Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

Federal Job Or Private Job - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Federal Job Or Private Job (13403 Views)

Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? / Why Do Doctors Start Federal Job On Level 12? / Private Job Or Govt. Job (advise Pls) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by flokii: 12:53pm On May 31, 2023
@OP Take the 500K job and build your savings.
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by IGBOGENE27(m): 12:59pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:

I no dey whine you, it's the truth... I have both offer of employment as I dey. I am 41yrs old married with kids but lost my job about 2-3yrs ago ran into debts and many financial problems. So I have been living a terrible life with children until God now gave me these two offers. But I just want to get things right this time, I can't afford to make any mistake this time

There's no comparison between 500k and 95k pay jobs.

Working in a standard privates organization brings room for growth and will at the long run, guarantee your job mobility to a bigger firm. Just bear in mind that the value of 95k today, is like 60k in 1st quarter of 2022. Therefore, living on a salary of 95k with your family, will still look as if you are jobless.

If I were in your shoes, I ll go for the 500k job, save some money within 3 years and invest in other ventures.

I wish you Good luck in your decision making process.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by mikeapollo: 12:59pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:
I just got two jobs:
1. Federal Hospital Job - ₦95,000 monthly
2. General Manager of a subsidiary of a big pharmaceutical company - ₦500,000 monthly.

I have been out of job for 2yrs before these employments, I have really suffered that in those 2years, where my family have disowned cos I have been so poor and hopeless.

Now I want to make the right choice, which job should I pick cos I'm also thinking of japa very soon

You have the answers already:
Take the 500K job, but make sure you restrict your budget as if you are taking 95k per month.
That would enable you to save very well and invest or travel.

If you are already considering the possibility of taking the 95k job, then it means you could survive on it, so the extra 400k should go into serious savings/investments over the next few years and you would find your status gradually changed. Beware of things that could snatch the money from you.!

4 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by ocelot2006(m): 1:02pm On May 31, 2023
Chief, take the N500k job and plan your life. Pensioners are SUFFERING

3 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Juliearth(f): 1:02pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:
I just got two jobs:
2. General Manager of a subsidiary of a big pharmaceutical company - ₦500,000 monthly.

I have been out of job for 2yrs before these employments, I have really suffered that in those 2years, where my family have disowned cos I have been so poor and hopeless.

Now I want to make the right choice, which job should I pick cos I'm also thinking of japa very soon

Take the private job and save/invest aggressively. Note that the big picture should be self-development, and having a huge backup stash incase the job goes south. Do not fail to do your absolute best at the job so you can get more promotions.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Raxxye(m): 1:03pm On May 31, 2023
Private 500k, pls!

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Watinhapen(m): 1:05pm On May 31, 2023
As a 41 years old married man with kids, I wonder why you will have jobs of 95k and 500k and still be asking which to go for. Or you just want to show us that you have a job that pays as much as 500k? Go for the 95k since you’re confused. You want small money abi. Is 95k money to you right now?? Go for the 95k o since you don’t know what you want.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by nandyz(m): 1:05pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:
I just got two jobs:

The main thing in all is money..

Bros, go for the private firm..
That is all

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Pravedk: 1:05pm On May 31, 2023
I don't like giving my opinion on some of these things but I have worked as federal worker and as a company worker so let me give you my free advise

First, is the 500k gross or net? Anything less than 250k go for the govt job. But let me honest with you, you are at disadvantage to go for the government job. What you need right now is more money than security at 41.

I will not advise anyone to join government work IF you don't have the prospect of becoming a director. Forget it, some directors in Federal government jobs are balling.

You have less than 20 years in service. Only multinationals will pay 500k net and above mostly and most times their jobs is secured because they have laid down procedures for sacking anyone.

I have worked at both ends. I was the only one that worked in govt from my house- and I am the poorest.

At best if you join govt you are retiring as an AD. But if you can plan well with your 500k for 5 years you will be set for life. The thing is - do you have experience turning money around to make a profit?

If your answer is affirmative, take the 500k job
Else, take govt job and sweat it out. Govt job may also give you more free time to raise your kids and dey touch your wife.

At the end of the day, na your life. Your decision.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Kobicove(m): 1:07pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:

For a federal Government job as medical worker, no matter your other qualifications they will start with you from level 7 and the pay is 95k monthly. I understand your point anyway about japa but I'm just scared of job security in private sector ( I can just be sacked after 2 months for whatever flimsy excuse) knowing I have been at home for 2 years without job

Find out what happened to the previous General Manager of the pharmaceutical company before you accept that job if you're so concerned about job security

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by AKWATGOLD1(m): 1:12pm On May 31, 2023
Kindly grow organically.
thelords4u:
I just got two jobs:

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by obayendo1010(m): 1:16pm On May 31, 2023
Please go for federal job you might get stable enough after A year and reapply for private Job of same standard....

