Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,004 members, 7,817,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities (42432 Views)

Children's International School Fees In Lagos That Got People Talking (picture) / Abolish Acceptance Fees In Universities - FG Gets 7-Day Ultimatum One Love Group / Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by samuelpeters(m): 11:56pm On Jun 14, 2023
chukel:
you dont know what tuition fee is, even as a graduate. It's disgraceful. Go and bring out your receipt. You will see tuition, zero naira. Then u will see all other levies charged by ur school and not FG. Levies like accommodation fee, exam fee, development levy and all sorts of nonsense the schools charge which ends up as the school's IGR. FG gets nothing cos the tuition (main school fees) is zero.
I'm really surprised students/graduates don't know these things.
It's really shameful.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Lekan239(m): 2:46am On Jun 15, 2023
Ebubu2:
those you mentioned are not tuition. Tuition means money paid for being taught. It directly goes into paying the teachers.

Tuition does not exist even in your school fees printouts. You only see these ones you highlighted.

Tuition will be reintroduced and federal schools will become expensive.

The alternative is get the student loan.

The other ones you mentioned will still be there, as they have always been there, just that they don’t exceed 20k most times (examination fee, library fee).

tuition fee exist in State institution. And they admit more student than federal schools despite thier high fees
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Nyanabo(m): 6:01am On Jun 15, 2023
I don't understand? How is tuition fee for higher education free in Nigeria? I only studied one year in Nigeria (NDU) amassoma. And I remember vividly I paid over 170k as a first year student tuition inclusive.

My brother got into uniport this year, and we've spent over 200k for tuition and all other charges. So how is higher education free in Nigeria?

Maybe they can tell us it's subsidized. At least that lie would be more believable.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Reincarnation10: 6:05am On Jun 15, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

So, how's tuition free in government schools?
I guess you also paid the teachers employed to teach you? Also, how much was your hostel bill compared to what’s obtainable off-k? Your library fees was definitely thousands of naira, no be so? … You shouldn’t have paid for your feeding o🤣… to the best of my knowledge buying textbooks wasn’t the thing, printing handouts it was…

The summary of Tinubu admin is that Christmas is over. If you’re getting educated, better be ready to pay for it.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Reincarnation10: 6:09am On Jun 15, 2023
Nyanabo:
I don't understand? How is tuition fee for higher education free in Nigeria? I only studied one year in Nigeria (NDU) amassoma. And I remember vividly I paid over 170k as a first year student tuition inclusive.

My brother got into uniport this year, and we've spent over 200k for tuition and all other charges. So how is higher education free in Nigeria?

Maybe they can tell us it's subsidized. At least that lie would be more believable.
How much is that 200k in GBP? It’s why the quality of the education is watered. It’s dirty cheap. Imagine using the funds paid to make it affordable to make our schools world standard, while assisting the poor with loans… Just imagine…
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Nyanabo(m): 7:00am On Jun 15, 2023
Reincarnation10:
How much is that 200k in GBP? It’s why the quality of the education is watered. It’s dirty cheap. Imagine using the funds paid to make it affordable to make our schools world standard, while assisting the poor with loans… Just imagine…
a

I don't think we should measure the quality of our education with the Pound.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by simfrost90210: 7:37am On Jun 15, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

Your aforementioned payments are not paid for tuition.. Tuition Is Paying For Being Taught Or Lectured Or Instructed. That is what isn't paid in government schools throughout the country.. I also didn't pay throughout my school days..

If tuition is started to be paid, for instance, where 35k is regularly paid per session, you might have tuition of 300k added to it to make it 335k... What Tinubu is doing is, getting you to access the loans, pay tuition and pay back the loan which is more terrible.. Believe me!!!
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Kukutenla: 7:42am On Jun 15, 2023
Gajagojo:

Aditi is not just deaf. But you confirm my point for me.
Yoruba is a poetic language
With relatively few words that mean so many different things to those who understand the language of Ifa. Aditi can mean a stubborn person, a heedless person or one who is slow

Kokoko in that context means unceasing repetition
There were no ASUU strikes in the 70s.
The first strike I know of was in 1988. under Babangida.
Universities were very well funded in the 70s which was the point of the reminiscing that you call nostalgia. We saw $30 Oil which in today's money is $160
We are swimming in oil money? Put a number to it?

