Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,266 members, 7,818,922 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (471615 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 12:30pm On May 21, 2023
hayesconcept:
. UK no be naija and It's not a must for you to drive.

This is another message that needs to be passed to new migrants.

Many people will get their hands burnt in this early quest to drive in the UK.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 12:39pm On May 21, 2023
BouharryArtikou:

Calm. Down.
Why do you badly need a credit card?
Scroll through the thread. You will see links of comparison sites that allow you to enter your details and check your eligibility. These sites can actually show you the cards that you have been pre-approved for. Apply for one of those pre-approved ones. Then begin the journey. Small small.
For now, you may want to ignore people dropping their referral links (I mean, ignore the referral links, not the people). Trust me, those referral links are for their own interests, not yours (in the first instance).

Thanks bro for the suggestion, I may check out those suggested ones. Though far from being desperate actually, I only wanted to know.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 12:44pm On May 21, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Don't conflict things....... Credit score is different from credit report........

My credit report could be 660, and AMEX approves my application. But rejects your credit score of 872 .......

Be patient...... You no wan rush lick hot soup ......😂😜

Thanks Boss for the advice, I will take things slow and steady.

At your last line - what is I like my soup hot hot grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Emmy2023: 12:47pm On May 21, 2023
LagosismyHome:

You didn't make any mistake ..... Tier 2 allows you to work and be paid immediately. Its just that currently the situation on ground has been abused and has several issues.

I know one or two carer who worked and were paid for day 1 and were paid by end of month so this fault is your employer because on Facebook you see some going for months with no shifts of stories here and there from employer

I know someone 5 months now... only 2 hours a week shift ...that can'teven cover food not to talk of rent . So even with best planning . How can someone have planned for that
Thanks bro
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:06pm On May 21, 2023
BouharryArtikou:

Do not allow some very sanctimonious humans on this thread to gaslight you.
You did nothing wrong. You did not make any mistake. You trusted the process. You believed that the anyhowness in Nigeria remains in Nigeria. Never in your wildest imagination did you think that in the UK, an employer will delay your pay for over a month, for any reason.

It’s the company that sponsored you that is the problem, not you.

It was not a mistake. Maybe a learning curve, but definitely not a mistake. There are bullies everywhere, even on this thread. They may want to gaslight & bully you, using different kinds of words and sometimes outrightly disparaging statements and phrases. Give them no heed.
I think the problem here is a lot of people lack empathy, granted there’s some lesson to be learnt from this but knocking someone when they are already down and still making a case for their comment is beyond me. If the person brought only one month’s rent, shouldn’t it be obvious that that’s the only money the person has. My wife’s friend told her that her Nigerian classmate committed suicide recently in this same UK. Only God knows the struggle this guy must have been going through and the things that he heard.

On this Nairaland, the need to always be right dey off me, a lot of people have some self reflection to do because nobody knows it all .

Anyway, OP should just take an aggressive approach in his search, and walk into care homes and tell them he is looking for work and ask if they are hiring. May God see him through these difficult times. I go drop small prayer for am today.

17 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:06pm On May 21, 2023
Phil46:

Be prepared for a charred tongue.... 👅👅👅👅👅

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 1:14pm On May 21, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Be prepared for a charred tongue.... 👅👅👅👅👅

My tongue is made of iron, so no shaking haha shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:17pm On May 21, 2023
Why would you want to put in your Nigerian address? Don't you have an address here in the UK?

Phil46:
@ bigtt76 & Solumtoya,
Please guys, with Experian score of 872 will I be approved for Amex? I tried to check my eligibility on Amex site but it didn't allow me input my Nigerian address. I have been here for 5 months. On the electoral register already but no DD for any expenses yet.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 1:19pm On May 21, 2023
bigtt76:
Why would you want to put in your Nigerian address? Don't you have an address here in the UK?

Amex eligibility checker required additional address for being in the UK for less than 3 years.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by EJIOGBENIMI(m): 1:20pm On May 21, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

Odikwa Risky.

Take sometime off driving and master the roads as it seems you clearly don’t understand it.

I’m an advocate of, try to pass the theory test at least before you start driving with your international license. Even you will enjoy your driving with the knowledge that you would have gained.

You should get a Notice of Intended Prosecution with 14days.

You might be lucky and not get any if those cameras didn’t catch you.

Chai.
embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:21pm On May 21, 2023
Bolded is wrong dear ...AMEX gives referred persons 8000 avios bonus and the referrer 4000 avios. You accumulate these avios through referrals or purchases made with the card and you can use same to make purchases for free or at a reduced price so its a win-win for all. No one is saying when you registered with our referral link you get awarded Heaven and Earth or are we forcing anyone to get a CC without them asking or needing one

BouharryArtikou:

Calm. Down.
Why do you badly need a credit card?
Scroll through the thread. You will see links of comparison sites that allow you to enter your details and check your eligibility. These sites can actually show you the cards that you have been pre-approved for. Apply for one of those pre-approved ones. Then begin the journey. Small small.
For now, you may want to ignore people dropping their referral links (I mean, ignore the referral links, not the people). Trust me, those referral links are for their own interests, not yours (in the first instance).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:23pm On May 21, 2023
List your address twice if you have no other one in the UK or if it gives you an option to list an address outside UK, then put in your Nigeria address.

