On Jan 19
jedisco:

Keep hearing difft things abt iptv..

What's wrong with amazon fire stick?

Amazon firestick is more controlled.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:18am On Jan 19
jedisco:

I used an app called Credit Karma which guides you on whats needs to be done to improve your credit rating and lets you see soft/hard search.

All said, the 'score' is overhyped and counts for little to nothing when you come to get a mortgage. What's important is not having an adverse credit hx (e.g missed payment), your deposit, good income hx and sensible outgoings.

There's also a rent reporting agency which you can use to report regular rent payments on your credit file but again, I doubt how much effect that has in getting a mortgage.

Very interested in this rent reporting agency... So that my rent money won't be dead money according to some ogas here grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:23am On Jan 19
Thewritingnerd:
Lol I can’t believe people are treating a shitshow where millions of lives have been lost on both sides like it’s a football club. Doing “I’m team this” “I’m team that”.

One would almost forget that hospitals with neonatal units are being bombed AND even Israel hostages still being held on the other side have legitimate fear for their lives, because these bombings are “take-all”, it’s not going to separate the Palestinians it’s intended for from the hostages still being held captive.

Mainstream news truly blights the human conscience fr.

Israel don't negotiate with terrorists. Entebbe comes to mind. But Israel was actually forced by the US to negotiate with Hamas this time. Normally, Israel would treat the hostages as collateral damage if they can't extract them forcefully... But they'll ensure like 50 Palestinians are killed in place of one single Israeli life lost. It's an eye for multiple eyes.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:31am On Jan 19
lightofjoy:
I first applied for my provisional license, then I wrote the theory test and thereafter I took the practical. For me, the whole process took about 3 months.

Genius cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:36am On Jan 19
elengine:

Why don't you maintain statusqou. Must you do shakara to them now that you have full licence? Hope you get the point now?

Lol @shakara

But it's not easy getting that license, it's worth the respect...

Even though we hearing some paki people are running things onto this license level even for this UK...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 10:41am On Jan 19
Anyone interested in a shared house in London?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:47am On Jan 19
missjekyll:

How very dare you,sir... Mind speaking only for yourself? And don't do any of your thieving where I can see you as I ll come down on you like a ton of bricks.
I didn't leave Nigeria to come here and see my second country fail too.

I m actually very annoyed at this

This resonates very well with me honestly. We must not allow this UK to fail, where next?? Russia or China or Palestine or Saudi Arabia?? No way.

I genuinely prayed that UK must not fail the first day I and wife visited salvation army and got welcome gifts to settle down as new comers (the white lady never used the word migrant, she was so careful). My aim was to ensure I start donating to charity too to keep the cycle going.

That destructive Nigerian mentality must never thrive here, but sadly it's getting pervasive in some big cities in UK already. Bad eggs from Africa mixed with Paki, Eastern European gangs etc

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:51am On Jan 19
eyesaswide:

Update

Nice one. Approach is key.

It's a word that brings kolanut from the the pocket, it's also a word that brings a sword from the scabbard.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) (411) (412) ... (537) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: corpershun and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.