Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,986 members, 7,817,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:29 PM

How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? (15686 Views)

Christmas In Nigerian Languages: Cultural Diversity / Which Of The Major Nigerian Languages Would You Love To Learn? / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Illegal1(m): 8:28pm On Jul 08, 2023
Fidecoo:

I can speak fluently Hausa, Ibo, Yoruba, Arabic, My dialect.
Then cut and join Idoma, Igalla, Hindu(India language)

omoh.......bros i hail ooh

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Illegal1(m): 8:40pm On Jul 08, 2023
dododawa1:
Who language HELP?
omoh.......no talk am ooh,language der epp ooh....

2 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Illegal1(m): 8:49pm On Jul 08, 2023
MrBroke:
None. Can't even speak my villiage dialect. All this different yeye tongue speaking is one big problem we have in this country.

omoh.........me and u nah dsame ooh

2 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Banbanna(m): 8:50pm On Jul 08, 2023
Even though it seems inevitable but why do you get so cocksure about it? Don't you have the slightest sense of culture and history at all? Nawao, so you just dey enjoy this cultural/language appropriation by the almighty English Language. I love the language though but not so much as to wanting my language/our languages to go extinct.
CartelKenneth:

by the way, nothing like bad parenting because it’s because of colonization that we all speak this language 80% of Nigeria youth speak English only it’s our official language and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Indigenous languages will die off and that cannot be stopped.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 9:16pm On Jul 08, 2023
CartelKenneth:

You mean many others will not be safe

Languages that most likely will survive another 100 years:

1. Hausa
2. Yoruba
3. Igbo
4. Fula
5. Kanuri
6. Efik-Ibibio
7. Igala
8. Idoma
9. Tiv
10. Berom
11. Egbirra
12. Nupe
13. Ekoi/Ejagham
14. Jukun
15. Anaang
16. Shuwa Arabic
17. Bariba
18. Ijaw
19. Bini
20. Esan
21. Urhobo-Isoko
22. Itsekiri
23. Ogoni
24. Gwari

10 languages will survive in Southern Nigeria and 14 (i.e. minus Yoruba) in Northern Nigeria.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 9:18pm On Jul 08, 2023
sunsweet33:

I agree with you about Yoruba and Hausa but Igbo are seriously lacking in that department.

In fact many see it as a badge of honour or a sign of sophistication that their child can’t speak Igbo.

They are happier to see their child speak perfect English than even one sentence of Igbo

Pathetic!

This, I am sure, is what Paul and Peter of P-Squared are like.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by DevilsEqual(m): 9:27pm On Jul 08, 2023
uglodoh:

Do not be surprised if Davido and Wizkid children can speak the language. Yoruba and Hausa languages are the only languages that may not easily go into extinction especially because of their high illiteracy level.
Many rich folks here in Lagos contract Yoruba teachers to teach their children at home. The parents communicate with the children in Yoruba although some of the children answer back in English.

High illiteracy level among Yoruba?
Seems you've always lived outside Nigeria, Aunty
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by uglodoh(f): 9:36pm On Jul 08, 2023
DevilsEqual:

High illiteracy level among Yoruba?
Seems you've always lived outside Nigeria, Aunty
I wanted to write especially among the hausas
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by DevilsEqual(m): 9:42pm On Jul 08, 2023
Maryam1234:
I can speak my dialect Igala.

Hausa
Yoruba(of course because I'm Igala grin)
Little Igbo because of our geographical location in Kogi East.
After my village na Enugu State,e pain me small that I can't speak Igbo fluently as much as I can speak hausa cry

I sabi speak English, Yes na Language e be wink

How closely related are these two languages, Yoruba and Igala language

Rate them on scale of 1-100
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by internationalman(m): 9:44pm On Jul 08, 2023
Banbanna:
It's such an unfortunate situation for the Edo lingua. But 𝐰é 𝐠𝐮𝐚 𝐳éé 𝐬𝐡𝐚?🤔

