Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:49 PM

Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 (41827 Views)

What You Must Know About The New Electricity Tariff Hike / Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 19, 2023
marlow1962:

Poor man, you will continue to manage your poor self.
People wer no wn progress.

Try and give yourself a brain. Dude is giving legit advice!

Who born all these mumu pickin for Nigeria!
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by marcolceno(m): 4:09pm On Jun 19, 2023
Flets:
Before we all get carried away with the media propaganda, here are the summary of Tinubu's government to date:

1. Fuel subsidy is removed and you will buy fuel for 500 to 900naira per liter (depending on the exchange rate). The savings will be looted like that of kerosene and diesel. There will be no commensurate succor/ palliative for your suffering. Instead of going after the subsidy thieves and stopping the smuggling across boarders, they have transferred the responsibility to the helpless Nigerian people.

2. Naira has been devalued (though they call it floating). The FG has handed over the exchange to the market forces where speculators and banks are king. Naira continues to fall in the I/E and parallel market. Anybody who tells you Naira will appreciate is a joker, for a corrupt country like ours, the banks and speculators are the new cabal and will drive the rates how they deem fit. Don’t believe…. Just observe. What most don’t get now is that CBN now has no obligation to provide FX at a particular rate to the market, as such the new FG players can access FX from CBN without noise.

3. FG funding for tertiary education has been removed. Students will pay upwards of 400K tuition fee starting next session. A lot of students will drop out and cannot complete their education anymore. The so-called student loan will be almost impossible for an average student without connection to access. Guess what happens to the savings from this funding…. To be looted by the same people who have impoverished the nation.

4. Electricity tariff have been increased (without increased production) and will take effect from July 1st. This is a death knell to small and medium scale businesses. You are now stuck between the devil (PMS at 550naira per liter) and the blue sea (extra expensive electricity tariff).

5. All the FG has done so far is abandon almost all responsibilities it has over the people through the bills being signed since May 29. All Tinubu has done is to make available funds to be shared by him and his goons at the expense of the people. Not a single bill or action aimed at ameliorating the suffering of the already downcast Nigerian people rather adding to the pain in the guise of elitist policies

6. Guess what…. None of these policies have any impact on the political class and they have not made a single sacrifice. Same old political criminals are back in power, Gbaja, Akume, Asari Dokubo etc and you expect any real change apart from increased suffering?. How do you expect Tinubu to pay back the these same criminals who supported him into power?

Nigerians…. Suffer no dey tire una?
Omo you just spoke my mind. Thank you for the precise, accurate and excellent speech... 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

4 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by jmoore(m): 4:09pm On Jun 19, 2023
Ezmans:
please how does it works?
Those who use prepaid meters buy power in advance. So if they buy power that can last long, they won't be affected when the new tariff comes in until they exhaust their old power units.

1 Like

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Lekan239(m): 4:13pm On Jun 19, 2023
Flets:
Before we all get carried away with the media propaganda, here are the summary of Tinubu's government to date:

1. Fuel subsidy is removed and you will buy fuel for 500 to 900naira per liter (depending on the exchange rate). The savings will be looted like that of kerosene and diesel. There will be no commensurate succor/ palliative for your suffering. Instead of going after the subsidy thieves and stopping the smuggling across boarders, they have transferred the responsibility to the helpless Nigerian people.

2. Naira has been devalued (though they call it floating). The FG has handed over the exchange to the market forces where speculators and banks are king. Naira continues to fall in the I/E and parallel market. Anybody who tells you Naira will appreciate is a joker, for a corrupt country like ours, the banks and speculators are the new cabal and will drive the rates how they deem fit. Don’t believe…. Just observe. What most don’t get now is that CBN now has no obligation to provide FX at a particular rate to the market, as such the new FG players can access FX from CBN without noise.

3. FG funding for tertiary education has been removed. Students will pay upwards of 400K tuition fee starting next session. A lot of students will drop out and cannot complete their education anymore. The so-called student loan will be almost impossible for an average student without connection to access. Guess what happens to the savings from this funding…. To be looted by the same people who have impoverished the nation.

