Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (448) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (473703 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) ... (545) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 9:46pm On Feb 19
makazona:

Haa. You get mind o. But seriously how did you transition from driving on the right to driving on the left? How did quickly understand the difference in road structure btwn Naija and UK? What if you made mistakes that got the attention of the police?

Many questions on my mind o. You try o

Many question begging for answers πŸ˜€

My first Second day in UK , I drove my sister Car was making few mistake but she gave me a hint of always remember the driver is in the middle of the roadπŸ˜€.
The transition was easy because my work required me to drive a Van every week.
As for the police part, my 365days in UK as been police freeπŸ˜€, and it shall stay so inshaAllal

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:53pm On Feb 19
yolkman20:
Good afternoon fams,
Trust ya'll are doing great. I greet everyone.

My friend needs help, kindly read and advise.

This is really painful to hear.

I don't know if it's too late to explore this approach, but if I understand how financial ombudsman work (as per my previous experience with them):
Raise a complaint with your service provider (i.e the insurance company in this instance).
Do not agree to close the complaint until you are satisfied.
As you have not agreed to close the complaint, your service provider will officially notify you of their final decision regarding the complaint and say they will implement that decision and close the complaint.
As your service provider has taken a final position, raise the issue with financial ombudsman stating that you are not satisfied with the providers final decision.
Financial ombudsman will take the issue up and your service provider will be mandated to respond according to the ombudsman terms, therefore you MAY not be affected by the 6 months response rule.

If you take an issue to the ombudsman without exhausting the service provider's complaint process up to their final decision on the complaint, then the ombudsman will treat the issue according to the service provider's terms, in fact in this scenario, the ombudsman will need the service provider's approval to treat the issue.

I'm not sure but I believe you have right to see the various evidences and invoices of repairs, you just need to request them through the appropriate channels.

That aside, my friend's 2022 ID5 bumper was scratched, it was fixed with Β£4k+.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Controlv: 9:54pm On Feb 19
yolkman20:
Good afternoon fams,
Trust ya'll are doing great. I greet everyone.

My friend needs help, kindly read and advise.

This incident happened in Sept 2022. Shortly after, My insurance company requested I pay Β£4,335 for repairing a car that I never had impact with, I reported to FOS a long time ago but lately, FOS claimed they do not have jurisdiction on the matter since the second Final response from the insurance company was not submitted within the β€œ6months rule”.

The claimant presented a video that showed no damage to the said car. They canceled my policy and made me pay the remaining pro-rated amount on the policy which was 3 months old. I paid the remaining 9 months for nothing just to avoid issues. Only for them to come back after 1 month claiming they have settled the claim and I will be responsible 100% for the damages after they took the total policy charges.

Sorry about this.

But I presume the premium paid was meant to cover damages to third parties since the policy was active at the time of incident.

Β£4k is alot of money and I strongly hope you find help.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:12pm On Feb 19
Lexusgs430:

If you love your sanity and don't want to be a victim of vehicle insurance fraud........ Make sure you instal a daahcam.......

You have simply been fast gamed...... Victim of insurance fraud.... I think you did not act within reasonable time, to challenge this claim.......

Do you have any pictures or videos, of the incident........

(Sorry your friend)......,πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
I have some questions please because I'm getting confused somehow

Assuming I have insurance (comprehensive or third party) following an incident, is the insurance not supposed to fix the other car free in the worst case scenario? I thought that is what insurance is for?

If I cancel my contract, I know I will pay the remaining term, but if my service provider terminates the contract, am I supposed to pay the remaining term? Just like my landlord giving me quit notice within my contract and asking me to still pay the rent till tenure end.

If the position of the insurance company is that contract no longer exist, am I not supposed to be entitled to claims that happened while the contract was in force.

These questions are popping up in my head because I'm thinking that even if there was contact and the OP was in the wrong, the insurance company should still pay for the repairs.

