Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) (2189 Views)

How Obi Set New Standard For African Politicians — Ghanaian Cleric, Kwadwo / 2019: My Question Concerning Atiku/peter Obi's Intended Governance / Breaking: Oshimole Holds World Press Conference,insists On Saraki's Removal-pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by Penguin2: 7:01pm On May 31, 2023
Since the inaugural speech of President Tinubu where he declared that “subsidy is gone”, Nigeria has been thrown into a frenzy and Nigerians subjected to untold hardship that they didn’t envisage would hit them in the very first day of a new administration.

While everyone, including myself, agrees that subsidy needs to go, how it is removed and what comes after the removal has been the bone of contention.

In defense of the president, his supporters has been bandying about the narrative that all three major presidential candidates of Atiku, Obi and Tinubu promised to remove the unsustainable fuel subsidy, and that one of the president’s opponents, Peter Obi, promised to do it “immediately”. But that’s a false narrative.

In a tweet he made on 15th November, 2022, the Labour Party Presidential candidate in the 2023 presidential election, Peter Obi, outlined the step by step breakdown of how he was going to go about subsidy removal.

He stated that he would first remove 50% of what government pays in subsidy while investing in schemes to cushion the effect of the action. Again he talked about issuing licenses to modular refineries to ensure local refining of petroleum products which would be priced in Naira and not dollars.

If I’m allowed to extrapolate, I would guess that Obi intended that when local sufficiency has been achieved, then government would then withdraw the remaining 50% that it would retain in subsidy payment.

So, you see that the people likening the action of the president to what Obi had also intended to do are not being sincere as their is a world of difference between how Obi intended to go about subsidy removal and how the president is currently going about it.

Nlfpmod
Mynd44

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by OloYeOfEgbE: 7:02pm On May 31, 2023
Hmmm...

But na politician too and he dey decamp too well well..shebi?

2 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by HacheNoire: 7:02pm On May 31, 2023
Peter is not trustworthy.

He is not a man of his words and very cunning

It’s glaring he is trying to make a U-turn from his earlier statement.

I congratulate all Nigerians for not falling for this fraud.

13 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by buhariguy(m): 7:05pm On May 31, 2023
The 50% that is not in the budget.
Abeg rest

6 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by Beremx(f): 7:06pm On May 31, 2023
HacheNoire:

He is not a man of his worlds and very cunny!

making a U-turn? Did you check the dates of tweets? No reasonable government should remove subsidy totally owing to the fact that it's going to cause problem

11 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by Wodu89: 7:08pm On May 31, 2023
Markets follow utterances of leaders. Simple as ABC. The tout still think he was speaking at age motorpark

2 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by HacheNoire: 7:08pm On May 31, 2023
Beremx:
making a U-turn? Did you check the dates of tweets? No reasonable government should remove subsidy totally owing to the fact that it's going to cause problem

By your definition, we can say Peter is unreasonable for agreeing to remove subsidy “IMMEDIATELY”

3 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by seanfer(m): 7:20pm On May 31, 2023
Beremx:

The date the OP posted was 2022 and the attached is January 2023.

7 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by richidinho(m): 7:22pm On May 31, 2023
Tinubu as a president will be a disaster,he has no atom of pity on the masses

He bribed INEC to be dubiously declared as president, what he will do next is to bribe all the institution that will give him problems.

He started it by secretly electing two yorubas as governors forum chairman and vice even before the real governors are sworn in.

Soon you will not hear from the NLC and TUC again

But we are lucky because Peter Obi is coming sooner than expected

7 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by HacheNoire: 7:23pm On May 31, 2023
seanfer:

The date the OP posted was 2022 and the attached is January 2023.

That exposes his contradictory views.

He only dishes out what is sellable at the moment. His kind have no vision, ideology or standards. They flip flop like gas molecules.

6 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by WhiteNRed: 7:31pm On May 31, 2023
There is no how Tinubu can be compared to Peter in Intelligence.
Everything said about Tinubu, we know were all false -He built Lagos and all those bla bla bla. Which Lagos did he build?
Those elites who supported him and sang his praises, did for their own benefits. They know they will benefit from his government.

