Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation (54574 Views)

FG Threatens To Open Border For Cement Importation / FG Okays Re-opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation / Atedo Peterside: 'Why Open Border For Dangote & Refuse Others?' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by sojiadebayo: 10:04am On Jun 22, 2023
How many agricultural farms do you have oga . When even America today allowed importation of foreign food you should have asked them to shot the boarder because a country of over 200 millions people should at least be producing car and planes, ships all the equipment we need or you those countries producing start it overnight

pedel:
You think importing food for consumption is good for our economy?
A country of over 200,000,000 people importing rice despite having land and manpower to grow our own food.
Spending forex to import what we can grow is one of the reasons our currency is devalued.

Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Flangelo12: 10:05am On Jun 22, 2023
Dotherightthing:

I have NEVER seen a rice farm in my life! angry

Nigeria is NOT good in rice-production!! angry

You live in the city and you want to see rice farms?
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by GoodGovernance: 10:05am On Jun 22, 2023
SIONKPO1:

Calm down
Every country has its specialization and in a perfectly competitive market let the local and imported businesses drag the market together.
Our Rice farmers here really messed up things,how can locally grown rice be #38k whereas the Foreign ones I believe will cost #20k.

Mr man,it is the other way round.

The N20k rice must be the local one.

It is only Ofada that is more expensive than the foreign rice,because if its very limited production.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by kay29000(m): 10:06am On Jun 22, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

People in developed countries mostly rely on used cars too. New cars are expensive everywhere in the world.

Aslong as the vehicles being imported via the borders are made to pay the Nigerian custom duties and taxes, nothing wrong with importing them from a neighbouring country.

Prices of cars will definitely fall as there will be more competition amongst sellers.

I never even knew the Semd boarder was closed to car importation... So where have all the tokunbo cars I have been seeing around been coming in through?
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by SIONKPO1(m): 10:09am On Jun 22, 2023
GoodGovernance:

Mr man,it is the other way round.

The N20k rice must be the local one.

It is only Ofada that is more expensive than the foreign rice,because if its very limited production.
Accept,let the price of the local one even crash downward to #20k
Our rice is too expensive
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by eldoradoxx: 10:09am On Jun 22, 2023
MT:

What was this you have written? Truly appalling. What currency do people use to buy rice from Thailand? How do they source for this currency? Have you considered the impact to our foreign reserve? What is the implication on the exchange rate? And do you think with the exchange rate that is floated by CBN, you will still get your usual 9k per bag of rice?

When you know answer to these questions, you would understand why Buhari banned importation of Rice from Thailand.
Government does not lose anything if it allows rice to come in. Importers should source their forex from the open market. We cannot be doing Almajiri economic, banning importation of cheap food and imposing heavy prices on our local and unavailable local one, it is simple logic. Not everything imported into Nigeria was financed using government allocated dollar. We need to liberalize rice market. Allow foreign rice compete with local ones the one that is cheaper and better wins the market.

1 Like

Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Olalekanbanky1(m): 10:09am On Jun 22, 2023
pedel:
A country of over 200,000,000 people importing rice despite having land and manpower to grow our own food.
Spending forex to import what we can grow is one of the reasons our currency is devalued.

Una don start.

Local rice was sold at less than 10k before the closure of borders

Ithe price started skyrocketing immediately after the closure of borders.
Now, The price of Local rice is competing with that of foreign rice which is too bad.
We Nigerians don’t love ourselves. That’s the problem.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Dotherightthing: 10:10am On Jun 22, 2023
GoodGovernance:

Another big lie!

Very reputable research and statistics organizations globally, have all agreed that Nigeria is now the largest producer of rice in Africa.

Importation of paddy rice is a very BIG lie.

Continue deluding yourself cheesy
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by yemre: 10:12am On Jun 22, 2023
[quote author=yemre post=123959256][/quote]

Pmb shut the borders to encourage local production but what happened? Prices of locally produced rice moved from #8k to #30k. To me, I would have loved PMB to encourage and assist the local farmers to produce quality rice in a mechanized setting without closing the borders. That way, there would be motivation to compete with the foreign rice in quality and price.
That is in the past now tho.
BAT should declare a state of emergency on agriculture, including production of rice, encourage imports and allow the demand for foreign rice force our people to improve on the quality of rice we produce here at a reasonable price to the public.

You will see that rice importations will die naturally. Because we can have our own quality rice at #10,000/bag and foreign rice is 15k/bag,
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by MT: 10:12am On Jun 22, 2023
eldoradoxx:

Government does not lose anything if it allows rice to come in. Importers should source their forex from the open market. We cannot be doing Almajiri economic, banning importation of cheap food and imposing heavy prices on our local and unavailable local one, it is simple logic. Not everything imported into Nigeria was financed using government allocated dollar.

