Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (98) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (471815 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (543) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by terrymason(m): 12:28pm On Jul 13, 2023
Bourne007:
It's pretty clear from the discussions that the normal naija license is to be used.

A friend, who came earlier this year, has a court hearing simply because she couldn't produce the naija license (never had one). The intl alone was completely rejected by police.

kiss Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 12:33pm On Jul 13, 2023
Can anybody explain how that particular Nigerian international license is to be used…

What is its usefulness or do they just use it to generate money from the ignorant ones.

We don’t even know how to identify the original from the fake.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 12:43pm On Jul 13, 2023
terrymason:
Una don confuse me. Should I just do the normal Nigeria license or international license.
I read that one need to have local Nigeria license to be eligible to use international license in the UK. Current I don't have Nigeria license, but planning to do an international license.

What's the best way forward. The answer have been seeing regarding this question has not be straightforward.

Your international driving license is linked to your Nigerian License. If you do not have that, any international you do will be a fake! You'll even need a photocopy of your license when applying.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 12:49pm On Jul 13, 2023
You don't even need the bolded at all to drive for the first 12 months.

iyatrustee:

Your international driving license is linked to your Nigerian License. If you do not have that, any international you do will be a fake! You'll need a photocopy of your license when applying.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2023
terrymason:
Una don confuse me. Should I just do the normal Nigeria license or international license.
I read that one need to have local Nigeria license to be eligible to use international license in the UK. Current I don't have Nigeria license, but planning to do an international license.

What's the best way forward. The answer have been seeing regarding this question has not be straightforward.

Hope you can actually drive.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 12:54pm On Jul 13, 2023
Bourne007:
You don't even need the bolded at all to drive for the first 12 months.

Yeah, I know. Just trying to clear the misconception. I know someone who drove in Naija for years without a DL brandishing the International license since he came here.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 12:56pm On Jul 13, 2023
Instead of trying to get a fake license... Or get a Naija license when you can't drive... Forget about license.

For folks coming here, driving isn't very important that it's do or die. I remember when I was coming over, I was so keen on getting my International License, but came here and for 2 years, I never had a need to drive or buy a car. Train, buses and bicycle, then ocassional taxi were all I needed for any movement.

As for getting a UK License, it's straightforward and easy, just need to pass the tests which you may need some driving lessons for.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 1:18pm On Jul 13, 2023
Solumtoya:
Instead of trying to get a fake license... Or get a Naija license when you can't drive... Forget about license.

[b]For folks coming here, driving isn't very important. [/b]I remember when I was coming over, I was so keen on getting my International License, but came here and for 2 years, I never had a need to drive or buy a car. Train, buses and bicycle, then ocassional taxi were all I needed for any movement.

As for getting a UK License, it's straightforward and easy, just need to pass the tests which you may need some driving lessons for.

With regards to the bolded, it would depend on your lifestyle, closeness to transport links from your abode and the likes. I too have not need for a car yet, even though that might soon change. But If one lives in a remote area and does not live near transport hub, or have transport come irregularly, commutes to work from there. Driving might make life easier for them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 1:35pm On Jul 13, 2023
Chreze:
For clarity sake,

Is there any condition that stops one from :

Getting provisional license
Writing theory test
Doing practical test
Then start to drive alone without supervision in one month or two?

Aside from maybe booking time, slot, ability to learn UK pattern faster and all that. Is there like a certain rule that says all this can’t happen in a month or two?

If there are no rules, please can anyone share reason why it may not be possible.

There's no rule. But it reality, it's not possible most times.

The process to get a provisional license takes like 3 weeks typically. You apply online, then it takes about a week to get the form, you fill the form and send back, then it takes about 2 weeks again for them to send you the provisional license.

When you recieve your provisional license, you have to book for theory test at least 3 days in advance, prepare for it and take the test.

Same as above for practical driving test, but you might not even easily get a date. Waiting times can be as low as 2 weeks or as high as 10 weeks!

So 1 month is actually not feasible

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 1:41pm On Jul 13, 2023
Santa2:

With regards to the bolded, it would depend on your lifestyle, closeness to transport links from your abode and the likes. I too have not need for a car yet, even though that might soon change. But If one lives in a remote area and does not live near transport hub, or have transport come irregularly, commutes to work from there. Driving might make life easier for them.

