Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,335 members, 7,829,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (99) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (487575 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (555) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by courage54(m): 8:46pm On Jul 13, 2023
IvanCardozo:

Hotel reservations, no.
Travel insurance, yes.... Just about £18 or so

Thank you for the feedback boss.

Please how did you go about the flight reservations? Because is part of the requirements for some applications?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:47pm On Jul 13, 2023
hustla:

Demarketing ourselves and this and that is not the reason why Ogun state cannot build ordinary website to buy train tickets on Sha

Black man no try, make we no lie give ourselves grin
Again with the demarketing, you are not talking about how Nigeria has one of the most advanced tech when it comes to the fintech industry.. Nigeria is on the top 10 list with the most start up investments. Ordinary Barclays cannot give you a pdf version of a transfer as POP, something that Nigerian banks have been doing for years. But no, we’ll talk about how "we cannot build websites" because of corrupt leaders. The white child will hear this and grow up believing that we don’t know what websites are.

Paris is marketed as the city of love, we see how beautiful it looks in movies and we love it. Went to the same Paris and was smelling piss everywhere and there are protests in France every other day. But you’d never see them demarket the place, it’s sold as an amazing place for tourism. Abeg, I don tire to dey talk

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 9:01pm On Jul 13, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

You clearly did not read the full list.

Security systems,
3 point traffic light
Coloured computers and so many others..
because you saw potatoes chips you didn’t bother to read the rest. Also, If anyone rolled on the floor for a visa, that’s their prerogative, are we now mocking people for being joyous about a life changing move? I don’t understand the logic behind your last paragraph.
kwaku my guy😁😎

Not trying to be adversarial bro, but let's be honest with ourselves. Okay hear me out.

I read that list, and honest to God I'm glad you shared that link cos now I have learnt something new. Prior to now, I didn't know a number of those items were by black inventors..

That said, still on the word 'most', there is still no contesting what Eniola said.

First, a good number of those are quite dated, not taking away the relevance, but why has the momentum stopped is what we should think of. Why are the blacks of today not having that consciousness of being trailblazers in the context of wetin we dey talk. Look around you, and see the gadgets and technologies that we interface with in this our day. It's so easy to see that this 120 and some more are a drop in the ocean. Na the Koko be that. If we had that consciousness, we would have kept the momentum, and you will be able to pick at least three items you interface with daily and attribute it to black ingenuity. Not saying we shouldn't appreciate and value ourselves and our work, but the word 'most' has already explained where I am going.

In entertainment and sports now, we rule! Yea I made a comment earlier about how the top execs cutting the cheques may be whites, but essentially we own the craft when we talking music, rap, sports in the whole round world. That is the prominence we are talking about. What we are saying is just as we are undeniably prominent in that regard/area, the whites are the prominent ones in the area of advancement as we know it and as we are discussing, and it pains me cos we were the advanced ones and they were the barbarians, but that has since changed, and it is irrefutable, and we best tell ourselves the truth and wake-up rather than feeling cool with the really great list you shared. I really really hope you get my point. Cheers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2023
Treadway:
kwaku my guy😁😎

Not trying to be adversarial bro, but let's be honest with ourselves. Okay hear me out.

I read that list, and honest to God I'm glad you shared that link cos now I have learnt something new. Prior to now, I didn't know a number of those items were by black inventors..

That said, still on the word 'most', there is still no contesting what Eniola said.

First, a good number of those are quite dated, not taking away the relavance, but why has the momentum stopped is what we should think of. Why are the blacks of today not having that consciousness of being trailblazers in the context of wetin we dey talk. Look around you, and see the gadgets and technologies that we interface with in this our day. It's so easy to see that this 120 and some more are a drop in the ocean. Na the Koko be that. If we had that consciousness, we would have kept the momentum, and you will be able to pick at least three items you interface with daily and attribute it to black ingenuity. Not saying we shouldn't appreciate and value ourselves and our work, but the word 'most' has already explained where I am going.