Let me ask you a few questions, now that CBN has decided to float the currency, is there anything still called "govt allocated" dollar? Do you even understand what it means to "float" currency ?

In your own context, what is an "open market" ? Oh you are referring to Aboki rate. Have you heard of the unification of the exchange rate as announced by this current administration? Do you understand what it means?

You see the reason why I insist that quality of education and lack of understanding of basic economics are the issue here?
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by kay29000(m): 10:14am On Jun 22, 2023
FreedomArmy:
and then you closed it and wicked people increased the price of local tasteless rice that is full of sand. I believe in free market economy. Banning importation is not the way to encourage local production. Improving the quality of local production to be at par or above that of foreign products is the way forward

I don't understand why locally produced rice is more expensive than foreign rice, yet it is not as quality.

I need someone to educate me on why this is so.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by eldoradoxx: 10:14am On Jun 22, 2023
MT:

What was this you have written? Truly appalling. What currency do people use to buy rice from Thailand? How do they source for this currency? Have you considered the impact to our foreign reserve? What is the implication on the exchange rate? And do you think with the exchange rate that is floated by CBN, you will still get your usual 9k per bag of rice?

When you know answer to these questions, you would understand why Buhari banned importation of Rice from Thailand.
Banning importation of cheap foreign rice because u want to encourage local rice is like patronizing your neighbor who bakes and sells a loaf of poor quality bread at #2000 per table size loaf simply because you want to encourage his business when down the street, there is a far better quality table size loaf of bread going for the price of #300 per loaf. Nigerian government acts like people that are bewitched.

1 Like

Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by gare2510(m): 10:17am On Jun 22, 2023
Instead of opening seme border why not encourage the vehicle dealers to berth their ships in Calabar or Warri port, that way you don't pay the double duty (Cotonou and Nigeria) and reduce overall price of the car and smuggling associated with Seme border area
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by MT: 10:18am On Jun 22, 2023
eldoradoxx:

Banning importation of cheap foreign rice because u want to encourage local rice is like patronizing your neighbor who bakes and sells a loaf of poor quality bread at #2000 per table size loaf simply because you want to encourage his business when down the street, there is a far better quality table size loaf of bread going for the price of #300 per loaf. Nigerian government acts like people that are bewitched.

There wont be any cheap foreign rice for you again. Naira has been DEVALUED and the foreign exchange is being determined by the market forces. Don't you get it?

I am not an economist. I am a software architect but I chose to read outside of my domain to understand what is going on. Sit this discourse out, and educate yourself on DEVALUATION - which always makes importation more expensive. It is a tool used to encourage local production, and increase export.

Demand and Supply principle needs to be re-taught to our adults.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Fearyourcreator: 10:19am On Jun 22, 2023
pedel:

People matter just tire me
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by eldoradoxx: 10:21am On Jun 22, 2023
MT:

Let me ask you a few questions, now that CBN has decided to float the currency, is there anything still called "govt allocated" dollar? Do you even understand what it means to "float" currency ?

In your own context, what is an "open market" ? Oh you are referring to Aboki rate. Have you heard of the unification of the exchange rate as announced by this current administration? Do you understand what it means?

You see the reason why I insist that quality of education and lack of understanding of basic economics are the issue here?
I fully understand the issue. My argument is simple, initially government said they banned foreign rice to save the forex. I am saying, let the importers source their foreign from wherever and import. Let there be a competition between our local rice that goes for the price of gold in the market while it's not worth a bronze price. Allow competition, those who can afford foreign should buy, thereby reducing the quest for the monopolized local rice. A reduced demand of local rice over time adjust the price. Our local rice has no business going for 35k per bag while foreign rice imported into other African countries goes as low as half the price. It is because government created a monopoly that the prices are that high. Remove the monopoly and let the true price releflct.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Fearyourcreator: 10:21am On Jun 22, 2023
tollyboy5:

For the past eight years how many rice have you grown?
Even those that studied agric no get sense... Masses shoulf also take responsibility too
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by eldoradoxx: 10:24am On Jun 22, 2023
MT:

There wont be any cheap foreign rice for you again. Naira has been DEVALUED and the foreign exchange is being determined by the market forces. Don't you get it?

I am not an economist. I am a software architect but I chose to read outside of my domain to understand what is going on. Sit this discourse out, and educate yourself on DEVALUATION - which always makes importation more expensive. It is a tool used to encourage local production, and increase export.

Demand and Supply principle needs to be re-taught to our adults.
Even if it is not cheap, allow it in. The value we get for 35k per bag of local rice is a false value. It is not worth the amount. It is demand adjusted price. Once competition comes in, some local rice eaters will go for foreign rice regardless of the amount and the price of the local ones will come down.

