Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

I Stood Up To My Father - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Stood Up To My Father (27928 Views)

How Many Women Here Can Boldly Say, I Stood By Husband When He Had Nothing? / Is That Love? Man Stood Up The Whole 6 Hours So His Wife Could Sleep. PHOTOS / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by tunize(m): 3:26pm On Jun 16, 2023
The only reasonable thing i saw in all the nonsense you wrote is you been a hustler at such a young age”whatever you do to make the money nor be my cup of tea” and additionally I wouldn’t want to blame your dad or call him irresponsible because I don’t know the circumstances surrounding his inability to pay up rent he could have done better reason for the see finish.
Over Civilization has caused a lot of damages to the society so because you paid the rent, and you dey earn small small money you now feel like you birth your Dad and some fools here are applauding you for your been lousy and disrespectful to your dad.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Segzy19: 3:31pm On Jun 16, 2023
You are becoming a man....
I guess your dad was like you when he was your age. An orange doesn't fall far from its tree.

But then you have to go meet you dad and apologize. Like ' papa, I know I was wrong for challenging your authority yesterday and also about the way I spoke to you... I am sorry papa'...
That will make you more of a man...
He will understand... I'm sure he knows that you are also trying to define yourself as a man...

Our parents will always be our parents, and we will always be a child in their eyes even if one is 70 years old....

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by tunize(m): 3:38pm On Jun 16, 2023
Even at my age still running and doing things for myself and back home my mom still calls sometimes when I’m out so late to caution me i just say yes ma i done hear.
One time when i do one funny thing jokingly she gave me a small slap at the back of my head when i went visiting her and her words were “ na me born you i go fit still beat you anytime you do anyhow” did i react No i was mute i nor do big boy say I’m responsible for myself or i dey do things for house come dey insult my mama for why now?
For this life respect and honor your parents and every older person around if you want to live long.
If i be your papa i for beat you join the rent you pay oooh better style
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by loliapoopy2013(f): 3:40pm On Jun 16, 2023
You are too young for such a display of pride especially towards your father, who cares about you. But that's the age you are now, the age of feeling invincible. I just pity you and am imagining how arrogant you will behave towards others who are not family. No respect for authority, rules, and decorum because you now make money. Not your fault, we live in a society where people worship money. And so your dad must worship you because you now make 50 - 300k and pay rent. Beware, son, Pride goes before a crash. You will be a dad soon and your child will do worst.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Thebadpolitican(m): 3:42pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:
My dad is a really good guy, I love him so much and he's gentle most times. Though he gets angry sometimes but he's reasonable about everything he does.

I came home 11:30 which is very late and I knew that and I even hated it too that I came home this late so I was trying to avoid him even when he asked to come to his room because I had a gut feeling that things won't gi right.

But I ended up going to get my charger that was with him, then for the first 5 minutes in he was making sense about why I came home late and I was agreeing to it that it's true

Then all of a sudden he starts saying "what will people think?" "Neighbors are watching" "they'll start saying god forbid, like father like son" "I nor fit let my pikin be like this boy" "which kind family be this, see when their son dey come house?" "People are watching, people are judging" and even more words and it started getting annoying to me, then he said they will say "see when this small pikin dey come house"

It was at that moment that I shut it down, I've never been that way to him but it was so infuriating, I told him I'm not a child I'm 18 which is legal age, I work for my money, I make 50k to 300k a month on my own; no neighbors give me food when I'm hungry, the landlord doesn't clean my eyes when they hurt from viewing my phone too much so I don't give a Bleep what they think of me. I told him to not put all those orientations in my head because it affected me alot when I was younger and it made me timid and shy and scared of being myself or having different opinions and that's what I'm trying to fix in myself and my mindset now.

What I do feel bad about is last year I paid for the house rent and packing when I had alot of money, I brought it up when I was talking to him and said "I paid for this house with my own money so who is landlord or the neighbors for me to be sacred to come in and out of my own home, I know what I did is wrong and I'm sorry but don't put those bad thoughts in my head" I shouldn't have said that though by bringing up what I did for family. He only called me back and said "don't worry I won't talk to you anymore until I use my own money to pay for the house next time" I didn't say anything because i know I was wrong and nothing good would come out of talking back, I just left his room.

What's your thoughts on the matter?

