Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm (42320 Views)

My Maize Farm In Pictures / My Maize Farm Made Me Smile This Morning. Photos Attached / My New Tomatoes Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 4:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
Wacot yellow maize is the one planted later.

My target are the feedmillers and from experience, I know they prefer the white maize to yellow hence I planted more of white

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 4:59pm On Jun 12, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-7gkyz4Bsk

Working principle of the Groundnut picker

I bought it when I realized the cost of harvesting of groundnut is outrageous in the south

3 Likes

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2023
I also bought the maize thresher too.

I do buy most of my equipment from china

3 Likes

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Adaran: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2023
God bless you and your family
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2023
I have a tractor mounted boom sprayer for big farms but plan selling it.
Sold the tractor mounted maize planter last year.

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2023
Adaran:
God bless you and your family

Amen.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Motherlove: 5:24pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:

Hahaha.

One of my student? Don't remember you.
Did you plant local or hybrid seeds? Because I am really thinking of switching to local seeds.
I called IAR, Zaria they said 2,500 per kg for Samnut 24, called Icrisat in Kano 1,800 per kilo, ABC in Kaduna 1,800 and other seeds maker same price.
The one I bought 2 years ago was 900 per kg and I can't just imagine buying seeds for 2,500 now.

Your crops look like local seeds used.

How are you going to pluck and thresh the groundnuts?

I plant local seeds it was #2000 per congo when I bought it.. don't really know how it's now.

How are my going to pluck and thresh the groundnuts! Honestly being my first trying I don't mind you putting me thru
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Treassured: 5:24pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:
First of all, i am grateful for this forum in getting and hiring a good farm manager.
My former manager frustrated me and i ran at loss last year but so far so good, the person i hired on nairaland has been faithful, loyal and hard working.

Which State Is this please??

I need to rent some Lands too.
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Treassured: 5:29pm On Jun 12, 2023
izubext007:
nice , may God protect your farm from those idiot called Herdsmen

Here Is my greatest worries. Insecurity.

It's the reason why I want to know which State Op Is doing his Farming.
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by seguno2: 5:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:
I also bought the maize thresher too.

I do buy most of my equipment from china

Have you tried the National Centre for Agricultural Mechanization (NCAM) in Ilorin
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by XAUBulls: 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:

I lease the land from a friend who relocated to Canada for 10k per acre per year.
For now, i will stick to leasing than outright buying.
I lost 10 acres to Omo onile in 2020. Took them to state police headquarters last year and so many brouhahas.
Not ready for that again.

Also, I structured my farming plan in such a way that mobility is my priority.
This is Nigeria with so many issues with Fulani herdsmen and kidnapping.
I structured my farm in a way that if the environment is not favourable or the investment didn't go as planned, I can either quickly close it down and move on or easily relocate to another location.

The farmland being mine will trap me down and makes me emotional but a lease can easily be shut down, equipment moved to another place easily and we continue
@emmaodet,

Thanks for the awesome feedback.

You are very wise to have leased the land this time around. I would like to suggest that you also discuss with your farm manager on how to look into the use of greenhouse technology (from Dizengorff) or cheaper options, and hydrophonics as your agribusiness expands.

I have read about folks who have used these in Lagos to grow more tomatoes, pepper, and exotic veggies using limited land space. Urban farming is key to bridging the food insecurity caused by banditry in parts of Nigeria and the Sahel region.

I'll keep in touch.

All the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by ManOfSon: 5:55pm On Jun 12, 2023
Call it by its proper name, agbado!
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2023
XAUBulls:

@emmaodet,

Thanks for the awesome feedback.

You are very wise to have leased the land this time around. I would like to suggest that you also discuss with your farm manager on how to look into the use of greenhouse technology (from Dizengorff) or cheaper options, and hydrophonics as your agribusiness expands.

I have read about folks who have used these in Lagos to grow more tomatoes, pepper, and exotic veggies using limited land space. Urban farming is key to bridging the food insecurity caused by banditry in parts of Nigeria and the Sahel region.

I'll keep in touch.

All the best.

Thanks a lot bro for your inputs.

I will think over it

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2023
seguno2:

Have you tried the National Centre for Agricultural Mechanization (NCAM) in Ilorin

No bro. I prefer imported equipment to local ones from experience
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2023
Treassured:

Which State Is this please??

I need to rent some Lands too.

Ogun state

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 6:07pm On Jun 12, 2023
Motherlove:

I plat local seeds it was #2000 per congo when I bought it.. don't really know how it's now.

How are my going to pluck and thresh the groundnuts! Honestly being my first trying I don't mind you putting me thru

If it is 2,000 per congo, then it is better to buy hybrid because it is treated, gives better yield and drought and disease resistant compared to local.

