Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,858 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us (20938 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Woman Spotted Eating Amala On A Train In The UK / What Is Wrong In Being Black? / This Woman Explains Why She Hates Being Black! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Glamrock(f): 4:38am On May 05, 2015
I am African American My DNA test came back 87% west African 13% european

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:59am On May 05, 2015
AkanIgbo:

So basically any African on the continent mixed with Arabs or Whites have no tribes either? So in your world you are now throwing out the Swahili, Moors, Ethiopians, South Africans, Egyptians, Libyans, Sudanese, Fulani people and a bunch of other people that I can't remember now.

not Swahili Bantu tribes lyk Mjikenda,etc.. only the mixed city swahili muslims of Mombasa/Tanzania. dey know themselves.

yes Moors too (depending on their tribal background).
South Africans (not the pure Zulu, etc. tribals). Egyptians Copts and Saidis still under dispute.

Fulani are not mixed imho. (except for Hausa-Fulani, etc. and all the recent mixes.) they have their dominant ethnic bloodline. with probably side admixtures.

It all depends on the individual groups really.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:02am On May 05, 2015
Phut:

That is completely wrong. You that say you are Hausa, may be mixed with a little Kanuri or even Bambara. Does that mean you have no ethnicity or tribe? Being off standish never fit anybody, anywhere

Nonsense . stop assuming. I am pure Maguzawa Hausa. the purest you can find.

and even if there are slight admixtures which i doubt. the dominant group remains.

but in case of akatas. they dont have any dominant group. no wonder they lost their culture and language. they are completely mixed to the point of no return.

please im not referring to race/skim color which is irrelevant to me.

i talk about Ethnicity and tribe. blood. genetics.

as for AAs dey have formed their own new group i guess. if dey have any concept of it.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Fulaman198(m): 8:08am On May 05, 2015
AkanIgbo:

So basically any African on the continent mixed with Arabs or Whites have no tribes either? So in your world you are now throwing out the Swahili, Moors, Ethiopians, South Africans, Egyptians, Libyans, Sudanese, Fulani people and a bunch of other people that I can't remember now.

who says we Fulani are mixed? We have our own ethnicity and our own language cut out the bull crap. South African is a nationality so that's ridiculous you even mention them. Ethiopian is also a nationality. Moor is a group used to refer to Muslims from Morocco to Nigeria. Sudanese is also a nationality. Libyan is a nationality. You must be American.
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Fulaman198(m): 8:09am On May 05, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

not Swahili Bantu tribes lyk Mjikenda,etc.. only the mixed city swahili muslims of Mombasa/Tanzania. dey know themselves.

South Africans (not the pure Zulu, etc. tribals). Egyptians Copts and Saidis still under dispute.

Fulani are not mixed imho. (except for Hausa-Fulani, etc. and all the recent mixes.) they have their dominant ethnic bloodline. with probably side admixtures.

Yah we are not mixed.
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 05, 2015
Glamrock:
I've always wanted to know, do you or any other 80+% african american have kinky hair, like hair which isn't curly or straight?
PAGAN9JA:

Actually the Mijikenda are different from the people who allegedly consider themselves proper Swahili, while the Swahili only speak Swahili the Mijikenda have their own languages and speak them together with Swahili. There's a lot of confusion around this coz the arab-mixed Swahili call themselves the real Swahili and insinuate that to be Swahili you have to have an arab mixture. The Mijikenda is a combination of two words Miji- cities and Kenda - nine and is a group of nine bantu tribes from Kenya with languages which are mutually intelligible with Swahili and hence they are the ancestors of the original Swahili. The really light-skinned arab-mixed Swahili are actually very less in number, they have heavily intermarried with the Mijikenda so that it's difficult to place the arab contribution (since most of the mijikenda bantus are also light-skinned) and are confined to the coastal cities of Lamu, Pate, Malindi, Mombasa in Kenya and Dar-es-Salaam, Kilwa, Tanga, Zanzibar in Tanzania, the majority of the people in those cities are however black africans.
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Glamrock(f): 8:14pm On May 05, 2015
pkjag:
I've always wanted to know, do you or any other 80+% african american have kinky hair, like hair which isn't curly or straight?

yes majority of us have kinky hair, me included
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 05, 2015
Glamrock:

That's really strange, i would have thought the european genes would have at least curled the hair up, seems african genes are really dominant (or not), so what does the 13% represent cause even many 100% africans have your skin colour?
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Glamrock(f): 8:35pm On May 05, 2015
pkjag:

That's really strange, i would have thought the european genes would have at least curled the hair up, seems african genes are really dominant (or not), so what does the 13% represent cause even many 100% africans have your skin colour?

