Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,998 members, 7,828,526 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window (41650 Views)

Naira Falls To Record Low At I&E Window, Trades ₦‎993/$ / Naira Now Undervalued After Float, Bank Of America Says / Naira Loses To Dollar, Closes At 419 In "Official Market" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by wallarwallar(m): 12:15pm On Jun 15, 2023
Ogene001:

Tinubu will bombard the media with endless propaganda to legitimize his fraudulent regime

It wud be very hard for you to experience anything good in life if you don't believe in good things but always want to destroy others . The other idiot that claimed to bought dollar for 761 shud show us evidence . The fact that your candidate loose d election does not mean others can not deliver to us the new Nigeria we want only if you don't want to be part of the new Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by BreconHills(m): 12:18pm On Jun 15, 2023
Kenneth4u205:
Keep on deceiving yourself. I bought dollar's for 761 Naira few minutes ago . The 664 rate you talking about only exist in theory book. But the physical reality on ground is 761 per dollar's

It exists if you open an account online with the CBN and apply for any of the reasons covered on form M or form A.

What they've done is closed the gap on official transactions and black market ones. Corporates no longer have to go to the black market = lower pressure on black market. Eventually both rates will merge. I've used the portal many times successfully.

1 Like

Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by kindlyheart: 12:19pm On Jun 15, 2023
Ogene001:

If you know what Ngige built within three years, yet he was kicked out

Ngige really tried..he was the governor that built the road to My village which we are still enjoying till date
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by yom2(m): 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2023
forgiveness:
Magical Tinubu
hmmm! OK o!
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by dacool1(m): 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2023
Biodun556:

Naira is not devalued

Dollar was scarce because Buhari fix the exchange rate

What sort of thing are u saying. It was scarce because we are not earning enough. It's simply because of balance of payments deficit.

So when the rate floats dollar supply will improve right?
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by whitekad(m): 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2023
Kenneth4u205:
Keep on deceiving yourself. I bought dollar's for 761 Naira few minutes ago . The 664 rate you talking about only exist in theory book. But the physical reality on ground is 761 per dollar's
Mad man where did u buy ur own and which bank u buy ur own, son of hatred Ipobic Biafra.
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by hafeeanubasy: 12:24pm On Jun 15, 2023
Ogene001:

If you know what Ngige built within three years, yet he was kicked out

2 Likes

Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by XAUBulls: 12:25pm On Jun 15, 2023
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by yom2(m): 12:25pm On Jun 15, 2023
Kenneth4u205:
u dey mind them, na to dey we begin see all this kin abracadabra. That reminds me of '' the body language parable' in d earlier days of d past regime
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by sucess001(m): 12:25pm On Jun 15, 2023
dre11:

https://www.thecable.ng/naira-begins-recovery-after-float-closes-at-n664-at-ie-window/amp

Propaganda.

The real data you should look at is the parallel market
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by IamtheTruth1(m): 12:26pm On Jun 15, 2023
forgiveness:
Magical Tinubu
nothing magical there Oga. The oo doesn’t even understand what they mean. An average black can’t explain half of the things he speaks of daily. The official price moved from 460 to 664. Black market moved from #750 to# 761. Before any nitwit mention me, did the dollar drop or go up?
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by UncutSk(m): 12:28pm On Jun 15, 2023
who has actually bought dollar at these made up prices
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by IamtheTruth1(m): 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2023
whitekad:
Mad man where did u buy ur own and which bank u buy ur own, son of hatred Ipobic Biafra.
You must be a dumbass. The dude you are attacking is saying the truth.
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by crismark(m): 12:31pm On Jun 15, 2023
wallarwallar:

It wud be very hard for you to experience anything good in life if you don't believe in good things but always want to destroy others . The other idiot that claimed to bought dollar for 761 shud show us evidence . The fact that your candidate loose d election does not mean others can not deliver to us the new Nigeria we want only if you don't want to be part of the new Nigeria
Oga dollar is 761 here in lagos island.
Stop disgracing your family members
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:34pm On Jun 15, 2023
wallarwallar:

You can't use insults to force your disaster of a president into anyone's throat, you hypocritical imp.

Wait until you begin to starve from the disastrous effects of naira devaluation.
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by GoodGovernance: 12:34pm On Jun 15, 2023
dacool1:

What sort of thing are u saying. It was scarce because we are not earning enough. It's simply because of balance of payments deficit.

So when the rate floats dollar supply will improve right?

Not quite.

