Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) (28413 Views)

Rivers Youths Pull Down Wike Billboards In Port Harcourt (Video) / Wike Gifts A Little Boy A Bundle Of Naira Notes In Port Harcourt (Video) / Street Poll: They Don't Know Who Kwankwaso Is In Port Harcourt? (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Metrofox(m): 4:08pm On May 30, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Yes, it's cheaper INDIVIDUALLY to buy an SUV than to pay for approval. Just like it's "cheaper" for each individual to buy a small generator than to for everyone to contribute to provide infrastructure to get electricity to our homes.

now you know how inefficient it is to have 100 generators in one building? We travel outside and see condo apartments housing 1000 families in one building. will that be possible if they were thinking about living life like this? Do you enjoy your sleep at night in a compound with 100 generators running at the same time?
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by kiddkash(m): 4:10pm On May 30, 2023
Nahunger:

Did they buy the old stock at the new exchange rate
You still don't get it. After selling at old exchange rate, you won't have enough money to buy new stock. Because the price has gone up there by declaring insolvency.
Why do you think when reporting stock market goods, they say gold have appreciated or depreciated
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Metrofox(m): 4:11pm On May 30, 2023
Konjiboii:

Even the money is not the problem, but before you will get approved, might be your kids that will get it done

I'm worried about our collective destinies. We talk a lot about change but the minds are not ready yet. The black man is growing but at a very slow pace
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Nahunger(m): 4:14pm On May 30, 2023
kiddkash:

You still don't get it. After selling at old exchange rate, you won't have enough money to buy new stock. Because the price has gone up there by declaring insolvency.
Why do you think when reporting stock market goods, they say gold have appreciated or depreciated

Chai..
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Konjiboii: 4:15pm On May 30, 2023
Metrofox:

I'm worried about our collective destinies. We talk a lot about change but the minds are not ready yet. The black man is growing but at a very slow pace

It is troubling I tell you, and we are in for a very wild ride.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by 9jaRealist: 4:20pm On May 30, 2023
TheLoneCitizen:
The good thing about this start, it can't get any worse from here.

Citizen: it can’t get any worse…
Nigeria: did you just it can’t get worse? Hold my beer… grin grin grin
>
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Aboguede(m): 4:21pm On May 30, 2023
Metrofox:

Is it cheaper to pay for approval collectively or to buy an suv?

Don't mind that ignoramus grin

If landlords of any street come together and decided to fix the road to any extent, no body will ask any body for kobo bribe.

Imagine I a street of 100 houses, do u know the owners of those houses and where they work and the positions they are connected with.

The problem in Nigeria is that we as as humans will always choose to be seen as superior and suffer secretly than come together and achieve a good goal.

We wish ourselves the best today and forever

1 Like

Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Aboguede(m): 4:27pm On May 30, 2023
Metrofox:

That's right.

But thank God we are actually growing cox that's most important grin

The change will have to come from the government.

Mentality change is what Nigeria needs.

Lets see after 8years what the mind set will look like because if the mind does not change, the body does not.

I wish mu self good fortunes today and forever
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Aboguede(m): 4:36pm On May 30, 2023
Bia Mr. Dantata,
Abeg carry ur imaginations go meet ur types

U wan fix road since 16yrs aGo shocked
E bi like say u Don drink this morning cool

airsaylongcome:

So the government has to budge first. If they can totally do away with corruption by their officials then that would be a good start. I know how many times I have tried to interface with government for private intervention in fixing roads leading to my village. I'm talking at least 16 years. Would you consider that "giving up at the slightest challenge"?. I don't think so
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by marticeus(m): 4:42pm On May 30, 2023
A bad and very deep ominous way to start a new administration, it has shown that they lack tact and understanding. Talk they say is cheap and very easy to say it than have it done. They have triggered energy and soon to follow, foreign exchange crisis by unnecessary pronouncements.
They have ultimately dug a pit for themselves and how they will get out of it, nobody knows. I see this administration struggling for the next four years to get themselves out of this mess.
We are still suffering the effects of IBB's policy of allowing the exchange rate of Naira to be determined by market forces when the negative effects was not put into consideration.
Good luck Presido BAT
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by airsaylongcome: 4:54pm On May 30, 2023
Aboguede:
Bia Mr. Dantata,
Abeg carry ur imaginations go meet ur types

U wan fix road since 16yrs aGo shocked
E bi like say u Don drink this morning cool

My village together with surrounding villages have been pushing to get the government to allow us do some intervention work on the road for at least 16 years. And I have been party to all of that interfacing with government. I don't have the funds to do it alone, but I, working as an Exco of the community development Union have been able to harness people to contribute funds towards fixing the road. And each time we have approached governments, which has been multiple times in the last 16 years, it has always been met with a demand for a huge bribe, way more than the funds that have even been mobilized. I'm not a Dantata or a Dangote with unlimited wealth, but I am very hands on with seeking the development of my village.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by airsaylongcome: 4:57pm On May 30, 2023
Metrofox:

now you know how inefficient it is to have 100 generators in one building? We travel outside and see condo apartments housing 1000 families in one building. will that be possible if they were thinking about living life like this? Do you enjoy your sleep at night in a compound with 100 generators running at the same time?