4. Electricity tariff have been increased (without increased production) and will take effect from July 1st. This is a death knell to small and medium scale businesses. You are now stuck between the devil (PMS at 550naira per liter) and the blue sea (extra expensive electricity tariff).

5. All the FG has done so far is abandon almost all responsibilities it has over the people through the bills being signed since May 29. All Tinubu has done is to make available funds to be shared by him and his goons at the expense of the people. Not a single bill or action aimed at ameliorating the suffering of the already downcast Nigerian people rather adding to the pain in the guise of elitist policies

6. Guess what…. None of these policies have any impact on the political class and they have not made a single sacrifice. Same old political criminals are back in power, Gbaja, Akume, Asari Dokubo etc and you expect any real change apart from increased suffering?. How do you expect Tinubu to pay back the these same criminals who supported him into power?

thought u guys say so long as there's light, we will pay any amount for it. So why the propaganda now.
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by orikoku: 4:14pm On Jun 19, 2023
jmoore:

Are you using prepaid user?
If yes, how were you able to recharge the first time?
you mean, I should just buy like 10k and keep it or load it at once. I will hustle to see it I can buy it. I get you now bro. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by phemmyfour: 4:14pm On Jun 19, 2023
Flets:

Well said
Suffering pro max

3 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by kindredspirit(m): 4:17pm On Jun 19, 2023
Calabar1stSon:
I bought 48.41kwh units for #5000 which is #103.2/units this month.

In Ibadan, under the same IBEDC, #1000 worth of tokens would give you 13 Units.

Thus, that your #5000 would give an Ibadan resident #65 units.

So, it's obvious that the IBEDC bills their coverage areas/states differently.
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by jmoore(m): 4:18pm On Jun 19, 2023
orikoku:
you mean, I should just buy like 10k and keep it or load it at once. I will hustle to see it I can buy it. I get you now bro. Thanks
You load it at once. Just be vigilant if there are people that stay you with so they don't waste electricity.

2 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:18pm On Jun 19, 2023
jmoore:

You need to manage your consumption. If you are still using electric bulbs of 60 watts and 100 watts, remove them and buy energy saving bulb of 3 watts, 6 watts.

Don't use hotplates.
Arrange your clothes well so you can reduce the time spent using pressing iron.

Your fridge should not be on always. If you have enough cash, you can buy energy saving fridge and sell the old one.

This one off me grin grin
So Tinubu's brilliant plan is to take Nigeria back to the days when they put their clothes under the pillow grin grin
This one don pass renew hope. This is olden hope cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by TheEndless: 4:22pm On Jun 19, 2023
November1857:
Households under pressure as new electricity tariff due July 1

New electricity tariff takes effect from July 1, 2023

• Tinubu, NERC at crossroads as naira floating, inflation disrupt MYTO
• Energy cost may push households, SMEs’ spending to 70% amid unavailable electricity
• Stakeholders raise concerns over impacts on economy, poverty

https://guardian.ng/news/households-under-pressure-as-new-electricity-tariff-due-july-1/
Lol… I have been living off grid for close to 2 years now on solar!
How many yoruba mozulem 🐖s can say the same?!
Una go hear am, make I catch una online beggars for social media first 🙄

4 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by jmoore(m): 4:25pm On Jun 19, 2023
kindredspirit:

In Ibadan, under the same IBEDC, #1000 worth of tokens would give you 13 Units.

Thus, that your #5000 would give an Ibadan resident #65 units.

So, it's obvious that the IBEDC bills their coverage areas/states differently.
It is not about IBEDC. It applies to all DISCOS.
Tariff is according to BAND. The highest BAND are those who get more than 20 hours of electricity per day, they have high tariff while those under the BAND that gets 8 hours of electricity per day get lower tariff.