In entertainment and sports now, we rule! Yea I made a comment earlier about how the top execs cutting the cheques may be whites, but essentially we own the craft when we talking music, rap, sports in the whole round world. That is the prominence we are talking about. What we are saying is just as we are undeniably prominent in that regard/area, the whites are the prominent ones in the area of advancement as we know it and as we are discussing, and it pains me cos we were the advanced ones and they were the barbarians, but that has since changed, and it is irrefutable, and we best tell ourselves the truth and wake-up rather than feeling cool with the really great list you shared. I really really hope you get my point. Cheers.
You are absolutely right and I get your point but this doesn’t always have to be the narrative. At some point we need to applaud the positives as well. The dick riding of the other race dey always annoy me sha. But yea, I agree with you!

Also, the white man is cutting the cheques because he sees the value we don’t see in ourselves.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 9:22pm On Jul 13, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Again with the demarketing, you are not talking about how Nigeria has one of the most advanced tech when it comes to the fintech industry.. Nigeria is on the top 10 list with the most start up investments. Ordinary Barclays cannot give you a pdf version of a transfer as POP, something that Nigerian banks have been doing for years. But no, we’ll talk about how "we cannot build websites" because of corrupt leaders. The white child will hear this and grow up believing that we don’t know what websites are.

Paris is marketed as the city of love, we see how beautiful it looks in movies and we love it. Went to the same Paris and was smelling piss everywhere and there are protests in France every other day. But you’d never see them demarket the place, it’s sold as an amazing place for tourism. Abeg, I don tire to dey talk
Comrade. You don try 😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:26pm On Jul 13, 2023
Chreze:
For clarity sake,

Is there any condition that stops one from :

Getting provisional license
Writing theory test
Doing practical test
Then start to drive alone without supervision in one month or two?

Aside from maybe booking time, slot, ability to learn UK pattern faster and all that. Is there like a certain rule that says all this can’t happen in a month or two?

If there are no rules, please can anyone share reason why it may not be possible.

When you go for the practical test, you will be mandated to sign two consents.

1. That you have lived in the UK for at least 180 days.
2. That the car you want to use for the test is insured for the purpose of driving test.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by steadyMoving22: 9:40pm On Jul 13, 2023
hustla:

Demarketing ourselves and this and that is not the reason why Ogun state cannot build ordinary website to buy train tickets on Sha

Black man no try, make we no lie give ourselves grin

Lol black man indeed, the UK is fantastic please!

NIGERIA hasn't done any better. People who never wanted to japa three years ago are actively working on leaving now.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:14pm On Jul 13, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

LOL PDF in all of this

Just call a spade a spade. We are like 100 years behind these people whether or not you admit it

Shame catch me when I go Nigeria last December. Went through Qatar airport and got to MMIA, I was ashamed

We have a long way to go and we won't get there in the next 50 years unless something drastic happens

£1 = 1055 now Btw wink

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by pushup: 10:14pm On Jul 13, 2023
hayesconcept:
Yes, but the international one will expire once you clock a year in the UK
thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:15pm On Jul 13, 2023
steadyMoving22:

Lol black man indeed, the UK is fantastic please!

NIGERIA hasn't done any better. People who never wanted to japa three years ago are actively working on leaving now.

grin

Things were crazy expensive in December when I went. I'm sure it's x5 now

I tire for Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 10:27pm On Jul 13, 2023
profemebee:
you deserve cold beer bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweet cold beer..

Haha... I greet you brother.

But I no dey drink beer grin

Dash me money nah

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ebukson: 11:26pm On Jul 13, 2023
Hi @adefoluk
Please I'll want to connect with you. I am trying to apply for the global talent visa and would need your help. Can we connect?

adefoluk:
Good day sirs/mas

Please I need your assistance.

I have UK Global talent visa and I have collected my BRP card which is still valid until 2026. But I have stayed 8months on a stretch outside the UK. Will I still be allowed to enter the UK?