Oga 18yrs you dey challenge your papa

If I was father I break your wings , and stop whatsoever you're getting those money from
Because it is getting into your head
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Okpetruth(m): 3:44pm On Jun 16, 2023
Foolish child. At 18 you are already full of yourself. What about all the labour your parents put in in bringing you up? Just because you happen to pay just a year rent you are now your father's father. Boy you will never go far in life. Mark my words unless you repent now.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by kkins25(m): 3:49pm On Jun 16, 2023
utter nonsense. when my father goes out and is running late, thoughts of his safety begin to cloud my mind. This still occurs even though we are not in Nigeria and in a safer environment. Nonetheless, thoughts persit. For parents that fear translate to anger most times.
At 18, living in a country like Naija, coming back to house hold where people will be worried about you when you are running late -past 11self, is a silly thing to do.

you could simply say you lost track of time. Remember, when things go rough, your family is your only support system.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by seanwilliam(m): 3:52pm On Jun 16, 2023
franchasofficia:
The ever merciful God that I serve will never let my son be like you.

I pray everyday against this attitude in my son. My son will forever be loyal and Obidient to me no matter his financial or economic status tomorrow just as I have been to my parents despite my little success in life, and God will answer my sincere prayers, AMEN.

Dear Lord, please may I never witness a better yesterday till I join you after I have clocked 90yrs in good health.

May I continue to have more than enough to take full responsibility of my fatherly responsibilities to my biological and adopted children, husband responsibilities to my wife, sibling responsibilities to my siblings, uncle responsibilities to my nieces, nephews, son's responsibilities to my amazing parents, to my fathers in the Lord, to you my able God and to the house of God, my neighbors, to my community, employees, business partners and to everyone I come across.

Listen, I made my first millions before I turned 18 and I submitted the whole of it to my elder sibling to manage.

I am approaching 40yrs now, I am married with kids, I am an employer of labor, a lot of people work for me both at home and at my offices. I can say I have tried in my own little way at my age but guess what? I am still loyal and obedient to my father's counsel even though he doesn't live with me and he is above 80yrs and now residing in the village.

Whenever I travel home, I dare not leave my own house after 6pm without telling my aged father where I was going cos he will be worried.

Even at my level and status in life, I don't keep late night, and if for any reason I have to, I must call my wife and inform her.

This your unruly attitude is one of the things that scares me about sending my kids abroad soon, though I trust the God I serve to help me train them while I do my best. Your action towards your father was so so bad and unruly I must tell you. Even well trained white kids don't do this to their parents, its only common among black kids abroad, especially those born in US and UK.

Young man, go back to your father and kneel down and apologize to him today, don't let another night pass before you do that or else, you maybe tampering with your future growth and lifespan.

I pray to God deep down my heart that you will live to eat the fruit of your labor . Infact, while going through the comments, reading yours gladdens my heart.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by bukatyne(f): 3:55pm On Jun 16, 2023
franchasofficia:

I pray everyday against this attitude in my son. My son will forever be loyal and Obidient to me no matter his financial or economic status tomorrow just as I have been to my parents despite my little success in life, and God will answer my sincere prayers, AMEN.

Dear Lord, please may I never witness a better yesterday till I join you after I have clocked 90yrs in good health.

May I continue to have more than enough to take full responsibility of my fatherly responsibilities to my biological and adopted children, husband responsibilities to my wife, sibling responsibilities to my siblings, uncle responsibilities to my nieces, nephews, son's responsibilities to my amazing parents, to my fathers in the Lord, to you my able God and to the house of God, my neighbors, to my community, employees, business partners and to everyone I come across.

Listen, I made my first millions before I turned 18 and I submitted the whole of it to my elder sibling to manage.

I am approaching 40yrs now, I am married with kids, I am an employer of labor, a lot of people work for me both at home and at my offices. I can say I have tried in my own little way at my age but guess what? I am still loyal and obedient to my father's counsel even though he doesn't live with me and he is above 80yrs and now residing in the village.

Whenever I travel home, I dare not leave my own house after 6pm without telling my aged father where I was going cos he will be worried.

Even at my level and status in life, I don't keep late night, and if for any reason I have to, I must call my wife and inform her.

This your unruly attitude is one of the things that scares me about sending my kids abroad soon, though I trust the God I serve to help me train them while I do my best. Your action towards your father was so so bad and unruly I must tell you. Even well trained white kids don't do this to their parents, its only common among black kids abroad, especially those born in US and UK.