African genes are very dominant , the 13% would have to Have come from slavery as white men use to rape the slaves to breed more, so it's in my bloodline. No one in my family is white
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by AkanIgbo: 8:03am On May 06, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

I laughed for a good 30 minutes after I read your nonsense. So you started out by saying that none of those people are mixed and the half way through your thought process you admitted that all of them are probably mixed depending on individual groups. No kidding.

The funny thing is that DNA testing is proving that Nigeria is pretty admixed overall, which is very similar to African Americans oveall. So here is what the DNA testing site that I used stated about Nigeria:

Nigeria

Primarily located in: Nigeria

Also found in: Niger, Benin, Cameroon, Congo

Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, with more than 168 million people living in an area about twice the size of California. In fact, Nigeria has six cities with populations over 1 million (the United States has nine). From its tropical south to the arid north, Nigeria as a country is a concept and product of colonialism, bringing together more than 250 ethnic groups within fairly arbitrary borders.

Genetic Diversity in the Nigeria Region

The people living in Nigeria are among the most admixed of any of our regions, which means that when creating ethnicity estimates for people native to this area, we usually see similarities to DNA profiles from nearby regions. We’ve found that approximately 69% of the typical Nigeria native’s DNA comes from this region.

Examples of people native to the Nigeria region

Other regions commonly seen in people native to the Nigeria region

Benin/Togo 45%
Cameroon/Congo 37%
Africa Southeastern Bantu 22%
Mali 13%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 9%
Senegal 7%

We have used our reference panel to build a genetic profile for the Nigeria region. The blue chart above shows examples of ethnicity estimates for people native to this region. For the Nigeria region, we see an extremely wide range: for some natives to the area, 100% of their DNA looks similar to the profile, while others do not look similar to the region at all. For Nigeria natives with DNA from neighboring regions, we most commonly see similarities to the profile for Benin/Togo. About 45% of people from the Nigeria region have at least some DNA from Benin/Togo. (See the green chart above.)

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by tpiadotcom: 1:55pm On May 06, 2015
I'm sure you know benin/togo has people of nigerian ancestry there?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Glamrock(f): 3:25pm On May 06, 2015
Glamrock:

My daughter's hair not curly or straight. Just kinky

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by AkanIgbo: 5:07pm On May 06, 2015
tpiadotcom:
I'm sure you know benin/togo has people of nigerian ancestry there?

I am pretty sure that you know that the USA has people of Nigerian ancestry here? Right?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by tpiadotcom: 5:16pm On May 06, 2015
not sure what you're trying to say but you need to interpret your data correctly.

haven't seen you doing that yet.

btw, where are you from?
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 06, 2015
Glamrock:

My daughter's hair not curly or straight. Just kinky
Interesting, so nobody in your family has curly/straight hair?
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by AkanIgbo: 5:28pm On May 06, 2015
tpiadotcom:
not sure what you're trying to say but you need to interpret your data correctly.

haven't seen you doing that yet.

btw, where are you from?

I am from the USA and a person ethnicity is whatever their dominant group is. You can only say that your ancestry belongs to a specific group, because people told you that. If you took a DNA test then you might find that you are mixed with other ethnic groups too. You are the one that wrote that DNA testing showing African Americans mixtures "makes them mixed. they have no ethnicity or tribe." Which is complete garbage, because the dominant DNA for a lot of African Americans is either Akan or Igbo, so whatever the dominant ethnic group of those people is what they are.