Do you have a clue the cost of production of a barrel of oil in Nigeria
How much revenue did we get from oil last. year? You have no clue wha you are talking about

I've never seen where slow is synonymous with deafness. Maybe dumb but definitely not deaf.
I meant ASUU strikes in the 80s but ASUU was already agitating for better service conditions and holding protests before 1988. ASUU had several run-ins with the Buhari govt on education policies for example.
How is $30 oil in 70s $160 today?
As at 2022, oil revenue exceeded $10bn. That's small compared to 2012 when oil revenue exceeded $30bn. In the 70s you so joyfully reminisce about, oil revenue never hit $1bn.
Now you're going to cost of production. You seem so fixated on making excuses for govt. What about VAT that hit a trillion. What's the cost of production there?
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by iyke2frankeze: 8:41am On Jun 15, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

Are those fees you mentioned tuition fee? You went to school but you can't make use of your dictionary.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by TinubuSlave(f): 8:47am On Jun 15, 2023
esosuo2:
What school did this one go that is free ? Abi school fees and tuition fee na different things now , from what I know federal schools are far cheaper compared to public and state schools , 2011 my school fees for uniben na 12k abi 14k that year and all others like hotel are separate payments school fees doesn't cover accomodation and departmental and faculty registrations
currently uniben school fees is 73k per session.
Things have changed

1 Like

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by esosuo2: 9:52am On Jun 15, 2023
TinubuSlave:
currently uniben school fees is 73k per session.
Things have changed
Still far cheaper than state owned institutions and private schools , that Time ist year use to be up to 70k or so but after that year na 10k for arts and social sciences and the sciences slightly above , medicals are more expensive slightly Sha
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NLegendforte: 10:35am On Jun 15, 2023
samuelpeters:

You don't pay tuition in federal universities.
What you pay are service charges.
I said school fees not tuition fees
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Gajagojo: 10:54am On Jun 15, 2023
NLegendforte:

I said school fees not tuition fees
You need to define school fees
Clearly you want That to mean what you want it to mean.
This thread is about tuition fees

If you eat in your school canteen you could call it school fees
No need to hide behind a finger
The thread is about tuition
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Gajagojo: 10:59am On Jun 15, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

You paid for your feeding? Hey Ya!
Who should pay before?Imagine what you are saying.
You paid for hostel you paid for textbooks. Who owns the textbooks.

Did you pay the lecturer?Did you pay salaries of people cleaning the classroom?
Did you for one day wash toilets in the lecture halls or mop the floors of cut grass

Those things have to be paid for and the money has to come from somewhere

There are people who train as artisans in Nigeria ,tailors,vulcanizers,drivers,welders,anticipated etc does government feed them or pay for their accommodation. Those people doing Nwa boy are you better than them? Why should going to university entitle you in a way that Those who learn trades are not entitled. Have you ever reflected on their own costs f training
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by CCC2(m): 11:13am On Jun 15, 2023
JasonScoolari:
When you stop mistaking me for your Dad and concentrate on your 15k primary school teacher job, more offers will come.