Young man, go back to your father and kneel down and apologize to him today, don't let another night pass before you do that or else, you maybe tampering with your future growth and lifespan.

Amen!

This is how we were brought up.

And why is the 18yr old son the one paying the rent? What is he doing to earn that the father can't do? undecided

I firmly believe that parents should be responsible for their children till they are adults and branch out to fend for themselves through jobs/business/handiwork.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Drone95(m): 4:09pm On Jun 16, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:
I must commend your dad for his patience. He is a real man!

If I was your dad, you will be on a wheelchair with no arms and legs. I will report myself to the police station when I am done with you!

You have a great dad.
why did you Want to injure urself? Beating 18yrs boy? grin. If e dent u for eyes sorry is ur name sir
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Kyra1(f): 4:13pm On Jun 16, 2023
Why will you talk to your father like that. You paid the house rent. Has he not been the one paying it before you did. Now your dad will start thinking about it and be worried. Can't you just do something for him and forget about it. You didn't do well.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by PoliteActivist: 4:13pm On Jun 16, 2023
descarado:

Thank you.

People ought know, you become like who you associate with
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by REALretep(m): 4:17pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:
My dad is a really good guy, I love him so much and he's gentle most times. Though he gets angry sometimes but he's reasonable about everything he does.

I came home 11:30 which is very late and I knew that and I even hated it too that I came home this late so I was trying to avoid him even when he asked to come to his room because I had a gut feeling that things won't gi right.

But I ended up going to get my charger that was with him, then for the first 5 minutes in he was making sense about why I came home late and I was agreeing to it that it's true

Then all of a sudden he starts saying "what will people think?" "Neighbors are watching" "they'll start saying god forbid, like father like son" "I nor fit let my pikin be like this boy" "which kind family be this, see when their son dey come house?" "People are watching, people are judging" and even more words and it started getting annoying to me, then he said they will say "see when this small pikin dey come house"

It was at that moment that I shut it down, I've never been that way to him but it was so infuriating, I told him I'm not a child I'm 18 which is legal age, I work for my money, I make 50k to 300k a month on my own; no neighbors give me food when I'm hungry, the landlord doesn't clean my eyes when they hurt from viewing my phone too much so I don't give a Bleep what they think of me. I told him to not put all those orientations in my head because it affected me alot when I was younger and it made me timid and shy and scared of being myself or having different opinions and that's what I'm trying to fix in myself and my mindset now.

What I do feel bad about is last year I paid for the house rent and packing when I had alot of money, I brought it up when I was talking to him and said "I paid for this house with my own money so who is landlord or the neighbors for me to be sacred to come in and out of my own home, I know what I did is wrong and I'm sorry but don't put those bad thoughts in my head" I shouldn't have said that though by bringing up what I did for family. He only called me back and said "don't worry I won't talk to you anymore until I use my own money to pay for the house next time" I didn't say anything because i know I was wrong and nothing good would come out of talking back, I just left his room.

The conclusion of the matter is simply that it is time for you to leave your father's house and move into your own flat. If you keep staying, you may keep having avoidable problems with your dad which won't be good for the both of you
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by delpee(f): 4:20pm On Jun 16, 2023
This woke generation is something else!

@OP
For as long as you choose to live with your parents, please respect them. It's for your own good. The fact that you're earning and you supported your dad in his downtime is not enough reason to be rude to him. Can you fully pay him back for his sacrifices over the years? This is not about money but also about time and energy put into running the home.

I feel so sad for him because you made him feel incompetent as a dad. His ego is bruised. He may not say anything but such silent misery usually has an impact on one's health.

Apologise to him. If you feel too big to be corrected, you can live on your own. The truth is that only nonchalant or irresponsible parents won't correct you when you're wrong.

You'll understand it better when you have your own kids.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:27pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

you had the right to defend yourself but i think you did it wrongly

1st you should have reminded him that, yes am
cam home late but "If raised me well and try me" then you should worry about what people think and say becoz you raised me well

2nd saying you are above 18 you are now challenging him in his own house, you should have not said that

3rd Remind him off all the good he has taught you and how much you have gained from his teaching and gaudiance

4th whether good or bad people will always talk, he doesnt have to live based on what people say but what makes him and his family happy
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Drone95(m): 4:29pm On Jun 16, 2023
Op u no add say u drank satchet action bitters? grin
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by lieutenantprime(m): 4:35pm On Jun 16, 2023
na2016:

God bless you. Don't mind that Ido!t calling you weak.

