Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,775 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

I Stood Up To My Father - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Stood Up To My Father (27927 Views)

How Many Women Here Can Boldly Say, I Stood By Husband When He Had Nothing? / Is That Love? Man Stood Up The Whole 6 Hours So His Wife Could Sleep. PHOTOS / My Father-in-law Is Making My Wife To Disrespect Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by LikeAking: 2:11pm On Jun 16, 2023
NOETHNICITY:
https://www.nairaland.com/damiandd
@ damiandd, I’m twice your age. I am responsible for my parents 100% and more. I do so much more for them. Whenever I travel home during festivals with my family, my dad still quarrels about the time I come home which is usually between 8.30pm and latest 9pm. But I have never ever even for once showed or expressed my anger.
I’m one person who has never ever all my life expressed anger towards my parents till this age. And I’m proud of myself for this very reason. And my parents see me as the best possible person anyone can have a relationship parent.
Learn to kill the pride in you.
This pride is the very reason God has not deemed it fit to bless a lot of people. He knows they cannot handle riches. People become oppressive when they are rich. Learn and go kneel down to beg your father for forgiveness

That's is you.

Na your type your boss they insult for office...
Man up..

Emancipate ya sef from mental slavery..

Nigerian father's don't have anything meaningful to teach their children apart from aimless discipline and respect..

What did any Nigerian fada invent or create in dia time?

Baba learn to man up to ya popsi and mumsi when you become a man.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Bennysam: 2:11pm On Jun 16, 2023
LikeAking:

Nice!

You are a real man..

You called him a real man for insulting his father? You must be a useless son to your father
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by wunmi590(m): 2:12pm On Jun 16, 2023

That's not a nice way to speak to your old man, please irrespective of who pay rent, that shouldn't warrant you to speak to him like that....

I'm married with kid, my family is in abeokuta, as wife works there and I go every weekend...

So I stay in my family house, obalende to be precise and I work in lekki, once it's 5pm, they start calling me to ask when I'm leaving office...

That's a family that care about you, if anything happen to you, the first person they will call is still your old man..

Please be nice to him, go and meet him kneel down and apologies, it won't take away anything from..

Peace ✌️
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by adecz: 2:13pm On Jun 16, 2023
If you feel you are now a big boy,
why not go solo and move into your
own apartment where you can come
and go as you wish..

There can't be 2 ogas in a house.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Bennysam: 2:13pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

Omoh I guess so, I'll apologize when the time is right.... Let's just give it time. I know him well
Next time listen and and apologise for coming back later others ignore it and move on
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Bennysam: 2:14pm On Jun 16, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:
I must commend your dad for his patience. He is a real man!

If I was your dad, you will be on a wheelchair with no arms and legs. I will report myself to the police station when I am done with you!

You have a great dad.
I swear that's exactly what I will do, I read this post through with anger
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by MeineMutter: 2:16pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:
My dad is a really good guy, I love him so much and he's gentle most times. Though he gets angry sometimes but he's reasonable about everything he does.

I came home 11:30 which is very late and I knew that and I even hated it too that I came home this late so I was trying to avoid him even when he asked to come to his room because I had a gut feeling that things won't gi right.

But I ended up going to get my charger that was with him, then for the first 5 minutes in he was making sense about why I came home late and I was agreeing to it that it's true

Then all of a sudden he starts saying "what will people think?" "Neighbors are watching" "they'll start saying god forbid, like father like son" "I nor fit let my pikin be like this boy" "which kind family be this, see when their son dey come house?" "People are watching, people are judging" and even more words and it started getting annoying to me, then he said they will say "see when this small pikin dey come house"

It was at that moment that I shut it down, I've never been that way to him but it was so infuriating, I told him I'm not a child I'm 18 which is legal age, I work for my money, I make 50k to 300k a month on my own; no neighbors give me food when I'm hungry, the landlord doesn't clean my eyes when they hurt from viewing my phone too much so I don't give a Bleep what they think of me. I told him to not put all those orientations in my head because it affected me alot when I was younger and it made me timid and shy and scared of being myself or having different opinions and that's what I'm trying to fix in myself and my mindset now.

