Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (513) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (461119 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AntiMCU: 8:05pm On Apr 06
Zahra29:

No, you won't be held to the £38,700 threshold on extension if you apply before 4th April

Hi Zahra,

Can you please explain the below image?

It was my initial thinking that the new rules don't apply to applications made before April 4th. This was also confirmed in the case worker file for the Home Office in below links.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/660577c791a320001182b1f6/Skilled+worker.pdf

However, I have been seeing something about "transitionary rules" which reads below:

"The Home Office has announced transitional salaries which will apply to individuals who already hold a Skilled Worker visa and apply to extend their permission or to change employers in the UK. For these individuals, the minimum salary threshold will be the higher of £29,000 (up from £26,200) or the going rate for the type of role, which will be based on the 25th percentile of the 2023 ASHE data. In most cases, this amounts to a 10-20% increase to the minimum salary threshold. These transitional provisions will apply for applications made by individuals granted their Skilled Worker visa before 4 April 2024, and who are applying before 4 April 2030.

The table below shows examples of the changes in minimum salary thresholds in the various scenarios, all based on a 37.5 hour working week."

Obviously, I fall under the italicized as I applied before the deadline and application is under progress.

So as it seems, it's not as simple as we being assessed under the old rules, there are set of rules which we fall under?

The whole thing seems confusing to be honest.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 8:52pm On Apr 06
taalas:
@Reesheeuknack..I just got a work visa, how, can I generate a share code without BRP and while still outside the UK..my HR asked of it.I plan to enter the UK next week

You can definitely generate share code without BRP

Guess you have ukvi account opened when applying for the visa.

Google (Prove your right to work to an employer)

You will have three options (Tell us about your immigration status

I have a UK Visas and Immigration account

I have status under the EU Settlement Scheme

I have a biometric residence card or permit)

Choose the first option, this will prompt you to enter the login details for your ukvi account, you will then be able to generate your share code without BRP.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Samguine: 9:01pm On Apr 06
directonpc:

I've found 2 way ticket for ryanair totally 49 USD from east midland airport o. And the Airport is closer to me than Manchester and London.

Lucky you. smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:12pm On Apr 06
toughest007:

Thanks Zahra.

Yes, I have the clause already covered.

That being the case, the only cost implication would then be for the visa transfer application for just me, the main applicant. My dependents don't need to apply.

Thanks

Correct, your dependants can apply at any point before their visas expire so it sounds like the only immediate costs are the application fees for your visa update👍
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:29pm On Apr 06
AntiMCU:

Hi Zahra,

Can you please explain the below image?

It was my initial thinking that the new rules don't apply to applications made before April 4th. This was also confirmed in the case worker file for the Home Office in below links.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/660577c791a320001182b1f6/Skilled+worker.pdf

However, I have been seeing something about "transitionary rules" which reads below:

"The Home Office has announced transitional salaries which will apply to individuals who already hold a Skilled Worker visa and apply to extend their permission or to change employers in the UK. For these individuals, the minimum salary threshold will be the higher of £29,000 (up from £26,200) or the going rate for the type of role, which will be based on the 25th percentile of the 2023 ASHE data. In most cases, this amounts to a 10-20% increase to the minimum salary threshold. These transitional provisions will apply for applications made by individuals granted their Skilled Worker visa before 4 April 2024, and who are applying before 4 April 2030.

The table below shows examples of the changes in minimum salary thresholds in the various scenarios, all based on a 37.5 hour working week."

Obviously, I fall under the italicized as I applied before the deadline and application is under progress.

So as it seems, it's not as simple as we being assessed under the old rules, there are set of rules which we fall under?

The whole thing seems confusing to be honest.

The bolded is correct. As you got your COS before April 04, you will not be subject to the new salary thresholds when you extend, change employer etc

You will only need to meet the former skilled worker threshold (which was 26,200 but has been adjusted for inflation to 29,000) or the going rate for your occupation(based on the 25th percentile instead of the new higher 50th percentile)- whichever is higher.

Basically the salary threshold you have to meet when you want to extend or settle, will be a lot lower than the new thresholds. However this exemption will only apply during the transition/grace period and this is due to end on April 4, 2030. You would need to have applied for settlement by this date (which should be fine as it's more than the 5 years required for ILR)

Any applications to extend, switch or settle after April 4, 2030 will come under the new rules that were implemented on April 4, 2024 - even if the skilled worker visa was obtained before April 4, 2024.

Hope this makes sense

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 9:24am On Apr 07
toughest007:

You don't need a magic wand! Alex Otti didn't need one...
What has he even done apart from roads? I remember his predecessor did the same too when he assumed office before he fizzled out. There are governors in Nigeria today that have done much more quietly.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NezzyMike: 9:34am On Apr 07
dustydee:

What has he even done apart from roads? I remember his predecessor did the same too when he assumed office before he fizzled out. There are governors in Nigeria today that have done much more quietly.

