Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. (737 Views)

Things To Consider When Travelling Outside Nigeria For Further Studies / Never Depend On Anybody That Is Outside The Country / Share Your Experience Of Life Outside Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by Kingosytex(m): 7:55pm On May 24, 2023
I recently applied for a job in Ghanaian company and no sooner had I submitted my CV than the director opened it and said immediately 'You are a Nigerian and studied at the University of Nigeria',
I replied in the affirmative and took my leave moments later.

He called me some two weeks later and the first thing he said was 'Why should we give you this job when your people are all over Ghana scamming and defrauding people?' 'The company has gone through your credentials and they are marvelous but...'

The first statement made me feel so bad and made a surge of anger erupt within me, I had to keep my calm and explained to him that the three references on my CV could attest to my character. One of the references is a top NDC member and one time PA to the immediate past Ghanaian president; John Dramani Mahama; the other is a top preacher and prophet while the other is a business man. I also made him realize that he's committing a fallacy of hasty generalization. I made him realize that he's insulted and condemned me already for fraud despite the fact that I've never scammed anyone. I made him understand that I'm not defending my country because we're all saints neither I'm I ruling out the possibility that some Nigerians are in Ghana scamming people. I made him understand that all Ghanaians weren't saints either and that there are good and bad people in every country and all spheres of life.

You guys don't understand how critical this is, people just hearing your intonation and deducing that you are a Nigerian makes them wary about you, just mentioning that you are a Nigerian makes people to be extremely careful about you. To them, you are like a time bomb that can explode at any moment. Why won't the locals see you as a threat when countless atrocious acts are linked to Nigerians?

Just recently, a guy brought his girlfriend to Ghana and probably used her for Sakawa. The guy traveled to the northern part of Ghana (where Sakawa is prevalent), his girlfriend died some days later and all efforts to reach the guy were futile as he refused to take anyone's calls. The girl's corpse was deposited in a mortuary and her spirits has been wandering in the compound mentioning the boy's name (according to the neighbours).
Their room was ransacked and his NIN found alongside his mother's contact, calls were put through to his mother and the situation explained to her, the woman promised to assist in payment of the mortuary bills and claimed that she never knew the girl her son was dating... It's indeed a pathetic situation.

I laugh each time I come to this forum and see how you guys make a tribal war out of every topic. No one knows your tribe once you step out of the shores of Nigeria, you are known as a Nigerian ; no one knows which one is Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Ijaw, Efik etc.

What exactly should we do to prevent the image of our country from deteriorating further?

Mynd44
nplfmod
Lalasticlala
Seun
Justwise
Oam4j

1 Like

Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by chrisxxx(m): 8:54pm On May 24, 2023
The campaign is to start to tell foreigners the tribes giving Nigerians this negative name.
We will also tell them how to identify them. We will mention their states also.

5 Likes

Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by JaredH: 9:10pm On May 24, 2023
That is why we must include tribe in our passport

1 Like

Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by Kingosytex(m): 9:24pm On May 24, 2023
chrisxxx:
The campaign is to start to tell foreigners the tribes giving Nigerians this negative name.

This makes little sense.
Which tribe exactly is the cause of the problem?
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by OneCandleAway(f): 9:30pm On May 24, 2023
Kingosytex:

This makes little sense.

I learnt some countries know tribes in Nigeria now especially those that carry drugs to South America or Asia.

6 Likes

Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by Rostikol: 9:32pm On May 24, 2023
The premise of the entire post by the OP is wrong.

This whole idea that Nigerians are uniformly regarded as criminals just because of what you experienced in tiny, insignificant Ghana, is bogus and dodgy.

What about the millions of Nigerians in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and elsewhere, many of whom work in the highest professions and echelons of society?

....Do people there not know that they are Nigerians before hiring them?

Do you know the number of Nigerian doctors working in places like Jamaica, Togo, Barbados, Trinidad, Ethiopia, and even Mexico?

In some these countries, if you remove the Nigerian doctors and nurses working there, their health systems would collapse the same day.

Even right now there are thousands of Nigerians based in Nigeria, working in highly professional remote jobs for companies based in everywhere from the USA to New Zealand.

