Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (471460 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:04pm On May 21, 2023
Emmy2023:

For me there isn’t any excuse to this, the mistake is mine, I made reservations based on what was in my reach. All I asked for was advices and assistance as I’ve already made the mistake. Thanks
When you were travelling, did you withdraw all your money, tied in a sack and threw it away?

Or would you have postponed your flight and deferred your resumption on the assumption that 'your new employer IN UK may owe you salary from day 1'?

Except you were expressly told there may not be work to do, then it is your employer who should be called to order here.

9 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Oggg: 8:21pm On May 21, 2023
triplo3:
And what of Canada that pegs it to whatever is left on your passport? Besides it's clumsy carrying multiple passports (old + new)
nothing clumsy about it. Also the comment was for US visa so I don’t understand wetin dey bring Canada talk here.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:40pm On May 21, 2023
Mroriginal2022:
Madam,

Only if you know how grossly underpaid core professionals are In the uk, you wouldn’t be saying this. A pharmacist with 2 kids who took a side gig for 3 months probably to cushion the effect of the cost of living crisis, if she was paid well enough, she might not have considered it in the first place. She was already suspended , why fire her after suspension and the whole issue seems overflogged.

The side gig is not the problem. It’s the hours conflicting with her full time job and the fact that she did not disclose it to her employer especially if there’s a contractual provision requiring her to disclose such. Let’s not gloss over the issue….what she did was wrong.

I would say it’s greed that has landed her in this position. I’m sorry I have no empathy for this person. Also speaking about cost of living crisis, she is a pharmacist for crying out loud and not a supermarket colleague on minimum wage.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:41pm On May 21, 2023
koonbey:

There's nothing you people cannot justify.

She took a side job that would require her to be regularly at another place for a full day meaning that the place where she works (and her colleagues and possibly patients that depend on her services) would lose a full day of the assistance she could have provided.

Cost of living crisis - is she the only one in the crisis? As a pharmacist she's paid significantly above the average in the UK. So if everyone in her workplace starts disappearing for full days at will, how will her workplace function?

This sort of sob-story mentality that you people use to justify misbehaviour, again, is how many of our institutions have been reduced to rubbish.

Thanks Bros.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by harddrive2012: 8:44pm On May 21, 2023
Thanks bro.

Would just do as you said.

Cheers 🥂

koonbey:

The rep likely doesn't know what they're saying.
I know more than a dozen people who got contracts within the first year and many within the first couple of months sef.

I'd say just go to a store. Things move much more quickly with the reps in store. They'll ask you or your ID and a bak card and everything will be sorted in a jiffy.

If it is indeed their policy, then go to another network. I know Three doesn't have that policy, for one.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 9:05pm On May 21, 2023
What’s this news everywhere about home office stopping MSc student from bringing dependant.

Could this be another Braverman rant ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 9:39pm On May 21, 2023
lavida001:
What’s this news everywhere about home office stopping MSc student from bringing dependant.

She when go soon dey look for employment ..
Lol. Let see how the speeding ticket story rumbles
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 9:40pm On May 21, 2023
lavida001:

This no be rant again oh. Na the latest update. I think it would be announced on Tuesday or so.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 9:41pm On May 21, 2023
LagosismyHome:

They might sack her in the morning and rehire her at night (Tories Voodoo) grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 9:44pm On May 21, 2023
lavida001:

Very true.

It's for real this time.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Stevepop: 10:07pm On May 21, 2023
Hi guys - I'm travelling to Canada (from the UK) for a couple of weeks, please what's the best card/bank to use while abroad. Will appreciate any input.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mroriginal2022: 10:17pm On May 21, 2023
Monzo card remains the best as you would have the option of paying in the local currency CAD with no fee whatsoever. Revolut I used to think was okay but they were charging me a tiny fee for transactions I made outside of my £1000 monthly limit while in the USA as of last week. So I used both my revolut and Monzo cards but going forward, I would be using monzo.
Stevepop:
Hi guys - I'm travelling to Canada (from the UK) for a couple of weeks, please what's the best card/bank to use while abroad. Will appreciate any input.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phil46: 10:23pm On May 21, 2023
bigtt76:
Lol ...ideally your utilisation rate shouldn't be more than 20-25% of the limit granted you by the CC company for you to remain in good credit score range.