Amen My Brother. Make God Bless Us All.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by viodemus: 5:17pm On Jun 16, 2023
I admire your courage about shielding yourself from his indoctrination. I just hope it was not a charged atmosphere where you might have confronted him aggressively. You didn't say that was how it played out, but I hope it didn't go down that way.

At 18, you still have a lot to learn, even at a higherage. Am open to learning, listening, and taking corrections if applicable, at my age (and am now over 18 years, older than 18. Just remember, you can get your point across to him diplomatically, even if your dad was initially aggressive. You can hold your points in until later, then one on one, you can engage him in a mature conversation.

One on one, my style used to be, --- Daddy, I felt someway about that thing you said, earlier/late yesterday/whenever (hopefully not too long ago). or I honestly feel/felt indifferent about .......

then he might say - what is it? what do you mean? or aggressively answer you.

then you go from there.

at some point if he wants to just yell or gragra the whole conversation, then you can point that out, after he shows that style of actions multiple times.
--- daddy, you see what am saying, this is one of the actions that hinders our points from getting across to each other.

You will also need to be prepared to absorb his initial or the early conversation engagement heat. Two hot heads trying to converse, is an explosion about to happen. So you will have to engineer a relief port.

One of my way, was, ----- daddy, I hope you know I love you, but you don't want to let me talk about how ---- i have been paying bills without help from those neighbors you complain about.

As long as you did not personally disrespect, steal, destroy or disrespect their property, put them in danger, ----- then you have something to say.

One time, when I was younger, I was sitting in the chair, not really watching the tv, but there was an American movie playing, there was a conversational engagement between family members, ----- that's where I got that format from, and then reengineered it to my own format, and with continuous engagement, I refined it.

Sometimes, the solution is to listen for short or long periods of time, and then say okay I hear you, I will make adjustments or consider your advice.

You both can learn from each other.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by erumena(m): 5:36pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

What goes around comes around, ask God and your Dad for forgiveness……a word is enough for the wise.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by franchasofficia: 5:43pm On Jun 16, 2023
bukatyne:

Amen!

This is how we were brought up.

And why is the 18yr old son the one paying the rent? What is he doing to earn that the father can't do? undecided

I firmly believe that parents should be responsible for their children till they are adults and branch out to fend for themselves through jobs/business/handiwork.

That's how it ought to be but due to failed Nigerian economy as a result of failed leadership of several years, many fathers are unable to provide for their family making some young boys to become breadwinners at tender age through illegalities and crime cry
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by franchasofficia: 5:44pm On Jun 16, 2023
seanwilliam:

I pray to God deep down my heart that you will live to eat the fruit of your labor . Infact, while going through the comments, reading yours gladdens my heart.
AMEN brother, and you too smiley
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by histemple: 5:53pm On Jun 16, 2023
May God not allow us to have a damaged and disrespectful child like you In Jesus mighty name, Amen!!!
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Incrediblekutty(m): 5:57pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

Wonders shall never end!! Pele O... Otedola and Dangote combined

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Pacesetter2021: 6:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
You acted very immature.

I am not perfect either.

I appeal that you go and apologize to your father

It's disrespectful to him that you came home at that time.

No matter how big a tree gets, without its roots,it is dead. So no matter how gigantic a tree gets,it must remain humble to the root.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by jideisaacs: 6:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
It is very wrong of you to stand up to your dad in such a manner. Even you are feeling bad about it. Just go and apologise to your dad. Knowing fully well that you described him as a reasonable man.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by BinamRex: 6:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
DonEd:
Pride...

Just because u paid the rent for one year, u have become equal with ur dad who has housed, clothed, and fed u for over 18 years.

The discipline we received from our parents is the principal factor why we are not on the streets as thugs and miscreants.

Time will come when u will value the discipline that's if you will get off that high horse in ur head.

