Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) (23779 Views)

Fuel Subsidy: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Great Savings / ▶Free Basic Vehicle Information Package(BVIP) Vehicle History Record▶ / ➜ ➜ ➜ FREE FLOOD DAMAGED VEHICLE CHECKS➜➜ ➜ +234-806-036-5068 ➜ ➜ ➜ ➜ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by jceesquare(m): 12:17pm On Jun 02, 2023
nymphomaniac:
Gazzuzz I need your anointed hands on my car. Organize free servicing for your fans nau 😩

With respect to the topic, my contribution is this:

1. Remove all those nonsense spoilers that you attach to the car yourself. They cause drag and make your engine work harder than normal.

2. If you use a manual car, learn to drive on neutral while going downhill.
Coasting downhill on neutral with a manual transmission will not save you fuel but work the other way round and it's equally not safe.
You need that boosted pressure from the engine for your brakes to work well, besides modern cars are designed with a fuel cut off system when coasting in gear.
It's advisable to just leave the car in the appropriate gear when coasting downhill.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by jceesquare(m): 12:26pm On Jun 02, 2023
Using 20W50 oil viscosity will eat deep into your fuel because of additional efforts to move parts within the engine caused by friction from the oil
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by nymphomaniac(m): 12:26pm On Jun 02, 2023
Osanoghodua1:
Please, I am currently using Hardex Gold Engine oil for my Toyota Corolla, I change oil every 6months, I only drive to church and sometimes to work, most times it's parked. Kindly let me know if this oil is okay

Pls recommend a good new tyre for me and the price.

I currently live in Benin City. Thanks
what is the oil weight? For tyre, Bridgestone or Firestone if you can afford a new one. I don’t like those Chinese tyres like austone

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by Stubborn82: 12:38pm On Jun 02, 2023
Please o, I want to ask this question.
How many litre can cover 60km journey with 2.4L engine like honda accord 05.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by Emeka71(m): 12:45pm On Jun 02, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
Bad Driving habits.

* Vehicle idling
Starting the car and leaving it to idle for 10-15 mins before leaving the house.... It's gone! Start the car, put it in drive and drive cheesy, don't waste 10-15mins of fuel.

* Aggressive Driving

Let me tell a short story, on my 1.4L 2009 Kia Rio I traveled from Lagos to Benin on 18Litres driving at a max speed of 100km/h I filled up in Benin to confirm.

Repeat of same journey took 30L driving at a max of 140km/h and aggressively.

Slow consistent driving , and not powering uphill will save you a lot on petrol, avoid the quick races, remember that for each race you win or loose, you lost about ₦500 wink, slap the throttle pedal gently .

* Google maps .

I use Google maps for the shortest of distances, I always avoid traffic and choose the best routes, learn to use Google maps with the traffic prompts on so you can make better decisions. Also teach your drivers to use the map too.

* Avoid fuel additives.

Those cans they sell in the petrol station will not get you any better MPG, use the money to buy petrol, it will also not keep your system clean.
Nice information.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by Manuella4ace: 12:56pm On Jun 02, 2023
apache4:
Please tell us one highway in Anambra where one can drive for at least 30 minutes without encountering any of the above mentioned..

Oga answer the question first ?

Me too I'm from Anambra and i reside here in Awka

buygala

You don't even need a highway to use cruise control, the advantage of cruise control is coasting on a higher gear or higher speed with lower rpm.
And it helps save more fuel, you can be driving at 60km with cruise control activated.
It doesn't mean you must be on a very high speed, because the way you guys dey mention highway, I just tire.

The target is lower rpm on higher gears or higher speed.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by Manuella4ace: 1:00pm On Jun 02, 2023
TheOldGods:
You must really be a bad mechanic. So because of 600 naira fuel, I should start my car immediately and start driving at full speed without allowing my engine to warm up about, or even telling your clients to drive slow if they happen not to warm up. I pity those who listens to your advice. You're among those bad mechanic that fixed one and destroys 4

If you read your car manual to understand, it clearly states, a minute after starting your car, your can start driving, but don't race your engine.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by MrHighSea: 1:06pm On Jun 02, 2023
any engine more than 1.5L OYO
Travelling through more than 2 states, GiG

Use original plugs
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by Manuella4ace: 1:27pm On Jun 02, 2023
MrHighSea:
any engine more than 1.5L OYO
Travelling through more than 2 states, GiG

Use original plugs
If you drive aggressively, your fuel go finish.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by 9icetoo(m): 1:32pm On Jun 02, 2023
TheOldGods:
You must really be a bad mechanic. So because of 600 naira fuel, I should start my car immediately and start driving at full speed without allowing my engine to warm up about, or even telling your clients to drive slow if they happen not to warm up. I pity those who listens to your advice. You're among those bad mechanic that fixed one and destroys 4

you are wasting fuel idling your car.

Start the car, engage drive and move. this is not Alaska.

Your engine will not grenade.

You are wasting fuel idling. Drive gently and within 5 minutes, your car would have warmed up sufficiently for you to rev shege out of it.

