Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,410 members, 7,958,197 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:40 AM

Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage (2058 Views)

11-year-old Girl Runs Away From Home To Avoid Arranged Marriage / Love Marriage Or Arranged Marriage Which Do You Prefer? / An Arranged Marriage: Is It Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Alsuwaidi(f): 12:30pm On Mar 03, 2006
[center]There are two types of marriage, love marriage and arranged marriage. Which one do you think is better and why? Give reasons to support your answer.[/center]
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Hotstepper(f): 2:54pm On Mar 03, 2006
love marriage, i believe i choose da person i love and must have dated and known kinda very well if not very well dan parents arranging sum1 4 me, nevaaaaa kiss
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Free(f): 5:34pm On Mar 03, 2006
Love marriage
like wat hotsteeper said i choosed the person, and know how he is,
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 08, 2009
I think an arranged marriage shud be better. As long as the elders know the individuals in question, it shud work out perfectly.
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Nobody: 11:00pm On Mar 08, 2009
This is a no-brainer, it all depends to the individuals. there is nothing in this world that can give you a guarantee of long lasting marriage, it's all down to the couple involve and their dedication, nothing else.
i would say that:
people in love marriage have more freedom, independence, better respect and understanding of each others needs and desires. these couples are attracted to each other and know" the person they will spend the rest of their lives with beforehand. no social/family pressure.  they are better prepared for married life (they know a little bit about their spouse) BUT it doesn't mean that it will always lead to marital bliss.

people in arranged marriage believe that they have an advantage since their parents have more wisdom, maturity, experience to chose the right partner who will provide the security and happiness needed. life is less stressful because if the partner turns out to be a "fukc up" then you have only your family to blame. i will also say that it is "better" for a person not so beautiful to enter this type of union as the demand for beauty in today's society is much greater (love marriage)

since people do change, i think until the day you say "I DO", you never really know what you are getting into. people after marriage tend to slack off and turn out different than before they were dating. it's like dating was a competition and now that they won they competition (got married) they don't need to "compete" any longer.  so all the acrobatic stuff that he was doing to impress a girl before marriage is gone and now that the ring is on your finger, he can be himself. "SOME" women has the same impact as they tend to look after their appearances before marriage and as soon as the ring is on that finger, look how quick the kilos start accumulating (for whatever reasons). so the real relationship starts the day you say I DO,  which ultimately, is almost like the arranged marriage.
it also depends on how old the person is when getting married, the younger they are, the more suited for arranged marriage they "might" be, but if you are over 30 and can't choose your own partner, then you shouldn't get married at all.

anyhow, I want/will choose my partner, so that, if any wahala happens, i will be the only one to blame.
BTW: there are many more marriages than these two you pointed, what about:
TROPHY WIFE MARRIAGE
GOLD DIGGER MARRIAGE
MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by sexyLeamon(f): 3:29am On May 05, 2009
MRbrownJAY:
TROPHY WIFE MARRIAGE
GOLD DIGGER MARRIAGE
MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE

haha grin
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by tpia5: 7:18am On Sep 22, 2013
it depends, one doesnt necessarily have to be better than the other, your situation is what should determine which one could be right for you.

if, for example, you want to settle down and quit the single life, but you're having difficulty finding someone, arranged marriage might be an option, provided the other party is also single and never been married.

in short, a lot of factors need to be taken into consideration when it comes to relationships.

and no, the type of marriage [love or arranged] doesnt guarantee an absence of problems either.
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Rhythm(f): 8:50am On Sep 22, 2013
Arranged marriages are better.

I think love marriages have failed more than arranged marriages. People go into love marriages thinking they are going into a perfect marriage with a perfect person, and when troubles show up, they bolt. In arranged marriages on the other hand, people go into the marriage expecting to love whatever they find, and the man would have to be pretty impossible to love before that marriage fails.
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Tinkybabe(f): 3:34pm On Sep 22, 2013
I can't believe this is up for debate.

where is the freedom of choice in an arranged marriage?

It's bad enough that relationships where the parties involved choose their spouse themselves are barely successful.how much more ones that a person is forced to enter?

I see arranged marriages as imprisonment. .and attributing the success of such relationships to the arrangement is the greatest fallacy of all time.

Only a pinch of these marriages work out in reality.The majority perceived to be successful are really not.
The victims of such only live with the fate life, tradition or maybe families have dealt them which clearly is suffering and smiling.