I understand the need for a dashcam, but looking at the last point above, even with a dashcam, the insurance company can just cancel the contract and ask me to pay too because contract no longer exist.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:28pm On Feb 19
Viruses:

I have some questions please because I'm getting confused somehow

Assuming I have insurance (comprehensive or third party) following an incident, is the insurance not supposed to fix the other car free in the worst case scenario? I thought that is what insurance is for?

If I cancel my contract, I know I will pay the remaining term, but if my service provider terminates the contract, am I supposed to pay the remaining term? Just like my landlord giving me quit notice within my contract and asking me to still pay the rent till tenure end.

If the position of the insurance company is that contract no longer exist, am I not supposed to be entitled to claims that happened while the contract was in force.

These questions are popping up in my head because I'm thinking that even if there was contact and the OP was in the wrong, the insurance company should still pay for the repairs.

I understand the need for a dashcam, but looking at the last point above, even with a dashcam, the insurance company can just cancel the contract and ask me to pay too because contract no longeer exist.

OP needs to clarify why his insurance was voided....... More to the story.........πŸ˜‚

Most of what you stated, is what your insurance company is supposed to do ........ But at the point of a claim, your insurance can run a DD check on the insured and void policy (if any discrepancy was uncovered)......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:31pm On Feb 19
bigtt76:
How are they comfortable enough to be staying with you without plans to look for their own apartment?, πŸ˜‚...Me I won't be that comfortable though as I would feel the guilt of not contributing to the rent or running of the house even without being prompted to do so. People are wired differently though πŸ˜‚ I hope their knacking nor de disturb your sleep though 🫣🀭🀣🀣🀣

Not all sexual rendezvous are noisy..........🀣😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yolkman20: 10:52pm On Feb 19
Lexusgs430:

OP needs to clarify why his insurance was voided....... More to the story.........πŸ˜‚

Most of what you stated, is what your insurance company is supposed to do ........ But at the point of a claim, your insurance can run a DD check on the insured and void policy (if any discrepancy was uncovered)......

The Policy was cancelled due to driver using Provisional License and did not disclose the details of the accompanying driver during the first phone conversation with the insurance investigator as there were threats from the insurance and the claimant mechanic who was in custody of the car. However, she later got the details of the driver but the insurance company never admit to that as it was not disclosed during the first interrogation which was about 2months after the incident.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yolkman20: 10:54pm On Feb 19
[quote author=Viruses post=128542399]

The car is Nissan Qashqai 2013 cry
he no fit reach lailai
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:57pm On Feb 19
yolkman20:

The Policy was cancelled due to driver using Provisional License and did not disclose the details of the accompanying driver during the first phone conversation with the insurance investigator as there were threats from the insurance and the claimant mechanic who was in custody of the car. However, she later got the details of the driver but the insurance company never admit to that as it was not disclosed during the first interrogation which was about 2months after the incident.

One of the reasons one must be truthful and open, when undertaking an insurance policy......... Your friend set herself up for a fall. .........

This case would be very difficult to fight, the other claimant, took massive advantage of the whole situation........

Your friend would have to pay up or go fight her case in court.........

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 11:05pm On Feb 19
Lexusgs430:

You're right.

I now remember when we had a debate here on using certain templates to complete insurance applications. Things could really go wrong.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yolkman20: 11:05pm On Feb 19
Lexusgs430:

One of the reasons one must be truthful and open, when undertaking an insurance policy......... Your friend set herself up for a fall. .........

This case would be very difficult to fight, the other claimant, took massive advantage of the whole situation........

Your friend would have to pay up or go fight her case in court.........

Do you think he'll have a chance in court? Maybe to reduce the price at least?

The insurance shared with them the video evidence and it doesn't correspond with what they charged him for. They held the video evidence for more than 6 months claiming they've deleted it, only for them to release it when he told them we won't pay.
I can share the video and all the invoices they said they spent on the claimant's car, ko make sense rara.

