Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,996 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:21 PM

My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm (42101 Views)

My Maize Farm In Pictures / My Maize Farm Made Me Smile This Morning. Photos Attached / My New Tomatoes Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Love800(m): 10:53pm On Jun 12, 2023
Wats the difference btw lease nd rent?
emmaodet:

I lease the land from a friend who relocated to Canada for 10k per acre per year.
For now, i will stick to leasing than outright buying.
I lost 10 acres to Omo onile in 2020. Took them to state police headquarters last year and so many brouhahas.
Not ready for that again.
Also, I structured my farming plan in such a way that mobility is my priority.
This is Nigeria with so many issues with Fulani herdsmen and kidnapping.
I structured my farm in a way that if the environment is not favourable or the investment didn't go as planned, I can either quickly close it down and move on or easily relocate to another location.
The farmland being mine will trap me down and makes me emotional but a lease can easily be shut down, equipment moved to another place easily and we continue
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:
I hired 3 yearly farm workers for the manager for the 20 acres farm though we are still going to use external workers later for one or two operations but it shouldn't be much.

Farm workers from cotonou at rate of 300k per year payable first week of december with a weekly feeding cost of 3,500 naira per week per worker

This is too much bro

My landlord gets cheaper workers from Benue at the rate of 200k/year

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by kabanayol9(m): 11:07pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:

Let's see how it goes.
Remind me by end of the year when we have done our audit and decide how many acres to add to the farm and determine people to add
Alright, thank you sir, i will.

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Crystalom34: 12:06am On Jun 13, 2023
Ezemeiyogu:

Didn't you consider competition?
What do you think will affect one seedling and won't affect the others?
Do you think that if he considered putting 2-3 seeds, he wouldn't need to add spaces from what he currently has?

you funny sha.

You think maize plants die because diseases?

As the grow, rain and wind and even him just working and walking inside the farm will break some maize in the stands.

By then, they would have grown beyond replacement.

Secondly, there's little competition between 2 or 3 seeds in a stand.

And no, you don't have to increase the spacing.

This is from both agricultural textbooks and from personal experience from years of farming.

It's never ideal to plant one per stand maybe yam. We do it with cassava before but now, it's 2 cassava stick per heap because one per heap always need constant replacement and consequence loses.

Even pepper, we plant maximum of 3 in a stand.

No one plants 1 per stands. It's not a good use of land
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Akinola100: 1:34am On Jun 13, 2023
Why are we not practising agroforestry in Nigeria?
I made my research and I found out that integrating leguminous trees with maize for example leads to higher yield than the conventional planting

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 5:20am On Jun 13, 2023
INSTANTCASH345:

This is too much bro

My landlord gets cheaper workers from Benue at the rate of 200k/year

Are you sure? This price was as at when?
Because the general price here is around 500k, literarily a bike
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 5:28am On Jun 13, 2023
Love800:
Wats the difference btw lease nd rent?

The right word to use.
When you are talking about land, you don't use rent rather leasing is the right word even though the 2 literarily means the same.

Just like when a popular politician dies due to gang or thugs attack e.g President. You use assassinated and not killed or murdered.
The right word to use is assassinated while for common man is killed.
There are so many words like that in English with many examples.
When someone comes to you begging for money to pay back sometime, you giving out the money becomes the lender (that is the right word) while the person receiving the money becomes the borrower.
So we now say, I lend/lent him money while he says he borrowed money from you not lend.

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 5:29am On Jun 13, 2023
Akinola100:
Why are we not practising agroforestry in Nigeria?
I made my research and I found out that integrating leguminous trees with maize for example leads to higher yield than the conventional planting

Don't get you bro.
Leguminous trees like?
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by gunners160(m): 7:16am On Jun 13, 2023
i really dont want to comment before but i saw a lot of comment and i was pushed to pen something down

1. Farm work is more than just what you see. The op who created this thread either does not know much about farming or he is hiding a lot of information from you. YOU CAN RUN AT A LOSS WITHIN JUST THREE MONTHS AND ALSO RUN AT A PROFIT AT THESAME TIME
2. Never and i mean never put too much into farming FOR THE FIRST TIME. Try and learn the basic and most especially you need a real farmer not just an online farmer to know what farming is all about
3. The person that created this thread was talking habi writing about labour cost as if na beans. He even went as far as saying he is paying his farm manager so and so amount. Menh that is poor farm management. A good farmer will always avoid cost at all means. Even if you want a farm manager , it should be temporally and not some one you pay annually. Na so e easy reach. The reason is because most of the so called labourers will always want to cheat you and play on you. So you need some body (beta an indigene) who knows the way. I was once a victim of that..
4. Chemical , chemical and chemical go wan kill you.........

Finally, not all plant grow in all places... if you wan farm, you need to be a farmer and be available . There is more that meet the eyes than all this part information...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Love800(m): 8:00am On Jun 13, 2023
Tank u. I appreciate
emmaodet:

The right word to use.
When you are talking about land, you don't use rent rather leasing is the right word even though the 2 literarily means the same.

Just like when a popular politician dies due to gang or thugs attack e.g President. You use assassinated and not killed or murdered.
When someone comes to you begging for money to pay back sometime, you giving out the money becomes the lender (that is the right word) while the person receiving the money becomes the borrower.
So we now say, I lend/lent him money while he says he borrowed money from you not lend.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Love800(m): 8:08am On Jun 13, 2023
I appreciate sir. Tank u
emmaodet:

The right word to use.

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 13, 2023
emmaodet:

This is in Akure. The price in your side is enormous
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by emmaodet: 11:29am On Jun 13, 2023
INSTANTCASH345:

This is in Akure. The price in your side is enormous

Waooooo

Won't mind connecting with you to get one.

