Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,948 members, 7,814,214 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? (1556 Views)

What Peter Obi Really Said About Tinubu "Rest" (video) / Which States And Areas Was Obi Rigged Out? / 2023: Osinbajo ‘A Pawn On The Chessboard’ – Seye Oladejo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Penguin2: 11:24pm On May 25, 2023
The narrative of Peter Obi having been lured away from PDP to LP by Pat Utomi to help divide Atiku’s votes has dominated the front burner since yesterday after the man from Ibadan went on Radio to declare that Obi was just a pawn in Tinubu’s game.

But was Obi really their pawn?7

I am tempted to believe that in the beginning, Obi may have actually been helped to his candidacy by men planted by Tinubu. But then things got of hand.

Things got of hand because people bought into the Obi candidacy. And from being a spoiler to Atiku, he became a real threat to Tinubu who thought Obi’s emergence would help his own ambition.

I would like to also suppose that even the agents who were deployed by Tinubu to ‘deceive’ Obi, now saw that they had a real sight at power and they possibly stopped taking instructions from Tinubu which is why the EFCC came for somebody like Okupe who I’m sure must have been part of Tinubu’s agents.

So, what I’m saying is that the Obi journey may have started with Tinubu’s agents thinking they wanted to deceive Obi to hurt Atiku, but it ended up becoming a tsunami and a conflagration that even Tinubu and his Much touted structure laboured to put out and ended up messing themselves up by rigging the election like children in kindergarten.

In a nutshell, there’s nothing for Tinubu’s boys to celebrate about the revelation that Tinubu funded Obi’s campaign because it turned out becoming a curse on even Tinubu himself.

Obi turned the eggs thrown at him into omelette and and checkmated the one who thought himself master of chess who had to resort to breaking the chessboard to prevent being checkmated.

But let’s see how far he can go with a dubious victory.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by plaindealer: 11:31pm On May 25, 2023
Penguin2:
The narrative of Peter Obi having been lured away from PDP to LP by Pat Utomi to help divide Atiku’s votes has dominated the front burner since yesterday after the man from Ibadan went on Radio to declare that Obi was just a pawn in Tinubu’s game.

But was Obi really their pawn?7

I am tempted to believe that in the beginning, Obi may have actually been helped to his candidacy by men planted by Tinubu. But then things got of hand.

Things got of hand because people bought into the Obi candidacy. And from being a spoiler to Atiku, he became a real threat to Tinubu who thought Obi’s emergence would help his own ambition.

I would like to also suppose that even the agents who were deployed by Tinubu to ‘deceive’ Obi, now saw that they had a real sight at power and they possibly stopped taking instructions from Tinubu which is why the EFCC came for somebody like Okupe who I’m sure must have been part of Tinubu’s agents.

So, what I’m saying is that the Obi journey may have started with Tinubu’s agents thinking they wanted to deceive Obi to hurt Atiku, but it ended up becoming a tsunami and a conflagration that even Tinubu and his Much touted structure laboured to put out and ended up messing themselves up by rigging the election like children in kindergarten.

In a nutshell, there’s nothing for Tinubu’s boys to celebrate about the revelation that Tinubu funded Obi’s campaign because it turned out becoming a curse on even Tinubu himself.

Obi turned the eggs thrown at him into omelette and and checkmated the one who thought himself master of chess who had to resort to breaking the chessboard to prevent being checkmated.

But let’s see how far he can go with a dubious victory.

grin grin

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by GeneralPula: 11:42pm On May 25, 2023

Tsunami for Pdp, not Apc..

Obi didn’t affect Tinubu at all in the elections. It was Pdp he affected!