What I do feel bad about is last year I paid for the house rent and packing when I had alot of money, I brought it up when I was talking to him and said "I paid for this house with my own money so who is landlord or the neighbors for me to be sacred to come in and out of my own home, I know what I did is wrong and I'm sorry but don't put those bad thoughts in my head" I shouldn't have said that though by bringing up what I did for family. He only called me back and said "don't worry I won't talk to you anymore until I use my own money to pay for the house next time" I didn't say anything because i know I was wrong and nothing good would come out of talking back, I just left his room.

What's your thoughts on the matter?

Man. You were wrong! Please, apologize to him.
It’s the financial freedom you have that’s making you to think your ‘dad’s mouth is smelling’.
Learn how to manage elders.

I am certain when you grow up, you too would want to ‘condition’ some of your children l, as one of your hailers has said here and your child/children would see things differently. Will you be happy to see your children stand up to you and shout on you?

Understand his point of argument and, humanly possible, let him see the reasons while you were late to come home.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by eepeepook: 2:17pm On Jun 16, 2023
So many children on Nairaland. Off to the next thread. OP fit never write JAMB yet.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by NoToPile: 2:21pm On Jun 16, 2023
kokorokoman:
baba, the thing pain me ehn, i just dey here just dey feel for him papa.
olonhun, if to say na my front the boy dey talk these things ehn, the kind better slap wey i for take reset the boy brain ehn.
wetin pain me pass for everything na dat ''i paid for packing''.
the werey still had to add the ''packing''.
these kind children wey dey form ''i am a man'' for their papa no dey fit look their age mate face to face for outside o.

Loool I thought I was the only one that noticed that part too.

Meaning na me pay house rent even ordinary packing sef them no fit pay na me even pay for parking sef as small as it is.

Na so elders go translate am.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by GboyegaD(m): 2:21pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

Omoh I guess so, I'll apologize when the time is right.... Let's just give it time. I know him well

Please do ASAP as you don't know what is going on within him since last night. You are becoming a man and there are many things we mask just to make things look so good on the surface.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by okewumi: 2:22pm On Jun 16, 2023
I don't know the state you reside but l know how terrible it is apart from Lagos, ph and Abuja at that time of the day. In fact some areas outside Lagos like Ibadan, Ogun state etc is always like mid-night when it is 9:30pm.
Just imagine coming back 11:30pm without doing something tangible. It is people at home that always feel the pressure, not you that are coming home. They will be peping through window from 10pm and l doubt if you call to update them of coming late

Value what u have now which are your parent because they will not be with u for ever. Don't be arrogant to them. Try and make them happy
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Dididrumz(m): 2:22pm On Jun 16, 2023
Horerku:

I consider everybody here hailing you as idiots, lowlives, fools and senseless humans cos they have lost the little fear of God they should have. One of the greatest asset a man can have is/are supportive parents. You are meant to love and respect them. OP already figured out he did wrong by speaking back to his father the way he did, that shows the sign of someone with conscience.

See the dangers of the internet? So many people are just allowing the devil to use them in giving devilish advise to this small boy.

Na God go help us for the world.
If this OP na my Younger brother ehhn, the drilling e go collect ehhn, he'll not forget it in a hurry.

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by kokorokoman: 2:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
LikeAking:

Don't have that mind set...

Just calm down, when you become a father no too carry children Matt's for head, just focus on your hustle...

Allow children once them turn 18, to get hustle, trade or skill like Op and live their lives.

If the child was in his own house will his dad's question him?

Will he even know what's happening?