What this mean is that if you have a CC limit of £2000, spending all would make you look desperate and too dependent on credit facility for survival.

To avoid this, use just 25% of £2000 which is £500 each month and pay back the minimum amount payable.

On your part, to avoid matters that touches, try not to spend all of that 25% if you can't afford to pay back monthly the minimum or in the nearest future the entire balance. Always utilise what you would normally pay out of pocket without strain. So assuming you have £40 for a pair of trainers, instead of paying cash or through your debit card, use your CC and pay the £40 back to the CC. This way you are creating for your self, credit history using your CC for purchases.

What oga Lexusgs430 was trying to tell you about the hot soup is that ...don't go and start balling at the Dorchester or Marriott hotels when you get a CC of £5000 credit limit you can't afford to pay back timely cheesy Na olopa dem go use con carray you. oo cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thanks for the detailed explanation Bro. I'll keep in mind. Yea, I understand what Oga Lexus was talking about, I was only catching cruise jare.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rayralph(m): 10:26pm On May 21, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

If you mean, Can healthcare assistant, band 3 role be sponsored, it’s a Yes. But then again, it depends on the Trust. Some may decide not to sponsor but not because the role cannot be sponsored. They will have their reasons for not sponsoring.

Threshold should be btwn £21730 - £23177 depending on the number of years of experience.

NHS Scotland is £25,468 - £27,486
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by misterkelly: 12:07am On May 22, 2023
I have a DD on my monzo account for 4 "items" for two months now. Virgin mobile broadband, council tax, water tax, TV tax and I am on electoral list. Thought just 3 months in UK. But my credit score of Experian is 734. How come?
bigtt76:
Tochyno1995 ...see below. Have you also checked that your credit score on Experian is not locked to external checks? Your score looks good though.

Question
a. Is your rent paid by bank transfer directly to the landlord's account? If yes, try setting up a standing order to execute same time every month
b. How is your council tax or utility bills paid? Do you have Direct Debit set up on your account to debit it every month? Direct debits are reported to credit bureaus
c. Look for Contract-SIM from any of the mobile networks (I use Virgin mobile) and port your current line to them, use direct debit to pay for this monthly. To call home you can use cheap call cards available in Tescos or ASDA etc
d. How long have you been on the electoral roll?

Try the following

1. Place the embolden on standing order and use the following to report your rent payment to report the rent payment to credit agencies.
2. Credit Ladder sign up using my referral https://www.creditladder.co.uk/join/4kN2nMj0DmjpABDL),
3. Loqbox (sign up using my link https://www.loqbox.com/en_gb/loqbox-invite?referral_code=SZJ9DXFXHX&referral_channel=link)
4. Sign up for AMEX https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/tEMItOhbvx?XL=MNANS
5. Try not to open too many bank accounts (are your accounts online banks or conventional banks) or close any already opened
6. You should sign up to Experian credit score platform and they have a 30 days trial with which you can use to guide and boost your scores

You can report previous payment as currently is if you make the transfer same time monthly. The apps would pick it up from your bank account.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 12:41am On May 22, 2023
rayralph:

NHS Scotland is £25,468 - £27,486

My bad! What I quoted was for NHS England.

At times I dey forget the need to be specific as UK comprises of 4 countries.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CheesyTee(f): 5:26am On May 22, 2023
I absolutely forgot I've been collecting avios and saw someone's comment about using it to book flight.

That post came at the right time as I just used mine for 5 days hotel booking for summer holiday.

Anyone need AMEX referral link, use mine please. Make we both collect avios. You get 8,000 and I'll get 4,000.

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/oLoHUAFKgk?XL=MNANS

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 6:18am On May 22, 2023
The longer you stay and older your accounts, the better for your credit history and score. Keep paying your utilities, taxes using DD though I'm not too certain if Monzo reports it to credit report companies.