Cynthia Okeke is the real kindergarten kid!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Fren232: 11:50pm On May 25, 2023
Tinubu achieved every one of his target.
He won the presidency, won both Houses of assembly. Retained Lagos.
I'm not sure APC lost any seat to LP, but PDP lost a number of seats to LP
Meaning his plan worked perfectly well

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Ttalk: 11:56pm On May 25, 2023
The way Obidients including the OP were ranting during the campaign shows that they are Muntulla and lack the foresight to see the damage they were causing themselves to the advantage of Tinubu, what obidients cannot see is that they were the real vehicle that took Tinubu to Asorock while Peter Obi was the driver

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by yarimo(m): 12:12am On May 26, 2023
Politically OBI is a small boy

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by savcy(m): 12:15am On May 26, 2023
This is a well-spinned conspiracy theory, but a conspiracy theory nonetheless. Nothing is further from the truth. Obi left the PDP when it became obvious that money was going to play a significant role in who emerges as flag-bearer, and Atiku, his "senior brother", was pretty clear about his choice of Okowa (whom he chose solely on the basis of his 'war chest' from day one) as V. P. He had nothing of an arrangement with anyone. This cheap attempt to tarnish his image is laughable.

Tinubu only profited from the simple math of subtraction that was the consequence of Obi's candidature. And if we're being fair, an election so flawed cannot even be a legitimate factor in discussing the outcomes of the last election cycle. So, I wouldn't be so bold as to even say Tinubu profited, because he may as well have come third, but we may never know. I mean, there had to be an infraction of process for him to emerge. He may be President, but we can't really use anything from that election to critically discuss anything tangible, because we're not even certain he won.

6 Likes

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by DMerciful(m): 12:18am On May 26, 2023
You guys will invoke MKO when Tinubu is removed
Fren232:
Tinubu achieved every one of his target.
He won the presidency, won both Houses of assembly. Retained Lagos.
I'm not sure APC lost any seat to LP, but PDP lost a number of seats to LP
Meaning his plan worked perfectly well
Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by HacheNoire: 1:22am On May 26, 2023
Peter was the vehicle Tinubu used to Aso-Rock.

The moment Peter left PDP, the election was already concluded.

It would have been a very tough one if Atiku and Peter ran together again.

And the biggest loser now is Peter, Shame can’t allow him return to PDP, as that’s the only platform that can get him to presidency if he will ever be.

The game is more thicker than Peter knows, with regards to AFRICAN politics.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by sunboy(m): 2:03am On May 26, 2023
We don talk am before but una refuse to hear. Obi + Kwakwanso accelerated Tinubu’s victory.

Buhari already messed up almost every APC’s chance and his achievements couldn’t be used to campaign. Better to use all available options, which includes sharing traditional PDP votes.

Imagine Atiku, Kwakwanso and Obi are in PDP against Tinubu in APC?

Also, somebody once argued that I don’t know Kwakwanso when I insinuated that he knowingly was in that race to work for Tinubu, atleast in the last election. The truth is finally coming out now.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by unohbethel(m): 4:16am On May 26, 2023
Uncle seunmsg is this really true cool

1 Like

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by gidgiddy: 4:57am On May 26, 2023
Some people like to talk arrant nonsense

How much would Tinubu give a billonaire like Obi to help him win elections? Theres somethings you hear and you wonder if those that believe it have a brain

If Tinubu sponsored Obi, why would Obi be at the tribunal today fighting Tinubu?

If Tinubu sponsored Obi, what is in it for Obi? How much will you be able to give a billionaire like Obi for him to travel all over Nigeria campaigning, just for another person to win?

Obi ran on his own merit to become President of Nigeria, same as others, and not because of anything to do with Tinubu

1 Like

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by DiscoverID: 5:08am On May 26, 2023
Of course, even my dog knows that Obi was a cog is atiku's wheel. He was used like a tissue paper he is to destroyed the only chance of booting apc out of office. Dumb, blind leading an online zombies exchanging wild fantasies over the cyberspace, yet. Else, conduct this election a billion times, Peter Obi, a character known for his extreme lies and tendency of creating chaos can't win election in a multi polar nigeria. An extremist with his extreme religious sentiments. Go back and read Soludo's letter to understand that it wasn't a rocket science to see through the shenanigans paraded by obi and his clueless crew.

Before the elections, I staked 10m against 1m and I won 🏆. My good friend lost a million naira.