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by sageb: 1:38pm On May 31, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
You have long term plans to japa and you are contemplating a 95k job. You are a joker.

Omo, the guy is bemused.
He should accept the private job of 500k and save up so that in 1-2years time he will leave for greener pastures abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Jamahyel(m): 1:42pm On May 31, 2023
you dey even answer him.
oluwaseyi0:
500,000 vs 95,000
1.14million a year compared to 6million a year
1.14 million a year compared to 1.5 million in 3 months

you must be mad for asking this question
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Hisbah(f): 1:48pm On May 31, 2023
I'm a federal worker but if I'm you I'll go for the private job and save money to start my own business.

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by zeenaman: 1:51pm On May 31, 2023
If I were you, i will not think twice. Private sector is the goal.
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Reelz: 2:13pm On May 31, 2023
Take the both n sweat it out..
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by achimendy(m): 2:14pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:
I just got two jobs:

Take that number 2 so you can gather cash sharply and japarize out of this f****king country.

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by hakym619(m): 2:29pm On May 31, 2023
lavylilly:
My son accept that federal job anyday.
Hnd and Bsc for federal job dey get same level 7

For them to even call you for interview mean say you have been employed already. Interview for federal job na just to fulfill all righteousness. Because they hardly put federal job vacancy on advert. Which means for you to be called for interview then you know principal officer in that institution
My son as you dey like this so, them don already send your name go Abuja.

Your offer of temporary appointment letter will come with ease
Followed by regularisation letter
Then confirmation letter ( once those three letters arrive ehnnnnn. My son you be chairman)
You will get your promotion every three years with ease
Annual leave is sure
No body will ever threaten you with sack.
Federal Staff are migrating into integrated payroll system so your salary will be complete without any deductions from Union
Infact you will be growing academically
Because you can further your education. By applying for study leave with pay or no pay

Your hazard allowance na bomb

My son as you dey get more certificate and qualifications
Then the institution go dey upgrade you
And you go dey request for conversion from one department to another as you wish, if you really be the serious type then you can build your house in 4-6yrs

@bolded , this is after about how many years ?
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by ajaoibrahim(m): 2:34pm On May 31, 2023
Seek God's direction, then check the advantages and disadvantages of both
In a nutshell I would go for the federal one and develop the career and make money aside

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by ukeme200(m): 2:38pm On May 31, 2023
OP, follow this advise. He has said everything I had in mind to advise you.

I'm a federal worker in the aviation industry on Level 9. Everything I have achieved since I started working in 2016 is through my side hustle. The salary from government can't even feed my 2 year old daughter for a month talkless of paying my rent and settling other bills. Once I hit 10 years on the job, I plan to Japa because the system is nothing to write home about. You won't believe we have not been paid May 2023 salary because of technical glitches from the CBN.

Bottom line? Grab the 500K job with your full chest!

Pravedk:
I don't like giving my opinion on some of these things but I have worked as federal worker and as a company worker so let me give you my free advise

First, is the 500k gross or net? Anything less than 250k go for the govt job. But let me honest with you, you are at disadvantage to go for the government job. What you need right now is more money than security at 41.

I will not advise anyone to join government work IF you don't have the prospect of becoming a director. Forget it, some directors in Federal government jobs are balling.

You have less than 20 years in service. Only multinationals will pay 500k net and above mostly and most times their jobs is secured because they have laid down procedures for sacking anyone.

I have worked at both ends. I was the only one that worked in govt from my house- and I am the poorest.

At best if you join govt you are retiring as an AD. But if you can plan well with your 500k for 5 years you will be set for life. The thing is - do you have experience turning money around to make a profit?

If your answer is affirmative, take the 500k job
Else, take govt job and sweat it out. Govt job may also give you more free time to raise your kids and dey touch your wife.

At the end of the day, na your life. Your decision.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Brownshoe: 2:40pm On May 31, 2023
Op hope say no be cruise? Which pharm coy go pay u that in Nigeria , manager not director o.
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by toprealman: 2:47pm On May 31, 2023
lavylilly:
My son accept that federal job anyday.
Hnd and Bsc for federal job dey get same level 7

For them to even call you for interview mean say you have been employed already. Interview for federal job na just to fulfill all righteousness. Because they hardly put federal job vacancy on advert. Which means for you to be called for interview then you know principal officer in that institution
My son as you dey like this so, them don already send your name go Abuja.

