Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension (3164 Views)

Chimaroke Nnamani Reacts To His Suspension By PDP / Saraki Says Oshiomole's Mouth Divided APC In Reaction To His Suspension / Shehu Sani Reacts To His Suspension From APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Zxcvbnmghtr: 10:48pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

That is not the purpose of this thread

We are here to discuss whether the president can unilaterally sack or suspend the CBN governor without the support of two-thirds majority of the senate

You see how you are running in circles? grin

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by yarimo(m): 10:51pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Yarimo, can the president unilaterally sack or suspend the CBN governor without the support of two-thirds majority of the senate
Please I don't have your time now

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 10:52pm On Jun 09, 2023
seunmsg:

I can see you are now avoiding me. Go and read the interpretation act and stop embarrassing. Attached is a screenshot from the law.

I am not avoiding you......

Did the president remove the CBN governor based on the interpretation act you are quoting.

Seunmsg, I don't expect you to accept that the president broke the law, because to you he can do no wrong
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 10:55pm On Jun 09, 2023
yarimo:
Please I don't have your time now

You are running away

Because you have been held by the jugular
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by ImperialYoruba: 10:55pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:
"According to Section 11(2)(f) of the CBN Act, the President shall remove the CBN Governor from office provided that the governor’s removal shall be supported by a two-thirds majority of the Senate praying that he be removed".

Hope this is not political vendetta

What does constitution say about suspension?

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by yarimo(m): 10:55pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

You are running away

Because you have been held by the jugular
ok
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by seunmsg(m): 10:56pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

I am not avoiding you......

Did the president remove the CBN governor based on the interpretation act you are quoting.

Seunmsg, I don't expect you to accept that the president broke the law, because to you he can do no wrong

Yes, he was suspended in accordance with the interpretations act.

4 Likes

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Globad(f): 10:56pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

That is English language

But in Nigeria, it is different. Totally different

I can't remember in Nigeria where a public official was suspended from office and later returned to that same office

What you quoted is legal and that's what I've responded to

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 10:57pm On Jun 09, 2023
ImperialYoruba:

What does constitution say about suspension?

Well, I did expect you to provide sections of the constitution that talks about suspension
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by sapele914(m): 10:57pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

I was expecting you to provide sections of the CBN act that empowers the president to unilaterally sack or suspend the CBN governor

Not some "Jonathan started it" kind of response
Interpretation Act: Section 11.

Appointment:

(1) Where an enactment confers a power to appoint a person either to an office or to exercise any functions, whether for a specified period or not, the power includes−

(a) Power to appoint a person by name or to appoint the holder from time to time of a particular office.

(b) Power to remove or suspend him;

(c) Power, exercisable in the manner and subject to the limitations and conditions

(if any) applicable to the power to appoint−

(i) To reappoint or reinstate him;

(ii) To appoint a person to act in his place, either generally or in regard to specified functions, during such time as is considered expedient by the authority in whom the power of appointment in question is vested.

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 10:58pm On Jun 09, 2023
seunmsg:

Yes, he was suspended in accordance with the interpretations act.

Really

Wow!

The CBN governor suspended according to the interpretation act
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 11:01pm On Jun 09, 2023
sapele914:

Appointment:

(1) Where an enactment confers a power to appoint a person either to an office or to
exercise any functions, whether for a specified period or not, the power includes−

(a) Power to appoint a person by name or to appoint the holder from time to time
of a particular office.

(c) Power, exercisable in the manner and subject to the limitations and conditions

(ii) To appoint a person to act in his place, either generally or in regard to specified functions, during such time as is considered expedient by the authority in whom the power of appointment in question is vested.

Then why is the CBN act saying that the president would need the support of two-thirds majority of the senate to be able to sack the CBN governor
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by sapele914(m): 11:02pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Really

Wow!

YES.

Appointment:

(1) Where an enactment confers a power to appoint a person either to an office or to exercise any functions, whether for a specified period or not, the power includes−

(a) Power to appoint a person by name or to appoint the holder from time to time of a particular office.

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by seunmsg(m): 11:03pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Really

Wow!

Yes. The interpretation act interprets all act of the National Assembly including the CVN act. I’m sure you are just hearing this fir the first time.