3 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by 9icetoo(m): 1:35pm On Jun 02, 2023
jceesquare:

Coasting downhill on neutral with a manual transmission will not save you fuel but work the other way round and it's equally not safe.
You need that boosted pressure from the engine for your brakes to work well, besides modern cars are designed with a fuel cut off system when coasting in gear.
It's advisable to just leave the car in the appropriate gear when coasting downhill.

I couldn't have said it better.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by FILEBE(m): 1:41pm On Jun 02, 2023
@Gazzuzz. You didn't talk about closing any exhaust leaks. And then about thr catalyst.

That was how my car started bringing the P2A00 error code when scanned o. Something that has to do with o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 . But my readings says the sensor is okay. I am suspecting the back 1 sensor 2. Then panel beater hear my car sound come talk say dem suppose put muffler inside thr exhaust pot. I still dey reason how to solve the problems
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by Patriotsleague: 1:42pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nice thread, useful.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:36pm On Jun 02, 2023
jceesquare:
Using 20W50 oil viscosity will eat deep into your fuel because of additional efforts to move parts within the engine caused by friction from the oil

Difference is very minimal, reason I didn't bring it up

4 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:43pm On Jun 02, 2023
FILEBE:
@Gazzuzz. You didn't talk about closing any exhaust leaks. And then about thr catalyst.

That was how my car started bringing the P2A00 error code when scanned o. Something that has to do with o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 . But my readings says the sensor is okay. I am suspecting the back 1 sensor 2. Then panel beater hear my car sound come talk say dem suppose put muffler inside thr exhaust pot. I still dey reason how to solve the problems

I talked about scanning and error codes.

If your exhaust leaks pre O2 sensor, vehicle will throw up errors that can be identified, those errors will cause vehicle to run less efficiently.

If your exhaust leaks are post O2 sensor , you are just causing noise pollution and it has no effect to the vehicle

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by jceesquare(m): 4:03pm On Jun 02, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Difference is very minimal, reason I didn't bring it up
True but makes more sense when most people drive off immediately after starting the car with fan running directly sir.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:12pm On Jun 02, 2023
jceesquare:

True but makes more sense when most people drive off immediately after starting the car with fan running directly sir.

Considering we live in temps averaging 25-40deg Celcius, I see no reason why there should be a problem sir.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by jceesquare(m): 4:30pm On Jun 02, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Considering we live in temps averaging 25-40deg Celcius, I see no reason why there should be a problem sir.
Another true submission sir.
But from my personal experience, fuel economy gets affected mostly in the morning when temp is cold (that's when most people leave for work), fan running directly (possibly with aftermarket radiator aka double cell), and engine running on thicker oil.
I've seen cars running all day with the temp remaining close to the bottom.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by nymphomaniac(m): 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2023
jceesquare:

Another true submission sir.
But from my personal experience, fuel economy gets affected mostly in the morning when temp is cold (that's when most people leave for work), fan running directly (possibly with aftermarket radiator aka double cell), and engine running on thicker oil.
I've seen cars running all day with the temp remaining close to the bottom.
what could be wrong with my car? I have to top up coolant every three days else when in traffic and not moving my car temperature just keeps rising to red line. The moment I move, it comes down to the middle. When there is coolant, it doesn’t happen.

Cc Gazzuzz. PS: Car is a Camry 2003
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by MrHighSea: 5:58pm On Jun 02, 2023
Manuella4ace:

If you drive aggressively, your fuel go finish.
No more James Bond, na to drive like village head sure pass now

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by ariesbull: 6:36pm On Jun 02, 2023
Nice post ..
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by Manuella4ace: 6:41pm On Jun 02, 2023
MrHighSea:

No more James Bond, na to drive like village head sure pass now

I tell you.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by ontolegit(m): 9:03pm On Jun 02, 2023
nymphomaniac:
Gazzuzz I need your anointed hands on my car. Organize free servicing for your fans nau 😩

1. Remove all those nonsense spoilers that you attach to the car yourself. They cause drag and make your engine work harder than normal.

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by ontolegit(m): 9:06pm On Jun 02, 2023
@GAZUZ please respond to your fans from way back or you want us to show up at the workshop unannounced?
nymphomaniac:

[color=#000099][/color]
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by jceesquare(m): 9:47pm On Jun 02, 2023
nymphomaniac:
what could be wrong with my car? I have to top up coolant every three days else when in traffic and not moving my car temperature just keeps rising to red line. The moment I move, it comes down to the middle. When there is coolant, it doesn’t happen.

Car is a Camry 2003
So many things could be faulty.
1. Check your radiator cap to see if the rubber is bad, rusty or the spring no longer holds pressure.
2. Look out for leaks around the cooling lines, hoses and pipes. No matter how little the leak is, it will compromise your cooling system. Also look out for rust or whitish discoloration along same line as that is a tell tale sign of coolant leaking.
Those 2 could explain why you're loosing water with all things being fine mechanically with your car.
3. Inspect your radiator for blockage or absence of sufficient fins. It will make it difficult to cool your coolant (or water as the case may be) effectively.
Better still, ask your technician to run a pressure test if he has the kit.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by bullykay: 7:57am On Jun 03, 2023
Please what does this to code mean on Toyota Camry 2008

P0012
P0420

GAZZUZZ:

Let's split the matter into parts so we don't loose focus.

