Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,680 members, 7,816,783 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) (5288 Views)

I Finally Had To Turnoff My Refrigerator / Between Hisense And Nexus Refrigerator / Brand New Refrigerator Not Cooling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 10:45am On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

The distribution company should put you all on prepaid billing, so that you can dispose that evil called hot plate. Same goes to boiling rings. Nigerians waste energy when they see it for free. If you were on prepaid, you wouldn't be plugging that your hot plate anyhow.

That said, if the ;D24hrs last or not, they can easily revert my area to our 15hrs+ a day. Not bad at all. But I know there are many states that are not benefitting from this increased power supply. Maybe Tinubu doesn't care if they think he is working. This is me testing your assumption.
Why do you sound Jealous of my hot plate 😒😒 No be me tell Nepa make them never install prepaid reach my area đŸ€ȘđŸ€Ș
That said There are also demerits of estimated billing, but I sha enjoy my hot plate, my spending on gas has reduced cheesy cheesy grin grin

I think that most of the states with high population seem the most beneficial to this and it’s enough to score cheap, “we are already working” points from a handful of the populace, given that this government is notorious for doing things that seem beneficial from the outside but have little impact when scrutinized just to score cheap performance points in the mind of the people, then my best is guess is that this is a “let them think we are working” move
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by RenaissanceGuy: 10:59am On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:
One week is not too short. We have always had impressive power supply here for a year. At least 15 hours a day. There was a time I didn't touch generator for 3 months and it wasn't rainy season.
Nobody's light is being rerouted here because we are on prepaid billing. If they don't give us light, no money for them.
Well, routing of power supply has nothing to do with whether you're on prepaid or on estimated billing. It's simply to avoid redundancy or wastage.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 11:00am On Jun 23, 2023
PhenomenalMorgan:

Why do you sound Jealous of my hot plate 😒😒 No be me tell Nepa make them never install prepaid reach my area đŸ€ȘđŸ€Ș
That said There are also demerits of estimated billing, but I sha enjoy my hot plate, my spending on gas has reduced cheesy cheesy grin grin

I once shared electricity bill with someone that uses hot plate and boiling ring. I never knew she was using those things and I was left wondering what was happening. The day they installed prepaid for us, it slipped from her mouth that she has stopped using her hot plate.

I have also read stories of how hot plate dey shock person. Seen news of students that burnt their hostels with it. Then boiling ring almost killed my sibling. So, I have phobia for these things.

I think that most of the states with high population seem the most beneficial to this and it’s enough to score cheap, “we are already working” points from a handful of the populace, given that this government is notorious for doing things that seem beneficial from the outside but have little impact when scrutinized just to score cheap performance points in the mind of the people, then my best is guess is that this is a “let them think we are working” move

Makes sense! But I thought it is now privatised. Individual states should install prepaid meters, give light and make money. Even if they don't want to impress Tinubu, they should impress their state governors. It would give more credence to the fight for regional government.

1 Like

Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 11:01am On Jun 23, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
Well, routing of power supply has nothing to do with whether you're on prepaid or on estimated billing. It's simply to avoid redundancy or wastage.

If you are not paying, no one will route to you. NEPA no be mumu. Definitely not the ones in urban Lagos. They give more light to people that pay. Not the ones that pull ladder away from the pole and injure their technicians. In Lagos you would most times find impressive power supply in areas with prepaid meters.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by RenaissanceGuy: 11:09am On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

If you are not paying, no one will route to you. NEPA no be mumu. They give more light to people that pay. Not the ones that pull ladder away from the pole and injure their technicians.
grin Looks like we've arrived at a single point: the improved power supply to your area and across many parts Nigeria at the moment, is not that Nigeria is now suddenly generating 1m mW overnight, but most likely due to yearly improvement in generation every rainy season or temporary power re-routing due to damage to another area's power network. We experience same here in Abuja.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 11:13am On Jun 23, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
grin Looks like we've arrived at a single point: the improved power supply to your area and across many parts Nigeria at the moment, is not that Nigeria is now suddenly generating 1m kW overnight, but most likely due to yearly improvement in generation every rainy season or temporary power re-routing due to damage to another area's power network. We experience same here in Abuja.

Okay. There are two states in Nigeria, Lagos and Abuja. Maybe Anambra too.

The remaining 33 states do not experience rain fall and no rerouting in those areas.

1 Like

Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 11:15am On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

I once shared electricity bill with someone that uses hot plate and boiling ring. I never knew she was using those things and I was left wondering what was happening. The day they installed prepaid for us, it slipped from her mouth that she has stopped using her hot plate.