My work is mostly at night so I often need to be awake when most people have their gens on. I don't like th noise but it's a tolerable disturbance. Most people ha e their gen off in the morning when I go to sleep. My point is not about justifying the generators. I'm saying government should fix the power issue in the country and watch the petrol subsidy die a natural death.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by airsaylongcome: 5:01pm On May 30, 2023
vanitybutiwanti:
Nigerians complain about everything. What are you on about? Irrespective of when you feel the subsidy should be removed, the greedy sellers will still act the same way they are acting now because according to you it's 'business'

But it is the truth. It's "business". If the "greedy" sellers did not have a very high demand for their product would they "over price" their products? If there was power/electricity all over the country and people did not need to power their small generators would there be a high demand for petrol? When face masks was in high demand did the sellers not hike their price? Today when demand has crashed can they sell at the ridiculous prices they were selling at? A lot of people see rational business behaviour as "wicked sellers". It's not about being wicked. It's the default behaviour of humans. If you have a product that is in demand, you will continue to raise your prices until the market refuses to buy. That's not wickedness. That's rationality
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by babydioku(f): 5:06pm On May 30, 2023
Mumu tinubu sending panic into the market with his dirty mouth
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Dicado: 5:09pm On May 30, 2023
This is what happens when a dead government is elected
Sageez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1joKUeXOTc

See pictures and video of some filling stations in Obio/Akpor lga this morning.

Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Popesuccess(m): 5:43pm On May 30, 2023
hisexcellency34:
Nigerians are evil to themselves. Immediately the new president made the announcement, all the fuel stations changed their prices
That is where he needs to stamp is his authority and put everybody on line. He should not act weak like Buhari.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by vanitybutiwanti: 5:53pm On May 30, 2023
airsaylongcome:

But it is the truth. It's "business". If the "greedy" sellers did not have a very high demand for their product would they "over price" their products? If there was power/electricity all over the country and people did not need to power their small generators would there be a high demand for petrol? When face masks was in high demand did the sellers not hike their price? Today when demand has crashed can they sell at the ridiculous prices they were selling at? A lot of people see rational business behaviour as "wicked sellers". It's not about being wicked. It's the default behaviour of humans. If you have a product that is in demand, you will continue to raise your prices until the market refuses to buy. That's not wickedness. That's rationality
There's nothing any government can do to pacify Nigerians, during the build up to the elections, the major frontrunners agreed to do away with subsidy, it has been done now and Nigerians are pontificating and postulating online. We are spending almost 100% of our revenue on debt servicing so where will the country get cash to fix electricity in such a short time? Many of you are not realistic, is it not best to do away with an issue that has lingered for over 10 years.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by OChimex: 5:55pm On May 30, 2023
hisexcellency34:
Nigerians are evil to themselves. Immediately the new president made the announcement, all the fuel stations changed their prices

Of course they are. But on this, it’s Tinibu’s fault. That statement was reckless and hasty. Mind you, businesses react to speculations and political statements anywhere in the world. Same way Economic powers carry weight too. Example, one tweet from Elon Musk on Crypto, can skyrocket the price of coins.
Anyways, people always panick because what if you sell your fuel at 100 naira and go back again to buy, it’s now 1k, which money you go take buy am?
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by nnadychuks(m): 6:00pm On May 30, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Nwannem, (I'm not Igbo though) you got your business lessons from Onitsha main market. Real life lessons, not theory classes in a University
There are successful businessmen in main market. What’s your point?
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by airsaylongcome: 6:09pm On May 30, 2023
nnadychuks:

There are successful businessmen in main market. What’s your point?

You didn't see my comment as a compliment? Okay, no worries
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Fujiyama: 7:34pm On May 30, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Have you ever tried to fix roads in this country? From your personal funds? You will be shocked to find out that you need government approval to do so. And people within the government will demand huge bribes for that. So if you had say a billion to fix the road, with bribes it will cost you 3bn. And that doesn't include the cost of maintaining and keeping the roads motorable after they have been built. Any rational person would rather go for the cheaper option of buying an SUV instead of spending an endless amount of money bribing government officials

^^^
Years ago, the road in front of (or was it behind?) Mobil's HQ in Victoria Island was an eyesore. I asked why the local government had abandoned such a high traffic, high profile road and never got a reasonable answer. I later heard that Mobil had volunteered to fix the road - only for local and state government officials to refuse the request. Apparently, the officials wanted some gratification - some accounts had it that the officials wanted Mobil to release the money to them directly. Well...the story has it that Mobil refused to play ball and so the road was left to rot for years. undecided

And yet every Friday and Sunday we disturb the peace, claiming we are praying to God. We also condemn atheists and agnostics as heathen scum who should be avoided at all costs. undecided

Yeye dey boom.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Dareal90s(m): 10:43pm On May 30, 2023
ursullalinda:

And in your own thinking this is the best way to remove it....smh...People will always act as there leaders
How best do you want it removed? Even your Peter Obi and Atiku planned removing subsidy immediately they become the president. So kindly explain how best to remove it.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by ursullalinda(f): 10:47pm On May 30, 2023
Dareal90s:

How best do you want it removed? Even your Peter Obi and Atiku planned removing subsidy immediately they become the president. So kindly explain how best to remove it.