A. Engine Electronics

* Buy a personal scan tool.

Buy a portable scanner so check for errors when they appear, if you don't know what the codes mean, enter into cartalk, post the codes and we will guide accordingly.

Some vehicles have had their warning lights removed by technicians and card dealers, this is the time to restore and scan.

* Scan code results.

Scan code results that have to do with the following will seriously affect your vehicle fuel efficiency by as much as 40-50percent.

Engine running rich or lean codes
02 sensor codes
P0128 coolant threshold
All timing related codes
Evaporative emission codes
Catalytic converter codes
Engine misfires
MAF codes
Exhaust gas recirculation codes
Variable timing codes
VTech codes
Boost pressure codes

There are more, but these are the common ones. Have them solved properly (not by clearing code) and you will save a lot on petrol.

B. Suspension

* Tyre pressures : keep tyre pressures at recommended levels (check drivers door or fuel tank cover) vehicles with low tyre pressures, consume more fuel than vehicles with the right tyre pressures.

* Wheel alignment, Ensure your alignment is on point, when you have front wheels fighting with them selves and asphalt, it causes unwanted drag, which results in more fuel consumption.

* Keep windows up when on long trips , this will reduce the amount of wind resistance the car makes, less drag more savings on fuel.

* Aerodynamics, the abuse of vehicle suspension in the name of raising vehicle height usually has consequences when done poorly, when you have the head up and tail down, you are fighting to get through the air, and constantly loosing efficiency to wind resistance. Same thing happens when you load 4 adults at the back and fill the trunk with load wink

* Sticky brakes . brake binding is a situation where the vehicle is being held down by the brake pads without application of the brake pedal. Could be caused by work done on the brake switch near brake pedal, rusted calliper pins rusted calliper prisons, faulty abs pump. Whatever the case, if you get home, splash some water on each wheel, if you have instant steam from any wheel it is binding and should be checked .

C. Service and Maintenance

* Filters sparkplugs and MAF.

Some cars never get a replacement engine air filter all their days in Nigeria , replace your engine air filter with each oil change , clean and re gap your sparkplugs to the required spark gap.

Carefuly clean MAF sensor with the required MAF cleaner, please do not do MAF cleaning unless you are sure it is required, it is not an item to clean regularly.

* Fuel Pressure

We don't have very clean petrol, so if your car begins to feel lazy especially after a long trip, might be time to check the fuel filter and strainer inside the fuel tank , if clogged replace, you will get better miles per gallon. In most vehicles, low fuel pressure will not show up as an error when scanned.

* Blocked Exhaust system.

The inability of exist gasses to quickly leave the engine into the atmosphere, will cost you more on petrol.

Some vehicles are naturally predisposed to catalyst blockage e.g Honda , Acura , Ford , Kia , Hyundai. If your vehicle is one of those you might want to get it checked out, also if your catalyst has been stolen in the past and was refilled will wire mesh or a catalyst clone which also gets blocked easily you should have it checked.

Know your vehicle, if a vehicle starts dragging, something is off and should be checked . Blockages in exhaust in exhaust systems will not show up on scan results for most vehicles, it takes a smart tech/owner to detect it in early stages.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by boldx(m): 8:01am On Jun 03, 2023
Please I am of the opinion that insults should not be traded at the slightest provocation here. The guy that uses cruise control believes that it works for him. Please let him be even if you know it's wrong. Let there be peace abeg.

1 Like

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by boldx(m): 8:03am On Jun 03, 2023
nymphomaniac:

Cc Gazzuzz. PS: Car is a Camry 2003
It seems your fans are not working or maybe your top gasket is gone.
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by LeJeun3: 8:34am On Jun 03, 2023
TheOldGods:

I guess you park on the express! Such that once you start your car you zoom off at 120km/h...

The time it will take you to drive out of your compound if you have any is sufficient to warm up your car, you aren't driving an RS8 or a Ferrari..

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:20am On Jun 03, 2023
bullykay:
Please what does this to code mean on Toyota Camry 2008

P0012
P0420

Code P0012 Toyota Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over-Retarded

You might be able to fix this issue by replacing the camshaft timing oil control valve in pic below .

For the P0420, just replace the catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold .

Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by Correct05: 11:07am On Jun 03, 2023
I have ds code p0037 for highlander 05. Which way to solve it please?
Re: How To Make Your Vehicle Run More Efficiently (Post Subsidy Removal Tips) by mejai(m): 11:29am On Jun 03, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Code P0012 Toyota Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over-Retarded

You might be able to fix this issue by replacing the camshaft timing oil control valve in pic below .

For the P0420, just replace the catalytic converter in the exhaust manifold .

This fuel subsidy matter don dey change u ooo grin.
I thought u would redirect him to
https://www.nairaland.com/3743541/ask-gazzuzz

To avoid derailing wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Urgently Need To Sell My Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 2011 , Pls I Need Serious Buyer. / Super Clean Tokunbo R model Mack tipper truck for sale! price #15.5m. / 2013 Model Benz C250 Toks Fully Loaded Good Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.