Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,833 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 (37454 Views)

Deji Akinyanju Is The Founder of Chicken Republic / Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / Man Slumps & Dies At Bank In Delta After Waiting Several Hours To Withdraw Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Desire18: 7:50pm On Jun 16, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

Bruh!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

That picture was an acknowledgement of Emmanuel Ifeajuna, the first man to win a medal for Nigeria at the Commonwealth Games.

He won a silver for the high jump.

He later went on to become the infamous Major Ifeajuna of the 1966 coup, who was executed by Odumegwu Ojukwu at the final days of the Civil War.

I doff my cap for Grandpa abi na grandma here😁😁😁
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:51pm On Jun 16, 2023
inoki247:
Onward, HB Pencil, Big Biro and Eleganza the only tools wey dey sell back den....

Bic was 10k (I mean TEN KOBO oooo! πŸ˜€) while there was this flimsy plastic spring-loaded pen we called "teke-teke" that was 5 Kobo.

4 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:51pm On Jun 16, 2023
Desire18:

I doff my cap for Grandpa abi na grandma here😁😁😁

I still be youth compared to Baba Baalabluu.

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Oladnote: 7:51pm On Jun 16, 2023
Desire18:

If you attended school in Nigeria around the 80s and 90s, i am sure you used one of his exercise books with the following acronyms.

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

B - Baba
I - Iya
G - Gani

E - Ede
X - Xtimes
E - Ede
R - Remi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere

B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

May the gentle soul of the Industrialist rest in peace.
RIP Chief.
Great childhood memories with this acronyms.

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by IrepChrist: 7:51pm On Jun 16, 2023
This is one of the persons that deserves a national honour. His entrepreneurship is legendary.

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Exponental(m): 7:52pm On Jun 16, 2023
If you didn't use this man's book, learn to caution your words, many people here are not your mate.

8 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by simply22: 7:53pm On Jun 16, 2023
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by QuantAnalyst: 7:53pm On Jun 16, 2023
VIKTO83:
The business strategy these kind of people employed that made ordinary exercise book go round d country must be top notch.
This book was used by virtually everyone that went to school as at d time

First mover advantage contributed largely to their success. We were just getting out of slate to paper and pen/pencil in the late 90s.

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Jeffyblaq(m): 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2023
Auxtin85:

I and everyone in my class concluded he is a man burning in hell. It’s about 5 years ago I got to know that’s Emmanuel Ifeajuna the first Nigeria Olympic Medalist in high jump
Yeah.. He won the gold medal commonwealth game in 1954.

He's also the brain behind the first military coup of 1966. along side major chukuma kaduna nzeogwu and a few others.

A university graduate of university of ibadan who later joined the Army.

Was later killed alongside Victor Banjo and Co by late ojukwu after sensing he was probably wanted to plan a mutiny against the then biafra during the war.

History is just an interesting subject for real.

5 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by piyoo91: 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2023
Benediction777:

You're Valid man!!! New generation children no know this..

in my school then in far north gusau then sokoto is Ede Ximes Ede Rita Call Iyabo Sisi Eko Baje Odabo Odabo Kaka. Babangida was the head of state then, sweet old days

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by LyfeJennings(m): 7:56pm On Jun 16, 2023
Unfortunately he gave birth to very useless children
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Mitsurugi(m): 7:56pm On Jun 16, 2023
Desire18:

If you attended school in Nigeria around the 80s and 90s, i am sure you used one of his exercise books with the following acronyms.

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

B - Baba
I - Iya
G - Gani

E - Ede
X - Xtimes
E - Ede
R - Remi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere

B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

Some of us did not attend Tolu Complex schools grin

RIP to baba

4 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2023
I used those onward books back in the 90's, may his soul rest in peace.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Tenumootito: 8:02pm On Jun 16, 2023
This is one of the task I expect govt to take up. Onward paper, okin biscuits, ST soaps, Eleganza and others should be revive.
We need all these companies to come back alive with touch of 21st century technology

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Tremple8v: 8:05pm On Jun 16, 2023
RIP Legend
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by izubext007: 8:06pm On Jun 16, 2023
R.I.P sir , remember having 2/10 on your note book .
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by aylipple: 8:07pm On Jun 16, 2023
May his gentle soul RIP. Remember using the "Onward" notebooks during my undergrad days.
Melezenawii:
Chief M.A. Obagun, the founder of Onward Paper Mill, has d*ed at the age of 91.

May his soul rest in peace .

He founded Onward Stationery in 1953. He started buying and selling paper just after leaving school.

