Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,502 members, 7,816,194 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ (49722 Views)

Inside The Ill-fated Oceangate Titan Submarine That Imploded Killing 5 (Pic/Vid) / All Five People Onboard Titanic Sub Are All Very Sadly Dead, Ocean Gate Confirms / Titanic Submersible: Missing Craft Has About 40 Hours Of 'breathable Air Left' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Antiochus(m): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2023
Debris of missing submersible was found near the bow of the Titanic on sea floor with all on board lost, official says.

The Titan submersible that has been missing for days in the Atlantic Ocean with five men on board suffered a “catastrophic loss” consistent with the implosion of the vessel, the US Coast Guard has said.

A remote-controlled robot (ROV) found the debris off the bow of the Titanic, the century-old shipwreck that was the intended destination of the expedition.

The submersible which had been missing since Sunday sparked a massive search spanning thousands of miles of the North Atlantic ocean, pulling in US and Canadian agencies as well as other international assistance.

OceanGate the company that owns the vessel had announced Thursday those on board, four tourists and the company’s CEO, who was piloting the craft, had died.

“We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost,” the company said in a statement.

Dawood is a Pakistani-British businessman; his son is 19. Harding is a British billionaire. Gargeolet is a 77-year-old French explorer.

“These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure, and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world’s oceans. Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time,” OceanGate said on Thursday.

US Coast Guard Rear Admiral John Mauger told reporters on Thursday that an ROV first found the tail cone of the sub about 500 metres (1,600 ft) from the bow of the Titanic and later found pieces consistent with a “catastrophic loss of the pressure” in the vessel.

“Upon this determination, we immediately notified the families,” Mauger said.

“On behalf of the United States Coast Guard and the entire unified command, I offer my deepest condolences to the families. I can only imagine what this has been like for them. And I hope that this discovery provides some solace during this difficult time.”

Mauger suggested that the undersea noises detected earlier in the week, which offered a glimmer of hope for rescuing the sub’s crew, were not related to the vessel. He said the Titan’s implosion would have produced a “significant broadband sound” that sonar buoys used by search crews would have picked up.

The days-long multinational search for the sub had captured the world’s attention and drew contrast between the efforts made to rescue the five men on-board versus what advocates describe as global indifference to refugees who drown in the Mediterranean.

The OceanGate expedition costs $250,000 per person. Its trip starts in St John’s in the Canadian province of Newfoundland before heading out to the Titanic wreckage site hundreds of kilometres to the southeast, the company’s website shows.

Dik Barton, a veteran Titanic explorer, told Al Jazeera earlier on Thursday that deep sea expeditions are dangerous operations.

“It’s a perilous place to go – dangerous, inhospitable, hostile,” Barton said. “And the circumstance at which this vessel disappeared was extremely odd.”

He added that it was “crucial” to find the vessel even if hopes of finding survivors diminish.

“Post-event, there’s going to be a massive inquiry, and I’m sure legislation and regulation [will] become tighter and more scrutinising.”

Mauger, of the US Coast Guard, acknowledged that there are questions swirling around how an incident like this could occur.

“This is something that happened in a remote portion of the ocean with people from several different countries around the world,” he said. “And so it is a complex case to work through, but I’m confident that those questions will begin to get answered.”

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/6/22/missing-titan-sub-likely-imploded-in-catastrophic-loss

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 9:31pm On Jun 22, 2023
The end!

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by ManWater: 9:31pm On Jun 22, 2023
Oyibo sha!
Imagine paying over ₦180m only to end up dying a horrible death 4km deep below the ocean.
Crazy enough, if they come up with another submarine for same expenditure, Oyibo will still rush to buy tickets.

291 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Hezzyluv: 9:33pm On Jun 22, 2023
There's something about this Titanic ship then ordinary eyes can envisage.

RIP to the deaths billionaires cry

114 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Antiochus(m): 9:41pm On Jun 22, 2023
Hezzyluv:
There's something about this Titanic ship then ordinary eyes can envisage.

RIP to the deaths. cry

There is nothing jor. No be today explorers and oceanographers dey go there. May their souls RIP.

187 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by jargonzboi(m): 9:51pm On Jun 22, 2023
Na wa

1 Like

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2023
This is so tragic

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by FalseProphet1(m): 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2023
sad
Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Akwamkpuruamu: 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2023
It's unfortunate that Stockton Rush built wetin kill am!

That's life shaa, what happens when you have excess money. Imagine 250kusd per person on an expedition that puts your chances of survival less than 0.05%

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Righteousness2(m): 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2023
Condolences to the families of the Dead.

If Money could save or buy life, these mega super billionaires would have been alive

Vanity upon Vanity, All is vanity. Everything is vanity.

Having JESUS CHRIST is the ONLY thing that Gives Real Value to this Life. Nothing else.

91 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Gertyman: 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2023
Very painful way to pass away

5 Likes

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by IkeGod9891(m): 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2023
What I still don’t understand is why the people, who were able to pay large amounts to go on the OceanGate submersible ill-fated expedition, couldn’t afford to research the genuine safety concerns that were public knowledge!!!

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by RingRoadMafia: 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2023
Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Padipadi(m): 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2023
Ok. Let dem rest well
Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Nonso92(m): 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2023
Damn!! Just like that, they're gone
Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by KingAzubuike(f): 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2023

1 Like

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Oscarchims: 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2023
Oceanographer
Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Khastro(m): 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2023
Oh dear. Too bad really. I was rooting for their discovery. This joins the list of mysterious events, literally.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by LUAN1: 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2023
Hac to read, stopped half way
Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by KingAzubuike(f): 9:58pm On Jun 22, 2023
Exodus15v11:
This is so tragic
Yeah so tragic

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Creamypie(m): 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
Na real wah. Titanic of 111 years ago still dey kill people today

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by WorldRichest: 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
Very lucky people, they choosed the type of death they wanted, and they got it.

They should go and explain to God.

Idiots and nincompoops. Money miss road

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Pickmycall: 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
Even the billionaire onboard the ship who didn't know what to do with his money also died.
All onboard were lost to sharks.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by princeogbeide1(m): 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
H

1 Like

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by RingRoadMafia: 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
B
Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by id4sho(m): 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
$250k to death, local man can't try this shitty tongue

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by yesloaded: 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
RIP
Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Buhari4dullard: 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
Its why I say, we need Jesus.

Only Jesus saves

It looks like somebody on this vessel was being chased by an evil spirit.

Dem do their normal thing.

7 Likes

Re: Missing Titanic Sub Likely Imploded In ‘catastrophic Loss’ by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:59pm On Jun 22, 2023
I like adventures lifestyle but you see some adventures are not for me...

Me inside submarine deep down inside the ocean my village people will be smiling in HD if I try that grin

53 Likes 11 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Have Lived in (or Visited) over 30 Countries. Ask Me Almost Anything (+ Pics) / Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers / Nigerian Lady Gets Deported From The U.S Because Of Weaves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.