So building roads and paying worker's salary shouldn't be commendable? Na wa for you oo, abeg leave Otti for us, bad roads dealt with my car.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AntiMCU: 11:07am On Apr 07
Zahra29:

The bolded is correct. As you got your COS before April 04, you will not be subject to the new salary thresholds when you extend, change employer etc

You will only need to meet the former skilled worker threshold (which was 26,200 but has been adjusted for inflation to 29,000) or the going rate for your occupation(based on the 25th percentile instead of the new higher 50th percentile)- whichever is higher.

Basically the salary threshold you have to meet when you want to extend or settle, will be a lot lower than the new thresholds. However this exemption will only apply during the transition/grace period and this is due to end on April 4, 2030. You would need to have applied for settlement by this date (which should be fine as it's more than the 5 years required for ILR)

Any applications to extend, switch or settle after April 4, 2030 will come under the new rules that were implemented on April 4, 2024 - even if the skilled worker visa was obtained before April 4, 2024.

Hope this makes sense

Hi Zahra,

Well understood and succinctly explained except at the bold.

Can you please point me to a link containing this 25 percentile of the ASHE data.

Apologies for the much questions, as my application is under progress I need to know how it affects me so I can plan accordingly.

Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:29am On Apr 07
AntiMCU:

Hi Zahra,

Well understood and succinctly explained except at the bold.

Can you please point me to a link containing this 25 percentile of the ASHE data.

Apologies for the much questions, as my application is under progress I need to know how it affects me so I can plan accordingly.

Thank you.

You can try this link: https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/datasets/regionbyoccupation2digitsocashetable3

What's your occupation? I can help look up your 25th percentile threshold if it helps, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about because the 25th percentile earnings are much lower than the 50th percentile threshold that's just been implemented.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 11:31am On Apr 07
🤣
ReesheesuKnack:

Tell your brother to create a Nairaland account, and do a DIY - rather than rely on a 3rd or 4th hand information
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:36am On Apr 07
NezzyMike:

So building roads and paying worker's salary shouldn't be commendable? Na wa for you oo, abeg leave Otti for us, bad roads dealt with my car.

The bolded is applauding mediocrity. Do you praise your UK employer for paying your salary at the end of the week/month, so why is it commendable in Nigeria? They should also be paid on time and in full, it's their right if they've done the work, and not a privilege.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 11:48am On Apr 07
Zahra29:

The bolded is applauding mediocrity. Do you praise your UK employer for paying your salary at the end of the week/month, so why is it commendable in Nigeria? They should also be paid on time and in full, it's their right if they've done the work, and not a privilege.

I wouldn't blame the poster you mentioned to be honest.

He is just commenting from the mind of a typical Nigerian who sees hardships and suffering as the norm so when a leader does the basics of his job like paying salaries and building roads, it then becomes a big deal and is heaped with praise upon praise.

A lot of Nigerians are like this to be honest.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:56am On Apr 07
Raalsalghul:

He is just commenting from the mind of a typical Nigerian who sees hardships and suffering as the norm so when a leader does the basics of his job like paying salaries and building roads, it then becomes a big deal and is heaped with praise upon praise.

That makes sense but the issue is a lot of Nigerians have this same mentality like they're doing you a favour by giving you your money. Paying back money you've borrowed or paying your driver, house helps, sales assistants, restaurant workers, teachers etc isn't optional - it needs to be normalised that it's the recipients' right and you shouldn't even need to be thanked or praised for it.

If this was the standard,the people would be able to demand more from their leaders.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 11:59am On Apr 07
Raalsalghul:

Another way to approach this is to do a comparative analysis of all states in terms of salary payments. Very few states pay salaries and succssfully embark on projects at the same time. Truly, these amenities should be basic, but a one-eyed man is indeed a king among the blind.

Give it to Seyi Makinde, give it to Otti and the likes. It's easier to be poor as a governor than to be good, in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by NezzyMike: 12:21pm On Apr 07
Zahra29:

Is UK Nigeria? Is Alex Otti the ex-governor? Abeg rest!!! Even if he doesn't clear off the salary being owed, nobody will query. Stop the negativity.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:35pm On Apr 07
[quote author=NezzyMike post=129311099][/quote]

Lol, tbh I don't know who Alex Otti is so it's not personal to him. I'm just pointing out that paying workers' salary is basic requirements and isn't what leaders should be commended on.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 1:01pm On Apr 07
Zahra29:

Just google how many states are owing salaries and pensions or how much Alex Otti’s predecessor was owing, then you’ll understand the context and know it’s a BIG DEAL. This is Naija where you can rig elections and getaway with it, nothing like voters will remove you from office. Impunity everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 2:16pm On Apr 07
Zahra29:

Correct, your dependants can apply at any point before their visas expire so it sounds like the only immediate costs are the application fees for your visa update👍

Thanks Zahra.

Could you clarify what application you are referring to?

