Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,808 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 (37435 Views)

Deji Akinyanju Is The Founder of Chicken Republic / Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Man Slumps & Dies At Bank In Delta After Waiting Several Hours To Withdraw Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by chigoziri2403(m): 9:48pm On Jun 16, 2023
Sheguama:

Emmanuel Ifeajuna was a Nigerian army Major and high jumper. He was the first Black African to win a gold medal at an international sports event when he won at the 1954 British Empire and Commonwealth Games in Canada.
He later gained admission into the University of Ibadan and played active campus politics.
He enlisted into the Army after graduation and became one of the 5 young Nigerian Army officers that led the first Nigerian military coup in 1966 alongside Major Kaduna Nzeogu, Wale Adegboyega , Chris Anuforo and others.
The coup failed, and it led to so many crises that eventually culminated into the Nigerian-Biafra civil war in 1967.
Ifeajuna fought on the side of Biafra.
But then he fell out with the Biafra warlord Odumegu Ojukwu along the line. He was executed on the orders of Ojukwu on September 20, 1967.
He was married and had 2 sons.
He was a native of Onitsha.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by OlawaleBammie: 9:51pm On Jun 16, 2023
piyoo91:
yes you right, is a missionary school and my father was a security man at that church, though we are christians from gidan zallah bungudu L.G.A
U mean u re a hausa xtian??

Oohh, only God knows how tribulated ur father and mother would be then?? I pity them embarassed

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Desire18: 9:51pm On Jun 16, 2023
OlawaleBammie:

Guy omooooo na this thing a wan type before oohhh...are from ekiti because that was our songs those days grin grin.

But if u re not from ekiti then how did children used to communicate in those days that the song composed in Ondo will be heard in oyo even without phone?? grin grin
I am from kwara. Even students from far north had their rhymes in English though😎😎😎

I think others Leary it during theholidays
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Yoighaman(m): 9:54pm On Jun 16, 2023
If you didn't use any of these books, then you must be a kid.

May God grant him eternal rest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by OlawaleBammie: 9:54pm On Jun 16, 2023
Desire18:

I am from kwara. Even students from far north had their rhymes in English though😎😎😎

I think others Leary it during theholidays

Ooh it's tru, mingling while holidaying..u re right

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Yoighaman(m): 9:58pm On Jun 16, 2023
Sheguama:

Emmanuel Ifeajuna was a Nigerian army Major and high jumper. He was the first Black African to win a gold medal at an international sports event when he won at the 1954 British Empire and Commonwealth Games in Canada.
He later gained admission into the University of Ibadan and played active campus politics.
He enlisted into the Army after graduation and became one of the 5 young Nigerian Army officers that led the first Nigerian military coup in 1966 alongside Major Kaduna Nzeogu, Wale Adegboyega , Chris Anuforo and others.
The coup failed, and it led to so many crises that eventually culminated into the Nigerian-Biafra civil war in 1967.
Ifeajuna fought on the side of Biafra.
But then he fell out with the Biafra warlord Odumegu Ojukwu along the line. He was executed on the orders of Ojukwu on September 20, 1967.
He was married and had 2 sons.
He was a native of Onitsha.

You must be a historian smiley
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Bar1941(m): 10:02pm On Jun 16, 2023
OLE
NI
WALE
AJI
RULER
DADA

Gone are the days when boys change the letters in ONWARD to the above definition.

May his soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Cassandraloius: 10:20pm On Jun 16, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Wow. I remember using these Onward notebooks in elementary school.

Many of us did. We're gradually getting older day by day. May his soul find rest.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Demurray: 10:29pm On Jun 16, 2023
We gave ONWARD BIG Exercise book full meaning then thus...
O - Ole ( thief)
N - Ni
W -Wale (name)
A - Aji (stole)
R - Ruler
D - Dada (name )

B - Baba (father)
I - Iya (Mother)
G - Ganiyu (name)

E - Ede (pawn)
X - rimes (multiply)
E - Ede (pawn)
R - Risi (name)
C - Katu (completion on Risi)
I - Iyawo .(wife)
S - Segun. (Name)
E - Elere (sportsmanship)
B - Boolu (football)
O - Oda no (goodbye)
O - Oda no (goodbye)
K - Kayode. (name)

Happy Old days

Rest in the bosom of the Lord

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by XAUBulls: 10:32pm On Jun 16, 2023
Melezenawii:
Chief M.A. Obagun, the founder of Onward Paper Mill, has d*ed at the age of 91.