still no sense, so i should focus on my hustle and live my teen child that lives under my roof alone?
i am the first child of six, i lost my dad in 1999.
most of my junior siblings grew up under my roof both in naija and a neighboring african country, i mean male and female.
my immediate younger bro was far more than 18, making his own money and was very free, i mean i never for once encroached on his rights.
but that doesnt stop me from getting angry whenever he comes home at midnight, i go paro for am and he understands.
except i am aware he went somewhere or he called.
there are times my junior bro offsets my bills, sometimes he takes up the cooking expenses for months but never for once has he reminded me that he did this and that, if he try am e don done for am be that, he cant even say such in the first place because the guy get sense.
do you know what it means to attack a man's ego? your papa for that matter.
i still repeat, if to so i fit catch this op so, i for go flog am for him papa present till the old man go satisfy and ask me to stop.
the boy too arrogant and mumu.
abi you no see were he said ''i paid for house rent and packing'' na dat packing pain me pass.
this matter really pain me sha, i just dey imangine hoe the old man would have felt.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by MeineMutter: 2:25pm On Jun 16, 2023
kokorokoman:
baba you know say we done first get banter before sha.
even if you are 40 years old man and you are under your father's roof if you come home by 12 midnight every father have the right to question you not to talk of a teenager wey never know anythng for life sef.
not that the father was even harsh to him with words, what the dad even said to him were the kindest words any man can use to caution his teen child.
why my teenage son go come home 12 midnight i go come dey use mouth tell am about what neighbors will think, the action i go take againt am is better left unsaid. no be say na work you go, no be say dem send you message, no be say you even call home say you go come late.
i swear this kind yeye pikin cannot look directly into the eyes of his age mates o.
na your papa you wan take practice confidence, mugu.
i just a teenager with a bloated ego because of small small money wey he don dey see, the way he stated how much he earns and had to even mention that he paid for packing join house rent tells much about him, the one wey pain me pass na the packing wey he still go mention join.
for your info, an 18 year old in my neigborhood in benin city spent 6 million naira in treating his mum of cancer, had to fly her outside nigeria.
18 year olds don dey buy cars and build houses and you dey here dey talk nonsense.
the thing just pain me for body like say na me be him papa.

God would bless you.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by LikeAking: 2:31pm On Jun 16, 2023
kokorokoman:
still no sense, so i should focus on my hustle and live my teen child that lives under my roof alone?
i am the first child of six, i lost my dad in 1999.
most of my junior siblings grew up under my roof both in naija and a neighboring african country, i mean male and female.
my immediate younger bro was far more than 18, making his own money and was very free, i mean i never for once encroached on his rights.
but that doesnt stop me from getting angry whenever he comes home at midnight, i go paro for am and he understands.
except i am aware he went somewhere or he called.
there are times my junior bro offsets my bills, sometimes he takes up the cooking expenses for months but never for once has he reminded me that he did this and that, if he try am e don done for am be that, he cant even say such in the first place because the guy get sense.
do you know what it means to attack a man's ego? your papa for that matter.
i still repeat, if to so i fit catch this op so, i for go flog am for him papa present till the old man go satisfy and ask me to stop.
the boy too arrogant and mumu.
abi you no see were he said ''i paid for house rent and packing'' na dat packing pain me pass.
this matter really pain me sha, i just dey imangine hoe the old man would have felt.

He has to tell his dad's the bita truth, he is man, he can take care of him self..

We need more kids like Op in Nigeria..

Dem Tinubu Dem, get many children and they are very busy men... They don't have time for children mata..

U get..

Just focus on your hustle..
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Willie2015: 2:32pm On Jun 16, 2023
[quote author=LikeAking post=123835190]

Things have changed..

This is not the old school era.

All the strong hand is our old sch parents what has it done for us? Nigeria is in its worst state toady cos of old sch parents parenting.

It's the new generation that enjoyed free hand and have woke parents who are making it big.

You need to give your children space to build their own lives and discover things. Don't be too clingy...

Learn from the mistakes of old sch fadas. Most of them are enemies to their kid today.

[/

Things have changed..

But principles dont change...

That means the law of Honor...

If you cant honor your father....

Who else do you want to honor....?

Even as you give them space to build their lives...

They must understand the core principles of life....

Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged and that it may go well with you.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Mikky007: 2:35pm On Jun 16, 2023
The fact remains that you are wrong in saying these things to him the way you did. No matter the circumstances, he is still your father and you will always be his boy. Go apologise for your wrongdoing and get along with him again. A phone call could have made the difference here so try and do better next time too
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by LikeAking: 2:37pm On Jun 16, 2023
[quote author=Willie2015 post=123836352][/quote]

That's what the colonial masters used to device us..

Na that honor ya dad's and Moda and respect elders spoil this country..

Same elders destroying the futures of the youths.