2 Likes

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Penguin2: 6:49am On May 26, 2023
savcy:
This is a well-spinned conspiracy theory, but a conspiracy theory nonetheless. Nothing is further from the truth. Obi left the PDP when it became obvious that money was going to play a significant role in who emerges as flag-bearer, and Atiku, his "senior brother", was pretty clear about his choice of Okowa (whom he chose solely on the basis of his 'war chest' from day one) as V. P. He had nothing of an arrangement with anyone. This cheap attempt to tarnish his image is laughable.

Tinubu only profited from the simple math of subtraction that was the consequence of Obi's candidature. And if we're being fair, an election so flawed cannot even be a legitimate factor in discussing the outcomes of the last election cycle. So, I wouldn't be so bold as to even say Tinubu profited, because he may as well have come third, but we may never know. I mean, there had to be an infraction of process for him to emerge. He may be President, but we can't really use anything from that election to critically discuss anything tangible, because we're not even certain he won.

I share your position too.

I always ask myself, so if scholars are writing about the voting pattern of 2023 presidential election for academic purposes, they will write that Bola Tinubu won Rivers State?

We all know that would be a flawed research because Rivers people never voted Tinubu and it’s only INEC that would explain where they manufactured figures for him.

So, nobody can use the result of 2023 election for anything after it was viciously rigged to alter the wishes of the people. Same way Tinubu should not gloat of securing victory through the balkanization of PDP because we all know if votes counted he would be sitting in third position.

2 Likes

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Penguin2: 6:53am On May 26, 2023
gidgiddy:

How much would Tinubu give a billonaire like Obi to help him win elections? Theres somethings you hear and you wonder if those that believe it have a brain

If Tinubu sponsored Obi, why would Obi be at the tribunal today fighting Tinubu?

If Tinubu sponsored Obi, what is in it for Obi? How much will you be able to give a billionaire like Obi for him to travel all over Nigeria campaigning, just for another person to win?

Obi ran on his own merit to become President of Nigeria, same as others, and not because of anything to do with Tinubu

You don’t understand what they are saying…

No one is saying Tinubu paid Obi to leave PDP; even Tinubu knows he can’t buy Obi with any amount.

What they are saying is that Tinubu sent men who convinced Obi to leave PDP and stand for the election in another party; that he can win if he does.

Now, the intention of this men was to make sure PDP’s traditional votes is split between Atiku and Obi which would give Tinubu victory like they are claiming it did now.

1 Like

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by SalamRushdie: 6:55am On May 26, 2023
Hyper intelligent folks like me warned y'all about this a long long time ago but as usual UN no gree hear

3 Likes

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Penguin2: 7:00am On May 26, 2023
DiscoverID:
Of course, even my dog knows that Obi was a cog is atiku's wheel. He was used like a tissue paper he is to destroyed the only chance of booting apc out of office. Dumb, blind leading an online zombies exchanging wild fantasies over the cyberspace, yet. Else, conduct this election a billion times, Peter Obi, a character known for his extreme lies and tendency of creating chaos can't win election in a multi polar nigeria. An extremist with his extreme religious sentiments. Go back and read Soludo's letter to understand that it wasn't a rocket science to see through the shenanigans paraded by obi and his clueless crew.

Before the elections, I staked 10m against 1m and I won 🏆. My good friend lost a million naira.

Are you a blind Tinubu supporter or are you ready to have a conversation?

Because I would like to ask you, if your Tinubu and his men were so sure that Atiku and Obi being in different parties would grant him (Tinubu) victory, why did INEC had to switch off the IREV just to conjure numbers for Tinubu?

Why did INEC had to rig Rivers election so scandalously that what is on their portal is different from what they announced?

Obi won Lagos with over 900k votes but was almost halved to help Tinubu’s numbers. Same in Plateau and elsewhere.

Is that the kind of victory you are gloating about?
Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Penguin2: 7:06am On May 26, 2023
HacheNoire:

And the biggest loser now is Peter, Shame can’t allow him return to PDP, as that’s the only platform that can get him to presidency if he will ever be.

This guys know more than we know because they are in the inside.

So, Obi already knew that Atiku had concluded his plans to choose his running mate from the Southsouth and also zeroed in on Okowa. So even if Obi had stayed in PDP Atiku wouldn’t have chosen him as running mate.