He wants to know the implications of going to court with them, and is it even advisable to do that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 11:13pm On Feb 19
yolkman20:

It looks like the insurance company is not even interested in whether your friend was right or wrong because s/he is not insured in the first instance (i.e driving 'alone' on provisional license voids his/her insurance)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:24pm On Feb 19
yolkman20:

Do you think he'll have a chance in court? Maybe to reduce the price at least?

The insurance shared with them the video evidence and it doesn't correspond with what they charged him for. They held the video evidence for more than 6 months claiming they've deleted it, only for them to release it when he told them we won't pay.
I can share the video and all the invoices they said they spent on the claimant's car, ko make sense rara.

He wants to know the implications of going to court with them, and is it even advisable to do that?

The main problem your friend got is, she should not be on the road at all...... If she was not on the road, this accident/claim, would have not happened.......

Don't also forget, the other aspect of illegality..... Police have not yet been informed (if they are informed, this would be another layer of investigation + fresh charges).......

In court, she would not win !!!!! But she can take her chances....... (If matter is put through litigation, it's got cost implications).....

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:28pm On Feb 19
Viruses:

It looks like the insurance company is not even interested in whether your friend was right or wrong because s/he is not insured in the first instance (i.e driving 'alone' on provisional license voids his/her insurance)

Hence I said, OP friend set herself up for a fall..... The insurance company had no choice, but to pay...... Then chase the insured for compensation.......

Let's hope the claimant does not have an ongoing personal injury claim (if this is the case, expect another bill of over Β£5000)........πŸ˜‚πŸ€£
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:29pm On Feb 19
Viruses:

You're right.

I now remember when we had a debate here on using certain templates to complete insurance applications. Things could really go wrong.

When we say this things, they say our mouth dey smell.......πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:00am On Feb 20
No go chop sandwich wey you no buy o....... πŸ€£πŸ™„

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/cleaner-on-13-hour-fired-after-taking-sandwich-law-firm/

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 12:00am On Feb 20
Lexusgs430:

Hence I said, OP friend set herself up for a fall..... The insurance company had no choice, but to pay...... Then chase the insured for compensation.......

Let's hope the claimant does not have an ongoing personal injury claim (if this is the case, expect another bill of over Β£5000)........πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

And lost items claims...chai

This Β£4,335 now is like 9 million naira. Anyway, it's to reach payment agreement, maybe like Β£5 or Β£10 weekly.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:33am On Feb 20
Viruses:

And lost items claims...chai

This Β£4,335 now is like 9 million naira. Anyway, it's to reach payment agreement, maybe like Β£5 or Β£10 weekly.

Not as easy as Β£5 or Β£10 weekly...... OP would have to complete an income expenditure assessment form...... Before the debt recovery agents might agree to Β£10 weekly........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 12:52am On Feb 20
Lexusgs430:
No go chop sandwich wey you no buy o....... πŸ€£πŸ™„

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/cleaner-on-13-hour-fired-after-taking-sandwich-law-firm/

hmmm people see a lot o. The law firm is devilish. Why did you report if u didnt want her out.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 12:55am On Feb 20
i will love to hear this story.. reminds me of the one we read here last year... he refused to leave... caused wahala within the family..

ToshoTosin:
That's good. Thank you.
The landlord saw them when they came last year he has been asking uswhen they will move. They're not willing to look for a place yet(another story).
Lol

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:02am On Feb 20
Poanan:

hmmm people see a lot o. The law firm is devilish. Why did you report if u didnt want her out.

That's exactly what I thought..... But the devil in Devonshires, no gree them rest.... .... πŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:08am On Feb 20
profemebee:
i will love to hear this story.. reminds me of the one we read here last year... he refused to leave... caused wahala within the family..

This is part of the reason people just like to dey their corner, with their family.......

No harm in accommodating people, but ones they start working, commonsense must dictate that they make financial contributions to their host (towards bills, feeding and rent).......