Please expose yourself to the world and stop allowing hateful, moronic non-entities in a little village like Ghana make you think the whole world hates Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by YouandiAllofus: 9:37pm On May 24, 2023
While experience on the job is important, mentality is even a far greater asset employers look forward to during interviews. Your attempt to correct the impression of your potential boss about your country and country men may have been born out of patriotism, but that was not the kind of answer expected from a potential employee. (Most employers take a quick look at your cv and try to determine the part that can put you under pressure and draw their questions from there and watch how you respond). I am sure your boss knows that every country has their negative side, throwing your country's at your face doesn't call for the type of narrations expressed. It shows how pressure can get at you really fast. Rather, you should tell your boss how you intend to make a difference, how your contributions are going to bring back value should they decide to hire you.

1 Like

Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by Kingosytex(m): 9:38pm On May 24, 2023
OneCandleAway:

I learnt some countries know tribes in Nigeria now especially those that carry drugs to South America or Asia.

Drugs aren't the only crime being committed by Nigerians. I know you are trying to share the Igbos, but it might interest you to know that other tribes are fast competing with the Igbos for the top position. grin

What about internet fraud and other vices? Are the Igbos also leading there?
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by Rostikol: 9:42pm On May 24, 2023
YouandiAllofus:
While experience on the job is important, mentality is even a far greater asset employers look forward to during interviews. Your attempt to correct the impression of your potential boss about your country and country men may have been born out of patriotism, but that was not the kind of answer expected from a potential employee. (Most employers take a quick look at your cv and try to determine the part that can put you under pressure and draw their questions from there and watch how you respond). I am sure your boss knows that every country has their negative side, throwing your country's at your face doesn't call for the type of narrations expressed. It shows how pressure can get at you really fast. Rather, you should tell your boss how you intend to make a difference, how your contributions are going to bring back value should they decide to employ you.

Load of TRASH.

That so-called ''employer'' is a bigot and a fool, and nobody in their right mind should even WANT to work for a company like that, which practices bare-faced prejudice and discrimination.

If he asked you those questions in a developed country, ie ''Why should we give you this job when your people are all over our country scamming and defrauding people?'', you could take him to court for aggravated racial harassment and discrimination, and you would win with hefty damages and fines levelled against that company.

1 Like

Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by BRIMBRAM: 9:42pm On May 24, 2023
chrisxxx:

grin
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by Corn247: 9:55pm On May 24, 2023
This is because some people will find a way to blame fulani herdsmen for everycrime they commit instead of speaking sense to themselves.
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by JagabanBorgu: 10:16pm On May 24, 2023
Ghañaians doñ't like Nîgeriàns their perspective is too meager to base ur conclusion.
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by YouandiAllofus: 10:33pm On May 24, 2023
Rostikol:

Load of TRASH.

That so-called ''employer'' is a bigot and a fool, and nobody in their right mind should even WANT to work for a company like that, which practices bare-faced prejudice and discrimination.

If he asked you those questions in a developed country, ie ''Why should we give you this job when your people are all over our country scamming and defrauding people?'', you could take him to court for aggravated racial harassment and discrimination, and you would win with hefty damages and fines levelled against that company.

I see your point. But i think every question asked by an interviewer is aimed at revealing true abilities judging from what is pened down in cv's. All is nothing but attempt to hire the best hands from interviews, and has nothing of unclean intent. It shouldn't warrant litigations as far as i know
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by sreamsense: 10:48pm On May 24, 2023
Yes, op; really it is unfortunate! However, you are in Nigeria now or later; you know those that commit 70% of Nigeria Crime at local and international scenes. Tell it to their faces maybe we will begin to see changes. They will be responsible for spoiling Nigeria in higher proportion and then call Nigeria zoo. It has affected many honest and hardworking Nigeria in many ways, untill all of us join our hands together to expose them and properbly put them on public ridicule, they won't take any step to change for better because their ways of reasoning are upside-down
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by chrisxxx(m): 6:15am On May 25, 2023
Kingosytex:

This makes little sense.
Go to UK, US, UAE , Malaysia and others ask them about the inventories of Nigerians they have in jail. From their names you will know the predominant tribes constituting this.
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by KanwuliaExtra: 6:19am On May 25, 2023
Who is to blame?
When you have APCriminals in power.
What lessons have they given to Nigerians if not to tell LIES, STEAL, MAIM AND KILL PEOPLE?

Then look at the SHAMELESS INEC as represented by Festus Okoye and Mamood Yakubu?

Tufiakwa!
Re: The Stigma Of Being A Nigerian Outside Nigeria. by 1Sharon(f): 11:27am On May 25, 2023
You're only allowed to get angry if you've never generalised another group of people.

(1) (Reply)

Trvavelling Advice, / ggg / We Are Born To Do This And Tha Is Why We Derived Joy In Making Our Client Happy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.