Youths must resist the opresion of our elders.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by kokorokoman: 2:38pm On Jun 16, 2023
LikeAking:

He has to tell his dad's the bita truth, he is man, he can take care of him self..

We need more kids like Op in Nigeria..

Dem Tinubu Dem, get many children and they are very busy men... They don't have time for children mata..

U get..

Just focus on your hustle..

do you even know that these dem tinubu you are using as exmaple, their kids do not have the temerity cross their compound gate without an official approval from their dad, mum or whoever is in charge?
its just clear you are one mbeke forming woke.
you for just tell op make he carry olosho come knack for him papa bed na since we are in new generation na.
in all of this na the boy papa i just dey pity for.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by LikeAking: 2:43pm On Jun 16, 2023
kokorokoman:
do you even know that these dem tinubu you are using as exmaple, their kids do not have the temerity cross their compound gate without an official approval from their dad, mum or whoever is in charge?
its just clear you are one mbeke forming woke.
you for just tell op make he carry olosho come knack for him papa bed na since we are in new generation na.
in all of this na the boy papa i just dey pity for.

You know Sabi Dem Tinubu kids..
Calm down..

Dem Tinubu Dem are hardly at home, how will they they control the movement of their kids?

Those big guys are the real father's, they understand life Dipper..

They know they have to raise strong kids, so they allow their kids do thier thing, mingle, get burnt, become wiser...

Form dia own cliques, etc.

Na the poor fadas they dull..
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by lieutenantprime(m): 2:44pm On Jun 16, 2023
I Just Dey laugh reading this your story ooo.

Hahahaha. If na my papa you get mind talk to like that ehn?
haaaa... Bro... Haaaa.... Walai just go dig yah grave.

Because of 300k monthly wey you dey get? If you come dey earn Millions you go say make hin lie down turn am to rug carpet dey waka untop am? You no try ooooo.

Of recent i buy popsi benz of 8MIL, as i dey give am the keys, na my long nails him dey look, E make sure i cut am before, hin collect the keys.

Come see questions, food dey house, na loan you collect, how yah wife, you don pay yah children school fees, how work dey go, how business, you supposed use the money buy land, or add to your business, you dey lean oo, you no dey chop, wetin you dey think.....

Still on stil na to keep quite oo, i no fit talk back no matter what my brother. I respect that man bro. I do.
That man has been running my background needs since day one even at the expense of his own needs.

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by LikeAking: 2:46pm On Jun 16, 2023
lieutenantprime:

Because of 300k monthly wey you dey get? If you come dey earn Millions you go say make hin lie down turn am to rug carpet dey waka untop am? You no try ooooo.

Of recent i buy popsi benz of 8MIL, as i dey give am the keys, na my long nails him dey look, E make sure i cut am before, hin collect the keys.

Come see questions, food dey house, na loan you collect, how yah wife, you don pay yah children school fees, how work dey go, how business, you supposed use the money buy land, or add to your business, you dey lean oo, you no dey chop, wetin you dey think.....

Still on stil na to keep quite oo, i no fit talk back no matter what my brother. I respect that man bro. I do.
That man has been running my background needs since day one even at the expense of his own needs.

You no strong..

U weak..
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by na2016: 2:52pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:
My dad is a really good guy, I love him so much and he's gentle most times. Though he gets angry sometimes but he's reasonable about everything he does.

I came home 11:30 which is very late and I knew that and I even hated it too that I came home this late so I was trying to avoid him even when he asked to come to his room because I had a gut feeling that things won't gi right.

But I ended up going to get my charger that was with him, then for the first 5 minutes in he was making sense about why I came home late and I was agreeing to it that it's true

Then all of a sudden he starts saying "what will people think?" "Neighbors are watching" "they'll start saying god forbid, like father like son" "I nor fit let my pikin be like this boy" "which kind family be this, see when their son dey come house?" "People are watching, people are judging" and even more words and it started getting annoying to me, then he said they will say "see when this small pikin dey come house"

It was at that moment that I shut it down, I've never been that way to him but it was so infuriating, I told him I'm not a child I'm 18 which is legal age, I work for my money, I make 50k to 300k a month on my own; no neighbors give me food when I'm hungry, the landlord doesn't clean my eyes when they hurt from viewing my phone too much so I don't give a Bleep what they think of me. I told him to not put all those orientations in my head because it affected me alot when I was younger and it made me timid and shy and scared of being myself or having different opinions and that's what I'm trying to fix in myself and my mindset now.