Phil46:

Amex eligibility checker required additional address for being in the UK for less than 3 years.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:24pm On May 21, 2023
Over indulgence in credits you can't afford to pay back cheesy

Phil46:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 1:24pm On May 21, 2023
bigtt76:
List your address twice if you have no other one in the UK or if it gives you an option to list an address outside UK, then put in your Nigeria address.

Okay, thanks Bro.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 1:32pm On May 21, 2023
bigtt76:
Over indulgence in credits you can't afford to pay back cheesy

Haha that's village people pro max grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Drey1: 1:40pm On May 21, 2023
iyatrustee:

If you be driver and u get car, it's easier to get a carework now o. grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:54pm On May 21, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

If the employer in this case is one of the big 4 or NHS or infact a proper organisation with structure, I’m sure the Op won’t be in this situation.

We are talking about a Skilled worker visa here and not student visa.

Bullies everywhere 🤦‍♂️

What you call bullying might simply be straight talking that might help other people reading this forum who are planning to come to the UK via the same care visa. Perhaps reading this thread they might realise that many care agencies /homes are taking the proverbial and that having a visa sadly doesn't mean they will be given work/get paid. Many don't even realise that they are not allowed to take on unlimited additional work/hours.
Information/knowledge and preparation is key( what's that saying, to be forewarned is to be forearmed) - someone reading this might be prompted to look for some "just-in-case" contingency funds or other back up plan, so don't despise the message because it sounded harsh - it might be the medicine to avoid death for someone.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:13pm On May 21, 2023
Zahra29:

What you call bullying might simply be straight talking that might help other people reading this forum who are planning to come to the UK via the same care visa. Perhaps reading this thread they might realise that many care agencies /homes are taking the proverbial and that having a visa sadly doesn't mean they will be given work/get paid. Many don't even realise that they are not allowed to take on unlimited additional work/hours.
Information/knowledge and preparation is key( what's that saying, to be forewarned is to be forearmed) - someone reading this might be prompted to look for some "just-in-case" contingency funds or other back up plan, so don't despise the message because it sounded harsh - it might be the medicine to avoid death for someone.
But someone sharing their experience and asking for advice is enough lessons learned for others. I don’t see the need to point at their so called mistake or even scold them so others would learn. One can offer advice and at the end point to people to perhaps plan better but the truth is, people can only plan with what they have at their disposal.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 2:21pm On May 21, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

But someone sharing their experience and asking for advice is enough lessons learned for others. I don’t see the need to point at their so called mistake or even scold them so others would learn. One can offer advice and at the end point to people to perhaps plan better but the truth is, people can only plan with what they have at their disposal.

Apart from jumping on one line of my post to write pages tell me a single advice you and the rest of bullying crew has offered.

The op did not accused me of bullying him but some how some of you jumped in to start shouting bullying right left and centre .

What exactly do you call bullying? An alternative opinion?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 2:23pm On May 21, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
This story get as e be. Her colleague suspected that she was not sick and reported her. Them come dey even snoop around her LinkedIn page. E sure me die say na Oyinbo colleagues. Suspending her license for dishonesty sounds like an overkill to me.

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/CD137015/Dishonest-pharmacist-suspended-for-working-two-jobs-at-the-same-time#:~:text=A%20pharmacist%20has%20been%20suspended,simultaneously%2C%20the%20regulator%20has%20revealed.&text=Chioma%20Cynthia%20Uzoma%2C%20registration%20number,(May%202%2D3).

Office colleague and Aproko are 5&6... know this and know peace. What you don't want out there should stay completely away from social media . Somebody said stomach is paining her, instead of been empathic it was FBI that one went to do . ..

My LinkedIn is like 2 jobs behind and not updated . I am even on my madien name on LinkedIn because as soon as I join a project I always see people in that business keep checking my LinkedIn so I changed it to my madien name so you can't find me easily

That putting it on her profile ,both of them was a no no.If I was doing two jobs both jobs self won't be on my LinkedIn. There is even no need for LinkedIn to have all my life information .

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 2:24pm On May 21, 2023
Zahra29:

Pay zero attention to those shouting bullying, they just want to say something for the sake of it.

If people make a deliberate decision to get worked up because i did not say what they want to hear then good luck to them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 2:30pm On May 21, 2023
Lol ...ideally your utilisation rate shouldn't be more than 20-25% of the limit granted you by the CC company for you to remain in good credit score range.

What this mean is that if you have a CC limit of £2000, spending all would make you look desperate and too dependent on credit facility for survival.

To avoid this, use just 25% of £2000 which is £500 each month and pay back the minimum amount payable.

