Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,900 members, 7,810,458 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired (33455 Views)

Wike: Military Generals Threatened Me With CIA / 20 Generals May Go As Buhari Replaces Buratai, Service Chiefs / President Buhari Replaces Buratai, Others. Appoints New Service Chiefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by ijustdey: 9:12am On Jun 21, 2023
•Retirement gale to hit Army, Air Force, Navy, Course 37, others may be affected

•Shettima decorates acting IG Egbetokun as Baba backs successor to succeed

About 100 top officers, including generals, brigadiers-general, air vice marshals, and admirals in the Nigerian Army, Air Force, and Nigerian Navy may proceed on compulsory retirement following the appointment of new service chiefs on Monday by President Bola Tinubu, The PUNCH reports.

Aside from the imminent gale of retirement, many officers would be promoted to their next rank to fill the vacancies that would be created by the retiring generals as part of the reorganisation of the services by the new service chiefs.

This is happening six months after 24 major generals and 38 brigadier generals retired last December after serving the nation for 35 years.

Tinubu announced the immediate retirement of General Lucky Irabor who was the Chief of Defence Staff; the Chief of Army Staff, Lieut Gen Farouk Yahaya; the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Awwal Gambo, and Air Marshal Oludayo Amao, the Chief of Air Staff and replaced them with new military chiefs.

The new service chiefs are Maj Gen Christopher Musa who is the Chief of Defence Staff; the Chief of Army Staff, Maj Gen Taoreed Lagbaja; the Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Emmanuel Ogalla while Air Vice Marshal Hassan Abubakar was appointed the Chief of Air Staff.

DIG Kayode Egbetokun was appointed as the acting Inspector-General of Police and Maj. Gen. E Undiandeye, Chief of Defence Intelligence.

Also, a former Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Chairman, Nuhu Ribadu, who was appointed last week as the Security Adviser to the President, was elevated to the National Security Adviser.

In line with precedence, Maj Gen Musa will adorn a full four-star General rank while Lagbaja will be decorated with the three-star rank of Lieutenant General and Ogalla with the same rank equivalent of Vice Admiral and Abubakar with the Air Marshal rank.

But the decoration with the new ranks by the President would come after Senate confirmation.

The PUNCH learnt that the planned retirement of the senior officers across the three services was in line with the long-standing military tradition that officers who were senior to the service chiefs would be retired.

It is a tradition in the military that when a junior is appointed as a service chief, senior officers, who are ahead of him or her, would proceed on retirement.

The understanding is that senior military officers are unlikely to take orders from their juniors.

While the new CDS is a member of 38 Regular Course, the COAS, the CNS, and the CAS are members of 39 Regular Course.

Multiple sources said it meant that the security chiefs were junior to some generals who are members of Course 37 and Course 38.

An impeccable source explained that about 100 top officers spread across the Army, Air Force and Navy could leave the service in the coming weeks because, in the military, it is improper for a senior officer to serve under his juniors.

Speaking to one of our correspondents in Abuja on Tuesday, a retired general explained that many top brass, particularly, members of Course 37 and Course 38 would likely leave the service.

Though the former military officer was not sure of the number of senior officers that may retire in the army, air force and navy, he explained that the figure could be as high as 100.

He stated, ‘’Top officers that would leave the service may be up to 100 because it cuts across the three services. The retirement exercise would not affect RC 39 officers; they would simply go to the Defence Headquarters because the Chief of Defence Staff is RC 38.

Certainly, RC 37 and 38 officers will leave the service. Though, some of them may be retained because the last time, COAS Yahaya, who was a member of RC 37 retained some of his mates. So, he is leaving with his coursemates now.’’

Asked about the number of officers that make up a regular course, the source said there was no fixed number, adding “Along the line, some of them would have been weeded out through retirement, deaths, accidents, sickness and other factors. So, the course members that get to the top level are usually about 20 or 30 per cent of the officers that enrolled together.’’

Senior military officers

Corroborating the retired general, a serving military officer noted, ‘’All officers who are senior to the new service chiefs are supposed to go home; mostly senior officers who are members of Course 37, 38 and some of 39.

“I said some Course 39 members because they are coursemates of the new service chiefs. Some service chiefs may choose to work with some of their course mates and others may decide not to work with them, but 37 and 38 will certainly go.

“Course 39 officers are to go too but some may be allowed to head the tri-services like the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Nigeria Defence College, and Nigerian Armed Forces Resettlement Centre “

Another source said the coursemates of the former CDS cannot be retained because they are seniors to the three service chiefs.

He stated, “Yes, the CDS is a member of Course 38, but by military tradition, he is not expected to make any appointment from among his coursemates because the COAS, CNS, and CAS are members of Course 39.