The fact is, he just want to answer the president of Nigeria, not for any real or positive change that will effect the life of the poor people.

You can use him -Tinubu, a professional politician to compare with Obi, a politechnocrat in doing things that will positively effect the people or move Nigeria forward for better.

6 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by Penguin2: 7:32pm On May 31, 2023
buhariguy:
The 50% that is not in the budget.
Abeg rest
Are budgets cast in stones?

Have you ever heard of supplementary budgets?

3 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by seanfer(m): 7:32pm On May 31, 2023
HacheNoire:

He only dishes out what is sellable at the moment. His kind have no vision, ideology or standards. They flip flop like gas molecules.

He’s not fit to be a President of a complex country like Nigeria.
Imagine how he is handling the crises in his party. That should point to the type of President he will be.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by HacheNoire: 7:35pm On May 31, 2023
seanfer:

He’s not fit to be a President of a complex country like Nigeria.
Imagine how he is handling the crises in his party. That should point to the type of President he will be.

You nailed it.

He is the African version of Donald Trump! They ONLY say what appeases their base at the MOMENT. After that, it’s another NEW story.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by seanfer(m): 7:35pm On May 31, 2023
Penguin2:

Attached is a tweet from Obi 2 months after he made the one you posted. Before you try to sell half truth to people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by seanfer(m): 7:37pm On May 31, 2023
HacheNoire:

You nailed it.

He is the African version of Donald Trump! They ONLY say what appeases their base at the MOMENT. After that, it’s another NEW story.

But most youths who can’t sit and look at the situation believe he is the messiah.

2 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by DevilsEqual(m): 7:38pm On May 31, 2023
IF IF IF....are statements of the foolish

I do not really understand we really have to care and wonder about how Obi would have done things differently if he emerged winner

Its like wondering how well Messi would have fared if he played in the German League....thats dumb and pointless considering the faxt that we may never predict rightly, its fruitless since hes never ever gonna play in that league

Make una rest abeg

4 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by MrAmbrose(m): 7:38pm On May 31, 2023
If the blind leads the blind, the both will fall into the ditch.
Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by HacheNoire: 7:39pm On May 31, 2023
seanfer:

But most youths who can’t sit and look at the situation believe he is the messiah.

It’s generic across the world. Their is always a lower class that believes anything. It’s like a cult.
Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by buhariguy(m): 7:41pm On May 31, 2023
Penguin2:

NLC and all nigerians were aware when buhari remove subsidy since last year,
NLC welcome the idea,
The only solution is to allow everyone to import
anywhere and sell any price, free market system, to make the product available

1 Like

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by clearcrystal: 7:41pm On May 31, 2023
richidinho:

He bribed INEC to be dubiously declared as president, what he will do next is to bribe all the institution that will give him problems.

He started it by secretly electing two yorubas as governors forum chairman and vice even before the real governors are sworn in.

Coming where 😂

Peter Obi is worse than Buhari.
We don't pray to have someone like Peter Obi as the president, his IQ is just a little bit higher than that of Buhari

2 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by Penguin2: 7:41pm On May 31, 2023
HacheNoire:

He is not a man of his worlds and very cunning

We booked appointment that I will come to see you at your place at 5pm, it’s 5:30pm and you haven’t seen me.

Then you pick up your phone and call me. “O boy! Where are you na?” And I reply you and say, “No vex, I don reach your junction, you go see me “NOW”.

Does that mean that you are going to see me NOW in the literal sense that the word is used?

Because what you lots have held unto is Obi’s use of the word immediately, and trying to insist that he meant it in its most literal sense. But we all know that by saying immediately does not really mean he would have stood at the podium on Inauguration Day and shout “subsidy is gone” and throw the nation into chaos like we currently have.

1 Like

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by N2B2: 7:41pm On May 31, 2023
HacheNoire:

Why is Peter Obi all you can think about? Your so-called visionary candidate has nearly quadrupled fuel prices (and shortly, those of everything) on only this 3rd day in office.

Wear your flip flops & continue standing on his mandate na, which is plunging the country to the depths of inflationary abyss.

On his mandate you stand. Corn.

