Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,564 members, 7,816,379 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? (15676 Views)

Christmas In Nigerian Languages: Cultural Diversity / Which Of The Major Nigerian Languages Would You Love To Learn? / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by optimusprime2(m): 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2023
I have a good knowledge of the 3 major languages however not fluent in any
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Twoclans(f): 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2023
I can speak 2 .If pigin is considered a language then it's three languages. cheesy cheesy cheesy

I wish I could speak Yoruba ,that is one language I won't mind learning .

2 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by urbobo20(m): 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2023
Urhobo Yoruba and ibo

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by 24SEVEN: 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2023
I specifically learnt how to speak Yoruba becos of Yoruba ladies. If you can speak Yoruba, their ladies will literally fvck you for free.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Magnumproperty: 12:58pm On Jul 08, 2023
Ojukwu of blessed memory can speak some foreign languages and major Nigeria languages.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Flamemignon1(m): 12:59pm On Jul 08, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:
I can understand Hausa and Nupe to an extent,as I did my Youth Service in Nupeland in Niger state.

But preferably,I understand and read French and Spanish, and focus more on them, because of their great value internationally.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by updatechange(m): 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2023
VinnyBaba:

You Lie.๐Ÿคจ

Currently, there are many Guys who CAN'T those languages u mentioned. sad
I know Many of them.

While the ones who know how to Speak it do NOT teach their Children.
E.g. Wizkid and Davido. I wonder if their children know to speak Yoruba. undecided

In 30 yrs time, ALL Nigerian languages will DIE OFF from the face of the earth. ๐Ÿ˜’

Dem no train this one well ๐Ÿง
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Flamemignon1(m): 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:
I can understand Hausa and Nupe to an extent,as I did my Youth Service in Nupeland in Niger state.

Beautiful
Ok

But preferably,I understand and read French and Spanish, and focus more on them, because of their great value internationally.

Good

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by sukkot: 1:01pm On Jul 08, 2023
mariahAngel:

As in!
It's the most beautiful Nigerian language.
Even speaking English with Hausa accent sounds beautiful.
pery peautipul. pipty pipe kobo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Likpata43(m): 1:01pm On Jul 08, 2023
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by 1Dray(m): 1:01pm On Jul 08, 2023
Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Kanuri, Shuwa Arab, Nigerian Patois, Pidgin, Jamaican Patois, English and French
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Roger3D(m): 1:02pm On Jul 08, 2023
Alexandersantos:
How i wish i can speak hausa.,that language dey sweet me no be small
It's actually one of the easiest Nigerian language to understand

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Flamemignon1(m): 1:02pm On Jul 08, 2023
1Dray:
Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Kanuri, Shuwa Arab, Nigerian Patois,
Beautiful

Pidgin, Jamaican Patois, English and French

Patois
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by DivineT: 1:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
I speak only Urhobo and English

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by ekwerendi(m): 1:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Topmaike007(m): 1:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
Na Yoruba (Ife) I hear and Igbo just because na Ife dem born me and my Oldman and all my siblings

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Patrioticman007(m): 1:03pm On Jul 08, 2023
Alexandersantos:
How i wish i can speak hausa.,that language dey sweet me no be small

If you can speak broken English you can speak Hausa, for Hausa is a combination of Arabic, Kanuri & other local languages.
It's the most simple language in Nigeria.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by yemilekan: 1:04pm On Jul 08, 2023
One one one
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Bobbiee: 1:05pm On Jul 08, 2023
English and Guosa. Guosa is an artificial language that borrows from several indigenous Nigerian and some west African languages. I'm not fluent, but can speak a thing or two. Due to the fact that I'm learning from text book, I'm sure my pronunciation is totally off. I hope they release it on Duolingo or some other learning platform

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by mariahAngel(f): 1:05pm On Jul 08, 2023
MITCHELL96:

So the way Buhari speaks his own English sweets you? Really? ๐Ÿ˜…

Hausa no sweet abeg.

From what I've read/heard, Buhari is Fulani.
That aside, have you heard his daughter Zarah speak? Her accent sounds pleasant.

(Although, I can't differentiate between the Hausa and Fulani language)

There's also this Maggi ad in Hausa, I could watch/listen to it all day.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:05pm On Jul 08, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:

And I bet you can't speak your mother-tongue.

The failure of modern African parenting and evidence of failure of black people.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by sukkot: 1:06pm On Jul 08, 2023
i understand like 10 igbo words ( nne, mmiri, nekwa, inukwa, ndi ala, nwanne, nwokem , just negodu ) and yoruba and egyptian hieroglypHs ( can read and write )

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by mariahAngel(f): 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2023
sukkot:
pery peautipul. pipty pipe kobo

I refuse to allow you convince me to change my mind, Sukkot. ๐Ÿ˜€
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2023
illicit:
I speak only Yoruba and Nigerian English

undecided

Good enough.

Many useless kids in Nigeria today only speak English.

They think they are funky, despite being raised to be lost second rate human beings.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by 1Dray(m): 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2023
Oricha79:
Hausa, Yoruba, kanuri, owo and Egbira
Borno resident

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:08pm On Jul 08, 2023
Vijuchoco:
3; Igbo, Esan and Yoruba

You are a great human being!

Your parents did well.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by sukkot: 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2023
mariahAngel:

I refuse to allow you convince me to change my mind, Sukkot. ๐Ÿ˜€
grin grin
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by erai30(m): 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2023
It's only Hausa language that you can speak which has benefit, suya go cheap, yam go cheap, anything you want to buy from a mall am is always cheaper once you speak Hausa.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by illicit(m): 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Good enough.

Many useless kids in Nigeria today only speak English.

They think they are funky, despite being raised to be lost second rate human beings.

NIGERIAN indigenous languages are getting lost day by day in places like PH, ABUJA, LAGOS....
shocked

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Gamesmart: 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2023
internationalman:
One thing I like about Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa is that you hardly see their tribesmen who don't know how to speak it. Even those that weren't brought up in their locality still know how to speak it..

But most of my my tribesmen can't even speak it including some that were born and brought up in their locality. I have many friends who have never lived elsewhere other than Edo State but can't speak the language..

It's only Edo State English (pidgin) is mostly used to communicate by the general public. But when I travel to other States, I can easily identify the State with my eye closed because they mostly communicate in their indigenous language...

Edo remains the heartbeat of Nigeria though.

Failed, useless and shameless parenting.

Their parents are a disgrace to their people.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by Exmilitant(m): 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:
What's the value of Spanish and French language save teaching? undecided
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Can You Speak? by 9jii(m): 1:10pm On Jul 08, 2023
Hausa and fulfulde

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, Obi Of Onitsha On Restructuring, Igbo Presidency / Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady? / Meanings Of Musical Instruments In Your Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.