‘’If he does, they would be senior to them. Even those in Course 39 will go. Those that would escape being retired are those who are on senior courses at foreign missions. Looking across the three services, that number may be more than 100.”

It was further learnt that all officers under Nigerian Defence Academy Regular Course 39 who could not be accommodated at Defence Headquarters are to proceed on voluntary retirement.

Former CDS General Irabor is a member of the NDA Regular Course 34. He was commissioned Second Lieutenant on June 28 1986 into the Signals Corps of the Nigerian Army.

The former COAS, Lt Gen Yahaya is a member of the 37 Regular Course of the NDA. He commenced officer cadet training on September 27, 1985 and was commissioned into the Nigerian Army Corp of Infantry as a Second Lieutenant on December 27, 1990.

Vice Admiral Gambo, the ex-CNS, is a member of 36 Regular Course of the Nigerian Defence Academy, and Air Marshal Amao, the 21st CAS, joined the Armed Forces of Nigeria as a Cadet of the Nigerian Defence Academy Regular Course 35 in January 1984.

On the other hand, the new CDS Maj Gen Musa is a member of the 38th Regular Course of NDA and he was commissioned into the Infantry Corps on September 21, 1991.

The 23rd COAS, Maj Gen Lagbaja is a member of NDA RC 39 and was commissioned on September 19, 1992 while Vice Admiral Ogalla, the new CNS is a member of NDA 39 Regular Course.

The new CAS, Air Vice Marshal Abubakar enlisted into the Nigerian Air Force as a member of NDA RC 39 and was commissioned as a pilot on September 19, 1992.

The PUNCH gathered that those who may retire alongside the former service chiefs include the Commandant of the Nigerian Defence Academy, Maj Gen Ibrahim Yusuf and the Commandant of the National Defence College, Rear Admiral Murtala Bashir.

Others are the Chief Of Policy and Plans, HQ NAF, AVM IG Lubo; the Commandant, Armed Forces Command and Staff College Jaji, Air Vice Marshal Oluwarotimi Tuwase.

The Director of Defence Information, Brig Gen Tukur Gusau could not be reached for comments as of the time of filing this report. He did not respond to calls and he had yet to reply to a text message as of press time.

Egbetokun decorated

Meanwhile, Vice President Kashim Shettima, on Tuesday, decorated Mr Kayode Egbetokun as the Acting Inspector-General of Police, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The VP performed the decoration alongside the wife of the new police helmsman, Mrs Elizabeth Egbetokun, barely 24 hours after a major shake-up in the country’s security leadership.

Speaking to journalists after the ceremony, Egbetokun expressed eagerness to resume duties on Wednesday, saying he felt like a tiger ready to chase away all the internal enemies of the country.

Asked how he felt about the weight of his new responsibility, Egbetokun said, “Now, I have just been decorated and I’m looking forward to taking over tomorrow morning by 11:00 am.

“I really can’t describe how I feel currently, but if I have to tell you anything, I will tell you that right now, I feel like a tiger inside of me, ready to chase away all the criminals in Nigeria.

“And some other times, I feel like a lion in me, ready to devour all the internal enemies of Nigeria. That’s how I feel right now.”

On his part, the former IG, Usman Baba, described his successor as an old, experienced hand who would build on what he is leaving behind.

“It’s a stage; you come, you work and you go. I’m happy I’m handing over to somebody I know that will carry the mantle of leadership from where I have stopped.

“We grew up on the job. I was his boss at a time, not even when I was IG. He worked under me twice; we’ve been working together and I know how he will go ahead to champion the course of the police from where I have stopped,” Baba said.

Egbetokun would hold the office in an acting capacity until confirmed by the 10th Senate as the 22nd substantive IGP.

The ceremony was witnessed by the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu; the Chairman of the Progressives Governors’ Forum, Hope Uzodinma; the President’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila; the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume and others.

In a related development, the immediate-past Speaker of Kaduna State House of Assembly, Yusuf Zailani has applauded the President over the appointment of retired AIG Nuhu Ribadu as the National Security Adviser and the service chiefs.

Zailani, who is also the Chairman of ‘The APC Speakers Forum’, in a statement on Tuesday by his Press Secretary, Ibrahim Danfulani, said he was specifically delighted with the appointment of the former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, noting that Ribadu’s professionalism, hard work and dedication to service, track record, earned him the job.

He also described the appointment of CDS Maj Gen Musa, who hails from Zangon Kataf Local Government of Kaduna State as deserving and a reward for sacrifice to the service of the nation.

https://punchng.com/new-service-chiefs-100-military-generals-may-be-retired/?amp

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Ireportlive: 9:13am On Jun 21, 2023
cool

Normal levels

DIG and AIG have all gone home too

You can't salute a junior officer who got enlisted after you, you simply retire...