1 Like

Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by MT: 10:25am On Jun 22, 2023
eldoradoxx:

I fully understand the issue. My argument is simple, initially government said they banned foreign rice to save the forex. I am saying, let the importers source their foreign from wherever and import. Let there be a competition between our local rice that goes for the price of gold in the market while it's not worth a bronze price. Allow competition, those who can afford foreign should buy, thereby reducing the quest for the monopolized local rice. A reduced demand of local rice over time adjust the price. Our local rice has no business going for 35k per bag while foreign rice imported into other African countries goes as low as half the price. It is because government created a monopoly that the prices are that high. Remove the monopoly and let the true price releflct.

I am sorry you DON'T understand the issue.

Market forces (demand and supply) determine the exchange rate now. Let me break it down for you. Once a lot of people want to go to Cotonou to buy rice, these people will change naira to CFA. Once a lot of people are changing naira to CFA, it means more naira is chasing CFA, CFA value will increase, our own naira will decrease in value. Value is stored in money.

Your quest for wanting to eat foreign rice has blinded you from seeing the ripple effect in Nigeria. Don't destroy our currency, our newly minted Mr. Emefiele. Grow your own economy instead of encouraging capital flight to Benin Republic in your insatiable quest for foreign rice. Lets change our thinking and behaviours as citizens.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Skyehigher1: 10:27am On Jun 22, 2023
Very good development I want to buy motor for my father but the higher price of motor those not let my money reach

1 Like

Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by MT: 10:33am On Jun 22, 2023
eldoradoxx:

Even if it is not cheap, allow it in. The value we get for 35k per bag of local rice is a false value. It is not worth the amount. It is demand adjusted price. Once competition comes in, some local rice eaters will go for foreign rice regardless of the amount and the price of the local ones will come down.

Allow it in and destroy the naira. All these arm chair economists tire me.

Why don't you make your own country's local rice be a foreign rice in another country, and earn USD through it?

1 Like

Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Fearyourcreator: 10:36am On Jun 22, 2023
FreedomArmy:
and then you closed it and wicked people increased the price of local tasteless rice that is full of sand. I believe in free market economy. Banning importation is not the way to encourage local production. Improving the quality of local production to be at par or above that of foreign products is the way forward
Bros the masses wicked pass government here... But people no dey wan gree...
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Atarakpa: 10:39am On Jun 22, 2023
Tinubu for 2nd term

1 Like

Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Crvrider: 10:40am On Jun 22, 2023
pedel:

Can you grow everything that you will eat?
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Procashtips(m): 10:45am On Jun 22, 2023
GoodGovernance:

Fact.

Let them continue to deceive themselves, by eating local rice in "foreign" bag.

90% of the current rice in Nigeria = Local rice

Do not be fooled by the brand name.

If you understand how most Nigerians think, you will so enjoy yourself in money and influence.

The smart farmers/marketers are swimming in money for almost 8 years now.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by sherylbaky(f): 10:49am On Jun 22, 2023
Don't mind the writer, our currency had strong value even when we were importing almost everything than now.
Godisablealltim:
agbado people like u won't mention the imported rice is cheaper than the local product.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Jayhome24: 11:05am On Jun 22, 2023
nwajesus12:
reopened for car importation shocked

Ok. Sorry I don't know border are opened in phase by phase I thought when border is opened its opened for all goods and commodities.
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Jeffyblaq(m): 11:06am On Jun 22, 2023
This is what Nigeria need.

Export promotion +import reduction..

But certainly not shutting down the border for anything where the necessary things to encourage the local farmers, funds, storage facilities, transportation for sales etc and the the mayhem caused by bandits have not been tackled.

The government should stop fooling my gullible folks☹️

I still wonder when people say they are graduates in this country..😑

Itz really pathetic 😔

Oh I forgot 😯wat bout the rice pyramid buhari, osibanjo and Apc led government have been show casing to the world 🌍🤔
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by brightleave(m): 11:14am On Jun 22, 2023
Jogs1900:

Not only rice..Food items generally
Kai! Na wa o. Once importance of rice is legalised come join this one wey we dey so. NAIRA go just condemn join the one wey e dey so
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by baralatie(m): 11:14am On Jun 22, 2023
Dollar go cost more
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by FireUpNow(m): 11:16am On Jun 22, 2023
nwajesus12:
shut up
come to shut it
Re: FG Okays Re-Opening Of Seme Border For Vehicle Importation by Drone95(m): 11:16am On Jun 22, 2023
pedel:

I'm sure u have eaten imported rice today angry rice importation is our way in ogun state, idiroko border in particular.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Policewoman Carries Bottled Drink For This Lady (Photo) / Goodluck Johnathan Posts About Babangida Aliyu & 12 Northern Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.