Your offer of temporary appointment letter will come with ease
Followed by regularisation letter
Then confirmation letter ( once those three letters arrive ehnnnnn. My son you be chairman)
You will get your promotion every three years with ease
Annual leave is sure
No body will ever threaten you with sack.
Federal Staff are migrating into integrated payroll system so your salary will be complete without any deductions from Union
Infact you will be growing academically
Because you can further your education. By applying for study leave with pay or no pay
Your hazard allowance na bomb

My son as you dey get more certificate and qualifications
Then the institution go dey upgrade you
And you go dey request for conversion from one department to another as you wish, if you really be the serious type then you can build your house in 4-6yrs

Taking from a failed system. Take, take take!

5 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by shedy03(m): 2:53pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:

I no dey whine you, it's the truth... I have both offer of employment as I dey. I am 41yrs old married with kids but lost my job about 2-3yrs ago ran into debts and many financial problems. So I have been living a terrible life with children until God now gave me these two offers. But I just want to get things right this time, I can't afford to make any mistake this time
The 500k job abeg. Will help u clear up ur debts within good time and begin to start saving for ur japa project.
God help you.

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by TheBTCinvestor: 3:08pm On May 31, 2023
BrighterThanDay:
Hmmmn OP if you take that federal job, Mark this date, you will regret it for the rest of your life. You have no idea what we federal workers are facing. We are entitled to certain allowances but we don't get them. We can barely even feed not to talk of saving to start a business. Are you aware that this month, no federal worker has been paid due to glitches in CBN. I have a very sure opportunity to leave this country but I can't even get 800k to process it, loans everywhere. Meanwhile I once had a private job where I earned 250k and I was leaving way better than this, just imagine how you'll live with 500k and even save enough to japa.
That confusion you are having right now is from the pit of hell. Make the right choice this time around for the sake of your kids o

Me too o iv not been paid choi...
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by emmykk(m): 3:18pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:

I m 43 and working at a federal poly with pay of 100K but if I were you I will go for the 500K job ,save and leave the country.

If you are able to stay in the private job for a year that is over 6M but the Federal will be 1M.

If you plan to say in Nigeria for long choose the federal job as some one have advice,there is freedom and certain of job.

If you are ambitious choose the private and be saving and leave any time.

It is a hard decision Sha but keep consultanting

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Chidolalar: 3:38pm On May 31, 2023
Godtemi:
LET ME GIVE YOU A GODLY ADVICE.

1. REMEMBER THAT THE 500K IS GROSS, HENCE AFTER NET, IT WOULD BE LIKE 300K PLUS.

2. ACCEPT IT, AND KEEP MANAGING YOUR LIFE JUST HAS YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING WHEN YOU HAVE NO JOB FOR 2 YEARS. WITH THIS, YOU CAN HAVE A GOOD SAVING. PLEASE, NEVER SHOW OFF.

3. CHANGE YOUR MINDSET, NEVER START A JOB BELIEVING YOU WILL BE SACK. HAVE A MINDSET THAT YOU WILL DO YOU BEST AND HAD VALUE TO YOURSELF AND THE COMPANY.

I APPLIED THIS WISDOM TO MY LIFE VIA THE HELP OF HOLY SPIRIT, AND FROM A VILLAGE TO LAGOS, TO EUROPE, AND NOW CANADA PERMANENTLY.

DESPITE THAT I AND MY WIFE EARN A BETTER MANAGERIAL SALAY HERE IN CANADA. WE ONLY HAVE 1 CAR, AND IT'S A USED CAR. WE COOK OUR FOOD. WE ONLY BUY FAST FOODS ON SATURDAY. WE EAT GOOD FRUITS AND NIGERIA FOOD EVERY DAY. I AM STILL USING THE CLOTHES I HAD SINCE 3-4 YEARS AGO.
THE SAME PHONE I HAD BEEN USING 5 YEARS AGO.

WERE WE GET IT WRONG IS THAT WE DO BELIEVE THAT WHEN WE SHOW OFF IS WHEN PEOPLE BELIEVE WE RE VALUABLE.

KEEP A LOW KEY, SAVE AND INVEST, HELP THE POOR, YOUR COMMUNITY, ENJOY YOUR TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY. DON'T DO DRUGS, STAY AWAY FROM FRAUD. WALK IN THE WAY OF GOD. TRUST ME, THIS IS A GOOD SECRET OF LIVING HAPPILY,HEALTHY WITH PEACE OF MIND.