Baba why not. I started speaking Benin when I was still a toddler

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by DevilsEqual(m): 9:50pm On Jul 08, 2023
CartelKenneth:

English French and Chinese are the world's I l'y important and official languages sha
All others are counterfeit

How many non-chinese people speak Chinese

I know you added Chinese cause of the population of speaker but it isn't a widely spoken language by non-indigenes
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 10:02pm On Jul 08, 2023
abbiboy:

We don't care, the question is how many Nigeria dialect can u speak? ITK.
Lol! Frustrated idiot,why are you wailing louder than a banshee?
Idiot suffering from inferiority complex,does my knowing foreign languages in addition to Nigerian ones,threaten you?
Awww!
Don't worry, you will soon choke and develop coronary thrombosis and Low BP.
You are really sick in the head,oga.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Drbolie(m): 10:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
I'm an Igede man from Benue, I can speak Yoruba, housa, Tiv Idoma and small kedu ka imere
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Kyase(m): 10:16pm On Jul 08, 2023
bennyflipy:

grin

You're more chongai than me sef, kudos to you.
l

You are chongai ? Wow
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Maryam1234(f): 10:54pm On Jul 08, 2023
DevilsEqual:

How closely related are these two languages, Yoruba and Igala language

Rate them on scale of 1-100

I will rate them 90-100
Personally there's no Yoruba spoken around me I can't hear even though I haven't been to The South West before.

Individual level of assimilation differs, some think I'm Yoruba but if I tell them I'm Igala they will calm down...

I think we can easily hear but can't speak fluent Yoruba like the Yorubas and Okun does.

Note:
There's no Yoruba spoken around me that I won't hear but I'd rather reply you back in English language cry
All my Lagos driver's in my line of business speak Yoruba to me likewise some customers, sometimes I fell like being blunt.'Emi Oshomo Yoruba' but since I can hear them I just remain calm.
Nothing Spoil grin

Odaro Sir
Olorun Jiwa re o

Sai da Safi(Hausa) grin

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by bennyflipy(m): 11:02pm On Jul 08, 2023
Kyase:
l

You are chongai ? Wow
Yes
100%

One language I wished I put my ears to learn was Tiv.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Maryam1234(f): 11:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
Illegal1:

omoh.......no talk am ooh,language der epp ooh....

Speaking Hausa language dey EPP my business Wella, imagine me speaking some adage sef.

That was how I nearly landed Navy Job in 2017 because I claim I'm from Zamfara why not when I can speak their language but NYSC discharge certificate mess up all the opportunity in OJO.

See the certificate now after 8: years no job but we thank God for the hustle.

Language dey epp grin

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Maryam1234(f): 11:05pm On Jul 08, 2023
Drbolie:
I'm an Igede man from Benue, I can speak Yoruba, housa, Tiv Idoma and small kedu ka imere

grin grin
Kedu Maka ahia grin
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by seunayantokun(m): 11:19pm On Jul 08, 2023
Probz:

That’s fine but it’s nice when people try to unite on common/shared ground rather than letting tribalism get in the way and refusing to admit that there’s beautiful diversity in every corner of the country.

The way you've spoken here shows you need to be schooled somewhere with fasting and prayer.

In the first place, what is tribalism? Why is the term in your mouth and why do you see yourself in an environment where it can occur? Why is there no tribalism in the Western world but you have it in Nigeria? My friend, you have been zombified to think in a predetermined way so that it is easier to use you without tethering you.

As far as I'm concerned, every human is my neighbour and deserves my respect. I have no reason to discriminate against any human whatsoever neither should I be made subservient to anyone no matter what. The first task of every human is understanding who they are and how should they live their life within the boundaries of liberty ordained for them by God Who must remain the first in their life. The second task is love your fellow humans as yourself irrespective of who they are. That kind of your darling country doesn't help to facilitate those things. Outside, those two things, you will live the way some people want you to live and serve them till you leave the planet.