Does a prisoner have a choice?
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 22, 2013
I prefer arranged marriage better.
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by EfemenaXY: 5:25pm On Sep 22, 2013
MRbrownJAY: This is a no-brainer, it all depends to the individuals. there is nothing in this world that can give you a guarantee of long lasting marriage, it's all down to the couple involve and their dedication, nothing else.
i would say that:
people in love marriage have more freedom, independence, better respect and understanding of each others needs and desires. these couples are attracted to each other and know" the person they will spend the rest of their lives with beforehand. no social/family pressure.  they are better prepared for married life (they know a little bit about their spouse) BUT it doesn't mean that it will always lead to marital bliss.

people in arranged marriage believe that they have an advantage since their parents have more wisdom, maturity, experience to chose the right partner who will provide the security and happiness needed. life is less stressful because if the partner turns out to be a "fukc up" then you have only your family to blame. i will also say that it is "better" for a person not so beautiful to enter this type of union as the demand for beauty in today's society is much greater (love marriage)

since people do change, i think until the day you say "I DO", you never really know what you are getting into. people after marriage tend to slack off and turn out different than before they were dating. it's like dating was a competition and now that they won they competition (got married) they don't need to "compete" any longer.  so all the acrobatic stuff that he was doing to impress a girl before marriage is gone and now that the ring is on your finger, he can be himself. "SOME" women has the same impact as they tend to look after their appearances before marriage and as soon as the ring is on that finger, look how quick the kilos start accumulating (for whatever reasons). so the real relationship starts the day you say I DO,  which ultimately, is almost like the arranged marriage.
it also depends on how old the person is when getting married, the younger they are, the more suited for arranged marriage they "might" be, but if you are over 30 and can't choose your own partner, then you shouldn't get married at all.

anyhow, I want/will choose my partner, so that, if any wahala happens, i will be the only one to blame.
TROPHY WIFE MARRIAGE
GOLD DIGGER MARRIAGE
MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE

Interesting post.

Care to expansiate on the Trophy Wife and Gold Digger Marriages? cheesy cheesy

And I think the Marriage of Convenience is the same thing as an "arangee marriage", isn't it?
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 22, 2013
Tinkybabe: [color=#770077] and attributing the success of such relationships to the arrangement is the greatest fallacy of all time.

Only a pinch of these marriages work out in reality. The majority perceived to be successful are really not.
The victims of such only live with the fate life, tradition or maybe families have dealt them which clearly is suffering and smiling.

I don't know the numbers, but good points. True success of an arranged marriage is based mostly on luck IMO. You were just lucky to end up with good partners. But the fake success, i.e remaining married even though the marriage is a complete sham (suffering and smiling like you said) is based mostly on cultural/religious shackles.

At least with a love marriage, you can't blame anybody else when things go wrong.

That being said, a 'love marriage' can often be just as much of a crap shoot.

1 Like

Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by Kanwulia: 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
There is no hard and fast rule to marriage.
YOU ONLY FIND OUT WHAT KIND OF MARRIAGE YOU HAVE AFTER YOU HAVE SAID I DO! grin

[size=20pt]THERE IS A THIN-FINE LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE. . .and you can cross it AT ANYTIME IN MARRIAGE!!![/size] kiss

Arranged o. . .not arranged o. . .all na the same 50% divorce rate!
As for the love factor. . .YOU ONLY FIND OUT HOW MUCH YOU LOVE OR HATE YOUR SPOUSE WHEN HE OR SHE IS DEAD! kiss

TAKE YOUR CHANCE!!!! kiss

Marriage is THE ULTIMATE PANDORA'S BOX!!!! kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkrWiAg33Gc

SONG OF THE DAY. . . THE MESSAGE. . . .

'don't push me, cuz i'm close to the EDGE. . . .' wink

[size=20pt]"MARRIAGE IS LIKE A JUNGLE SOMETIMES, IT MAKES ME WONDER HOW I KEEP FROM GOING UNDER"!!!![/size] grin

Time to go work jare. . . logging off! cool
Re: Love Marriage And Arranged Marriage by veave(f): 2:20pm On Sep 23, 2013
Arranged abeg. when i get there i'll learn... abeg ar nor fit shat!!!

(1) (Reply)

Will You Give Up Your Child For Adoption? / Man Born Without Legs And Hands Shows Off Heavily Pregnant Wife And Son (photos) / Mistress Attacks Man's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.