I'm aware I cannot count the year towards ILR application in the future. I just want to know if I will be allowed to enter the UK and not denied at the port of entry

Kindly assist.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BuildingProject: 12:35am On Jul 14, 2023
krystynaachie:
Good evening,
Please someone should assist me,
I am trying to apply for a refund of my family's IHS fee but we cannot find some of our IHS reference numbers,
Is there any way we can go about getting it?

Check the email you used when applying.
Check the bank statement of the bank card you used in payment.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nelsmannnnnnnnn(m): 12:37am On Jul 14, 2023
This is brilliant!!!

semmyk:
Let's start off on this note.
- is the suspension with pay or without pay. Expectedly, it's with pay.
- is there a letter of suspension. If so, did the letter mentioned... suspension in view of investigation towards disciplinary hearing ... If the letter includes statement similar to the italic, you would be under the ambit of labour matter. Then ACAS becomes your go-to for advice or to lodge complaint towards employment Tribunal.
If not, you might have to go the Court route on civil litigation. Going employment dispute might work best though.

PS: Bigtt76 asked if there's a recording. Kindly answer this.
If you're unsure, you'll need to demand.
NB: it appears your friend has been opening his mouth too wide. In law, silence is golden. One does not go gara gara, especially the typical 9ja way.

Herewith within the limit of one-sided [audi alteram partem]
-- ex patient or service user raised a sexual complaint
At the time of the alleged incident, it the patient a subsisting patient or ex patient
-- against her previous carer
Ditto, at the time of incident, is she, the patient, ex or current.
Was the complaint filed while a patient or ex patient
Is the patient claiming she stopped/revoke the care service due to the incidence
-- since last year August and he has been suspended from work ever since ... till now the issue is still on the table
From Aug 2022, we are looking upward of 9 mths. That's gross. Can investigation takes so long, yes it can. Should it, heck no.
Bearing no unforseen or unknown fact, your friend is within his right to file (labour) employment dispute.
Link: ACAS: Investigations for discipline ...
Approaching ACAS should be the first step, however, in most certainty,
your friend might need a good employment lawyer. Obviously, not charge and bail!!!

-- mentioned hes schooling in a university,
As mentioned earlier, your friend must learn to be circumspect with words while not uneconomical or labeled as uncooperative. It's a balance within the ambit of ... reserve the right to be silent 😷
-- so they now went ahead to write the Uni to inform them hes under investigation so the uni asked him to stay away until he is cleared ... ... the police have been invited and they couldnt find any evidence of misbehavior.
In this instance, let your friend approach the university with the police report (findings). On the basis of ... innocent until proven guilty ... the university should lift the bar.
If not, your friend lodge a dispute with the university ombudsman (if there's one) and/or OIAHE: Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education
Let your friend read more from Office for Students - https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/for-students/ofs-and-students/complaints/complaints-about-a-university-or-college/
PS: if your friend can afford it, let him approach the likes of HCB Solicitor (hcbgroup {dot} com).

-- that very week wahala started
You mentioned earlier that ... It took months for the details of the so called offence that led to safeguard was even known o ...
Which is which. Kindly clarify.

You may want to read these regarding rights during investigation
[1] https://castleassociates {.} org.uk/ blog/i-am-being-investigated-at-work-what-are-my-rights
[2] www {.} richardnelsonllp.co.uk/ what-are-my-rights-if-im-being-investigated-at-work/

The advice herein are not construed as legal advisory as contemplated in law
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nelsmannnnnnnnn(m): 1:15am On Jul 14, 2023
This civil services you mentioned, do they give sponsorships for BA, PM or DA roles?

