Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,648 members, 7,813,183 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (514) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (461350 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) ... (532) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 8:24pm On Apr 07
Which is the best format to use when applying for jobs?

pdf or word?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 8:43pm On Apr 07
Schoolhike:

So, you will be paying new IHS fee together with the application?

Yes.

Paying another ihs fee for a period (3yrs) that have previously been paid in full makes no sense at all.

Zahra29 is there a way to recover this money? Cos paying double ihs fees ain't funny.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 8:50pm On Apr 07
2024/2025 Tax Year Allowances

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 9:15pm On Apr 07
Pdf IMO
lavida001:

pdf or word?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:23pm On Apr 07
wonlasewonimi:

Errm your TV

Na to put cartoon then remove battery from remote. Hope say them no dey carry battery follow body.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:30pm On Apr 07
Viruses:

Na to put cartoon then remove battery from remote. Hope say them no dey carry battery follow body.

Have you heard of this product...........

All in one universal remote.......😜😁

NB : The only solution..... Don't open your door or buy a license ....😁

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:35pm On Apr 07
Dlandisgreen:
I need your advise my people. I currently get UC and CB due to my visa status (exempt) but now I have moved to tier 2. I was initially afraid my visa would be denied when I applied to change to T2 as I declared on my application that I accessed benefits. But alas, it was successful. Now that I am on T2 I do not know if I can continue to get the UC and CB or I should tell them to stop it. I am four years to ILR. My UK mum told me not to cancel it that they can not deny me of ILR solely because I accessed benefits. She said I could inform them that I would be paying it back in bits during my ILR application. My people I am now at a cross-road on what to do. Will accessing UC affect my ILR application even when my child would have registered as a British by then? Thanks!

I like to do the right things and that is what I will base my advise on. Although, humans generally obey laws when there are consequences, I will advice you not to access the UC, not because it will or will not affect ILR application, but simply because it is against the law and it is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:40pm On Apr 07
Lexusgs430:

What would you rather do........ Treat them the same way federal government is treating boko haram, bandits & unknown gunmen..........

It's a very difficult situation, hamas should start by handing over all those they kidnapped......

We need Egypt to lead the mediation team

As I predicted almost a month ago ..... Egypt is leading this mediation......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 10:10pm On Apr 07
toughest007:

Yes.

Paying another ihs fee for a period (3yrs) that have previously been paid in full makes no sense at all.

Zahra29 is there a way to recover this money? Cos paying double ihs fees ain't funny.

Just got information from a friend that, it will be considered as overlapping IHS which is refundable.
Said he got the info from home office.

Reason for my previous question as well.

Also, to add peope working in the Admin role in health related sector are also eligible for IHS refund every six month. Wasn’t aware of this before.

Say for instance working as a data engineer in nhs or public health, admin in care home etc, can apply for IHS refund together with dependant.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 10:25pm On Apr 07
Depends on the recruiter or recruitment instructions ...both formats are acceptable. ATS used by many big firm works best using Word document format. All the best.

lavida001:

pdf or word?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:25pm On Apr 07
toughest007:

You don't need a magic wand! Alex Otti didn't need one...

What has he done?

Because of the level of mediocrity in Nigeria, once Govt tar road and commission private project, we celebrate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:49pm On Apr 07
Lexusgs430:

Have you heard of this product...........

All in one universal remote.......😜😁

NB : The only solution..... Don't open your door ....😁

What if they then go to court to seek warrant? Is that rare?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:52pm On Apr 07
Viruses:

What if they then go to court to seek warrant? Is that rare?

Once they have the details of the occupier(provided by the occupier historically).......

They would get a warrant ........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:56pm On Apr 07
Viruses:

What has he done?

Because of the level of mediocrity in Nigeria, once Govt tar road and commission private project, we celebrate.

Whatever tickles your pickle, mate...
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:58pm On Apr 07
Schoolhike:

Just got information from a friend that, it will be considered as overlapping IHS which is refundable.
Said he got the info from home office.

Reason for my previous question as well.

Also, to add peope working in the Admin role in health related sector are also eligible for IHS refund every six month. Wasn’t aware of this before.

Say for instance working as a data engineer in nhs or public health, admin in care home etc, can apply for IHS refund together with dependant.