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by DeeBaDan: 9:14am On Jun 21, 2023
We watch
Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by LagosFirstSon: 9:16am On Jun 21, 2023
If 100 retire, how many come remain

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Racoon(m): 9:17am On Jun 21, 2023
Useless generals only tested and trusted in corruption

91 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Seefinish: 9:21am On Jun 21, 2023
Very sad situation for those who are leaving the office prematurely

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by ganisucks(f): 9:26am On Jun 21, 2023
On his last day as President, in probably 3 or four months, Baba Lagos will be denying this story and crying, while begging the military not to sack him. But the funny thing will be that the military will not be the ones delivering his sack letter.

Just like how Abiola was crying on Live TV and begging the military not to sack him. He even denied the story of having a list of military officers he would sack if he was made president. Right now, the cabal is laughing their a$$ off. Bushmeat don enter trap.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Odin13: 9:29am On Jun 21, 2023
More like Nigeria military is going through a process ..
if another government succeed via court judgement…. .. another set of 100’s will gallantly retire

Nigeria will get there

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by OldBeer: 9:30am On Jun 21, 2023
ganisucks:
On his last day as President, in probably 3 or four months, Baba Lagos will be denying this story and crying, while begging the military not to sack him. But the funny thing will be that the military will not be the ones delivering his sack letter.

Just like how Abiola was crying on Live TV and begging the military not to sack him. He even denied the story of having a list of military officers he would sack if he was made president. Right now, the cabal is laughing their a$$ off. Bushmeat don enter trap.
Go and treat malaria before it devolves into something else.

128 Likes 8 Shares

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Zxcvbnmghtr: 9:33am On Jun 21, 2023
ganisucks:

grin grin grin grin you are funny.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Ireportlive: 9:34am On Jun 21, 2023
Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by abibox02: 9:34am On Jun 21, 2023
How many top officers we get wey 100 go retire, our government always put politics in every action/policy they do

5 Likes

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by kettykin: 10:08am On Jun 21, 2023
Generals without war medals. The only medals the have is the medals of shooting the unarmed.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by adekolaelect(m): 10:59am On Jun 21, 2023
ganisucks:

who is this and what is he trying to bring out of his trash?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by LivingSage: 11:20am On Jun 21, 2023
Myopic mind
ganisucks:

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by kmaster007: 11:27am On Jun 21, 2023
U sabi
Ireportlive:
cool

Normal levels

DIG and AIG have all gone home too

You can't salute a junior officer who got enlisted after you, you simply retire...

1 Like

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by SpatialKing(m): 11:29am On Jun 21, 2023
Tinubu supporters will soon call this an achievement

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by festacman(m): 11:29am On Jun 21, 2023
And 100 new military generals will be promoted. Na so!

5 Likes

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by b3llo(m): 12:28pm On Jun 21, 2023
Make them park dey go...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by slawomir: 1:43pm On Jun 21, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Isoright

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by 9jaRealist: 1:44pm On Jun 21, 2023
ijustdey:
•Retirement gale to hit Army, Air Force, Navy, Course 37, others may be affected

•Shettima decorates acting IG Egbetokun as Baba backs successor to succeed

https://punchng.com/new-service-chiefs-100-military-generals-may-be-retired/?amp

A WASTE of public funds and resources used to train and maintain these officers…

No need to retire any officers if the new chiefs are simply promoted to the top of each service rank…
For example, in the US, the Chairman of the Joints Chief is automatically promoted to outrank all other officers.
>

3 Likes

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by FalseProphet1(m): 1:46pm On Jun 21, 2023
I see Nigerians struggling to see the names of the retired generals, I see the list raising dust if more than 50% of the retirees come from one zone.

This I have seen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Jsucre(m): 1:46pm On Jun 21, 2023
LagosFirstSon:
If 100 retire, how many come remain
battalion
Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Akwamkpuruamu: 1:46pm On Jun 21, 2023
Na normal thing. It will make way for others to rise.

We rise by retiring others. At least promotion is sure for all officers every four years of new FG

5 Likes

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Jcomtrader: 1:47pm On Jun 21, 2023
I don't think we have generals
Unless bhk and bandits would have gone

1 Like

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by damble: 1:47pm On Jun 21, 2023
Which one is improper for a senior officers to serve under the junior CAS?

Adeosun senior Buratai but served years under him before retirement. Should we say he didn't respect himself?

4 Likes

Re: New Service Chiefs: 100 Military Generals May Be Retired by Unperturbedpota: 1:47pm On Jun 21, 2023
ganisucks:

Are you a university graduate?

Because you reason like an iliterate who can read and write.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Femi Hamzat, Their Wives During APC Rally Today / Nigeria Elections Generally Peaceful, Transparent – ECOWAS Observers / I Was One Of The Most Recruited Graduate Of My University - Bola Tinubu (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.