I have also read stories of how hot plate dey shock person. Seen news of students that burnt their hostels with it. Then boiling ring almost killed my sibling. So, I have phobia for these things.

Makes sense! But I thought it is now privatised. Individual states should install prepaid meters, give light and make money. Even if they don't want to impress Tinubu, they should impress their state governors. It would give more credence to the fight for regional government.
I don’t fancy the boiling ring thing, I’ll rather use a Norma kettle to boil water on a hot plate, or even get an actual electric kettle, I think the ring thing has the most risks for electric shock, though I’ve never had an experience of shock from either using a hot plate or a boiling ring.
What about those fancy electric cookers I see in foreign movies, I heard those ones don’t consume much power??

To be honest, I don’t still understand this Nepa privatizing thing, but I sha know that states are not yet allowed to generate and directly sell their own electricity, Awon DISCOs and GENCOs , me I don’t know, all I know is that to the average Nigerian, if electricity improves, the federal government gets the credit.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by okirewaju(f): 12:00pm On Jun 23, 2023
Nazgul:

I said something about that some weeks back. It's like that in Lagos only. Cos I have a friend in Kano who's been ranting about darkness and how he's been consuming fuel for his business.

Same with the SE as well, EEDC is dealing with them over there. The enjoyment as I've come to notice is strictly for Lagos residents only.

One more thing...I'll suggest you load your prepaid as much as possible cos from what I'm hearing, tariff would be increased by over 40% from 1st July (next month). If possible load it in such a way that it would last you till January next year. I overloaded mine last night.
If we load it and they start charging the new tariff , won't it still be deducted with the new rate?
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by Jcoleworld911: 12:01pm On Jun 23, 2023
Nazgul:

I never included Anambra in my post I said Ebonyi, Enugu and Abia. These are the states I can confirm that electricity is below average, because I have people there who I talk with frequently.

I’m not so sure this particular hotel is connected with nepa or maybe they are having issues with them, most people doesn’t pay for nepa bills that explains sometimes they will not have light, know also that prepaid meter is not rampant in Ai and bills there are relatively high

My parents are living in Ai and I frequent there a lot plus sometimes my family will go visiting

All the same bro, have a great day
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by RenaissanceGuy: 12:07pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

Okay. There are two states in Nigeria, Lagos and Abuja. Maybe Anambra too.

The remaining 33 states do not experience rain fall and no rerouting in those areas.
You're funny. Nigeria operates a national grid. So whatever is generated across all the different power stations, is sent to a central pool (I think TCN), which then decides how to share the power to the various distribution companies. BTW who told you other states are not experiencing improved power supply right now??
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 12:12pm On Jun 23, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
You're funny. Nigeria operates a national grid. So whatever is generated across all the different power stations, is sent to a central pool (I think TCN), which then decides how to share the power to the various distribution companies. BTW who told you other states are not experiencing improved power supply right now??

Other states is you going too far.
Ijegun, Lagos, doesn't have good power supply since Abacha's rainy season.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by RenaissanceGuy: 12:32pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

Other states is you going too far.
Ijegun, Lagos, doesn't have good power supply since Abacha's rainy season.
Nigeria rations power, because what we generate is infinitesimal compared to what we need. The less than 5000MW we currently generate for a population of 200m+ people should ordinarily be for Lagos alone. The people in charge of the rationing determine which areas get more stable power supply, using some metrics that may not be available to the general public.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 12:34pm On Jun 23, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
Nigeria rations power, because what we generate is infinitesimal compared to what we need. The less than 5000MW we currently generate for a population of 200m+ people should ordinarily be for Lagos alone. The people in charge of the rationing determine which areas get more stable power supply, using some metrics that may not be available to the general public.

And I have told you already that in Lagos, prepaid billing is one of the metrics. Simpu! If you ever move to Lagos, please target areas where over 60% of the houses sample prepaid meters in the front. Nothing like unkown metrics. Those areas are more prone to having power and even if they don't have, they won't lose their money to nonsense estimated billing without power supply.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by DaveHarry(m): 12:37pm On Jun 23, 2023
they are trying to make your death come quicker. dey play
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by GloriousGbola: 1:03pm On Jun 23, 2023
Let me weigh in. There are multiple possibilities.

1)ekedp has tiered plans now. They can approach an estate and strike an agreement. Pay 50% or more above standard rate, and we give you a dedicated feeder that supplies 15 or more hours of power per day. They have this is in gbagada right now.