Floating is a better way of managing the scarcity of the dollar,rather than fixing the exchange rate.

In relative terms, floating would encourage more dollar inflow into the economy,because the exchange would be at market rate(comprising of willing buyers and willing sellers)

But if you fixed the rate,you might end up with so many excess demand from Willing buyers, but without Willing sellers,because of the unfavourably fixed exchange rate.

The alternative,for the excess demand, is the black market.

Ultimately, the supply side of the dollar can only be boosted by higher local productivity plus exports,and less dependency on imports.
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by Khyrvxjzy: 12:34pm On Jun 15, 2023
theophorus:
Some of these moves will make some people become Poor but it will create some form of equity.

Notice the AbokiFx guys are not complaining but if na people from one region like that dem go say dem dey destroy their business begin claim Victim.

u are right.

with tinubu credit system, make nobody complain, na we say usa lifestyle we want they thats what tinubu is giving us

no middle class in Nigeria na rich and poor, with these policies at least we all we be able for afford but cost, subsidy gone, free tuition gone even free health gone, nothing is free again na to borrow money buy

i even ask why our ex leaders make thing free, na this things dey give us problem now
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by tolue42(m): 12:35pm On Jun 15, 2023
Ogene001:

Tinubu will bombard the media with endless propaganda to legitimize his fraudulent regime

You bought your dollar from Bank or black mark?? Seems like you guys are illiterates self
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by waveman2: 12:38pm On Jun 15, 2023
You have forgotten that emefiele tried using the banks to sell dollar to nigerians but they were more corrupt than the BDC doing round tripping and not selling to legitimate nigerians
jcflex:
They wany to eradicate black market for us to have a unified exchange 💱 rate. You are here saying CBN should sell dollars to BDC.

Why do we have banks all arnd us. You want to create another round tripping.

Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by Nwaotu10(m): 12:40pm On Jun 15, 2023
God bless Tinubu.
Let it not be initial gragra ooo.
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by GreaterFuture(m): 12:45pm On Jun 15, 2023
Kenneth4u205:
yes black market rate . The average Nigerian on the street doesn't have access to CBN rate .
Average Nigerian...? More Like 93% of Nigerians... At the very least
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by fastseo: 12:47pm On Jun 15, 2023
KingKO22:
Asiwaju is our God sent

Naira might appreciate to 300 against dollars before December

Which of your grace would I deny

Thank you God for choosing Asiwaju for us

Which means? Will he print dollars or what means as the only hope was Dangote refinery which will stop fx on import but its confirmed that it won't go into operation till next year
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by benqo01(m): 12:49pm On Jun 15, 2023
Kenneth4u205:

I changed dollar for 755 yesterday so this 664 is what is don't understand
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by optimusprime2(m): 12:50pm On Jun 15, 2023
grandstar:

The purpose of selling dollars to the BDC is to crash the rate there and bring it close to the bank rate, which would end round tripping.

If it's crashed, there will be little room for roundtripping.

The problem during Buhari's term in office was that he, Buhari himself dictated the exchange rates and not the CBN and Emefiele enabled him.

For instance, in 2021 when the official rate was 410 and black market rate was 480 or so, the BDCs were making huge profits.

If the CBN had floated the Naira then at the official rate, many speculated the official rate would have slid to around 460, reducing huge arbitrage profits for the BDC.

But rather than devalue, the CBN preferred to ban the sale of dollars to the BDCs and requested anyone who wanted dollars to approach the banks. This was a collosal mistake as the process of obtaining dollars from banks is bureaucratic while from the BDCs was instant. This led to a quick crash of the Naira at the black market as it was starved of forex.

To be honest I understand Buhari's moves very clearly now.

The reason he did that was because of a lot corrupt activities he was trying to block especially the ones from Petroleum & fuel Subsidy (don't forget he personally handled the Petroleum portfolio). These issues had the potential to make the Naira get devalued below its actual Economic strength.

The issue right now is Nigeria has a lot of loose areas which roam without control, so one can't afford to allow a free market for fx, as it would be open season for corrupt looting- trust me, if the common man benefits, the crooks would benefit 1000x's more.

Secondly security is a big issue, just imagine a scenario where Bandits are roaming free with an easily accessible FX market...

Lastly, with the current Economic situation of Nigeria, can the banking sector withstand the pressure of FX supply?

I assure you, it seems like a good move, but in the absence of a thoroughly thought out national Economic plan, two things will occur;

1- Further Devaluation of the Naira
2- A super inflation that would be driven by fx parallel markets, due to financial institutions inability to meet fx supply .