On your part, to avoid matters that touches, try not to spend all of that 25% if you can't afford to pay back monthly the minimum or in the nearest future the entire balance. Always utilise what you would normally pay out of pocket without strain. So assuming you have £40 for a pair of trainers, instead of paying cash or through your debit card, use your CC and pay the £40 back to the CC. This way you are creating for your self, credit history using your CC for purchases.

What oga Lexusgs430 was trying to tell you about the hot soup is that ...don't go and start balling at the Dorchester or Marriott hotels when you get a CC of £5000 credit limit you can't afford to pay back timely cheesy Na olopa dem go use con carray you. oo cheesy cheesy cheesy

Phil46:

Haha that's village people pro max grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:37pm On May 21, 2023
justwise:

Apart from jumping on one line of my post to write pages tell me a single advice you and the rest of bullying crew has offered.

The op did not accused me of bullying him but some how some of you jumped in to start shouting bullying right left and centre .

What exactly do you call bullying? An alternative opinion?
Guy be like say you need glasses or you dey look for who to pour your frustration on. You see anywhere wey I call anybody bully. Or you no see advise wey I give OP. I no say English hard but move to the right person and commot for my side

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:39pm On May 21, 2023
LagosismyHome:

Office colleague and Aproko are 5&6... know this and know peace. What you don't want out there should stay completely away from social media . Somebody said stomach is paining her, instead of been empathic it was FBI that one went to do . ..

My LinkedIn is like 2 jobs behind and not updated . I am even on my madien name on LinkedIn because as soon as I join a project I always see people in that business keep checking my LinkedIn so I changed it to my madien name so you can't find me easily

That putting it on her profile ,both of them was a no no.If I was doing two jobs both jobs self won't be on my LinkedIn. There is even no need for LinkedIn to have all my life information .
Me sef I noticed that the moment I updated my LinkedIn with this my new job, my new colleagues were just moving around my LinkedIn page. The person wasn’t smart about the whole thing and I hope she has learned from it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 2:44pm On May 21, 2023
Oooh why? Let everyone drive oooo ....you advise now dem go say we be bullies cheesy cheesy cheesy Abeg let everyone try a drive here in the youkay...its good for all kiss

iyatrustee:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:53pm On May 21, 2023
bigtt76:
Oooh why? Let everyone drive oooo ....you advise now dem go say we be bullies cheesy cheesy cheesy Abeg let everyone try a drive here in the youkay...its good for all kiss

The problem with you people is that you lack critical thinking. You’ve turned this to not giving advise because people will call you bullies. I want to believe that as an adult, you know that there’s always two sides to an argument and both parties might be right but the essential message here is to be empathetic when giving advise. May bad employers not happen to anyone of us.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 2:59pm On May 21, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Which uk bank, allows you buy share/stocks, directly?? REVOLUT.....

Which uk bank allows buy cryptos, directly?? REVOLUT......

Which uk bank allows you buy commodities, directly?? REVOLUT.....

Because you cannot claim that free £200...... They are now useless........ 😜😭😂

Oga, I’ll just leave this one here:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 3:00pm On May 21, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Guy be like say you need glasses or you dey look for who to pour your frustration on. You see anywhere wey I call anybody bully. Or you no see advise wey I give OP. I no say English hard but move to the right person and commot for my side

You probably know much about frustration than i do because the whole noise about my post can only be borne out of frustration

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 3:08pm On May 21, 2023
Solumtoya:

Revolut is actually one of the most progressive Banks Technologically.

I stand corrected but it’s not a bank. It’s an e-money service like lemonade, ace, gohenry etc. Money in this type of account are not protected by FSCS. I wouldn’t advise holding large balances in Revolut.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 3:08pm On May 21, 2023
justwise:

You probably know much about frustration than i do because the whole noise about my post can only be borne out of frustration

Lol weak comeback. Na only frustrated person go dey mention wrong person come still think say him dey right. My only advise to you as you be bros on this thread be this: Try dey read to understand and not to only dey read to respond. You don’t know it all even at your big age.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by semmyk(m): 3:24pm On May 21, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 3:27pm On May 21, 2023
kwakudtraveller:
This story get as e be. Her colleague suspected that she was not sick and reported her. Them come dey even snoop around her LinkedIn page. E sure me die say na Oyinbo colleagues. Suspending her license for dishonesty sounds like an overkill to me.

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/CD137015/Dishonest-pharmacist-suspended-for-working-two-jobs-at-the-same-time#:~:text=A%20pharmacist%20has%20been%20suspended,simultaneously%2C%20the%20regulator%20has%20revealed.&text=Chioma%20Cynthia%20Uzoma%2C%20registration%20number,(May%202%2D3).

How can you say this is an overkill? Her intention was to commit fraud which is why she failed to disclose her second job and the fact that the hours were conflicting. She should face the music now that she’s been found out.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (543) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Adayoung(f), Ugochinyere1(f), Lexusgs430, wallg123 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.