Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,025 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

I Stood Up To My Father - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Stood Up To My Father (27939 Views)

How Many Women Here Can Boldly Say, I Stood By Husband When He Had Nothing? / Is That Love? Man Stood Up The Whole 6 Hours So His Wife Could Sleep. PHOTOS / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Evergreen4(m): 12:14pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:
My dad is a really good guy, I love him so much and he's gentle most times. Though he gets angry sometimes but he's reasonable about everything he does.

I came home 11:30 which is very late and I knew that and I even hated it too that I came home this late so I was trying to avoid him even when he asked to come to his room because I had a gut feeling that things won't gi right.

But I ended up going to get my charger that was with him, then for the first 5 minutes in he was making sense about why I came home late and I was agreeing to it that it's true

Then all of a sudden he starts saying "what will people think?" "Neighbors are watching" "they'll start saying god forbid, like father like son" "I nor fit let my pikin be like this boy" "which kind family be this, see when their son dey come house?" "People are watching, people are judging" and even more words and it started getting annoying to me, then he said they will say "see when this small pikin dey come house"

It was at that moment that I shut it down, I've never been that way to him but it was so infuriating, I told him I'm not a child I'm 18 which is legal age, I work for my money, I make 50k to 300k a month on my own; no neighbors give me food when I'm hungry, the landlord doesn't clean my eyes when they hurt from viewing my phone too much so I don't give a Bleep what they think of me. I told him to not put all those orientations in my head because it affected me alot when I was younger and it made me timid and shy and scared of being myself or having different opinions and that's what I'm trying to fix in myself and my mindset now.

What I do feel bad about is last year I paid for the house rent and packing when I had alot of money, I brought it up when I was talking to him and said "I paid for this house with my own money so who is landlord or the neighbors for me to be sacred to come in and out of my own home, I know what I did is wrong and I'm sorry but don't put those bad thoughts in my head" I shouldn't have said that though by bringing up what I did for family. He only called me back and said "don't worry I won't talk to you anymore until I use my own money to pay for the house next time" I didn't say anything because i know I was wrong and nothing good would come out of talking back, I just left his room.

What's your thoughts on the matter?
You goofed by telling him you paid the rent. Who has been paying the rent before you started making money. Telling him that is like laughing him with his present predicament. Don't let flares and glamour that comes with youthfulness make you make mistakes you will end up regretting in life. Buy a bottle of good wine Or gin, and go and apologize to him. You will never know the value of that man until you wake up on day and don't see him anymore.

3 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by nnamdiosu(m): 12:14pm On Jun 16, 2023
Rayban25:

Very bad thing to rub it in his fathers face...all these children that think because they can now easily make money feel that they know everything

I'm telling you. It's well o. Let God not let our helpers disgrace us or remind the world of our inadequacies.

This life that no one knows tomorrow. It's well again o

3 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by fof1: 12:15pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:
My dad is a really good guy, I love him so much and he's gentle most times. Though he gets angry sometimes but he's reasonable about everything he does.

I came home 11:30 which is very late and I knew that and I even hated it too that I came home this late so I was trying to avoid him even when he asked to come to his room because I had a gut feeling that things won't gi right.

But I ended up going to get my charger that was with him, then for the first 5 minutes in he was making sense about why I came home late and I was agreeing to it that it's true

Then all of a sudden he starts saying "what will people think?" "Neighbors are watching" "they'll start saying god forbid, like father like son" "I nor fit let my pikin be like this boy" "which kind family be this, see when their son dey come house?" "People are watching, people are judging" and even more words and it started getting annoying to me, then he said they will say "see when this small pikin dey come house"

It was at that moment that I shut it down, I've never been that way to him but it was so infuriating, I told him I'm not a child I'm 18 which is legal age, I work for my money, I make 50k to 300k a month on my own; no neighbors give me food when I'm hungry, the landlord doesn't clean my eyes when they hurt from viewing my phone too much so I don't give a Bleep what they think of me. I told him to not put all those orientations in my head because it affected me alot when I was younger and it made me timid and shy and scared of being myself or having different opinions and that's what I'm trying to fix in myself and my mindset now.