Thanks for the update.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by taalas: 8:55am On Apr 08
@everyone, Pls I just got my skilled worker visa and have paid for Airbnb for 1 week in belfast, Northern Ireland because I need to a base to operate and collect my brp at the post office there.

Pls do you know how to get a cheap house/room(shared flat) to rent in Lisburn area Northern Ireland, my work place.

My employer said I must have a permanent address to start my role with them and this must be done within 28days of my approved sponsored start date.

I plan to be in the country this thursday 11th April to obtain my brp and generate my share code .

The whole thing is quite overwhelming and have started stressing me out
missjekyll:

Yes. Up to a certain weight. Look on their website.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 9:08am On Apr 08
i will answer to this....

1. Abia State is one of the dirtiest (if not the dirtiest state) in terms of environmental sanitation and refuse management..

He has been clearing the refuse and transforming the roads....

It used to be a mess especially during rainy season..

2. Pensions payment... cleared almost 10years pension arrears and he hasn't even done 1year himself..... and said pensions will not be owed in his administration..

3. No salary arrears or delays.. (this is a major achievement as silly as it looks. yes it looks silly)

4. Approved the law stripping former governors and deputy governors of Abia from receiving pensions and all sorts of payments when they couldnt pay pensions.. which has further put the people in poverty..

If you need more info on the kind of money paid to these ex govs and deputies for life:

https://dailypost.ng/2020/11/10/lagos-breakdown-of-ex-governors-pension-as-signed-by-tinubu/

Abia State with terrible governors term after term.. they've had no real leadership

It is a BIG DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dustydee:

What has he even done apart from roads? I remember his predecessor did the same too when he assumed office before he fizzled out. There are governors in Nigeria today that have done much more quietly.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:21am On Apr 08
profemebee:

1. Abia State is one of the dirtiest (if not the dirtiest state) in terms of environmental sanitation and refuse management..

2. Pensions payment... cleared almost 10years pension arrears and he hasn't even done 1year himself..... and said pensions will not be owed in his administration..

3. No salary arrears or delays.. (this is a major achievement as silly as it looks. yes it looks silly)

4. Approved the law stripping former governors and deputy governors of Abia from receiving pensions and all sorts of payments when they couldnt pay pensions.. which has further put the people in poverty..

If you need more info on the kind of money paid to these ex govs and deputies for life:

https://dailypost.ng/2020/11/10/lagos-breakdown-of-ex-governors-pension-as-signed-by-tinubu/

Abia State with terrible governors term after term.. they've had no real leadership

This one sweet my belle pass....... Would have been sweeter, if they are also made to refund all previous payments...........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 9:25am On Apr 08
looooooooooool.. that's extra sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet but impossible
Lexusgs430:

This one sweet my belle pass....... Would have been sweeter, if they are also made to refund all previous payments...........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ejid1: 9:44am On Apr 08
Hello
Please is it normal for birth certificate to be asked for while filling the form for Nigerian passport renewal in the UK? Cos i find it odd that someone above the age of 18 is been asked their birth certificate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AntiMCU: 11:45am On Apr 08
Zahra29:

You can try this link: https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/datasets/regionbyoccupation2digitsocashetable3

What's your occupation? I can help look up your 25th percentile threshold if it helps, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about because the 25th percentile earnings are much lower than the 50th percentile threshold that's just been implemented.

Hi Zahra,

Occupation is Prison Officer with SOC code 3314.

Your response is much appreciated.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 11:53am On Apr 08
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by woffie: 12:19pm On Apr 08
Seyi Makinde and Zulum are big deals,still doing great in their second term cause most governors in nija do perform well during first term and perform below average during second term

[/quote]
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lefty500: 12:20pm On Apr 08
Congratulations.

Search propertypaldotcom, search for house is BELFAST or Lisburn, if your workplace is in Lisburn, you can look for apartment in and around BT8 to BT9. House is really tough to get in Belfast and tougher if you don't have a guarantor. If you can pay 6 months rent upfront, some agents might consider you.

You can also check Gumtree, zoopla and rentola.

You will need a permanent place to setup a bank account, so ask your employer to give you some time to sort accommodation, because you need to attend viewing if you show any interest in any apartment.

Also try to rapport with house agents if you go for viewings, let them know your predicament, and if possible they can hook you up with private landlords.

All the best.

taalas:
@everyone, Pls I just got my skilled worker visa and have paid for Airbnb for 1 week in belfast, Northern Ireland because I need to a base to operate and collect my brp at the post office there.