When a failure leads a nation...his subjects are expected to act alike...may God deliver us from this calamity.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Dareal90s(m): 10:53pm On May 30, 2023
ursullalinda:

When a failure leads a nation...his subjects are expected to act alike...may God deliver us from this calamity.
You were asked to give a tip on how best subsidy can be removed but you decided to dribble yourself, better face reality, nothing concern God with government policy.
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Love800(m): 6:33am On May 31, 2023
Sir pls wat is subsidy. I dont mean to insult u o.

I just want to learn. Good morning
lebron7:

What are you even saying
'Dangote was never going to operate his refinery with subsidy, otherwise he would go broke.'
Do you even know what subsidy is?
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Love800(m): 6:42am On May 31, 2023
Pls wat is subsidy?

I want to learn
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by lebron7(m): 7:31am On May 31, 2023
Love800:
Sir pls wat is subsidy. I dont mean to insult u o.

I just want to learn. Good morning
Good morning
So let's say in your community there are few cassava processors but the people there really need garri, the next best thing would be to buy/Import from another village, yeah?

Now the logistics would be added to the selling price, understand?

Now garri would increase from 30naira per cup to 55 naira per cup. Your king sees that the people in his village would not be able to feed well and he says the community funds would be used to make it cheaper by paying 20naira for each cup from that community fund.

So now garri is going to be 35 naira. Not bad, right? Now the problems arise when consumption of garri increases and the community funds that would have been used to make better garri processing plants and good roads are used to subsidize the cost of garri gotten from another community. Don't forget as the consumption increases the community pays more.

Let's add corruption also; the community doesn't buy the garri directly but pays to the traders that buy from another community. Now a trader can bring in garri and get the subsidy money but take it to another community where he/she can sell at a higher price, some would say they brought 5 bags of garri meanwhile they brought 1 thereby costing the community funds that could be used for better things.

Do you understand now?
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Love800(m): 7:48am On May 31, 2023
Yea i understand

So subsidy means when govt makes price of something low by paying some quater to it. Am i right? And dat money suppose to be use to maintain or build new things. Am i also right?
lebron7:

Good morning
So let's say in your community there are few cassava processors but the people there really need garri, the next best thing would be to buy/Import from another village, yeah?

Now the logistics would be added to the selling price, understand?

Now garri would increase from 30naira per cup to 55 naira per cup. Your king sees that the people in his village would not be able to feed well and he says the community funds would be used to make it cheaper by paying 20naira for each cup from that community fund.

So now garri is going to be 35 naira. Not bad, right? Now the problems arise when consumption of garri increases and the community funds that would have been used to make better garri processing plants and good roads are used to subsidize the cost of garri gotten from another community. Don't forget as the consumption increases the community pays more.

Let's add corruption also; the community doesn't buy the garri directly but pays to the traders that buy from another community. Now a trader can bring in garri and get the subsidy money but take it to another community where he/she can sell at a higher price, some would say they brought 5 bags of garri meanwhile they brought 1 thereby costing the community funds that could be used for better things.

Do you understand now?
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by lebron7(m): 7:51am On May 31, 2023
Love800:
Yea i understand

So subsidy means when govt makes price of something low by paying some quater to it. Am i right? And dat money suppose to be use to maintain or build new things. Am i also right?
Correct
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by Love800(m): 7:56am On May 31, 2023
Tank u i appreciate.

But i want get a clearer picture on ur last paragraph

When the trader is selling stuff at a higher price in another village after collecting the subsidy money, cant the villagers tell dat there is already subsidy nd they should not believe the trader because he is telling lies?

lebron7:

Correct
Re: Subsidy: Queue In Port Harcourt (video,pictures) by lebron7(m): 8:10am On May 31, 2023
Love800:
Tank u i appreciate.

But i want get a clearer picture on ur last paragraph

When the trader is selling stuff at a higher price in another village after collecting the subsidy money, cant the villagers tell dat there is already subsidy nd they should not believe the trader because he is telling lies?

Law of demand and supply
In this scenario the price is already high in the other village and they don't have subsidy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

3 Months Ultimatum: Reno Omokri Mocks Northern Youths, Praises Nnamdi Kanu / Oduduwa Republic: “We Will Poison Igbos And Hausas” - Adeyinka Grandson (Video) / Boko Haram Kills A Soldier In Damaturu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.