But they won't make financial contributions, they would start sending all their money to Nigeria (they would not even be secretive about it)........ πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ToshoTosin(f): 5:40am On Feb 20
Borrowed them almost 10K to process their coming. My husband and i told them they could stay with us for a while since its difficult to get apartments from Nigeria. They got a temp job and they paid their fees remaining. We asked when they wanted to get an apartmentafter 3 months, we were given a list of things they want to do before they start looking. Alott happened already,
I cannot wven begin to go into. The job contract ended, so i asked again after another month if they started looking, they said they wanted to get another job first before they start looking. Our thingss were being used and thrown away without asking, our light bill for Dec n Jan was almost 900 pounds. (They asked when theu came what bill they can pay but i told them we already laid the bill for that month and rhey shouldsavw since they just came). My hubs and i are so tired, we don't know what else to do. We dont want to make them uncomfortable but we are getting there, our family friends wanted to come visit to stay since i just gave birth(and they aren't helping at all) but they can't stay because theyre in the room and the other empty one is the nursery. Theres much more they have done but i can't begin to type.
We don't know what to do without looking like bad people or make it seem like we're sending them out.
Any advise will be appreciated.
I'm curious to find out how long did family stay with you guys untill they got their place. Maybe we're being too fast. Lol.
profemebee:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:32am On Feb 20
ToshoTosin:
Borrowed them almost 10K to process their coming. My husband and i told them they could stay with us for a while since its difficult to get apartments from Nigeria.

It sounds like they are on a student visa?
Realistically, without a permanent job they'll struggle to find an apartment (in most parts of the UK) unless you're happy to act as their guarantor or lend them money for a 6 month upfront rent payment..
Registering their names to your house might mean one of two things: they're making moves to build their credit profile so they are able to move out, or they plan to be living there for a whiiiilllllle.
If you're very uncomfortable/unhappy to the point where it's starting to show in your behaviour to them, probably best to be transparent with them - explain that bills are mounting/increased cost of living; new baby and you need space for others to come help you etc etc...give them a deadline, offer support with reminders e.g sending them links to suitable apartments, and maybe ask them to start making commensurate contributions to the rent and bills.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:58am On Feb 20
ToshoTosin:
Borrowed them almost 10K to process their coming. My husband and i told them they could stay with us for a while since its difficult to get apartments from Nigeria. They got a temp job and they paid their fees remaining. We asked when they wanted to get an apartmentafter 3 months, we were given a list of things they want to do before they start looking. Alott happened already,
I cannot wven begin to go into. The job contract ended, so i asked again after another month if they started looking, they said they wanted to get another job first before they start looking. Our thingss were being used and thrown away without asking, our light bill for Dec n Jan was almost 900 pounds. (They asked when theu came what bill they can pay but i told them we already laid the bill for that month and rhey shouldsavw since they just came). My hubs and i are so tired, we don't know what else to do. We dont want to make them uncomfortable but we are getting there, our family friends wanted to come visit to stay since i just gave birth(and they aren't helping at all) but they can't stay because theyre in the room and the other empty one is the nursery. Theres much more they have done but i can't begin to type.
We don't know what to do without looking like bad people or make it seem like we're sending them out.
I'm curious to find out how long did family stay with you guys untill they got their place. Maybe we're being too fast. Lol.

Very simple...... Fake an eviction......πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 8:29am On Feb 20
ToshoTosin:
You seem like a very nice person.
My wife was staying with a family the time she arrived in September. I paid this family 350 GBP every month for a room that's the size of a passage and no heating.

One time I visited the UK in November for a work trip, as I was about to leave, the family asked me if I could help them take some items back to Nigeria and I offered that I have some free space in my box and can carry the amount of their stuff that can fit in. Na so the husband start dey insult me. After I left (on a Tuesday), he evicted my wife on Friday same week.