What I do feel bad about is last year I paid for the house rent and packing when I had alot of money, I brought it up when I was talking to him and said "I paid for this house with my own money so who is landlord or the neighbors for me to be sacred to come in and out of my own home, I know what I did is wrong and I'm sorry but don't put those bad thoughts in my head" I shouldn't have said that though by bringing up what I did for family. He only called me back and said "don't worry I won't talk to you anymore until I use my own money to pay for the house next time" I didn't say anything because i know I was wrong and nothing good would come out of talking back, I just left his room.

What are You asking for really here...Go back today and Apologise to your Father...for answering back that Way you did. He is ur Daddy and can Caution or advise You...just 18Yesrs...¿¿¿

3 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by SeriouslySense(m): 12:15pm On Jun 16, 2023
hello?

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by nedu666: 12:15pm On Jun 16, 2023
kernniejay:
This is the result of a woke generation. Sad enough, some bandits above are commending Op for talking back on his father, this is the kind of society we now find ourselves. Because you are 18 and you pay family house rent, so you now have power to talk back at your father or come late at night, what happens if you are as rich as Wizkid? May be you will be asking your parents to prostrate for you to greet you every morning or you will be asking the whole street to lie down for you to walk on their back.
Anyway, in all you do, don't forget karma.

U don't understand. His anger with his father is that he was brought up to be shy and timid because of words used by his father. The shyness and timidity is affecting him, the talk of paying rent is outburst caused by his anger towards his parents. Many parents raise up shy and timid children who later in life blame and resent them for their situation.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by superCleanworks(m): 12:15pm On Jun 16, 2023
ahnie:

You're a darling dear.
You nailed it.
INNOCENT darling to an iGBOMAN calling another man darling.

IGBOMAN must hear this
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by kchaste(m): 12:16pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

Even if na u dey feed your father, cloth am, give am pocket money u didn't have the right to talk to him like that.

I can the pain u put that man for trying correct u.

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by DEBJOCH1(m): 12:16pm On Jun 16, 2023
YOU ARE GRADUALLY DIGGING YOUR GRAVE, YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST TO MAKE MONEY AT 18, A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE. IF YOU TRUELLY MAKE YOUR MONEY GENUINELY THROUGH A LEGIT MEANS, YOU NEED TO LEVEL LOW TO YOUR PARENTS, NO MATTYER WHAT.

AT 18, I TOLD MY PARENT TO STOP FUNDING MY EDUCATION, I SINGLE HANDELY PAY MY FEES TILL THE END, I NEVER REMEMBERED DISOBEYED MY LATE DAD EVEN FOR A DAY, RETRACE YOUR STEP FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. AS I SENCE, YOU SEEMS TO BE A GOOD CHILD, BUT SEEMS TO BE INFLUENCED BY THE WRONG SET OF FRIENDS. CHOOSE YOUR COMPANY WISELY.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by SeriouslySense(m): 12:16pm On Jun 16, 2023
It will be sweetening the Child now, he is 18 after all. grin grin grin

Why are Nigerians always so aggressive, even their children.

Anyways what is the secret of other cultures like Indians, where their children love and always respect their parents. Or maybe i need to get to India and just take a closer look.

96ACE:
What goes around comes around
grin

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by franchasofficia: 12:16pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

The ever merciful God that I serve will never let my son be like you.

I pray everyday against this attitude in my son. My son will forever be loyal and Obidient to me no matter his financial or economic status tomorrow just as I have been to my parents despite my little success in life, and God will answer my sincere prayers, AMEN.

Dear Lord, please may I never witness a better yesterday till I join you after I have clocked 90yrs in good health.

May I continue to have more than enough to take full responsibility of my fatherly responsibilities to my biological and adopted children, husband responsibilities to my wife, sibling responsibilities to my siblings, uncle responsibilities to my nieces, nephews, son's responsibilities to my amazing parents, to my fathers in the Lord, to you my able God and to the house of God, my neighbors, to my community, employees, business partners and to everyone I come across.

Listen, I made my first millions before I turned 18 and I submitted the whole of it to my elder sibling to manage.

I am approaching 40yrs now, I am married with kids, I am an employer of labor, a lot of people work for me both at home and at my offices. I can say I have tried in my own little way at my age but guess what? I am still loyal and obedient to my father's counsel even though he doesn't live with me and he is above 80yrs and now residing in the village.