What I do feel bad about is last year I paid for the house rent and packing when I had alot of money, I brought it up when I was talking to him and said "I paid for this house with my own money so who is landlord or the neighbors for me to be sacred to come in and out of my own home, I know what I did is wrong and I'm sorry but don't put those bad thoughts in my head" I shouldn't have said that though by bringing up what I did for family. He only called me back and said "don't worry I won't talk to you anymore until I use my own money to pay for the house next time" I didn't say anything because i know I was wrong and nothing good would come out of talking back, I just left his room.

Go and apologize to your father urgently. Also anytime you help anyone, never talk about it during your conversation. It hurts badly and the person may never forgive you. Apologize as soon as possible and try and be going home early if not for anything but because of your own security.

2 Likes

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by na2016: 2:54pm On Jun 16, 2023
lieutenantprime:

God bless you. Don't mind that Ido!t calling you weak.

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Johnkennie(m): 3:03pm On Jun 16, 2023
Many guys like you have dropped out from their father's house because they cannot take the disciplinary root any longer...

You're lucky, making 50-300K at 18. Drop out too.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by gtassure: 3:05pm On Jun 16, 2023
DamianDd:

You are a St*pid son, if you are 18 years, you should pay your own bill and get your own apartment!

1 Like

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by Shikena(m): 3:13pm On Jun 16, 2023
As some others have mentioned, you are a real man.

Let things cool down a bit so he has enough time to review his reaction which provoked you then go ahead and apologize to him. Avoid any talk back no matter what he says, stay in control!

Start planning your move out of the family house. You are an adult and I believe you are into something legit. The older generation somehow believe they are running a ship with no room for two captains. There are two men in that house.

Move out and be aware that deep down, the man is proud of you. He is only facing a pschological confusion between culture-driven ego and reality.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by wahles(m): 3:16pm On Jun 16, 2023
Bibina59:

I wish my father was still alive so I could apologize for all the things I did to him, especially how I took him to an event in his car but left with the car to go and join my friends who were protesting a rigged election result. I left my father to use public transport back home. Another occasion I begged him to allow me use his car after taking him to an occasion and back, but he refused so I left the car outside the compound refusing to drive inside and park well. May God forgive me and continue to grant my father eternal rest.
Amen Amen… the real MVPs
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by bigtt76(f): 3:18pm On Jun 16, 2023
You allowed your ego to belittle your dad, not good. What I would have done will be to assure him that I'm not into any illegal act and that people would always talk which is fine and that he should not worry you are trying your best to not let it happen again... Calm him down.

Don't you ever try to make your dad feel little about himself or not being able to provide for the family and stop feeling woke. He meant well for you.

DamianDd:

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by VULCAN(m): 3:20pm On Jun 16, 2023
You are naturally violent.

Better go for anger mgt

Because unless you are just a keyboard warrior making empty noise, you will attempt to beat someone up one day and at the end you may lose your own life.

There is nothing he said that warrants such a reaction from a well adjusted father.

SangoOlukosoOba:
I must commend your dad for his patience. He is a real man!

If I was your dad, you will be on a wheelchair with no arms and legs. I will report myself to the police station when I am done with you!

You have a great dad.
Re: I Stood Up To My Father by VULCAN(m): 3:22pm On Jun 16, 2023
Apart from the apology, pls treat your dad with kids gloves

He is suffering from a complex which may have been placed on him by his own father or guardians from childhood.

Now he wants to pass it down to you

Pity him and surround him with love

DamianDd:

Re: I Stood Up To My Father by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 3:24pm On Jun 16, 2023
An 18-year-old thinks of himself as an adult. You are still a child, boy. Paying bills at home no mean say you dey grown. Wasted generation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

He Wants To Marry Me, But He’s A Married Man!!! / Married Women Using Their Father's Name As Middle Name / It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.