The DNA testing that I showed you states that even Nigerians are an admixed group. You don't know if other groups have been mixed with the Yoruba or Igbo. You assume that they haven't because you have been told that, but DNA is telling a different story. So if African Americans have no ethnicity or tribe then neither do a lot of Nigerians who are mixed with multiple tribes. And you know that people are mixed with multiple tribes due to wars and slavery where ethnics groups were forced to intermarry. So your basic premise is wrong.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by tpiadotcom: 5:43pm On May 06, 2015
are you confusing me with paganija?
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by AkanIgbo: 6:02pm On May 06, 2015
tpiadotcom:
are you confusing me with paganija?

That might be the case wink, because he did make the initial dim witted statement, but then I wrote that only about 2% of African Americans are mixed with Native Americans; which means that African Americans are not as mixed as people have been led to believe to which you replied:

"I think that's been sorted out.

it depends on how you want to interpret results."

There is no interpretation to the results. The typical African American is over 80%+ of African descent. That is on par with and even greater than many Africans on the continent when you realize that Africans on the Continent have been mixed with Arabs and White people. A typical mixture for an average African American 82%-83% African and 17%-18% European, which is usually a great great grandfather.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Glamrock(f): 8:28pm On May 06, 2015
pkjag:

Interesting, so nobody in your family has curly/straight hair?

Nope, only if they permed it to get it that way
Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by gatiano(m): 10:40pm On May 06, 2015
Don't mind that nonsense result, You are 100% African. Study the cultures or tribes across africa or any Black community and change a meaningless name. In west-Africa, All our names have meaning which glorifies our creator.
Glamrock:

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Phut(f): 12:33am On May 07, 2015
AkanIgbo:

I am pretty sure that you know that the USA has people of Nigerian ancestry here? Right?

what she meant is that people from the same ethnic group where split up and put in different "countries" during the scramble for Africa. So you can see cousins who live half a mile apart and yet are labeled as being from 2 different countries. In effect, DNA similarities would.d be because these are the same people and not necessarily as a result of admixture

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by shadowhunter15(f): 12:52am On May 07, 2015
AkanIgbo:

Another incredibly stupid lie about blacks in America. I finally realize that most of the information that most people think that they know about African Americans is complete misinformation.

Where does one even start with these ridiculous statements. First of all "blacks" in America call themselves African Americans. So right there they are telling you where they came from . These are the names that people used to call "black" people in American:

1. Slave
2. Negro
3. Colored
4. Black
5. Afro American and

Finally, it was the "black" people in American that wanted to be known as African Americans, because while we didn't know exactly where our ancestors were from in Africa; African Americans did know that they ancestors were from Africa. So African Americans know where they are from; even the common "black" American refer to themselves as African American; because all African Americans know that there is no such place as slave, negro, colored, black or Afro any place in Africa. So if there is any group that is letting the World know that they are African it is African Americans. The movement is so strong, that African American is showing up on official forms as frequently as the word black.

African Americans even celebrate something called "Black History" month in America every February to celebrate our African roots and we put "Kwanzaa" on the map in the USA. African Americans have whole departments in historically black colleges set up just for African History, which has led to a movement by major white universities like Harvard setting up African History departments in major universities. Look it up. Dr. Henry Louis Gates at Harvard University is major researcher on African culture and African American Diaspora. Dr. Gates is ran a series on public television and it is followed very closely by people, including just regular every day "black" people in the USA. In fact African history is a wide field of study in American Universities and it is African Americans that have been pushing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Louis_Gates,_Jr.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finding_Your_Roots
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Lives
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_African_Americans:_Many_Rivers_to_Cross

Where do you think all of this DNA testing stuff for ethnicity is coming from? It is coming from African Americans. They are driving the market, because they want to know exactly where they are from. Read the below linked articles to see all of the companies in the USA offering ethnicity DNA testing to African American, and it has become even higher profiled since a lot of celebrities like Oprah Williams, Vanessa Williams, Don Cheadle, Morgan Freeman, Danny Glover, Chris Rock, Chris Tucker, etc., etc., have taken the DNA test. African American are constantly testing their ethnicity, which is why so many of the testing companies are spending so much time in Africa testing the people there and clearing up and verifying oral history.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/genetics/2006-02-01-dna-african-americans_x.htm

Most "blacks" in America don't feel like they are Americans; Hell we know that because White Americans keep reminding black people that they are not Americans, by making policies and laws that only apply to "black" people.