HENCE, TAKE THE 500K JOB AND FOLLOW MY ADVICE.

ONE LAST THING APART FROM DOING MY JOB DILIGENTLY IS MALACH 3:10

Pls can u connect me on how get a well paid job or travel out to Canada or any European country and have a well paid job over there.
I like your lifestyle
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by Chidolalar: 3:47pm On May 31, 2023
ukeme200:
OP, follow this advise. He has said everything I had in mind to advise you.

I'm a federal worker in the aviation industry on Level 9. Everything I have achieved since I started working in 2016 is through my side hustle. The salary from government can't even feed my 2 year old daughter for a month talkless of paying my rent and settling other bills. Once I hit 10 years on the job, I plan to Japa because the system is nothing to write home about. You won't believe we have not been paid May 2023 salary because of technical glitches from the CBN.

Bottom line? Grab the 500K job with your full chest!

So how did u get d money to start your side hustle
Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by thelords4u: 3:52pm On May 31, 2023
wunmi590:

Boss, in as much as I like federal government job because of the job security, I would advice you take the 500k job, since you have been out of job for like 2years, and uou go don broke gan.....

At least in 2month from that 500k job, you will save like 600k, if you are not a big spender...

But please make sure you make your research well, before you take that 500k job, because one man business, their name is sack and hire.

Your last sentence is exactly my fear.... One man biz, he can decide to sack anytime at will

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by ngwababe(f): 4:00pm On May 31, 2023
thelords4u:

For a federal Government job as medical worker, no matter your other qualifications they will start with you from level 7 and the pay is 95k monthly. I understand your point anyway about japa but I'm just scared of job security in private sector ( I can just be sacked after 2 months for whatever flimsy excuse) knowing I have been at home for 2 years without job

If your japa isn't urgent, pick federal job. Apart from the salary, you go still get small small runs wey go dey give you money for the office, you still have time for yourself with side hustle and you go still japa still dey collect your salary if you play your card well.

Infact if you rugged, collect the two jobs.

1 Like

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by thelords4u: 4:03pm On May 31, 2023
Kellyewoma:
It's better you go for the federal govt job. The advantage is that, you have job security, you will have enough time or freedom to engage in other businesses that can fetch you money.and if there's any season you didn't get much money from your business, you can fall back or rely on your normal monthly salary, you can still travel abroad when you grow to a certain level in the federal work, you have anough freedom to further your education either in Nigeria or abroad, you will grow to the level of director as you get your promotions every three year. Unlike the govt work, if you chose the other job, you will enjoy 500k every month at the begining but your job security is not guaranteed, you can be fired at anytime. And if that happens you will go back to where you are coming from. Unlike the govt work, You will not have time to do other businesses, you need to understand that salary alone is not enough to take care of family and leave a wealthy life except you want to leave an average life. if not, You need to engage in businesses to make enough cash. Apply wisdom. Opportunity comes but ones.

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. I would definitely consider everything you just mentioned critically... One of my fear based on my past experiences is the pressure that comes with one man biz and how they are quick to sack especially if the biz isn't going as they wanted temporarily. I already have other biz outlined that I want to do personally if I shld pick the govt job. I'm already 41yrs and I may not be getting to the role of Director before retirement age plus I really want to japa and the 500k can help me gather enough money quicker to foot the bills.
Nevertheless, I still have about 2-3weeks to decide which one to pick... Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Re: Federal Job Or Private Job by thelords4u: 4:11pm On May 31, 2023
BrighterThanDay:
Hmmmn OP if you take that federal job, Mark this date, you will regret it for the rest of your life. You have no idea what we federal workers are facing. We are entitled to certain allowances but we don't get them. We can barely even feed not to talk of saving to start a business. Are you aware that this month, no federal worker has been paid due to glitches in CBN. I have a very sure opportunity to leave this country but I can't even get 800k to process it, loans everywhere. Meanwhile I once had a private job where I earned 250k and I was leaving way better than this, just imagine how you'll live with 500k and even save enough to japa.
That confusion you are having right now is from the pit of hell. Make the right choice this time around for the sake of your kids o

Wow... Thanks for this advice. You have hit certain buttons in me with this

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

House Of Representatives Intervenes In Diamond Bank Staff Retrenchment Dispute / Why Are The Indians Taking All Our Jobs Away From Us In Our Own Country? / Who Is Your Role Model?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.