Now, are you saying he should have just stayed in PDP and help use his popularity to win the election for PDP while Atiku and Okowa would be feeling like gods?
Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by seunmsg(m): 7:15am On May 26, 2023
unohbethel:
Uncle seunmsg is this really true cool

Looking at the final result of the election, it’s obvious Peter Obi was the major reason Tinubu won the election. PDP would have won if it was a straight APC vs PDP.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by garfield1: 7:23am On May 26, 2023
Penguin2:

Are you a blind Tinubu supporter or are you ready to have a conversation?

Because I would like to ask you, if your Tinubu and his men were so sure that Atiku and Obi being in different parties would grant him (Tinubu) victory, why did INEC had to switch off the IREV just to conjure numbers for Tinubu?

Why did INEC had to rig Rivers election so scandalously that what is on their portal is different from what they announced?

Obi won Lagos with over 900k votes but was almost halved to help Tinubu’s numbers. Same in Plateau and elsewhere.

Is that the kind of victory you are gloating about?

Where is the Lagos evidence? Are you not too mature for this rubbish

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by fergie001: 7:33am On May 26, 2023
Tinubu won the election on 26th May 2022, the day Obi left the PDP.

1 Like

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Kukutenla: 7:39am On May 26, 2023
Sometimes, myths and legends give ordinary men larger than life images, like Sango spitting fire.
Obi was never a pawn. If anyone was a pawn, it was Wike and his G-5. I'm sure even Tinubu in his widest dreams couldn't have imagined Obi getting 6m votes.
The real problem PDP had was the boisterous Wike. He delegitimized them in the eyes of neutral voters who wanted APC out.
Such voters flowed naturally towards Obi.
It had nothing to do with some phantom chess game.
Besides, the dude who made the claim was a failed gov aspirant in Oyo state. He was neither close enough to Tinubu, Obi or Utomi to know what transpired. I wonder why such people with tall tales are even given any attention at all.
Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by flokii: 7:48am On May 26, 2023
Obi I believe acted on his own will.. if not, why was he using religion and ethnicity to divide Nigerians?.

Tinubu realigned with the North not Pat Utomi and North are the reason he won. Stop overestimating Obi please.

1 Like

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Obaaderemi2: 7:52am On May 26, 2023
Penguin2:

This guys know more than we know because they are in the inside.

So, Obi already knew that Atiku had concluded his plans to choose his running mate from the Southsouth and also zeroed in on Okowa. So even if Obi had stayed in PDP Atiku wouldn’t have chosen him as running mate.

Now, are you saying he should have just stayed in PDP and help use his popularity to win the election for PDP while Atiku and Okowa would be feeling like gods?
Atiku knew obi would not deputize him again because the mantra then was that it was the turn of the Ibos. The fact is if obi had been on the ballot with Atiku there's no way Tinubu would have won with the way the stupid Buhari had messed up Tinubu's chances. It's possible Tinubu actually funded Obi's campaign without Obi's knowledge to make him a strong candidate who would destroy Atiku's chances in the South.

About rigging and violence and the likes, politicians are never comfortable with their abilities to win even when it's clear they're going to win. They'll still play underhanded games, even obi rigged in the East. Before election took place we knew APC would win and LP would come third. Are you saying you didn't know this? I can't believe a savvy person like you didn't know that.

Fact: Obi's emergence and strong showing helped Tinubu. Wether Tinubu planned it or it was just divine is unclear.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Parachoko: 7:59am On May 26, 2023
gidgiddy:

How much would Tinubu give a billonaire like Obi to help him win elections?

Who said Tinubu gave Obi money?

2 Likes

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Raheeqilmaktoom: 8:03am On May 26, 2023
gidgiddy:

You still don't get the point.

Obi needed not know who was behind whatever it is he was being led to, hell, he needn't know that he is being goaded into making certain decisions. Decisions that in the long run helped the other party as is visibly visible now.