You should stop making generalizations about African Americans, because you don't know what you are talking about. What exactly have the "Black Brits" done to push the study of African History? Because just being from African doesn't make someone more African than someone that has never stepped foot on the Continent.

Lol it definetly does make someone more African. Stop trying to claim something you have no right to claim. And don't lie, most blacks mock and hate anything related to Africa. I've never met a black who associate themselves with Africa. And by the way, you guys are Americans regardless of how US views you. Leave the actual African immigrants with that title.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Phut(f): 1:00am On May 07, 2015
@Akanigbo, this is how ethnicity is determined in most of Africa which is patrilineal. You are from where your father is, irrespective of where you were born. Accordingly, an Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba man will give birth to Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba children regardless of where those children are born or where their mother is from.

Things are more relaxed now, such that even if you are related to a people through the matrilineal line and you learn the language and the culture and identify with that group, you are of that group.

If Glamrock learns Fulani and identifies as Fulani, then she is Fulani. Nobody can take that away from her.
If you learn Igbo language and culture and identify as Igbo, then you are Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Phut(f): 1:01am On May 07, 2015
@Akanigbo and Glamrock, the majority of Nigerians are welcoming and accommodating. However, one can get a skewed perception when reading on an online form.

Also as an aside: most Africans that are resident in Africa, today, are not mixed. Africans are very diverse when it comes to looks and this diversity is not due to admixture. Fulani's are not mixed. Wolofs aren't. Somali's and Ethiopians aren't (for the most part) Arabs, Indians and Persians came from them and not the other way around. When I look at the San people of the Kalahari (with their epicanthic eyelids and prominent cheekbones), I see the ancestors of The Chinese, Koreans and Japanese. Life began in Africa and all of the different looks in the world originated from Africa and are still represented on the Continent till date.

8 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Phut(f): 1:05am On May 07, 2015
shadowhunter15:

Lol it definetly does make someone more African. Stop trying to claim something you have no right to claim. And don't lie, most blacks mock and hate anything related to Africa. I've never met a black who associate themselves with Africa. And by the way, you guys are Americans regardless of how US views you. Leave the actual African immigrants with that title.

Like really, I don't understand posts like this.
You say most Blacks mock and hate anything related to Africa. Well, most is not All.
Also, from your post it would appear that you do not like when such an attitude is directed toward you. So why are you doing the same thing you do not like being done to you?

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Fulaman198(m): 2:39am On May 07, 2015
Phut:
@Akanigbo and Glamrock, the majority of Nigerians are welcoming and accommodating. However, one can get a skewed perception when reading on an online form.

Also as an aside: most Africans that are resident in Africa, today, are not mixed. Africans are very diverse when it comes to looks and this diversity is not due to admixture. Fulani's are not mixed. Wolofs aren't. Somali's and Ethiopians aren't (for the most part) Arabs, Indians and Persians came from them and not the other way around. When I look at the San people of the Kalahari (with their epicanthic eyelids and prominent cheekbones), I see the ancestors of The Chinese, Koreans and Japanese. Life began in Africa and all of the different looks in the world originated from Africa and are still represented on the Continent till date.

Really nicely done and said.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by AkanIgbo: 3:36am On May 07, 2015
shadowhunter15:

So you are now claiming that you know most African Americans? So you have actually went around and examined the minds of 45-50 million people? Stop making stupid statements, because that is what you are making; because you don't know what that many people think. You know what the knuckleheads that you hung out with thought, but that doesn't mean that those people are representative of African Americans just like crazy guys running schemes in Nigeria are not representative of all Nigerians. That is dumb for anyone to make dumb statements like that.