Santa2:

@lightnlife Like someone earlier suggested, you can apply for roles in civil service, its usually easier to get into compared to private organisations. Its normally one interview(could be more depending on the organisation) and they would give you guidelines around questions you would be asked. The pay might not be fantastic but you will get the much needed experience and work delivery might not be fast paced and gives you ability to learn on the job. Ministry of Justice, dvlsa usually have a lot of these roles available, you might want to tweak the job title also, e.g product owner, project support et.c.NHS also has alot of BA roles. With regards to access to learning environment, register on clicked (its a site aimed at bridging the experience gap between job training and readiness) signup on an experience and pick a sprint and you will be assigned a business case that you will have to use you BA skill set to solve. You will elicit requirements, draw process maps, write user stories , support testing all through this process. The good thing is that you will be grouped with other team members from all over the world hence you wont provide this solution in isolation but work collaboratively with other.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:23am On Jul 14, 2023
Poanan:

PhD students are still allowed even after Jan 2024

Yes that is clear from the govt's guidelines, but the OP was talking about a master's course
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SapphireFort(f): 3:52am On Jul 14, 2023
Chikadibia21:
Hi Solumtoya,

Amex card applications for my husband and I were rejected. We have done everything possible to build credit scores; monthly direct debits, phone contracts, registration to vote, and are in our 2nd year in the UK.

My husband's works full-time on a permanent basis. Someone said we have to have spent 3yrs in the UK but I see ppl less than 6months getting approved. What could be the issue please?

Maybe, you can try other cards. Just ensure you apply for only cards where you get at least 90% pre-approved. I am surprised at this Amex thing too because even though I have two credit cards now, aqua and one from my bank, I was refused for Amex.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 6:58am On Jul 14, 2023
Viruses:

When you go for the practical test, you will be mandated to sign two consents.

1. That you have lived in the UK for at least 180 days.
2. That the car you want to use for the test is insured for the purpose of driving test.

Thanks. I am on Auto trader and Arnold Clark. The minute I get a good deal. Will snatch it. Discovered you can get good deal if you pay high deposit. If you adjust to pay like £5k deposit, you can get 1k interest for say like a 15k car for 3yrs. Arnold Clark has good offers, now I see why most cars have that their logo.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:09am On Jul 14, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

You have energy o. When these folks speak, you see the sad mentality they have. This complex will unfortunately affect them in many ways.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BorisJohnson(f): 7:49am On Jul 14, 2023
Rise in IHS coming….

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:23am On Jul 14, 2023
BorisJohnson:
Rise in IHS coming….

Big answer to those who say immigrants contribute nothing much to the almighty Uk.

Sunak just admitted that for the govt to take care of it’s people by increasing wages, they need more money from immigrants else they can’t pay grin

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Raalsalghul: 8:38am On Jul 14, 2023
hustla:

LOL PDF in all of this

Just call a spade a spade. We are like 100 years behind these people whether or not you admit it

Shame catch me when I go Nigeria last December. Went through Qatar airport and got to MMIA, I was ashamed

We have a long way to go and we won't get there in the next 50 years unless something drastic happens

£1 = 1055 now Btw wink

That MMIA is just another Nigerian disgrace in a class of its own.

Been opportune to be at Qatar Airport, Shenzhen Baon, Heathrow and KLIA: mega-sized airport projects, large, mini-cities, sophisticated hubs with rail/bus transport links connected to their respective cities.

Comparing these to MMIA leaves you shedding tears.😀

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jadepinkett(f): 8:55am On Jul 14, 2023
Sneaking back in here 😏..

Been a while friends, but YouKay will sometimes show you pepper. Biko to relieve all the gbas gbos I have gotten from YouKay this year, epp me use my link to get credit card

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/cHINWN76gW?XL=MNMNS

Yet to get a credit card? You are sitting on a long thing mai dears. Sign up using the link above and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the freebies you can get.
Use your credit card wisely though..