2)all that kainji dam story is bs. Kainji dam has a capacity of 760mw. This is among other supplies feeding into the national grid. Lagos get less than 1200mw from the grid

3) I have become a broken record on the liberalization of the power sector. With the laws finally signed, you can generate power without having to feed into the national grid. That has been the real bane of power in large parts of Nigeria. Over centralization, a relic of the times when govt insisted on doing everything Now anyone can build a power station in lagos and sell to ekedp or ikedc directly. In industrialized states like lagos or ogun or abia, power issues will become a thing of the past.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 1:26pm On Jun 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:
Let me weigh in. There are multiple possibilities.

1)ekedp has tiered plans now. They can approach an estate and strike an agreement. Pay 50% or more above standard rate, and get 15 or more hours per day

2)all that kainji dam story is bs. Kainji dam has a capacity of 760mw. This is among other supplies feeding into the national grid. Lagos get less than 1200mw from the grid

3) I have become a broken record on the liberalization of the power sector. With the laws finally signed, you can generate power without having to feed into the national grid. That has been the real bane of power in large parts of Nigeria. Over centralization, a relic of the times when govt insisted on doing everything Now anyone can build a power station in lagos and sell to ekedp or ikedc directly. In industrialized states like lagos or ogun or abia, power issues will become a thing of the past.

Thank you @ No 1.
I think this is our case. We pay about N70 per unit already and we have always had good power supply. If our transformer has issues, they fix it ASAP. The longest it has taken to fix an issue was 2 weeks. We have a representative we call and if it is a minor issue, he fixes it immediately, except if it is past 4 or 5pm. Then the next working day.

2) Very funny. Even houses wey dey near Kainji Dam fit no get light this o.

3) I look forward to this. The only problem here is that the majority can't afford it now. If they increase it, how would an individual on 30k salary cope. Anyway, I will buy when they are ready to sell. For me, it is cheaper than running gen and rushing to work at 5am with eyebags.

1 Like

Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by GloriousGbola: 1:38pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

Thank you @ No 1.
I think this is our case. We pay high almost N70 per unit already and we have had good power supply. If our transformer has issues, they fix it ASAP. The longest it has taken to fix an issue was about 2 weeks. We have a representative we call and if it is a minor issue, he fixes it immediately, except if it is past 4 or 5pm. Then the next working day.

2) Very funny. Even houses wey dey near Kanji Dam fit no get light this o.

3) I look forward to this. The only problem here is that the majority can't afford it now. If they increase it, how would an individual on 30k salary cope. Anyway, I will buy when they are ready to sell. For me, it is cheaper than running gen and rushing to work at 5am with eyebags.

As to kainji I was in kainji in 2002/3. My employer at the time was running upgrades on their protection equipment. I can guarantee they have light 24/7. And plenty of fish too.

As an aside fk ibb for taking kainji from Kwara state and putting it in Niger state during one of those state creation exercises

If The increase in cost of power comes with more reliability (as it should) it can open up industries that will pay good wages. Serious car assembly requires electricity as an example. It is the chicken and the egg question again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 1:40pm On Jun 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

As to kainji I was in kainji in 2002/3. My employer at the time was running upgrades on their protection equipment. I can guarantee they have light 24/7. And plenty of fish too.

As an aside Bleep ibb for taking kainji from Kwara state and putting it in Niger state during one of those state creation exercises

I said that as a joke sef. So people actually live near the dam? I don't envy them. lipsrsealed
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by GloriousGbola: 1:43pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

I said that as a joke sef. So people actually live near the dam? I don't envy them. lipsrsealed

They are perfectly safe. Unless a terrorist decides to blow the dam. Which is what happened in Ukraine sad.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 1:45pm On Jun 23, 2023
GloriousGbola:

They are perfectly safe. Unless a terrorist decides to blow the dam. Which is what happened in Ukraine sad.

No noise from the water?

https://punchng.com/51-years-after-giving-land-for-kainji-hydropower-host-communities-wallow-in-darkness-poverty/
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by GloriousGbola: 1:50pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

No noise from the water?

https://punchng.com/51-years-after-giving-land-for-kainji-hydropower-host-communities-wallow-in-darkness-poverty/

If I recall, the town immediately around the dam is new bussa. Because I was in the area for three weeks and as I recall light only blinked once. As to noise from the dam, I honestly cannot remember but I do not think there was.