You see God made me a Yoruba man, put me in Yoruba land and surrounded me with all that I need to live a fulfilled life and satisfy the desire of God. Let me tell you no matter how much you gain from today's politics, you are a defeated creature juts like a caged animal. Finish! Germans have the best of life in Germany, the French live like in paradise on their own soil, and the English reign in England. Their cultures are thriving, their languages are spreading across the world to conquer more lands exonomically and politically. They don't think in a mother tongue and then struggle to translate or interprete in a foreign language like you and I do - the Chinese, the Japanese, the Arab, the Koreans, even the the Israelis and many others are not subject to the virus that put tribalism anthem in your mouth. They are free and developed, and are not on japa mode like you and other members of different nations fused together as Nigeria.

If you think you are going to gain anything from the current political dispensation in Nigeria and fail to open your eyes and think differently, please think of your unborn descendants who will definitely curse you tomorrow, because what you refuse to know they will know and they will not wish you well for failing to maintain a difference. Your fulfilment is in your own natural identity, language, culture, and land. Nations can come together and form a partnership, federation, confederation, or whatever you wish to call it, where they all derive mutual benefits but not like the albatross on your neck called Nigeria.

As it is today, you are a slave in the 1999 constitution-operated system called Nigeria.
Ẹni tí ó ru ẹrù tí kò mò, ìyá ń jẹ ẹ́.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Bizgold: 11:19pm On Jul 08, 2023
YORUBA
NUPE
HAUSA
SMALL SMALL IGBO
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by pargelenis(m): 11:22pm On Jul 08, 2023
CartelKenneth:

Studied in Paris for 3 years
And I had one sexy ivorian babe like that

Also they speak French in Northern Nigeria
Close to buhariz home(Niger républic)
Oh La La … you’ve had some cool educational experiences.
Yes, Niger is francophone. I agree with you, many African beauties de oh!
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Probz(m): 11:24pm On Jul 08, 2023
seunayantokun:

The way you've spoken here shows you need to be schooled somewhere with fasting and prayer.

In the first place, what is tribalism? Why is the term in your mouth and why do you see yourself in an environment where it can occur? Why is there no tribalism in the Western world but you have it in Nigeria? My friend, you have been zombified to think on a predetermined way so that it is easier to use you without tethering you.

As far as I'm concerned, every human is my neighbour and deserves my respect. I have no reason to discriminate against any human whatsoever neither should I be made subservient to anyone no matter what. The first task of every human is understanding who they are and how should they live their life within the boundaries of liberty ordained for them by God Who must remain the first in their life. The second task is love your fellow humans as yourself irrespective of who they are. That kind of your darling country doesn't help to facilitate those things. Outside, those two things, you will live the way some people want you to live and serve them till you leave the planet.

You see God made me a Yoruba man, put me in Yoruba land and surrounded me with all that I need to live a fulfilled life and satisfy the desire of God. Let me tell you no matter how much you gain from today's politics, you are a defeated creature juts like a caged animal. Finish! Germans have the best of life in Germany, the French live like in paradise on their own soil, and the English reign in England. Their cultures are thriving, their languages are spreading across the world to conquer more lands exonomically and politically. They don't think in a mother tongue and then struggle to translate or interprete in a foreign language like you and I do - the Chinese, the Japanese, the Arab, the Koreans, even the the Israelis and many others are not subject to the virus that put tribalism anthem in your mouth. They are free and developed, and are not on japa mode like you and other members of different nations fused together as Nigeria.

If you think you are going to gain anything from the current political dispensation in Nigeria and fail to open your eyes and think differently, please think of your unborn descendants who will definitely curse you tomorrow, because what you refuse to know they will know and they will not wish you well for failing to maintain a difference. Your fulfilment is in your own natural identity, language, culture, and land. Nations can come together and form a partnership, federation, confederation, or whatever you wish to call it, where they all derive mutual benefits but not like the albatross on your neck called Nigeria.

As it is today, you are a slave in the 1999 constitution-operated system called Nigeria.
Ẹni tí ó ru ẹrù tí kò mò, ìyá ń jẹ ẹ́.