2 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by SharpD: 4:26pm On Jun 19, 2023
PUSSYHOE:
Good move it will reduce our population, many go die of poverty grin

For those that collect 30k per month and come online to rant and support bad government, let me see how far the 30k will take them and how the will be shielded from the impending hardship. Which government that has the interest of the people will remove subsidy without putting in place any palliative measures and at the same time raise electricity tariff.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by marcolceno(m): 4:27pm On Jun 19, 2023
Procashtips:

When was ₦1000 64 units?
Any receipt to back this up?

I have always bought 28 units for ₦1000 until of recent that it became 23 units for the same ₦1000.

Where una dey buy 16 units for ₦1k?
It depends on on the band your area is. Band A B C D. A is the most expensive while D is less. While some areas automatically move to another Band without customer notice.

1 Like

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by aAK1(m): 4:27pm On Jun 19, 2023
Simple. Get like a 15kw battery. Bypass at night while charging the battery and run your batteries in the day time. They should get ready for electricity theft

1 Like

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by wman(m): 4:33pm On Jun 19, 2023
gabbytabby:
Control that which you can control. You really are not helpless.

Only use low energy 5watt or not more than 10 watt bulbs.

When you buy fridges and /or freezer check for low energy usage or those with inverter. Same for AC. Be intentional about everything you do and you will see that things are manageable.

There is a lot of wastage in the use of electricity.

Most places in Nigeria use estimated billing without meters. So, they pay heavily for electricity no matter how much they try to control their usage. NEPA will increase their bills mercilessly. Meters aren't as widespread in other states as they are in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by KINGKONG(m): 4:39pm On Jun 19, 2023
gabbytabby:

When you buy fridges and /or freezer check for low energy usage or those with inverter. Same for AC. Be intentional about everything you do and you will see that things are manageable.

How do you control things that's not available? You will be sitting in your house typing nonsense... Which wastage are you even talking about? Electrical energy? You must be nuts

2 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by zeyt: 4:39pm On Jun 19, 2023
With NEPA the government bored 70 percent of cost power generation, transmission and distribution while the general public bored the 30 percent. Now the government has shed the responsibility of power supply in the name of privatisation. And it's proven majority of Nigerians could not settle their bills due very high poverty level and relatively high cost of electricity.
The reality now is the DISCOS has resorted to supplying the bear minimum of electricity that the masses can afford in order to cut losses. I believe this is how things will continue.
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Softhands(m): 4:42pm On Jun 19, 2023
Love800:
Does this solar power all the appliances in a home?
Yes sir... I currently use mine to power everythinin my house including my freezer (8am to 4pm daily).
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Softhands(m): 4:44pm On Jun 19, 2023
PerfectStranger:

You saw the future my man. cool
not really, na because we no too dey get light like that.
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by gabbytabby: 4:44pm On Jun 19, 2023
I did not know that the meter is not available. In lagos i just paid 15k and then 119k for a 3 phase which i expect to be installed by the end of june.

wman:

Most places in Nigeria use estimated billing without meters. So, they pay heavily for electricity no matter how much they try to control their usage. NEPA will increase their bills mercilessly. Meters aren't as widespread in other states as they are in Lagos.
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Softhands(m): 4:45pm On Jun 19, 2023
eagleonearth:
how much
was not upto 1m when I did it but when way things are expensive now, It will be well over.

2 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Agbegbaorogboye: 4:49pm On Jun 19, 2023
anonymous1759:

I agree with you on that one OBJ caused it because of is 3rd term ambition right now does dudes can’t agree for a pay cut even the president can’t reduce their salaries or he’ll face impeachment. What about the governors too those ones are worst .
It’s not like I like what’s happening but removing subsidies on some things like electricity and education will automatically fixes the rot in the system . One step at a time we can’t achieve everything all at once . Nigerians will start to wake up when we start paying for things even the government will be scared of the people just like in developed countries they always make reference to their heavy taxes when their government is misbehaving and every parastatals are working because you know people are paying for it no time for lapses .
You're just saying rubbish from end to end.
How did OBJ cause increase in cost of govt. If your Tinubu can't right the supposed wrong of OBJ, what exactly is he doing on that seat.
You're saying one step at a time, yet in less than a month if being in office, your lord has increased the price of everything. How does that fit into your one step at a time philosophy?
When did Nigerians stop paying for things? The Nigerians that have been paying ransom to kidnappers are from Mars abi those who pay for their own security and basic necessities are from Pluto?
Whatever they are giving you halfwits in your groups must be strong to make you this daft