True, I was distracted when i typed that. I meant it is not "do-or-die". People struggling to get International License even when they can't drive just so they don't enter UK without a license. 99% won't need to drive in the first 6 months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by terrymason(m): 1:42pm On Jul 13, 2023
Solumtoya:

Hope you can actually drive.
Yeah.. Auto and Manual.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by cbn4main: 2:12pm On Jul 13, 2023
dentalux:

To be honest I dont know but you stand a better chance with ICAEW. When it comes to employment there are several parts. Having qualifications, skills, and intelligence is one part. God factor or luck as some people call it is another.

I fully understand. Thanks for your input.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:53pm On Jul 13, 2023
eniola1010:

Abeg enough with emotion, facts dont care about emotion, what is 'some' compared to 'most'

If some invention were by black race, then most were by white race.

We talking of most u talking of some.
Na some we wan chop.

If we had it going why then are u killing yourself to live in their land and be a citizen of their land

Abeg call a spade a spade

Even the some u r talking about arent citizen of africa nation they are blacks whom were born there
What in the world are you even talking about. A LOT of inventions came about from black people. Including great medical discoveries by NIGERIANS who have made discoveries on Cancer and Diabetes. There’s a whole movie about a Nigerian doctor Bennet Omalu who inspired the movie Concussion. If you are too lazy to google, here are some inventions by black people.

https://dailyhive.com/seattle/inventions-by-black-people

STOP TALKING DOWN ON YOUR RACE! It’s ridiculous and continues to purport the narrative that black people are not good for anything. I can’t believe I’m educating another black person on the value that we bring as a race and he’s saying that I’m adding emotions to it. Do better

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by tobbyoladejo: 3:29pm On Jul 13, 2023
jagbasneh:
Quick one please i want to renew my passport in London and i have appointment next week at 9am, the question is if i get their on time for now long it will take me to be capture?
If you get there by 6am and join the queue, you should be done before 11am.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 4:27pm On Jul 13, 2023
Solumtoya:

There's no rule. But it reality, it's not possible most times.

The process to get a provisional license takes like 3 weeks typically. You apply online, then it takes about a week to get the form, you fill the form and send back, then it takes about 2 weeks again for them to send you the provisional license.

When you recieve your provisional license, you have to book for theory test at least 3 days in advance, prepare for it and take the test.

Same as above for practical driving test, but you might not even easily get a date. Waiting times can be as low as 2 weeks or as high as 10 weeks!

So 1 month is actually not feasible

Thank you very much for this. To be honest, I personally don’t need it, but I think my family do. My MSc program was remote, my work is fully remote. Only go out once a week. My son’s nursery is less than 3mins walk. The issue is my wife’s work, she works 3days a week and sometimes when the bus fails, she gets very angry.

Thinking of getting a car. I will tell her to do the tests and do the driving. Me I enjoy being driven around. Almost 3yrs but Lekki and CMS traffic never clear completely from my eyes. E b like I still de pass the traffic for dream sometimes self.

Thanks, this your explanation makes it very easy to plan should it fall on me to do the tests.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 4:39pm On Jul 13, 2023
hyzich:
HI Elders,

I got a 2nd part-time job with a carehome but the new employer wants to contact my current employer (main job "accountant"wink for referencing. I disagreed but was told to discuss with them that I'm not leaving and it is weekend shifts and any weekday shifts is 5pm to 9pm. I'm confused but I'm planning to turned down cos I no want issue with main job.. is there any other better way to deal with this?

Thanks

I would go against the grain here. I don’t see anything wrong with them asking for reference from your current employer. You are allowed to have a second job as long as it doesn’t contravene the terms and condition of your contract.

First question though is - is your employer sponsoring your work visa or are you on dependant visa? If you are on a dependant visa, I don’t see what the problem is. A few of my colleagues (accountants) have second jobs. One works in the pub in the evenings/weekends and the other works in a golf course. We are all aware of this and it’s not a problem. I also help some local groups and charities to complete their books and my employer is aware of this. The problem comes from non/disclosure and conflicting priorities and conflict of interest. The people I’ve mentioned are all British citizens so there might be other things to consider if you are on a sponsored work visa.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2023
Peerielass:

I would go against the grain here. I don’t see anything wrong with them asking for reference from your current employer. You are allowed to have a second job as long as it doesn’t contravene the terms and condition of your contract.

First question though is - is your employer sponsoring your work visa or are you on dependant visa? If you are on a dependant visa, I don’t see what the problem is. A few of my colleagues (accountants) have second jobs. One works in the pub in the evenings/weekends and the other works in a golf course. We are all aware of this and it’s not a problem. I also help some local groups and charities to complete their books and my employer is aware of this. The problem comes from non/disclosure and conflicting priorities and conflict of interest. The people I’ve mentioned are all British citizens so there might be other things to consider if you are on a sponsored work visa.