1 Like

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by Penguin2: 7:45pm On May 31, 2023
buhariguy:
NLC and all nigerians were aware when buhari remove subsidy since last year,
NLC welcome the idea,
The only solution is to allow everyone to import
anywhere and sell any price, free market system, to make the product available

We are not talking about the agreement NLC had with Buhari or whoever. We are talking about the budget you made allusion to.

The president can decide to pay 100% subsidy until December of 2023. All he needs to do is draw up a supplementary budget and send to the National Assembly for approval.

So, you were wrong to suggest that Obi’s assertion that he would pay 50% subsidy is an impossibility.
Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by HacheNoire: 7:46pm On May 31, 2023
Penguin2:

We booked appointment that I will come to see you at your place at 5pm, it’s 5:30pm and you haven’t seen me.

Then you pick up your phone and call me. “O boy! Where are you na?” And I reply you and say, “No vex, I don reach your junction, you go see me “NOW”.

Does that mean that you are going to see me NOW in the literal sense that the word is used?

Because what you lots have held unto is Obi’s use of the word immediately, and trying to insist that he meant it in its most literal sense. But we all know that by saying immediately does not really mean he would have stood at the podium on Inauguration Day and shout “subsidy is gone” and throw the nation into chaos like we currently have.

You cannot twist English.

The sentence after the word “IMMEDIATELY” nailed the coffin.

We cannot say Peter does not command good use of English, so he definitely knows what he was talking about

3 Likes

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by seanfer(m): 7:51pm On May 31, 2023
HacheNoire:

It’s generic across the world. Their is always a lower class that believes anything. It’s like a cult.

You’re right, and the higher class use them to achieve their aims.

1 Like

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by Penguin2: 7:52pm On May 31, 2023
seanfer:

Attached is a tweet from Obi 2 months after he made the one you posted. Before you try to sell half truth to people.

If I say, you will see the money NOW, does it mean you are seeing it now in the literal sense of the word?
Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by HacheNoire: 7:52pm On May 31, 2023
seanfer:

You’re right, and the higher class use them to achieve their aims.

#CaseClosed

You nailed it!
Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by chidiokay: 7:57pm On May 31, 2023
Beremx:

Shebi if that is if Nigeria even has the money to subsidy 50%, most of you don't even know what happening at all ... una own no pass e Lu pee 75 mediocre for social media

Nigeria use over 90% of its revenue to service loan, NNPC is not remitting one kobo and we are literally borrowing to pay subsidy to bunch thieves claiming Nigerians consume 60million barrels .. which is a big fat lie

Buhari administration ensures the 2023 budget has no provision for subsidy beyond june ... So where will Peter Obi steal 50% from to subsidy PMS for Nigeria.

Its either we keep up with subsidy or remove it completely .. partial or 50% will be counter productive on the long run.
its not gonna be easy but if our leaders are sincere we all go smile sooner than we thought

1 Like

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by Penguin2: 7:59pm On May 31, 2023
HacheNoire:

You cannot twist English.

The sentence after the word “IMMEDIATELY” nailed the coffin.

We cannot say Peter does not command good use of English, so he definitely knows what he was talking about

I am not twisting grammar, I am stating facts.

If you want to interpret the tweet literally as you lots are doing, then we can as well take it to mean that had Obi been declared elected by INEC, he would have “immediately” removed subsidy since he said “if I’m elected” and not “when I’m sworn in”.

1 Like

Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by chidiokay: 8:02pm On May 31, 2023
richidinho:

In the last 8yrs of Buhari where were NLC and TUC.

ASUU went on strike for 1yr where was NLC

Fuel scarcity last 5month between 22/23 where were NLC and TUC

Nigeria went through the most difficult times of cash scarcity for the 1st time .. where was NLC and TUC.

Oga if you have nothing meaningful to say ... just dey read comment undecided
Re: How Obi Intended To Go About Subsidy Removal. (pics) by seanfer(m): 8:04pm On May 31, 2023
Penguin2:

If I say, you will see the money NOW, does it mean you are seeing it now in the literal sense of the word?

You are always trying to be economical with the truth.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benin City Among The World's Most Beautiful Cities In The 15th Century! / Verydarkman Calls Out Pastor Omokri For Raping A 15-year-old Girl / Glow With Pride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.