From gov.uk, they don't need to apply for visa transfer, but rather, an update would be made to their visas to reflect my new employer/cos etc. Thereafter, fresh application would be made when our BRPs expire. Correct me if I'm wrong with this assertion.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 2:28pm On Apr 07
dustydee:

Whatever tickles your pickle, man...

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 2:58pm On Apr 07
Schoolhike:
Please anyone have experience of updating updating visa by changing jobs or role on a sponsored role with the same employer. Currently sponsored on EO got HEO and saw on gov website that a new application will still be made with new IHS, is it possible to get refund for the previously paid Ihs when the current sponsorship is still less than 2 months.

@Zahra do you have insight into this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 2:59pm On Apr 07
Zahra29:

Most states, if not all, are owing salaries, pension and lack of provision of basic amenities which have been budgeted for over the years!
So, I believe the fellow is only pointing out the obvious good will of Alex Otti to the people, compared to others that have blatantly refused to clear these monies, but rather embezzling them.

Same Alex Otti is revoking the outrageous and fraudulent pension scheme for governors and their deputies, pioneered by the great BULABA. So, he is doing what is expected of a governor and should be recongnized.

His doings are not the regular doings of a typical corrupt Nigerian governor/politician, which is why the fellow used the word 'commedable' for doing what others have failed/refused to do grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Abiodunnn(f): 3:00pm On Apr 07
Hello all,
Please who knows how I can convert my Boots gift card to cash

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 3:20pm On Apr 07
toughest007:

Thanks Zahra.

Yes, I have the clause already covered.

That being the case, the only cost implication would then be for the visa transfer application for just me, the main applicant. My dependents don't need to apply.

Thanks

@ toughest007, do you mean when updating visa (change of job or moving to new/current employer) you only get to pay visa fee or IHS will be included?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 3:33pm On Apr 07
Schoolhike:

@ toughest007, do you mean when updating visa (change of job or moving to new/current employer) you only get to pay visa fee or IHS will be included?

Visa transfer to a new employer.

Thanks Schoolhike.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:56pm On Apr 07
Schoolhike:

@Zahra do you have insight into this?

It sounds like you're staying with the same employer?

If you’ll be doing a different job for your current employer, you only need to apply to update your visa if your new job is in a different occupation code.

Edit: what is your current occupation code? I believe the new occupation code for HEO is 3560
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:09pm On Apr 07
toughest007:

Thanks Zahra.

Could you clarify what application you are referring to?

From gov.uk, they don't need to apply for visa transfer, but rather, an update would be made to their visas to reflect my new employer/cos etc. Thereafter, fresh application would be made when our BRPs expire. Correct me if I'm wrong with this assertion.

Correct; the dependants visas are linked to the holder of the tier 2 / skilled worker visa, not the employer/ sponsor. Change of employer does not impact the dependent visa, therefore they could wait until their current visa is close to expiry and reapply for another dependent visa / extension based on your new role.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:22pm On Apr 07
toughest007:

Most states, if not all, are owing salaries, pension and lack of provision of basic amenities which have been budgeted for over the years!
So, I believe the fellow is only pointing out the obvious good will of Alex Otti to the people, compared to others that have blatantly refused to clear these monies, but rather embezzling them.

Same Alex Otti is revoking the outrageous and fraudulent pension scheme for governors and their deputies, pioneered by the great BULABA. So, he is doing what is expected of a governor and should be recongnized.

His doings are not the regular doings of a typical corrupt Nigerian governor/politician, which is why the fellow used the word 'commedable' for doing what others have failed/refused to do grin

Fair enough, within this context it does sound commendable that he's trying to do the right things unlike his predecessors and colleagues.

It's just a shame that he's the exception when this should be standard.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 4:33pm On Apr 07
Zahra29:

Correct; the dependants visas are linked to the holder of the tier 2 / skilled worker visa, not the employer/ sponsor. Change of employer does not impact the dependent visa, therefore they could wait until their current visa is close to expiry and reapply for another dependent visa / extension based on your new role.

Thanks Zahra!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:47pm On Apr 07
dustydee:

Show proof of those governors doing better?

Give praise to whoever deserve it and stop being bitter.

#Tellyourselfthetruth
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 7:41pm On Apr 07
Zahra29:

It sounds like you're staying with the same employer?

If you’ll be doing a different job for your current employer, you only need to apply to update your visa if your new job is in a different occupation code.

Edit: what is your current occupation code? I believe the new occupation code for HEO is 3560

Current code is 4111, yes changing to 3560 (same employer)

Although there are two scenarios involved.

1st is changing job (occupation code) with the same employer

2nd is changing employer entirely.

Will the two scenarios above involve paying for new IHS fee, and if so, will the previous IHS be refunded back (only used less than 2 months )
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 7:43pm On Apr 07
toughest007:

Visa transfer to a new employer.

Thanks Schoolhike.

So, you will be paying new IHS fee together with the application?

(1) (2) (3) ... (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.