Obi's candidature was a huge dent on PDP, he took votes that originally should have gone to PDP on a ratio of atleast 6:3, while APC consolidated it's foothold on its areas of strength - NW that bring in killer numbers where Obi is unknown, SW where the incoming hails from, NC that should have been atleast 60:40 to PDP and NE, PDP candidate's own base where Obi took some votes that would have gone to PDP and the APC not loosing any of it's traditional voters.

This is what happened when people say Obi was Tinubu's path to the presidency, what Obi himself and the mob don't understand.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Basic123: 8:10am On May 26, 2023
HacheNoire:

Obidients na mumu.a week after OBI decamp 2 Igbo girls came to me.We started discussing politics.One of them was lamenting on how OBI decamped, the other said he was happy.Me that I was Tinubu supporter was very happy deep inside me knowing fully well that Igbo are emotional people, they will all follow OBI because of anger.I was now convincing the other lady that was not happy with OBI decamping, that OBI decamp is a good way for Igbo to show their importance in PDP.I was doing all this to help Tinubu and it worked.

4 Likes

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by savcy(m): 8:14am On May 26, 2023
Penguin2:

I share your position too.

I always ask myself, so if scholars are writing about the voting pattern of 2023 presidential election for academic purposes, they will write that Bola Tinubu won Rivers State?

We all know that would be a flawed research because Rivers people never voted Tinubu and it’s only INEC that would explain where they manufactured figures for him.

So, nobody can use the result of 2023 election for anything after it was viciously rigged to alter the wishes of the people. Same way Tinubu should not gloat of securing victory through the balkanization of PDP because we all know if votes counted he would be sitting in third position.

Simple.
Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by gidgiddy: 8:22am On May 26, 2023
Raheeqilmaktoom:

You still don't get the point.

Obi needed not know who was behind whatever it is he was being led to, hell, he needn't know that he is being goaded into making certain decisions. Decisions that in the long run helped the other party as is visibly visible now.

Obi's candidature was a huge dent on PDP, he took votes that originally should have gone to PDP on a ratio of atleast 6:3, while APC consolidated it's foothold on its areas of strength - NW that bring in killer numbers where Obi is unknown, SW where the incoming hails from, NC that should have been atleast 60:40 to PDP and NE, PDP candidate's own base where Obi took some votes that would have gone to PDP and the APC not loosing any of it's traditional voters.

This is what happened when people say Obi was Tinubu's path to the presidency, what Obi himself and the mob don't understand.

But its not Obi's job to help PDP win, he no longer belonged to the Party.

Before elections, both PDP and APC wrote Peter Obi and the Labour party off. Today, the same people want us to believe that Obi was the deciding factor?

Those who voted APC were the deciding factor
Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by Raheeqilmaktoom: 8:39am On May 26, 2023
gidgiddy:

But its not Obi's job to help PDP win, he no longer belonged to the Party.

Before elections, both PDP and APC wrote Peter Obi and the Labour party off. Today, the same people want us to believe that Obi was the deciding factor?

Those who voted APC were the deciding factor

Obi doesn't belong to the PDP and owes the party maybe nothing, as you say.

However, his candidature was in the best interest of the APC, he divided PDPs votes and made the APC candidate winner, simple and ABC.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by IgboSomalia: 8:53am On May 26, 2023
gidgiddy:

Just look at how dumb someone can be. Analysing politics like an illiterate gala hawker.

When they say Obi was paid, you think it was direct bribery? This guy is so stupid.
It was done via proxy in the name of donation from anonymous Billionaires.

Na people like you they call headless mob. So very dumb.

3 Likes

Re: Was Obi Really A Pawn In Tinubu’s Chess Game? by gidgiddy: 9:03am On May 26, 2023
Raheeqilmaktoom:

Obi doesn't belong to the PDP and owes the party maybe nothing, as you say.

However, his candidature was in the best interest of the APC, he divided PDPs votes and made the APC candidate winner, simple and ABC.

If one man can divide PDP's votes, then PDP should forget it as they are supposed to bigger and greater than just one man

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Govt About To Arrest Oba's Witness / South East Is Landlocked On The Mud As Enugu/Nsukka Positions For A Naval Base / Abia, Like The Rest Of The SE Is Landlocked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.