3 Likes

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 11:03pm On Jun 09, 2023
sapele914:
YES.

Appointment:

What happens to the CBN act
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by sapele914(m): 11:03pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Then why is the CBN act saying that the president would need the support of two-thirds majority of the senate to be able to sack the CBN governor
Is suspension a sack?

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Eniitankorede: 11:05pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:
"According to Section 11(2)(f) of the CBN Act, the President shall remove the CBN Governor from office provided that the governor’s removal shall be supported by a two-thirds majority of the Senate praying that he be removed".

Jonathan removed Sanusi, not even suspending him. Now the president can suspend CBN, but cannot remove without senate approval. But as I said, Sanusi was removed without senate approval.

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 11:10pm On Jun 09, 2023
seunmsg:

Yes. The interpretation act interprets all act of the National Assembly including the CVN act. I’m sure you are just hearing this fir the first time.

Yes I am

So the interpretation act supersede all act of the National assembly of which the CBN act is one

No matter how you look at it, the president will still need the support or approval of two-thirds majority of the senate to make this sack legal. Don't you think so

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 11:11pm On Jun 09, 2023
sapele914:
Is suspension a sack?

In Nigeria, suspension is the Euphemism for sack

FACT
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by ImperialYoruba: 11:14pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Well, I did expect you to provide sections of the constitution that talks about suspension

There is none.

President Tinubu has suspended him. The order stays.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by AdesegunSanni89: 11:15pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

he was suspended not removed. Simple English.
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by sapele914(m): 11:16pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

In Nigeria, suspension is the Euphemism for sack

FACT
Assumption.
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 11:17pm On Jun 09, 2023
sapele914:
Assumption.

Its a Fact
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by sapele914(m): 11:19pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Its a Fact
Assumption, Presumption, anyone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by blacksam01: 11:20pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

it is na
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 11:20pm On Jun 09, 2023
ImperialYoruba:

There is none.

President Tinubu has suspended him. The order stays.

Then he just broke the law and should go to jail for it

Two wrongs don't make a right
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by sapele914(m): 11:22pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

Then he just broke the law and should go to jail for it

Two wrongs don't make a right
Suspend him on Friday, National Assembly does the needful on Tuesday.

Godwin Emefiele is toast any way you choose to look 👀 @ it, he has overstayed his welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by plaindealer: 11:22pm On Jun 09, 2023
Ofunaofu:

We are talking about the law

Is Nigeria a lawless country

You are not talking about the law, you are only stating your own flawed and half-backed opinion.

If in your old age, you still do not know the difference between sacked and suspended, then you need to go back to elementary school for proper elementary education.

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Ofunaofu: 11:23pm On Jun 09, 2023
sapele914:
Suspend him on Friday, National Assembly does the needful on Tuesday.

Okay o

If not, Tinubu goes to jail grin grin
Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by plaindealer: 11:25pm On Jun 09, 2023
sapele914:
Assumption.

In his ignorant, backward, and illiterate world, there is no difference between suspended and sacked, and to assume means stating FACT.

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by 9jatriot(m): 11:27pm On Jun 09, 2023
Your question is a valid one but the truth is that with Meffy, a lot of people really don't care.

Secondly, while the law may requires a 2/3 of Senate approval, I am not sure it says anything about suspension. So technical, he has not been sacked but only suspended for investigations to be carried out similar to how the form CJN was also suspended technically.

From here he will either be forced to resign or more likely the senate will overwhelmingly agree to remove him.

I do not think Meffy has any support base to fall on other than Malaimi who I also hope will join Meffy in whatever cell he is allocated to
Ofunaofu:

1 Like

Re: Emefiele Sack: How Constitutional Is His Suspension by Mikespecialone(m): 11:37pm On Jun 09, 2023
Acekidc4:
Whether na Political Venza or Vendetta, we no care, all we care about is for the Bald headed Criminal to vacate that CBN position and make DSS and Efcc do their job.

Ikoyi Prison will be Ok for him. Let him go and Relax there.

Done ✅

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Addressing A Governor's Wife As 'your Excellency' Constitutional? / Gunmen Kill 20 In Kaduna / The Real Reason PDP Members Are Defecting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.