About threshing, I bought a new thresher from china because the cost of manual threshing is becoming unbearable.
In your case, you don't have a choice than to use manual labourers
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 12, 2023
You Must Have This In Whatever You Do In Life

Apostle Joshua Selman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqfutegBSag
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Treassured: 6:10pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:

Ogun state

Wow Thanks.

This Is nice. I'm In Lagos and It's quite close. I will reach out to you for more Inquiries. Thanks.
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by nnamdi640: 6:15pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:

Per year
Is there still available land to rent out?
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Sammy4Joy: 6:31pm On Jun 12, 2023
Please provide the contact details of the company.

Some of us here are in dire need of genuine land to buy or lease

Monaboo:
I used to work for a Real Estate Company that sells Farmlands at Ogun State for farming to people.

The Farmlands were so Cheap.

The least plot we sold then was N80K per plot

People buy Acres and Hectares and start commercial farming and were making good money.

There is money in Agriculture o.

Infact, Agriculture is blood money.

This I have seen.

The last time I heard, they were still selling these Farmlands to clients till date.
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Motherlove: 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:

If it is 2,000 per congo, then it is better to buy hybrid because it is treated, gives better yield and drought and disease resistant compared to local.

About threshing, I bought a new thresher from china because the cost of manual threshing is becoming unbearable.
In your case, you don't have a choice than to use manual labourers

🙌
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by kabanayol9(m): 7:34pm On Jun 12, 2023
[quote author=emmaodet post=123696374]First of all, i am grateful for this forum in getting and hiring a good farm manager.
My former manager frustrated me and i ran at loss last year but so far so good, the person i hired on nairaland has been faithful, loyal and hard working.
[/quote
if you don't mind sir, can you please employ me too sir?
To add more value to the continuous development of your farm sir, thanks sir.
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 7:40pm On Jun 12, 2023
Kudos!
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Kobojunkie: 8:07pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:
Will it make any difference than putting one per hole? Yes, you are right. Farming is not easy
So long as you have viable seeds, I think it would be wasteful having more than 1 seed per hole. I think it would be better applied to closing up the space gap between plants. That way you have increased yield per square area. undecided

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 8:13pm On Jun 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:
So long as you have viable seeds, I think it would be wasteful having more than 1 seed per hole. I think it would be better applied to closing up the space gap between plants. That way you have increased yield per square area. undecided

I am worried about your spacing, the maize not not grow to full big cobs due to competition among themselves
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2023
[quote author=kabanayol9 post=123752102][/quote]

Let's see how it goes.
Remind me by end of the year when we have done our audit and decide how many acres to add to the farm and determine people to add
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Kobojunkie: 8:18pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:
â–  I am worried about your spacing, the maize not not grow to full big cobs due to competition among themselves
You mean like the ones in the pictures? I really you should do your research into optimal spacing for crops before your next planting season. undecided

Read this https://nation.africa/kenya/business/seeds-of-gold/agronomist-s-notebook-here-s-how-to-grow-maize-for-higher-yields-102530

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Mcreloaded(m): 8:59pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:
Wacot yellow maize is the one planted later.

My target are the feedmillers and from experience, I know they prefer the white maize to yellow hence I planted more of white

If you know why yoke in eggs are mostly yellow then you will know that miller's prefer to use yellow corn to prepare feed for layers and when u see egg yoke that's white then it means white maize was used to prepare the feed.
Most egg yoke comes in yellow coloration
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Goddyrichie(m): 9:20pm On Jun 12, 2023
Alvin212:
Poverty

Poverty

Rubbish

who b this idiot abi you’re from American nii even American sef know agriculture more than we who come b u wey Dey shout Poverty

3 Likes

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Goddyrichie(m): 9:21pm On Jun 12, 2023
Alvin212:
Poverty

Poverty

Rubbish

who u b abi you’re from American nii even American sef know agriculture more than we who come b u wey Dey shout Poverty

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 9:46pm On Jun 12, 2023
Mcreloaded:

If you know why yoke in eggs are mostly yellow then you will know that miller's prefer to use yellow corn to prepare feed for layers and when u see egg yoke that's white then it means white maize was used to prepare the feed.
Most egg yoke comes in yellow coloration

Yes I know bro.
Most millers are looking for cheaper maize and that is while they mostly go for the white maize compared to yellow maize

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by seanwilliam(m): 9:57pm On Jun 12, 2023
I’m honestly interested in this ,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Enugu Man Celebrates Biggest Yam Harvest (Photo) / Nwachi Oster-Francis Develops Hybrid Of Tilapia At The Universiti Putra / Almat Farms, Abuja In Pictures (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.