Whenever I travel home, I dare not leave my own house after 6pm without telling my aged father where I was going cos he will be worried.

Even at my level and status in life, I don't keep late night, and if for any reason I have to, I must call my wife and inform her.

This your unruly attitude is one of the things that scares me about sending my kids abroad soon, though I trust the God I serve to help me train them while I do my best. Your action towards your father was so so bad and unruly I must tell you. Even well trained white kids don't do this to their parents, its only common among black kids abroad, especially those born in US and UK.

Young man, go back to your father and kneel down and apologize to him today, don't let another night pass before you do that or else, you maybe tampering with your future growth and lifespan.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by descarado: 12:17pm On Jun 16, 2023
Wonder why people are coming after the guy.
From that day, the dad has known his son is now an adult and will accord him respect as an adult when dealing to him.
Parents don't know when they have passed boundary.
He apologised and explained why he was late.
That's a man right there.
So I applaud him.
Hear him, that attitude affected him as a child, and papa is bringing it up again.
The worst thing you can do to your children is talk down on them. This is the beginning of low self esteem which has brought Nigeria on her knee no matter how rich one is. Almost all our men has liw self esteem. It starts from things like this when they are little. Instead of talking about love and encouraging words, we are so quick to scream and castigate. The result is the Nigeria we have today.
We all are guilty of that and that's what shape the society. We can see how our society is already shaped.

Hus dad eill apologise in due time.
He was just shocked his boy is now a man.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by DEBJOCH1(m): 12:17pm On Jun 16, 2023
YOU ARE GRADUALLY DIGGING YOUR GRAVE, YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST TO MAKE MONEY AT 18, A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE. IF YOU TRUELLY MAKE YOUR MONEY GENUINELY THROUGH A LEGIT MEANS, YOU NEED TO LEVEL LOW TO YOUR PARENTS, NO MATTER WHAT.

AT 18, I TOLD MY PARENT TO STOP FUNDING MY EDUCATION, I SINGLE HANDELY PAY MY FEES TILL THE END, I NEVER REMEMBERED DISOBEYED MY LATE DAD EVEN FOR A DAY, RETRACE YOUR STEP FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. AS I SENCE, YOU SEEMS TO BE A GOOD CHILD, BUT SEEMS TO BE INFLUENCED BY THE WRONG SET OF FRIENDS. CHOOSE YOUR COMPANY WISELY.

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by funkeyuche: 12:17pm On Jun 16, 2023
The ego you get when you make your first cashout season!
Bro you life journey just begin, try pick the vital point Dad passed, trust me he has done worst for his gentleness he shows.

please i need a car for weekly delivery.
Car fit for uber/bolt #40,000 weekly no excuse.
other cars let negotiate.
Ajah, Lagos.
zero, seven, zero 11202387.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by kchaste(m): 12:18pm On Jun 16, 2023
fof1:

What are You asking for really here...Go back today and Apologise to your Father...for answering back that Way you did. He is ur Daddy and can Caution or advise You...just 18Yesrs...¿¿¿

The small boy na fool
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by LANRYUS(m): 12:18pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

Congratulations! What an achievement. Your children too will stand up against you too.

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by mariahAngel(f): 12:19pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:
What pissed me off asides from things he said was the fact that he was putting himself down and the family down with his words all because of what other people will think. God! I hate it so much because he's been doing that for years always comparing us to other people, wanting us to behave in a way that won't upset people, to be seen as perfect and likable by everybody and when I realized this fact I start working on myself till this day, i still get that feeling of timidity but I always push through because really who gives a Bleep what people think of me that's why I was so timid when younger that I hated myself. Coming home late was wrong and I told him that yes it's true but those things he was saying is where we had the issue.

Sincerely apologize to your father.
You crossed the line when you rubbed the fact that you paid the rent in his face.
You hurt him deep.
Apologize and make amends.

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Willie2015: 12:20pm On Jun 16, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

For coming back late, and challenging the father?

An 18yr old in Nigeria is different from an 18yr old in the West.

If you believe that's what it takes to be a real man, then you're a mad man

Leave that one...

Dem never catcha am for 11.30 midnite for rituals b/4...

There is an adage in my land...