You are hereby suspended from participating in any heavenly race indefinitely

1 Like

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by fijihems: 11:17am On Jun 15, 2023
This is a good move. Education has to funded in Nigeria considering our dwindling resources. There is need to provide adequate financing for tertiary education in Nigeria to avoid endless strikes.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NLegendforte: 12:09pm On Jun 15, 2023
Gajagojo:
You need to define school fees
Clearly you want That to mean what you want it to mean.
This thread is about tuition fees

If you eat in your school canteen you could call it school fees
No need to hide behind a finger
The thread is about tuition
Mr Man I didn't add my personal expenditures and feeding as part of fees charged by my school. Do you have comprehension challenges? Go straight to cyber cafes in most federal unis and get accurate info on school fees. Funai, unimaid, fud, fulafia, etal
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Gajagojo: 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2023
NLegendforte:

Mr Man I didn't add my personal expenditures and feeding as part of fees charged by my school. Do you have comprehension challenges? Go straight to cyber cafes in most federal unis and get accurate info on school fees. Funai, unimaid, fud, fulafia, etal
Define school fees
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Shikini: 1:00pm On Jun 15, 2023
Terrible
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NLegendforte: 7:48pm On Jun 15, 2023
Gajagojo:

Define school fees
Multifaceted, includes all fees charged by institutions for services and facilities used by students such as field work, lab fees, library, sports, SUG, security, social welfare,medical fees, exams, etc.
You pay the total in full or in installments.
My sch is 177k+ for my level. Are u now satisfied?
Fresher's pay more. This doesn't include accommodation.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Gajagojo: 8:05pm On Jun 15, 2023
NLegendforte:

Multifaceted, includes all fees charged by institutions for services and facilities used by students such as field work, lab fees, library, sports, SUG, security, social welfare,medical fees, exams, etc.
You pay the total in full or in installments.
My sch is 177k+ for my level. Are u now satisfied?
Fresher's pay more. This doesn't include accommodation.
So if a school provides meals and students pay for meals that is school fees?

The most important service why you are There is tuition? How are lecturers salaries and pensions paid? Where will the money come from?
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NLegendforte: 8:12pm On Jun 15, 2023
Gajagojo:

The fees are compulsory, no alternative. As for meal provision it has nothing to do with in-campus academic activities just like they can't provide bathing soaps.
The above fees I mentioned are charged by almost all University currently and they are directly connected with students academic life. Hope you understand this time.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NLegendforte: 8:15pm On Jun 15, 2023
Gajagojo:

The most important service why you are There is tuition? How are lecturers salaries and pensions paid? Where will the money come from?
Mind you some public universities especially state unis charge tuition fees.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NLegendforte: 8:17pm On Jun 15, 2023
Assuming the school now adds their school fees to the tuition fees set by federal government, na wahala for students in professional programs.
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Gajagojo: 8:27pm On Jun 15, 2023
NLegendforte:

Mind you some public universities especially state unis charge tuition fees.
My view is universities should be subject to market forces . Some universities will charge more than others and students choose what they can afford
A situation where students go somewhere for four years come out with a degree and empty head is a waste.

Quality education costs money.

When you pay 2 million a year to study you won't have time for cultism
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Gajagojo: 8:29pm On Jun 15, 2023
university students are very selfish

What percentage of Nigerians go to university
What help or subsidy do apprentice artisans enjoy
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NLegendforte: 8:43pm On Jun 15, 2023
Gajagojo:

My view is universities should be subject to market forces . Some universities will charge more than others and students choose what they can afford
A situation where students go somewhere for four years come out with a degree and empty head is a waste.

Quality education costs money.

When you pay 2 million a year to study you won't have time for cultism
Those ones paying this amount currently in Nigerian private universities are they better?
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Gajagojo: 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2023
NLegendforte:

Those ones paying this amount currently in Nigerian private universities are they better?
better now what do you mean by better?
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Dybala11(m): 9:49pm On Jun 15, 2023
NLegendforte:

Do your research yourself. It's in northwestern. One of those unis set up by oga jona. Their sch fees is 177+ for medical school
Alright, but know this and know peace that if tuition fees are added to the fees you or you're paying, then the amount would have been well over 500k. Try to do a research on the amount that international students are required to pay.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Different Types Of Students You Will Meet In An Exam Hall - Meme Collection / Redeployment Letter From Corper With "Spiritual Attack" - 'Aljanu'(photo) / An OAU Student's Project On Defeathering A Chicken. This Is An Awesome Invention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.