I am literally telling you that every major universities in the USA, including historically black colleges teach African history; and African American kids all over the country are getting degrees in African studies; but you are telling me that are not and they don't care about African history, and I guess that you would know because you have spoken to all 45-50 million African Americans. Take a look at just some of the schools offering the degrees in African Studies:

http://www.aag.org/cs/projects_and_programs/developing_regions_programs/spotlight_africa/african_studies_programs_us#W
http://jsis.washington.edu/africa/
https://africanstudies.georgetown.edu/
http://africa.ufl.edu/
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/az-degrees/african-studies-2328287.html
http://www.yale.edu/macmillan/african/degrees.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_studies
http://www.princeton.edu/~piirs/programs/PAS/Program.html
http://www.africanstudies.northwestern.edu/
http://africa.wisc.edu/
http://www.college-scholarships.com/historically_black_colleges_universities.htm

I wrote it before and I will write it again. After reading this board I have decided that African Americans know more about Africans than Africans know about African Americans. And the reason that African Americans know more is because they are actually seeking to know stuff about Africans, whereas many Africans or at least the ones on this message board are relying on meeting one or two knuckleheads and deciding that it applies to all African Americans. Just dumb.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by AkanIgbo: 3:46am On May 07, 2015
Phut:

As for your first paragraph I know that most Nigerians are welcoming and most Nigerians that visit the USA will tell you that most African Americans are welcoming and accommodating; especially in the Southern USA. There are knuckleheads in the USA and in Nigeria, but by and large black are black where ever you are. Some are very nice and some you just stay away from.

As for your second statement I don't doubt that large groups of Africans are not admixed. My statement is that African Americans overall have less admixture than some Africans that are on the Continent and if those people are considered to be Africans than so are African Americans. That is the whole statement. If the statement is that African Americans are not Africans, because they are in America then that would mean that every Nigerian that leaves Nigeria to work or go to school in America are no longer African either.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by AkanIgbo: 3:58am On May 07, 2015
Phut:

what she meant is that people from the same ethnic group where split up and put in different "countries" during the scramble for Africa. So you can see cousins who live half a mile apart and yet are labeled as being from 2 different countries. In effect, DNA similarities would.d be because these are the same people and not necessarily as a result of admixture

What you say makes perfectly good sense when reading about the transplanting of people during colonialism. The problem that I have is that black people divide themselves more than the White man can divide them. There was no difference between Colonialism in Africa and the Atlantic Slave trade for black people. If during Colonialism an Igbo man was forced to leave Nigeria and go to work in Ghana and then he met and married a Akan women and had kids; how is that any different than an Igbo man on a plantation in the USA during the slave era marrying an Akan woman and having kids?

I understood her point though.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Phut(f): 4:55am On May 07, 2015
AkanIgbo:

What you say makes perfectly good sense when reading about the transplanting of people during colonialism. The problem that I have is that black people divide themselves more than the White man can divide them. There was no difference between Colonialism in Africa and the Atlantic Slave trade for black people. If during Colonialism an Igbo man was forced to leave Nigeria and go to work in Ghana and then he met and married a Akan women and had kids; how is that any different than an Igbo man on a plantation in the USA during the slave era marrying an Akan woman and having kids?

I understood her point though.

In my eyes, there is no difference

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 07, 2015
Phut:
Interesting, do you have like some evidence cause in racial profiling they say something like the khoisan have asiatic genes/DNA instead of saying that the Asians have khoisan DNA/genes, same with the somalis and ethiopians, it's really sad how these guys take us for a ride when they also admit that everybody came from africa.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Being Black In The Uk And Being Black In The Us by Phut(f): 10:02am On Aug 13, 2015
pkjag:

Interesting, do you have like some evidence cause in racial profiling they say something like the khoisan have asiatic genes/DNA instead of saying that the Asians have khoisan DNA/genes, same with the somalis and ethiopians, it's really sad how these guys take us for a ride when they also admit that everybody came from africa.

Watch this video of a study by a Chinese scientist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiTS7bjbQi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp6T2rUjhtA

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Criminals Building Camps In Edo Forests — Oba Of Benin / Fulani People / Ajimobi Presents Certificate To Adetunji, Olubadan Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.