Darkness know no honourable person... grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

Omoh I guess so, I'll apologize when the time is right.... Let's just give it time. I know him well

Are you alright at all? What do you mean by give it time instead of apologizing immediately? You really don't know the implications of what you've done. Dont worry you go hear am soon

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by BATified2023: 12:21pm On Jun 16, 2023
kernniejay:

This particular boy lacks the discipline you talked about and must certainly be keeping out late in the nights for some shady unclean hustles.
I can bet he’s into crime

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by descarado: 12:22pm On Jun 16, 2023
DEBJOCH1:
YOU ARE GRADUALLY DIGGING YOUR GRAVE, YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST TO MAKE MONEY AT 18, A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE. IF YOU TRUELLY MAKE YOUR MONEY GENUINELY THROUGH A LEGIT MEANS, YOU NEED TO LEVEL LOW TO YOUR PARENTS, NO MATTER WHAT.

It is you who is digging your own grave.
Ewu
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Vision101(m): 12:23pm On Jun 16, 2023
Yeye boy. That shi shi wey you get dey shak you. You never jam life. When you jam life you go chill.

You can go ahead and sleep overnight outside. When small pikin see shi shi na so edey shak am.

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by kchaste(m): 12:23pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

Your type naim go use people sweep ground if una feed them for one day.

You are lucky your father didn't place a curse on you.

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by SeriouslySense(m): 12:23pm On Jun 16, 2023
smiley
Vision101:
Yeye boy. That shi shi wey you get dey shak you. You never jam life. When you jam life you go chill.

You can go ahead and sleep overnight outside. When small pikin see shi shi na so edey shak am.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by TheFreshVanilla: 12:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
As expected, only few will correct him. One ediot is even talking about karma. I hope you men abusing him already have a land or house to your name. Else same will happen to you.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by emerged01(m): 12:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
You just ridiculed your dad by bringing up financial assistance you rendered in securing their accommodation. The thought of being a less man you indirect called your dad will never leave him.You must apologise and you put the man back in the right frame of mind.
Learn to always control your anger in the presence of your parents. "I'm sorry ma or I'm sorry dad" promising them to work toward their advice. That's settle it!

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by kchaste(m): 12:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
Rayban25:

Are you alright at all? What do you mean by give it time instead of apologizing immediately? You really don't know the implications of what you've done. Dont worry you go hear am soon

The boy no get respect for him father

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Rhassidy360: 12:25pm On Jun 16, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:
I must commend your dad for his patience. He is a real man!

If I was your dad, you will be on a wheelchair with no arms and legs. I will report myself to the police station when I am done with you!

You have a great dad.
Don’t mind him my dad go break you na 65 old man with highest ogba for head. You dare not na just one call my old man go press for phone I swear before u open ur eyes na inside military cell. Wait until your old man die before u go start to de miss good person

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by SeriouslySense(m): 12:26pm On Jun 16, 2023
everything has its place. There is a place for moderation, honor, wealth and having self control.

If you focus on only one thing, you are going to be lacking and that is a trap itself.

TheFreshVanilla:
As expected, only few will correct him. One ediot is even talking about karma. I hope you men abusing him already have a land or house to you name. Else same will happen to you.

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by RPG2020(m): 12:26pm On Jun 16, 2023
Rule number one... make money
Rules number two....go and make money
Rules number three..... don't stop making money
Rules number four...e get why
Rules number five... So that your kids will not come back and tell you lubbish grin

That's how i live my life
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Ekugbeh(m): 12:26pm On Jun 16, 2023
The best thing you would have is, "I'm sorry sir. Something came up and I never intended to stay late"

That's what I always say to my Dad anytime I come back from UCL

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Harcom: 12:28pm On Jun 16, 2023
Would you have said that if your dad is Otedola?You are rubbing his failure right at his face.I felt bad for the man honestly.The did has been done,no amount of apology can’t erase that from his memory.
Just grow up and learn how to talk to your parent even if you are pablo.I can bet my balls the work you claim you are doing is internet related.Stop clubbing bro.it won’t end wel.At your age you should be thinking of University or learning skills that will sustain you at age old so that your own child won’t remember you of your failure in life.
Sorry for my harsh word

3 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Jeezuzpick(m): 12:28pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

Oya, pack comot from ya Papa house

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? / Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name / It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.