Thanks. Man just want to be super careful. I'm on a dependant visa but just do not want to take any chances.. olorun oni muwa wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2023
hyzich:

Thanks. Man just want to be super careful. I'm on a dependant visa but just do not want to take any chances.. olorun oni muwa wink
If you have a really good relationship with your line manager, you could ask he/she to serve as your reference.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2023
cbn4main:

For someone who does not require sponsorship(he is already in the uk) and has up 8 years of experience in Nigeria, what are his chances of securing an Accounting or Audit role as an ICAEW member?

Are employers so particular about UK work experience ?

The chances are high. However, your experience matters more than the qualifications.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by krystynaachie: 5:52pm On Jul 13, 2023
Good evening,
Please someone should assist me,
I am trying to apply for a refund of my family's IHS fee but we cannot find some of our IHS reference numbers,
Is there any way we can go about getting it?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightnlife: 6:03pm On Jul 13, 2023
Interested in knowing what your friend did for the police to be involved and resulting in a court case.

I've chatted with a handful of Brits who drive without license (it's still illegal) but they say no one has even disturbed them.

Bourne007:
It's pretty clear from the discussions that the normal naija license is to be used.

A friend, who came earlier this year, has a court hearing simply because she couldn't produce the naija license (never had one). The intl alone was completely rejected by police.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 6:12pm On Jul 13, 2023
lightnlife:
Interested in knowing what your friend did for the police to be involved and resulting in a court case.

I've chatted with a handful of Brits who drive without license (it's still illegal) but they say no one has even disturbed them.

Police can stop you for the minutest of things.

Police once stopped me because my rear plate was covered with dust which made it not to be visible enough.

Why would I ever think I could get stopped for such.

And of cos if any driving doc is found missing, it would probably lead to a court case.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 6:17pm On Jul 13, 2023
Tier4Dependant:

Police can stop you for the minutest of things.

Police once stopped me because my rear plate was covered with dust which made it not to be visible enough.

Why would I ever think I could get stopped for such.

And of cos if any driving doc is found missing, it would probably lead to a court case.

It's a driving offence for your plate number not to be visible
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2023
lightnlife:

Lol. Because they haven’t been caught.

The police don’t accost all cars. When they stop a car it’s usually because of an issue with the car itself, typically when their ANPR spots that it’s not taxed or out of MOT, or when there’s a fault like lights not working or mirror broken etc.

When they’ll stop because of the individual is when the person is driving illegally, like over speeding or general recklessness or when they’re otherwise suspicious for some reason.

So, if your friends are driving without a license and haven’t been bothered it’s because they have kept their cars taxed and in MOT and in good condition and have driven perfectly. The day they’re stopped for any reason and are found to be driving without a license, they’re ending up in court facing points on their license, a fine and or a driving ban.

Above is for the purpose of setting anyone straight who might otherwise get the impression that it’s something worth risking.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hayesconcept(m): 6:39pm On Jul 13, 2023
Hope you really know how to drive? Even if you’re a professional driver in naija which I’m guessing you’re not. UK road will confused you. We have our steering for left in naija while UK own na right. We drive to the right in naija but in Uk na left. Complex roundabout couples with multiple road signs dey UK road wella. Take your time to learn how to drive here no go land yourself in trouble. Ire ook
terrymason:

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 13, 2023
terrymason:

The answer is that you need your Nigeria national drivers license. That’s the ONLY thing that’s recognised.

You don’t need the international permit and you can’t drive with it.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eniola1010(m): 7:33pm On Jul 13, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

What in the world are you even talking about. A LOT of inventions came about from black people. Including great medical discoveries by NIGERIANS who have made discoveries on Cancer and Diabetes. There’s a whole movie about a Nigerian doctor Bennet Omalu who inspired the movie Concussion. If you are too lazy to google, here are some inventions by black people.

STOP TALKING DOWN ON YOUR RACE! It’s ridiculous and continues to purport the narrative that black people are not good for anything. I can’t believe I’m educating another black person on the value that we bring as a race and he’s saying that I’m adding emotions to it. Do better

Again with the emotional roller coaster.
I am not talking down on my race i am only stating facts.
From the littlest things to the largest

Bro, ever since i came to the uk, for over 10 month electricity has never blinked, i have never experienced such in my life, snow has fallen, rain has fallen, sun done shine, i no for once hear say transformer blow.
We are stating facts you are here saying dont talk down on ur race, did my race do something good and i did not commend them.