Funny thing is my wife still laughs with these people. She's probably as nice as you OP.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:52am On Feb 20
Oh dear. Come and take a hug. Its especially difficult when its your brother. If it was a cousin,you can kick them out and damn the consequences.

I would go with having a very frank discussion. Bring out all your bills and show them. Tell them what you want them to pay. No arguments. Set boundaries, eg ", this thing you just used and threw away, I wanted to use it.can you please not do that anymore ?",

Also ask if you need help with the baby. Not everyone's maternal to know without asking.

When we have short term guests we don't care to set boundaries. But if they are staying longer, then we do need to have these boundaries in order not to feel put upon.

This advice is general : DO NOT lend anybody money to come over. Give what you can spare and tell them you haven't got any money.
People have stopped talking to me over this policy but hey-ho

As to
ToshoTosin:
Borrowed them almost 10K to process their coming. My husband and i told them they could stay with us for a while since its difficult to get apartments from Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 9:41am On Feb 20
this thing happens even in Nigeria

They know there is family sentiments attached and leverage on that emotionally

At least, they should have a timeline when they will leave and ensure the host family are happy with the timeline

Lexusgs430:

This is part of the reason people just like to dey their corner, with their family.......

No harm in accommodating people, but ones they start working, commonsense must dictate that they make financial contributions to their host (towards bills, feeding and rent).......

But they won't make financial contributions, they would start sending all their money to Nigeria (they would not even be secretive about it)........ πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 9:47am On Feb 20
first of all, Congrats ... may the baby bring blessings to your family

Β£900 light bill for 2months is ridiculous.. that's crazyyyyyyy **in egungun's voice**

I fully understand their point about getting a job (permanent) first but hmmmm.. who is the student? or what kind of visa? are they applying for permanent jobs?

How long can these bills be managed like this? and they're not contributing..

Also, I think you have to choose between they moving out soon Or your Β£10k being a loan that might not be paid back for a whileeeeeeeeeee

my ancestor, Lexus can give advise.. he is the best to deal with these family related issues in uk post migration

ToshoTosin:
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:51am On Feb 20
missjekyll:

This advice is general : DO NOT lend anybody money to come over. Give what you can spare and tell them you haven't got any money.
People have stopped talking to me over this policy but hey-ho

As to

Hehe.. all this advice sef

Most folks who came in last year via the care route was via the support of their family here. I've come across families who are long and well established in the West. Ask how, and it was almost always by lifting themselves.

In the end, there are no hard and fast rules to life. I hardly lend folks money but on certain things, I make exceptions. For many, helping a sibling come over and get established would ultimately mean more to them than thousands stashed away and being the only one giving freebies. Ultimately, it's for each to know their root and what they can forgo as sad stories also exist.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 10:01am On Feb 20
GIVE . Dont lend.
Thats the point I was making.
jedisco:

Hehe.. all this advice sef

Most folks who came in last year via the care route was via the support of their family here. I've come across families who are long and well established in the West. Ask how, and it was almost always by lifting themselves.

In the end, there are no hard and fast rules to life. I hardly lend folks money but on certain things, I make exceptions. For many, helping a sibling come over and get established would ultimately mean more to them than thousands stashed away and being the only one giving freebies. Ultimately, it's for each to know their root and what they can forgo as sad stories also exist.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 10:01am On Feb 20
as per you should carry excess luggage or what? lol

nawa ooo

directonpc:

You seem like a very nice person.
My wife was staying with a family the time she arrived in September. I paid this family 350 GBP every month for a room that's the size of a passage and no heating.

One time I visited the UK in November for a work trip, as I was about to leave, the family asked me if I could help them take some items back to Nigeria and I offered that I have some free space in my box and can carry the amount of their stuff that can fit in. Na so the husband start dey insult me. After I left (on a Tuesday), he evicted my wife on Friday same week.

Funny thing is my wife still laughs with these people. She's probably as nice as you OP.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) ... (545) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: jedisco(m), eluquenson(m), deept(m), OmichaelO and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.