Can you keep quiet and stop talking like a demented he-goat?

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Mathiasa(m): 11:27pm On Jul 08, 2023
Igala, idoma, Hausa, Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by seunayantokun(m): 11:31pm On Jul 08, 2023
Probz:

Can you keep quiet and stop talking like a demented he-goat?

Congratulations!
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Kyase(m): 12:19am On Jul 09, 2023
bennyflipy:

Yes
100%

One language I wished I put my ears to learn was Tiv.

Move to Benue and you will learn in 6 months
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by PattyMike(m): 12:47am On Jul 09, 2023
Yoruba and Ibibio fluently.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by cyrusmillz: 1:10am On Jul 09, 2023
Gamesmart:

Being proud of who you are, keeping your identity with dignity and not being a dumb wannabe (who thinks by not speaking your mother tongue or any Nigerian language makes you "civilised" or "cool" ) makes you a more valuable black person in general.

Bless you for this. I don't undestand what it is with the mordern age Nigerians that only speak english to their kids and totally neglecting their own language. Only God knows how they spread the stupid mentality that your child will speak bad english if you continue to speak your native language to the child.

The whites really fuked with the black man's brain, to the extent that blackman wants to lose his complete identity. As for me, I speak and write yoruba fluently with a little bit of hausa. All my kids will bear Yoruba names and will understand at least 1 Nigerian fluently.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Upcomingdad67: 1:18am On Jul 09, 2023
IJAW but I hear little yoruba and Edo .

I watch youruba movies alot

I will love to learn how to speak Hausa too I love that language I call it the big boys language 😉

I love it when they use words like Tor, Magana

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by cyrusmillz: 1:24am On Jul 09, 2023
CartelKenneth:

by the way, nothing like bad parenting because it’s because of colonization that we all speak this language 80% of Nigeria youth speak English only it’s our official language and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Indigenous languages will die off and that cannot be stopped.

LOL , you are very funny. I don't know where you're from but one thing I can tell you is that
Y oruba isn't dying in the next 50 years , neither is Hausa or Igbo . Check the data on the number of people who speak each of these languages and check the data on the languages that have phased out with the past century .... Do you know how many people will have to die within the next 50 years for any of these languages to " die" according to you .

Your comment reeks of self hate , you can speak english all you want but that won't make you an english man . So come to terms with reality and stop all the nonsense colonial mindset.

By the way , show the data source of 80% of Nigerian youths speaking "English only "

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by brainycaleb(m): 2:04am On Jul 09, 2023
marlow1962:
Pigin and igbo (I'm not main igbo)

I love to learn Yoruba and Hausa too.

Na wetin you dey talk sef? You're either Igbo or not Igbo! Una go just dey segregate unaself!

I speak fluent itsekiri and Yoruba(Ibadan) understands a bit of Bini(na pidgin we take grow for Benin and e go almost hard to see Benin blood wey sabi speak fluent Bini language for Uselu. E no hard to identify us with our strong pidgin accent but we good for spoken English die!) A bit of Igbo and an A1 zertifikat in Deutsch.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by MITCHELL96: 5:22am On Jul 09, 2023
Fab21:

Wow!
You mean you can speak those foreign languages fluently?

Those friends taught you ?

I wanna be a polyglot someday.
I've passion for languages.

Yeah, very good at it, even when we talk on video call or normal WhatsApp call, I use the language, Belmira speaks English very well but we don't communicate in that, we rather communicate in Portuguese, that's what helped me build up.

My bro that's studying history and international relations, I'm the one teaching him these 3 languages.

Learning languages is very good, Romelu Lukaku speaks 9 international languages or so and that's very good for him.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by MITCHELL96: 5:24am On Jul 09, 2023
Gamesmart:

You are a superstar!

Icon!

Learn your mother-tongue or a Nigerian language before learning any foreign language.

Thanks man, but I already listed it (Ibibio) the Akwaibomites language, I speak it very very well.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM / Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? / Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, Obi Of Onitsha On Restructuring, Igbo Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.