Look at transport system, an app is there to tell you exactly when the bus is coming, when next the bus is coming and where to stay to catch the bus. Everything organized.

Look at train system.

Even the tinest shop such as a barber's such is infusing apps to serve clients better

We are talking facts u r saying stop talking down on ur race

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 7:51pm On Jul 13, 2023
So you wan follow suit cheesy .. .

Overspeeding .. . She was asked to produce DL which she did but the international DL wasn't accepted. She was then asked to produce naija DL but couldn't hence taking to court.

lightnlife:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 7:57pm On Jul 13, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

the guy is right. He said 'most', and that is not even up for debate. Look at the list you shared gan, talking about foldable bed and potato chips. Blacks need to wake up and rediscover themselves abeg like we were in the cush civilization before we were CONQUERED (still remains so for many till this day), cos telling ourselves sweet lies no go change anything. Even in entertainment where the blacks seem to have some success, na some white dudes dey hold the cheques. Breaks my heart, but that's the reality...

Also the initial poster was clearly even referring more to Nigerians in his somewhat emotional but apt post. I can bet 99% of batch 21/22/23 did Thanksgiving and rolled on the floor in obeisance when they got an ordinary visa...and you know this is true, but if you no gree, I don still rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 7:57pm On Jul 13, 2023
eniola1010:

Again with the emotional roller coaster.
I am not talking down on my race i am only stating facts.
From the littlest things to the largest

Bro, ever since i came to the uk, for over 10 month electricity has never blinked, i have never experienced such in my life, snow has fallen, rain has fallen, sun done shine, i no for once hear say transformer blow.
We are stating facts you are here saying dont talk down on ur race, did my race do something good and i did not commend them.

Look at transport system, an app is there to tell you exactly when the bus is coming, when next the bus is coming and where to stay to catch the bus. Everything organized.

Look at train system.

Even the tinest shop such as a barber's such is infusing apps to serve clients better

We are talking facts u r saying stop talking down on ur race
You asked which one has the black man invented and I showed you proof. The hate for one another is the reason why we are not progressing as a race. We’ve demarketed ourselves to the point of believing that we are less than other races so why build the best in our country. If 24 hours electricity and a good transport system was your problem, why didn’t you move to other African countries with 24 hours power and trains at their disposal?? Also, why do you think immigrants from Poland, Ukraine and Russia are also running to the UK? Or you think it’s only black people that are corrupt? You can hate what we’ve done to ourselves as Nigerians instead of looking down at your own race. Abeg I done tire for this convo, next please!

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:04pm On Jul 13, 2023
Treadway:
the guy is right. He said 'most', and that is not even up for debate. Look at the list you shared gan, talking about foldable bed and potato chips. Blacks need to wake up and rediscover themselves abeg, cos telling ourselves sweet lies no go change anything. Even in entertainment where the blacks seem to have some success, na some white dudes dey hold the cheques. Breaks my heart, but that's the reality...

Also the initial poster was clearly even referring more to Nigerians in his somewhat emotional but apt post. I can bet 99% of batch 21/22/23 did Thanksgiving and rolled on the floor in obeisance when they got an ordinary visa...and you know this is true, but if you no gree, I don still rest my case.
You clearly did not read the full list.

Security systems,
3 point traffic light
Coloured computers and so many others..
because you saw potatoes chips you didn’t bother to read the rest. Also, If anyone rolled on the floor for a visa, that’s their prerogative, are we now mocking people for being joyous about a life changing move? I don’t understand the logic behind your last paragraph.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:13pm On Jul 13, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

You asked which one has the black man invented and I showed you proof. The hate for one another is the reason why we are not progressing as a race. We’ve demarketed ourselves to the point of believing that we are less than other races so why build the best in our country. If 24 hours electricity and a good transport system was your problem, why didn’t you move to other African countries with 24 hours power and trains at their disposal?? Also, why do you think immigrants from Poland, Ukraine and Russia are also running to the UK? Or you think it’s only black people that are corrupt? You can hate what we’ve done to ourselves as Nigerians instead of looking down at your own race. Abeg I done tire for this convo, next please!

Demarketing ourselves and this and that is not the reason why Ogun state cannot build ordinary website to buy train tickets on Sha

Black man no try, make we no lie give ourselves grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) ... (543) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: AKALAMAGBO, Treadway, Elderss and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.