Kids

The poster is a bombastic element. He should keep on keeping late nights until SARS arrests him at night and falsely accuse him of being a kidnapper, then kill him and harvest his organs.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by 00FFT00(m): 7:02pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

You made your point, albeit with a small f'up. Find a quiet moment, snug up to your dad, tell him you were totally wrong on the money comment. Ask him to forgive you, and assure him he enjoys your highest esteem at all times.

You bruised his ego, but you needed to finally grow up. Take his favorite drink with you to that meeting.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by DamianDd: 7:11pm On Jun 16, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

Oga 18yrs you dey challenge your papa

If I was father I break your wings , and stop whatsoever you're getting those money from
Because it is getting into your head

Lol
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by DamianDd: 7:28pm On Jun 16, 2023
nedu666:

U don't understand. His anger with his father is that he was brought up to be shy and timid because of words used by his father. The shyness and timidity is affecting him, the talk of paying rent is outburst caused by his anger towards his parents. Many parents raise up shy and timid children who later in life blame and resent them for their situation.

Like I said I'm really sorry about it, don't know why people saying these things regardless I fully understand that opinions differ. I'm not an outrageous person, just a calm reasonable personal like my dad. I can't fight with my father I love him too much for that. I bursted out of anger because damn... I know how bad my life was because I was shy and timid, you understand that but people don't and this way they keep replying is wrong there's no need to reign insults on me. I'm 18 a "young adult" still growing mentally as well, I bleeped up and it's something that can be corrected. Life is a continuous learning process
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by DamianDd: 7:31pm On Jun 16, 2023
From a man your age this is totally wrong, I'm asking for corrections because what I did was wrong. Are mistakes a sin as well or is corrections not accepted in African traditions. If you think I was prideful and evil the way you have portrayed me in your prayers now would I ever come here to ask for opinions. Regardless of your age what you've done is wrong in all levels, I'm not a devil neither did I kill anybody

franchasofficia:

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by DamianDd: 7:50pm On Jun 16, 2023
PoliteActivist:

He is 18. You are assuming his dad can physically beat him up.
I'm not surprised his dad is poor. That's exactly what his type of attitude leads to and he's trying to pass it on to his son and the poor kid instinctively knows it's wrong and resisting.
OP, my advice, be very respectful towards your dad but be away from him as much as you can. Move out of his house as soon as you can afford it. The greatest gift you can give yourself is freedom from what people think. He is unfortunate to have the opposite and he's doing his best to pass it on to you!

I won't lie, it's true and I feel bad for him.... He's lost jobs and contracts because of people pleasing, fighting for people that won't fight for him, doing things that most of his friends don't even do for him. When he has he carries them along but when he doesn't they forget him and he knows this but still doesn't bother. It's through these times he's starting to know being nice doesn't pay at all because there literally no one for him except few people we can count. For those asking what I do, I'm an online marketer and an Idealist... I make money of ideas and marketing free and paid sites still it's not an easy job and I left him because was having a headache after looking at my phone for long but I lost track of time. What I did was genuinely wrong and I know but I need opinions because my judgement was blurred. I'm reasonable as my dada is maybe even more, my goal is becoming the best version of myself at a young age so growth in the proper way is my top priority to not be like the majority. People on here are tackling the issue with emotions and insults and it's bad when all I need was a few opinions that's all. I will apologize to him but again saying that I should care what other people think of me is what I dont want to keep hearing but what I did was wrong and if you read the post well you know I kept saying that "what I did was wrong and I'm sorry" note I didn't shout for him and I would never do that, I just spoke assertively. I've been supporting family for well over 2 years and I've never said a thing, this was just out of anger and I didn't know why
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by NamelessOGBENI(m): 8:02pm On Jun 16, 2023
Pipefitter:
I think the fact that you make small change monthly entered your head, would you had shut him down if he was the one paying the rent and taking care of you? get this straight, if you weren't earning money, your dad will never ask you to leave his house and will never stop advising you as he tried to do. But because you think you've made it, you had the guts to challenge your dad, he wasn't aggressive not violent... No, just his personal opinion which you could have handled differently then you chose to humiliate him, I'm sure he's regretting why he's living in a house you pay for or the woes that befell him financially, then with your arrogance you expect to be applauded... Shame on you. Like father like son indeed..
One thing sure me, that man (his dad) will see through thick and thin to pay the next rent. He's a man after all, we can't stomach disrespect from others.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

He Wants To Marry Me, But He’s A Married Man!!! / Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name / It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.