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Procashtips(m): 4:50pm On Jun 19, 2023
marcolceno:

It depends on on the band your area is. Band A B C D. A is the most expensive while D is less. While some areas automatically move to another Band without customer notice.

Wahala
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Mrfixiit: 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2023
inoki247:

Lol joker u think say na everybody dey suffer like you..

Or you think wen ur Lord also enter if he dish out same thing u will be exempted....

I already av alternative source of light for over 3 to 4yrs now no be everybody dey go through wetin u dey go through...

I don't need to wait for any Govt like you ..
Lol.. look at this butterfly taking itself to be a bird. I ain't in same category with you. You're still struggling for daily bread, and still claiming to be comfortable. I know your type very well. What I spend in a week for my family you can hardly earn it in 2 months.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by gabbytabby: 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2023
a4cube:
No battery?

The 4 batteries and inverter is 690k
Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by kenmaro: 4:53pm On Jun 19, 2023
Exactly what I have been saying 👍.
Government subsidy is normal for key services that drive the economy. Even America has housing mortgage subsidy, the UK and most EU have some kind of subsidy for families with kids, etc.

Naija own dey tire person plus we Nigerians we quickly accept new policies not minding the effects on others once we are comfortable with it.. That I am financially capable of a service doesn't mean I shouldn't look at its effects on other less privileged. The most annoying part is that this same economic theory we are applying is same that was introduced to us by the whites but we apply them in criminal and selfish ways.

Nbote:
Just imagine how selfish these ediots are. You come in and the first thing is to remove all subsidies enjoyed by the masses. They claim they are removing subsidy on petrol because it was being smuggled to neighboring countries. What is the excuse for the removal of subsidy on electricity and education. Next they will target is Healthcare

You people will just sit in your houses and try to sell the useless propaganda the govt sells you. Countries subsidize education, Healthcare, agriculture and energy because these are the sectors that drives the economy.Try to use Google which is free

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Hamxas: 4:55pm On Jun 19, 2023
gabbytabby:

With all this u are saying how much has d government increased in wages

1 Like

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Nmezor(f): 4:58pm On Jun 19, 2023
Pure wickedness, may God help us o

2 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by TalkingBird: 5:00pm On Jun 19, 2023
It is building up.

This wicked world and its elements will eventually come to an end.

The challenge will be resolved forever

1 Like

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by Love800(m): 5:06pm On Jun 19, 2023
U pump water too?

And do u use inverter
Softhands:
Yes sir... I currently use mine to power everythinin my house including my freezer (8am to 4pm daily).

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by VintescoGlobal(m): 5:06pm On Jun 19, 2023
November1857:
Households under pressure as new electricity tariff due July 1

New electricity tariff takes effect from July 1, 2023

• Tinubu, NERC at crossroads as naira floating, inflation disrupt MYTO
• Energy cost may push households, SMEs’ spending to 70% amid unavailable electricity
• Stakeholders raise concerns over impacts on economy, poverty

https://guardian.ng/news/households-under-pressure-as-new-electricity-tariff-due-july-1/

Don't forget to go to Nepa office to buy your light plan with a corn..

Raise your corn up so that you buy it cheap.

3 Likes

Re: Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 by VintescoGlobal(m): 5:06pm On Jun 19, 2023
Don't forget to go to Nepa office to buy your light plan with a corn..

Raise your corn up so that you buy it cheap.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Igbo Has Best Appointment Under Buhari – Keyamo / Uwazuruike Apologises To The North; Says Protests Politically Motivated / Senate Majority Leader, Yahaya Abdullahi Dumps APC, Joins PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.