First, he bought locally, then grew to begin getting wholesale imports.

In 1973, he launched Onward Paper Mill, makers of the legendary exercise books Onward Notebook.

He is a native of Epe, Lagos State

https://twitter.com/Yorubaness/status/1669325006080278529
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Solababa91(m): 8:09pm On Jun 16, 2023
My classmates including my teachers usually envy this onward notebook as I use to be the only pupil who use it in my class all through. The hard cover no be here, the front and back cover will usually last the term without getting torn. Dad usually get them in bulk from Lagos whenever he travels. How time flies. RIP Chief.

4 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by HitlerGaddafi: 8:09pm On Jun 16, 2023
Desire18:

O - Ole
N - Ni
W - Wale
A - Aji
R - Ruler
D - Dada

B - Baba
I - Iya
G - Gani

E - Ede
X - Xtimes
E - Ede
R - Remi
C - Coni
I - Iya
S - Segun
E - Elere

B - Boolu
O - Odabo
O - Odabo
K - Kayode

grin

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Desire18: 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2023
Oladnote:

RIP Chief.
Great childhood memories with this acronyms.

Yes ooo.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by masseratti: 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

Bic was 10k (I mean TEN KOBO oooo! πŸ˜€) while there was this flimsy plastic spring-loaded pen we called "teke-teke" that was 5 Kobo.
that latter one was frustrating when writing... It can have gaps for africa

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by wifeesnatcher(m): 8:10pm On Jun 16, 2023
Rest on Baba
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Desire18: 8:12pm On Jun 16, 2023
[quote author=piyoo91 post=123842553] in my school then in far north gusau then sokoto is Ede Ximes Ede Rita Call Iyabo Sisi Eko Baje Odabo Odabo Kaka. Babangida was the head of state then, sweet old days [/quot

The good old days.

2 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by masseratti: 8:12pm On Jun 16, 2023
Tenumootito:
This is one of the task I expect govt to take up. Onward paper, okin biscuits, ST soaps, Eleganza and others should be revive.
We need all these companies to come back alive with touch of 21st century technology
government has no business doing business any other person that has the money can buy them over if they are functional anymore.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by onuman: 8:12pm On Jun 16, 2023
Wow. Onward paper mill was a name easily recognised those school days.

RIP. You contributed to change the world for the better.
But political maggots in Nigeria who steal the country's money for their generations unborn set back the hands of the clock in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by aylipple: 8:12pm On Jun 16, 2023
I experienced something similar last month when I wanted to buy a note book; asked for 40leaves but when the seller brought it, I'd to ask again if it's actually what I asked for and she affirmed. I was quite shocked.
The quality of notebooks says 10-20 years ago are of a far better quality than what's on offer these days.
INTEGRITYA1:
Rest on old man, your legacy live on.

Onward Books, back then when we have price friendly couple with quality and quantity respectively.

I went to buy big notes not quite long for School Children, when the seller gave me 60 leaves at the rate of N2,700 per pack (Dozen)

A piece of the 60 leaves look exactly like 20 leaves of those days.

I asked the seller again if what he gave me was 60 leaves and he responded in affirmative manner. At that point I was shaking my head.

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by onuman: 8:13pm On Jun 16, 2023
Melezenawii:
Most older generation has one thing or the other to do with Onward NoteBook. The man impact on generations was legendary

Wow. I did not read your comment before mine.
This Onward man was really ONWARD in thought and character.
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by adefitim(m): 8:16pm On Jun 16, 2023
OP come here!
Why did you asterisk the a in DEAD?

1 Like

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Desusi: 8:16pm On Jun 16, 2023
Kai? Shame on death.Man would always be remembered by what he has done while on this side of eternity. Iam seeing his picture for the first time. Till,l finished my secondary school, onward notebook had been my favorite. What a humble man,he was while here.The new generation will display his picture on one side of the big note. My prayer is that your children will keep up the ball rolling.Adieux blessed man!

4 Likes

Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by otokx(m): 8:17pm On Jun 16, 2023
Indeed he is a legend, is the business still functional?
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by AfonjaConehead: 8:18pm On Jun 16, 2023
I do hope he has national honors..

May he RIP
Re: Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 by Judolisco(m): 8:21pm On Jun 16, 2023
bikefab:
If you used this book, you should have grandchildren by now...
why na... If u sch around 2000 - 2008 u should know dis book

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is N50,000 Enough To Startup A Barbing Saloon? / Banks Issue, Reject Deposits Of Old Notes By Customers / Woman Goes Under A Trailer In Calabar, Begs To Be Crushed. Her Goods Were Seized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.