How you ask?
Because more FX would go out than come in due to all the wuru wuru that has been left unchecked.
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by nedekid: 12:56pm On Jun 15, 2023
forgiveness:
Magical Tinubu
Oga, we want it to get better, but why are you guys doing this?
What is magical so far? I just spoke to my malam, dollar is 760, pounds is 960.
Have you called your bank if you can buy dollar at 644 you are celebrating?
Ok, cbn dollar was 460 at official rate you could get for school fees, Pta, bta, now it is 654. What are you celebrating? Is it not early?
Black market rate is even higher 760, what are you celebrating?
Chill!! Let's not be baseless sycophants. When the policy works and we see that in terms of naira appreciating then we can praise government and Tinubu for stabilizing the economy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by Jeftliu: 12:57pm On Jun 15, 2023
Kenneth4u205:
yes black market rate . The average Nigerian on the street doesn't have access to CBN rate .

Do you have access to CBN rate before is it not black market 90% nigerians are patronising when they need dollars meanwhile emefiele and his criminal gangster are making millions of dollars out of our situation still naira is falling ..let naira find his value to enable investors to come and invest in our country it's two in one

1 Like

Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by Metrofox(m): 1:02pm On Jun 15, 2023
Ogene001:
The north will not like this. Tinubu scamed them. We Igbos are enjoying the free market economy. Abooki money changers have been thrown out of business

Of course northerners generally believe in a bambiyala economy which is drastically different from the southerners capitalist way. Nigeria has been tottering because of this dichotomy. One side is ready for open markets and competition and the other one keeps dragging backwards to communism
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by Mariezaza1(m): 1:02pm On Jun 15, 2023
cybertron88:

They will now hav. All those dollars CBN was using to defend naira, will made available to banks. Aboki rate and bank rate no go pass N10. A lot of those overnight aboki millionaires will look for another trade. Wanted to buy dollars today for on-line purchase on AliExpress, I just told myself to calm down to months end.
Boss please anything you can contribute towards my school fees will be appreciated
Opay
Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by Mariezaza1(m): 1:04pm On Jun 15, 2023
Nonybb:
This man is making the 15,000 USD I have in my domiciliary account to be useless
Boss please anything you can contribute towards my school fees will be greatly appreciated
Opay
Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by jesmond3945: 1:05pm On Jun 15, 2023
optimusprime2:

To be honest I understand Buhari's moves very clearly now.

The reason he did that was because of a lot corrupt activities he was trying to block especially the ones from Petroleum & fuel Subsidy (don't forget he personally handled the Petroleum portfolio). These issues had the potential to make the Naira get devalued below its actual Economic strength.

The issue right now is Nigeria has a lot of loose areas which roam without control, so one can't afford to allow a free market for fx, as it would be open season for corrupt looting- trust me, if the common man benefits, the crooks would benefit 1000x's more.

Secondly security is a big issue, just imagine a scenario where Bandits are roaming free with an easily accessible FX market...

Lastly, with the current Economic situation of Nigeria, can the banking sector withstand the pressure of FX supply?

I assure you, it seems like a good move, but in the absence of a thoroughly thought out national Economic plan, two things will occur;

1- Further Devaluation of the Naira
2- A super inflation that would be driven by fx parallel markets, due to financial institutions inability to meet fx supply .

How you ask?
Because more FX would go out than come in due to all the wuru wuru that has been left unchecked.
i think you have to look at it the other way. It will lower demand. Remember why the demand was high because of the cbn fixed rate. It was attractive but now with this new policy people will think twice thereby reducing pressure on fx.
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by chaloskyx: 1:06pm On Jun 15, 2023
what tou guys dont know is there are 2 markets oarallel market tm(black market) and official market thats (CBN and Bank rates) prior to the changes made by BAT black market rate was $755 while CBN rates was 466 after the change the CBN rate has moved to $665 the abokis would soon be out of biz
Re: Naira Begins Recovery After Float, Closes At ₦‎664/$ At I&E Window by optimusprime2(m): 1:08pm On Jun 15, 2023
jesmond3945:
i think you have to look at it the other way. It will lower demand. Remember why the demand was high because of the cbn fixed rate. It was attractive but now with this new policy people will think twice thereby reducing pressure on fx.
Are you currently observing the inflation trend?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria, Sierra Leone Plan Currency Swap / How Elon Musk Began His Journey Of Buying Twitter (throwback Photo) / Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.