Edit: Do you know you can use your Amex points on Qatar airways? Now you can gather points on Amex and use them to fly on both BA and Qatar... giving you the chance to chuz 😉
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by MonkeySee: 10:32am On Jul 14, 2023
The normal rate for the immigration health surcharge will increase from *£624 to £1,035 per year*. This will be paid by workers entering for a period of six months or more and the family members of migrants and British citizens alike.

The discounted rate for students, children and youth mobility visa holders will be increased from *£470 to £776 per year*. The minister announcing the measure explicitly stated that this increase “would fund the pay rise for doctors” that was announced earlier.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BorisJohnson(f): 10:52am On Jul 14, 2023
MonkeySee:
The normal rate for the immigration health surcharge will increase from *£624 to £1,035 per year*. This will be paid by workers entering for a period of six months or more and the family members of migrants and British citizens alike.

The discounted rate for students, children and youth mobility visa holders will be increased from *£470 to £776 per year*. The minister announcing the measure explicitly stated that this increase “would fund the pay rise for doctors” that was announced earlier.

And then as soon as you come in, your very first salary is taxed.
You pay National Insurance tax. And part of National Insurance tax is used for… the NHS!

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayowa94: 10:56am On Jul 14, 2023
To those that switched visa within the UK how long did it take before you get decision?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LondyC(f): 11:06am On Jul 14, 2023
mayowa94:
To those that switched visa within the UK how long did it take before you get decision?
3 weeks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 11:18am On Jul 14, 2023
Raalsalghul:

That MMIA is just another Nigerian disgrace in a class of its own.

Been opportune to be at Qatar Airport, Shenzhen Baon, Heathrow and KLIA: mega-sized airport projects, large, mini-cities, sophisticated hubs with rail/bus transport links connected to their respective cities.

Comparing these to MMIA leaves you shedding tears.😀

Got there wearing jacket and the heat and lack of organization ehn, I wanted to cry

People jumping queue, daylight bribery etc

I just dey shake head
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 11:19am On Jul 14, 2023
mayowa94:

1 working day.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:43am On Jul 14, 2023
Chreze:
For clarity sake,

Is there any condition that stops one from :

Getting provisional license
Writing theory test
Doing practical test
Then start to drive alone without supervision in one month or two?

Aside from maybe booking time, slot, ability to learn UK pattern faster and all that. Is there like a certain rule that says all this can’t happen in a month or two?

If there are no rules, please can anyone share reason why it may not be possible.

Not aware of a way to excape this (outside the first year) for someone coming from Nigeria.

The UK driving test is mainly for ones protection as it helps ypu understand the roads and rules of driving avoiding harm to yourself and others.

It is an extremely straightforward exam. One which thousands pass every year. There is no catch to it. All thats expected is to repeat what your driving instructor showed you typically on thesame roads you practiced on.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:46am On Jul 14, 2023
BorisJohnson:
Rise in IHS coming….

It's about time nah........ 🤣😅

They have looked at the books, and just realised, immigrants are cash cows....... 🇬🇧🐮🐄😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:51am On Jul 14, 2023
eniola1010:

Abeg enough with emotion, facts dont care about emotion, what is 'some' compared to 'most'

If some invention were by black race, then most were by white race.

We talking of most u talking of some.
Na some we wan chop.

If we had it going why then are u killing yourself to live in their land and be a citizen of their land

Abeg call a spade a spade

Even the some u r talking about arent citizen of africa nation they are blacks whom were born there

It might look daunting when you initially come to the UK and see their seemingly straightforward process for somethings we struggle with back home.

That said, the longer you stay and rise in your profession, the more you see its same human folk around the world. What differs is just opportunity- some of which was accumulated via devious means over centuries from others.

It's for your benefit that you slowly break yourself from the mental shackles of neo-colonialism. People would see it thru you and you'd just be another timid immigrant who believes their life worth is dependent on being in the UK. Such mentality would sure limit your attainment here

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) ... (555) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: OlaLiberty(m), iyatrustee(f), etin06(m), dustydee, SpaceAngel, Mumibaby(f), ooty and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.