May his soul rest in peace .

He founded Onward Stationery in 1953. He started buying and selling paper just after leaving school.

First, he bought locally, then grew to begin getting wholesale imports.

In 1973, he launched Onward Paper Mill, makers of the legendary exercise books Onward Notebook.

He is a native of Epe, Lagos State

https://twitter.com/Yorubaness/status/1669325006080278529
My respects to a great millionaire Ijebu industrialist from Epe, Lagos State.

My respects to another billionaire business mogul from the Ijebu part of Ogun State, Otunba Subomi Balogun (the founder of the iconic FCMB and the first Merchant bank in Nigeria).

The end of a cycle.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Sheguama: 10:37pm On Jun 16, 2023
Yoighaman:

You must be a historian smiley

Lol. Not really Bra.
But I particularly took interest in his life-story from way back. I mean... this guy was meant to be in the world of his own. Can you beat it? A word Champ in 1954 at a very tender age of 19, a graduate at about 24, before Nigerian independence, and a Major in the N.A at 30.
He died at 32 with all these terrific achievements.
The Extraordinaire would have been 88yrs old today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by XAUBulls: 10:38pm On Jun 16, 2023
Melezenawii:
Most older generation has one thing or the other to do with Onward NoteBook. The man impact on generations was legendary
Indeed... Brings back memories from back in the day for me.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by jevic(m): 10:40pm On Jun 16, 2023
Rip
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Juniorangel(m): 11:08pm On Jun 16, 2023
This 20leaves exercise book is legendary, if you used this book and you are not married by now go settle your village people.
chigoziri2403:
I can't forget the image on this book
I always thought he was Solomon grundy
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by TemplarLandry: 11:11pm On Jun 16, 2023
😊😊😊
Cassandraloius:

Many of us did. We're gradually getting older day by day. May his soul find rest.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by nihinlade(m): 11:45pm On Jun 16, 2023
If you don't know onward paper you are a teenager or in you early 20s.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by EyenIbibio1: 11:52pm On Jun 16, 2023
Desire18:

If you attended school in Nigeria around the 80s and 90s, i am sure you used one of his exercise books with the following acronyms.

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

B - Baba
I - Iya
G - Gani

E - Ede
X - Xtimes
E - Ede
R - Remi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere

B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

May the gentle soul of the Industrialist rest in peace.

Chop knuckle, you be ol'G

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by poppingtags: 12:01am On Jun 17, 2023
RIP baba.

Your book were original and affordable
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Bankowner: 12:09am On Jun 17, 2023
There was Olympics exercise books then as well.
OlujobaSamuel:
Rest on sir.
Onward, then partial Malad.
Learnt this current generation is using Vista or something
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Balogunodua(m): 12:52am On Jun 17, 2023
Melezenawii:
Chief M.A. Obagun, the founder of Onward Paper Mill, has d*ed at the age of 91.

May his soul rest in peace .

He founded Onward Stationery in 1953. He started buying and selling paper just after leaving school.

First, he bought locally, then grew to begin getting wholesale imports.

In 1973, he launched Onward Paper Mill, makers of the legendary exercise books Onward Notebook.

He is a native of Epe, Lagos State

https://twitter.com/Yorubaness/status/1669325006080278529

RIP Legend....

Onward notebook...our first choice.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by piyoo91: 3:01am On Jun 17, 2023
OlawaleBammie:
U mean u re a hausa xtian??

Oohh, only God knows how tribulated ur father and mother would be then?? I pity them embarassed
lol... We are all fine, what can seperate us from the love of christ? For we to live is christ and to die is gain

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Ykc2(m): 3:34am On Jun 17, 2023
Onward,star paper mill aba,apex note book
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Foodqueen(f): 5:32am On Jun 17, 2023
An industrialist.

Hope he had money, I mean plenty of it.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Auxtin85(m): 6:14am On Jun 17, 2023
Jeffyblaq:

Yeah.. He won the gold medal commonwealth game in 1954.

He's also the brain behind the first military coup of 1966. along side major chukuma kaduna nzeogwu and a few others.

A university graduate of university of ibadan who later joined the Army.

Was later killed alongside Victor Banjo and Co by late ojukwu after sensing he was probably wanted to plan a mutiny against the then biafra during the war.

History is just an interesting subject for real.