I will send you a pm soon
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Ezemeiyogu(m): 12:15pm On Jun 13, 2023
Crystalom34:
you funny sha.

You think maize plants die because diseases?

As the grow, rain and wind and even him just working and walking inside the farm will break some maize in the stands.

By then, they would have grown beyond replacement.

Secondly, there's little competition between 2 or 3 seeds in a stand.

And no, you don't have to increase the spacing.

This is from both agricultural textbooks and from personal experience from years of farming.

It's never ideal to plant one per stand maybe yam. We do it with cassava before but now, it's 2 cassava stick per heap because one per heap always need constant replacement and consequence loses.

Even pepper, we plant maximum of 3 in a stand.

No one plants 1 per stands. It's not a good use of land

Did you study Agriculture too or you only read from Agric textbooks?

I didn't say those for saying sake. You are responding an agricultural graduate who in his 4th year program planted one seed per hole. That's also a method you may not have considered. I have managed a multi million Farm too where one stand was encouraged and a given period is considered after which replanting will be done in cases of wilting or others.

What the op did is one method you probably haven't acquainted yourself with. Overcrowding is not good for maize!

Infact, the major reason people go for 2-3 seeds per hole is even because of fear of non germination of non viable seeds. In many practices, those who planted more than one seed usually go ahead to prune the weaker ones leaving one stand. This is ideal for commercial maize production.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Akinola100: 9:13pm On Jun 14, 2023
emmaodet:

Don't get you bro.
Leguminous trees like?
There are several leguminous trees that can serve as a permanent nitrogen fixing mechanism into your soul. These plants are not arable crops so they can remain on the same root stalk for more than 4 years, which means you will be getting continuous nitrogen being supplied into the soil, interrow with any crop you wish to cultivate. They also serve as windbreak and boosts the activities of beneficial insects and birds.
Consider Flame of the forest, ipil-ipil, orchid, raintree and other trees you can find

1 Like

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by soccerlite: 4:06pm On Jun 17, 2023
emmaodet:
I have a tractor mounted boom sprayer for big farms but plan selling it.
Sold the tractor mounted maize planter last year.

I have gotten 4 plots for sale at likosi, that's sagamu area.

afoayo2018@gmail.com
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Jamestown123: 9:05pm On Jun 17, 2023
Ologundudu2020:
Am working on starting on cassava plancentation soon

Anyone interested to work with me from the scratch should let me know.

I know nothing about agric but am willing to try
Where's your location?
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by kolaish(m): 9:54pm On Jun 17, 2023
emmaodet:

I will but it will take a lot of time to compile that.
Promised to do that and tag you before Thursday on it
@emmaodet. Just a reminder. Goodluck
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Antibettings: 10:06pm On Jun 17, 2023
I'm not trying to derail the thread but see na

Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by OluchiDelly: 11:48pm On Jun 17, 2023
Antibettings:
I'm not trying to derail the thread but see na

is that forever f1 or shombor f1?
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Antibettings: 6:38am On Jun 18, 2023
OluchiDelly:

is that forever f1 or shombor f1?

I bought the seedlings from hausa people
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by OlaDchaser: 2:03pm On Aug 04, 2023
Kindly drop me your contact, let rubbminds, have been farming since 2018.
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by OlaDchaser: 2:05pm On Aug 04, 2023
emmaodet:
First of all, i am grateful for this forum in getting and hiring a good farm manager.
My former manager frustrated me and i ran at loss last year but so far so good, the person i hired on nairaland has been faithful, loyal and hard working.

Kindly drop me your contact, let rubbminds, have been farming since 2018.
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Childfree: 7:48pm On Aug 04, 2023
emmaodet:

I guess size of farm would determine how many workers you usually get. Curious What size of farm and how many workers you usually get?

Secondly, do you mean you don't hire extra hand if you want to execute a task Like planting, spraying, applying fertilizer or harvesting?

Why I asked the question is because We also get workers for our farm which is no way close to the amount you are quoting.
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by sightquest: 8:09pm On Aug 05, 2023
Good dey everyone
Please I need a farm manager for a vegetable farm around Shiun in Ogun State. Land size is a about 4.5 acres. I will appreciate if I can get a referral for a good one
Thank you all
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Bostin(m): 9:44pm On Aug 05, 2023
sightquest:
Good dey everyone
Please I need a farm manager for a vegetable farm around Shiun in Ogun State. Land size is a about 4.5 acres. I will appreciate if I can get a referral for a good one
Thank you all
I'm interested
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by REUBEN010(m): 11:47pm On Aug 05, 2023
sightquest:
Good dey everyone
Thank you all
My farm is within your location as well. What vegetable crop are you cultivating?
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by sightquest: 6:12pm On Aug 13, 2023
REUBEN010:

My farm is within your location as well. What vegetable crop are you cultivating?

Sorry for the late response. I do tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet corn and local pepper. Also experimenting with watermelons at the moment
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by sightquest: 6:22pm On Aug 13, 2023
REUBEN010:

I also sent you a follow request. I believe I should be able to message you privately if you follow back. In any case, I will like to have a direct conversation with you. Is there some other way I can contact you?
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by REUBEN010(m): 9:06pm On Aug 13, 2023
sightquest:

I also sent you a follow request. I believe I should be able to message you privately if you follow back. In any case, I will like to have a direct conversation with you. Is there some other way I can contact you?
08.1.053. 223. 92
Re: My Maize, Pepper And Tomatoes Farm by Corrections: 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2023
Hapi new month

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Biggest Onion Market In Nigeria In Kebbi State (Photos) / Locally Fabricated Agriculture Machines In Ibadan / Tomato Glut Hits Katsina Markets As Price Drop To N300 From N5, 000 Per Basket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.