It is possible that as a naija matter they failed to connect other environs not in the immediate vicinity.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by RenaissanceGuy: 2:19pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

And I have told you already that in Lagos, prepaid billing is one of the metrics. Simpu! If you ever move to Lagos, please target areas where over 60% of the houses sample prepaid meters in the front. Nothing like unkown metrics. Those areas are more prone to having power and even if they don't have, they won't lose their money to nonsense estimated billing without power supply.
Well, well,... I could go on and on, but this is where I hang my booths.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by Nazgul: 2:59pm On Jun 23, 2023
okirewaju:
If we load it and they start charging the new tariff , won't it still be deducted with the new rate?
The new tariff would take effect from 1st July. we're still in June.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by Nazgul: 3:01pm On Jun 23, 2023
Jcoleworld911:
I’m not so sure this particular hotel is connected with nepa or maybe they are having issues with them, most people doesn’t pay for nepa bills that explains sometimes they will not have light, know also that prepaid meter is not rampant in Ai and bills there are relatively high

My parents are living in Ai and I frequent there a lot plus sometimes my family will go visiting

All the same bro, have a great day
They're not having issues with NEPA. They're having issues with their gen. That's why they don't have light. I asked him if they're connected to NEPA and he said yes but power is poor.

The hotel is at liberation estate, after ahia ofuru.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by pocohantas(f): 3:03pm On Jun 23, 2023
okirewaju:

I doubt that would be the case, but I am curious too. I think it is prepaid for a reason. Could be favourable or nah. Imagine after loading 30k, they refuse to give light for 3 months.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by okirewaju(f): 3:24pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:

I doubt that would be the case, but I am curious too. I think it is prepaid for a reason. Could be favourable or nah. Imagine after loading 30k, they refuse to give light for 3 months.
cheesy cheesy cheesy
It's a win-win sha. Since the 30k will be there even if they bring back the light next year. Prepaid is the way to go.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by okirewaju(f): 3:25pm On Jun 23, 2023
Nazgul:

The new tariff would take effect from 1st July. we're still in June.
I'm tempted to follow your footstep. That was how I delayed until fuel price skyrocketed angry
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by haybhi1(m): 3:33pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:
For the past one week, they want to kill us with electricity. Frozen gizzard and chicken franks.
I threw the gizzard on the floor and it refused to scatter. angry

You no go like invite us come your abode?
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by Nazgul: 4:13pm On Jun 23, 2023
pocohantas:
Exactly. What was increased was the tariff not the energy consumption rate. So it won't affect your already loaded units.

It's like what happened during the lockdown of 2020 when MTN started selling their N100 MTN card for N150. That N100 recharge card would still give you the same call time cos the call rates wasn't increased, what was increased was the recharge card.

okirewaju:
I'm tempted to follow your footstep. That was how I delayed until fuel price skyrocketed angry
Biko hurry and buy yours... delay is dangerous.

1 Like

Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by Divay22(f): 6:41pm On Jun 23, 2023
Nazgul:

It's only Lagos. Cos I've been calling people based outside Lagos and they've all been complaining seriously about the epileptic power NEPA has been giving them...it's even worse in the SS and SE.

It certainly defiles the rainy season argument, cos Lagos is currently building her own power station and from what I'm hearing, they're already relieving some power stations of their heavy workloads so more stations are becoming free cos they wouldn't need to be regulated anymore since they're no longer being overworked. Hence the improved power supply

Lol@ your last paragraph. That's exactly what happened to me last night. I'm even projecting my units to finish by January next year. I don't have strength for this administration.
Add Port Harcourt to your Lagos mix

I'm even scared of the light now grin
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by Suzzytee05(f): 6:44pm On Jun 23, 2023
This improved light people are talking about, we that are living in Lagos outskirts I mean from Magboro, Mowe, Ibafo, Aseese, Simawa etc don't know about it o.

The total light we've had this week is not even up to 12 hours. People here depend on Generators and Solar.
Re: Increased Power Supply: The State Of Things In My Refrigerator (photos deleted) by gracefoundmme(m): 7:42pm On Jun 23, 2023
Suzzytee05:
This improved light people are talking about, we that are living in Lagos outskirts I mean from Magboro, Mowe, Ibafo, Aseese, Simawa etc don't know about it o.

The total light we've had this week is not even up to 12 hours. People here depend on Generators and Solar.
Exactly.
Except you are living in RCCG camp.
The light situation in mowe is something else

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can One Make Yoghurt? / How To Make Party Fruit Punch / Game: Lets Cook Naira Land Shrimp Fried Rice Together. So Add Ur Own Ok

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.