It is indeed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by OlujobaSamuel: 6:21am On Jun 17, 2023
Bankowner:
There was Olympics exercise books then as well.
That's true oo. How time flies
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Mayflowa(m): 6:27am On Jun 17, 2023
Racoon:
Oops! Good goosh! I really love and used that book throughout my primary school that I can't just even jot on any other paper. Rest in peace sir.

Then during exam, we use the long note. I think it was called fullscar . So long !
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Ameoba300: 6:35am On Jun 17, 2023
chigoziri2403:

Seems you've seen Solomon Grundy before angry Abi na your papa brother cool
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Putinofrussia: 6:59am On Jun 17, 2023
bikefab:
If you used this book, you should have grandchildren by now...
Onward books still exist.

https://www.businessamlive.com/tetra-pak-onward-paper-mill-sign-recycling-solution-deal/

February 15, 2021 979 views

By Onome Amuge

Tetra Pak West Africa, a leading food processing and packaging solutions company, has initiated a recycling partnership with Onward Paper Mill to develop sustainable recycling solutions for post-consumer beverage cartons in Nigeria.

Tetra Pak, Onward Paper Mill sign recycling solution dealAccording to the agreement, which is the first of its kind in the West African region,Tetra Pak aims to build its sustainability effort to drive recycling and proper management on Used Beverage Cartons (UBC), educate the public on waste management while supporting local regulations and responding to customer demands.

Speaking at the ceremony, ArunaOshiokamele, managing director, Tetra Pak West Africa, said the company is geared towards protecting the planet by contributing to the circular economy in recycling all packaging materials collected.

He added that the company has helped grow the number of facilities that recycle cartons from 40 in 2002 to 170 globally.

β€œAt Tetra Pak, sustainability has long been at the heart of our business strategy and our operations both globally and locally. Our approach to sustainability encompasses our entire value chain – including the environmental, social, and economic challenges we face.From our School Feeding Programmes to our circular economy commitments, to our Diversity and Inclusion initiatives, we constantly strive towards safeguarding our own employees and supporting communities where we operate and protecting the future of our planet and the long-term success of our customers,” the company said in a statement.

On his part, KunleObagun, executive chairman, Onward Paper Mill Ltd, expressed his pleasure over the signing of the partnership. He assured that the pact will focus on reducing the presence of UBC in landfill and other waste dumps by engaging in public awareness and supporting the targeted collection of UBC from the consuming public through various campaigns and initiatives in schools and communities.

Obagun noted that Onward was initially established in 1953 as a paper trading company before evolving into Onward Paper Mill Ltd., the first indigenous paper converter in 1972, producing exercise books and other quality paper products.

The company, he explained, continues to be at the forefront of paper conversion by investing in sustainable technology and innovation which has led to the partnership to recycle Used Beverage Cartons (UBC) for use as a base raw material in paper production.

Onward Paper Mill currently has an annual production capacity of 20,000 tonnes of paper, boards, and tissue products.

Tetra Pak is a Swedish-Swiss multilateral food processing and packaging company founded in 1943. Since inception, the company, which has more than 25,000 workers around the world, has worked closely with its customers and suppliers in ensuring the provision of safe, innovative, and environmentally sound products that meet the daily needs of millions of people in more than 160 countries.

https://www.businessamlive.com/tetra-pak-onward-paper-mill-sign-recycling-solution-deal/

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by chigoziri2403(m): 6:59am On Jun 17, 2023
Ameoba300:

Seems you've seen Solomon Grundy before angry Abi na your papa brother cool
Na your pikin from another father
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Adlac(m): 7:06am On Jun 17, 2023
Desire18:

If you attended school in Nigeria around the 80s and 90s, i am sure you used one of his exercise books with the following acronyms.

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

B - Baba
I - Iya
G - Gani

E - Ede
X - Xtimes
E - Ede
R - Remi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere

B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

May the gentle soul of the Industrialist rest in peace.

You are a legend.

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Ameoba300: 7:13am On Jun 17, 2023
chigoziri2403:

Na your pikin from another father

grin grin grin

Γ‰ no fit better for you and Solomon Grundy
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Arisenews2: 7:19am On Jun 17, 2023
chigoziri2403:

See the story behind this book here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDwb3_UJ_PE

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar / Is N50,000 Enough To Startup A Barbing Saloon? / How I Recycled Wasted Disposable Cups To Chandelier Lights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.