Pls do you know how to get a cheap house/room(shared flat) to rent in Lisburn area Northern Ireland, my work place.

My employer said I must have a permanent address to start my role with them and this must be done within 28days of my approved sponsored start date.

I plan to be in the country this thursday 11th April to obtain my brp and generate my share code .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 1:29pm On Apr 08
ReesheesuKnack:

From my experience, your HR is being unreasonable (if indeed they are asking for a Right to Work Share code at this stage).

You mean the company interviewed you, you met all their requirements , they issued you Certificate of Sponsorship. You used the CoS to apply for, and got a valid visa. The HR of that same company is asking you for a share code to prove your right to work, even when you’ve not yet resumed work (for them)

This is a strange one to me.

To attempt answering your question:
Write back to the HR, with a copy of the Visa vignette stamped in your passport (if it hasn’t changed recently , the employer code will be clearly visible on the vignette). Tell the HR that the process is:
Visa issued-UK entry-BRP collection-Share code generation.
Simply put: you can’t (successfully) generate a RTW share code without a BRP.

PS: I am a bit of a dinosaur so things may have changed.

The HR is right.

Even if they sponsored him/her the HR still need to get his sharecode, do a video call with him/her to confirm his identity and download a copy of the search and save it to his/her profile before his/her employment start date. This is a mandatory requirement needed for compliance.

I think the problem is that the OP might have failed to communicate his situation to the HR and either reschedule the date to submit the sharecode or move his resumption date. Unfortunately, Visa vignette and even BRB will not be accepted as the employer need to evidence that they have conducted a right to work check.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Icesnow(f): 4:39pm On Apr 08
toughest007:

Thanks Zahra.

Could you clarify what application you are referring to?

From gov.uk, they don't need to apply for visa transfer, but rather, an update would be made to their visas to reflect my new employer/cos etc. Thereafter, fresh application would be made when our BRPs expire. Correct me if I'm wrong with this assertion.
Who does the update and how it is done pls?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dustydee: 6:06pm On Apr 08
profemebee:

Thanks for your answer. You are the first person to give me a reasonable answer, most of the others most likely were just following the social media hype. Indeed Alex Otti should be commended, especially on the repeal of the ex -governor's pension act.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 7:12pm On Apr 08
taalas:

I would email them to say you ve got no money for rent and that you will start looking as soon as you get paid your first salary. Say that you are in a bed and breakfast for now

That 28 days is unreasonable. Somebody is obviously not thinking in that office.

Edit: forgot you needed an address to open an account. My employer then had a house specially to be used to open accounts. I wonder how other people solved this issue? 🤔
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 8:26pm On Apr 08
Icesnow:
Who does the update and how it is done pls?

Home office
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:56pm On Apr 08
AntiMCU:

Hi Zahra,

Occupation is Prison Officer with SOC code 3314.

Your response is much appreciated.

According to the government's latest guidance on the going rates for occupation codes, the lower going rate (which applies to you as you got your CoS before April 4) for code 3314 is £35,000 (£17.95ph) while the standard going rate (which applies to applications on/after April 4) is £30,960 (£15.88 per hour)

This is very odd because the lower rate is supposed to be, well, lower than the standard rate and this is the case for all other occupation codes apart from 3314. So I wonder if it's an error and they've somehow mixed up the 2 numbers and the lower going rate should actually be £30,960...

I'm referring to this link : https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/skilled-worker-visa-going-rates-for-eligible-occupations/skilled-worker-visa-going-rates-for-eligible-occupation-codes
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AntiMCU: 9:42pm On Apr 08
Hi Zahra29,

I saw your mention but it seems antispambot has blocked your post.

You can mail the supermods on the Frontpage (by scrolling to the bottom) to reinstate the post.

Another option is to upload a picture of your comment.

Hope this helps and awaiting your reply.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by muami(m): 12:32am On Apr 09
Search houses/room for rent in propertynews.com or propertypal.com.

You can select "Lisburn" to limit the search to Lisburn. Alternatively, search with Lisburn postcodes - BT27 or BT28. You can also stay in Finaghy - BT10 or Lisburn or Malone Road - BT 9 but these areas are more expensive.

taalas:

(1) (2) (3) ... (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) (517) ... (532) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Tochex101(m), ismailtaiwo2000 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.