I would suggest you review your report to figure out what you are doing right or wrong.

misterkelly:
I have a DD on my monzo account for 4 "items" for two months now. Virgin mobile broadband, council tax, water tax, TV tax and I am on electoral list. Thought just 3 months in UK. But my credit score of Experian is 734. How come?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 6:19am On May 22, 2023
😂

Phil46:

Thanks for the detailed explanation Bro. I'll keep in mind. Yea, I understand what Oga Lexus was talking about, I was only catching cruise jare.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 6:51am On May 22, 2023
Stevepop:

Either Starling or Chase bank card is fine. No additional fees and you get the Mastercard rate prevalent at time of transaction.

When withdrawing money or paying for transactions abroad always choose to pay in the local currency. The ATMs and cashiers will give you the option to pay in GBP, ignore this and choose to pay in local currency’. This way your card provider will do the conversion using the Mastercard day rate available at time of transaction. However, if you choose to pay in GBP, the atms and merchants would use their own exchange rate which is usually a big rip off.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rayralph(m): 6:55am On May 22, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

My bad! What I quoted was for NHS England.

At times I dey forget the need to be specific as UK comprises of 4 countries.

grin cheesy no worries.

Scotland is the place to be.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 7:33am On May 22, 2023
With this news everywhere about UK banning int'l students from bringing in their family.

Advocates of "come first bring your family later", I'll like to hear from you

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:38am On May 22, 2023
misterkelly:

"How come?" grin

Everyone should just chill o! You're just 3 months here. In fact, what do we all really want a good credit score for? Do you intend to get a Mortgage really soon.

Building a perfect Credit score takes time, even years! One major factor is the age of your account and residence at a particular address. So, please give it time.

Just ensure you're doing the right things: paying your bills on time, etc. It will grow with time. Make it a 2-year project if possible. Within that period, don't rush things like trying to apply for too many credit facilities, it will backfire.
Don't move houses or bank accounts too often,
don't use more than 25% of your credit limits, don't carry a lot of debt,
Set up direct Debits for bills, but ensure your Account never gets overdrawn,
NEVER miss, default or be late on your bills or credit repayments,
Check your records with Experian, Transunion and Equifax regularly to ensure there are no errors.
Mix things up: phone bill, credit card, council tax, overdraft, etc.
Ensure you're on the Electoral Register early
Avoid CCJs, IVAs, etc cos those one can mess you up for 5 years or more.

UK Banks don't use only Credit score like USA, so while Credit score is important, being responsible, earning well, etc are more important factors for getting approved and lower interests.

I actually wanted to write a few lines but I decided to pour it all out. There are probably over 10 points here so do them slowly over the next 12 to 18 months and you should be better off.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LagosismyHome(f): 7:42am On May 22, 2023
Viruses:
With this news everywhere about UK banning int'l students from bringing in their family.

This should not affect them.... it would be new applicants. If you don't have family or friend support on ground, with the current housing crisis it is not easy bringing everyone at once

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:48am On May 22, 2023
Please fam if a current Master's student want to enroll for another degree here how does he go about it? Would he need to go back home to process a study visa or can apply for same here?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 8:50am On May 22, 2023
You can apply here
bigtt76:
Please fam if a current Master's student want to enroll for another degree here how does he go about it? Would he need to go back home to process a study visa or can apply for same here?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 8:58am On May 22, 2023
Viruses:

It's more of an economic transaction.

The UK would like to offer masters certification for 15k
From previous events, many students do not think the certificate alone is worth the price.

Hence the UK had to sweeten their offer by adding the PSW visa and ability to bring dependents.

With the looming change in terms following a pushback from the populace which is largely migration averse, it's left for prospective clients to reevaluate and see if a UK masters at current cost and chance of a PSW visa and possible T2 visa afterwards is worth separation from ones family.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:01am On May 22, 2023
LagosismyHome:

they don cook food for am. Oyinbos don't deceive themselves, both legal and illegal immigration are powering the Uk economy. Implementing Braverman ideas go scatter things and the brits are not ready for that now with even the high costs of living currently
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 9:02am On May 22, 2023
ooh great. Any idea on the requirements? Like PoF etc? I guess this would be in the CAS but just to give the person heads up. Thanks

hayesconcept:
You can apply here

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (543) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Overthinker, Madeu(m), opeoyek, topellycategory and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.