Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar (26408 Views)

Gabriel Diya, Son & Daughter Drown In Swimming Pool In Spain - Inquest Hears / Pictures From My First Boat Cruise Experience / Sheikh Abdulganiyu Nuraini & His Aides Drown In Kwara Flood (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by torqque7(m): 3:11pm On Jun 25, 2023
Why will someone in their right mind go on a boat without life jacket knowing fully well you cannot swim?
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Wildkat02: 3:14pm On Jun 25, 2023
Reminds me of a similar incident that took place in my 2nd year in Medical School, when a colleague drowned in a river after a frivolous adventure. I remember how heartbroken the whole College of Medicine became for almost 6 months.

Sometimes we should learn to stick to the business of the day and avoid unnecessary frivolity.

RIP to the lost souls.
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Wildkat02: 3:19pm On Jun 25, 2023
judatech:
Titanic
Migrants
Medical students
All water mishap...
Trying to connect the dots🤔

Don’t connect any dots. There’s no conspiracy theory here
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Kajaard: 3:20pm On Jun 25, 2023
HeDied:
Unavoidable situation. I learnt the boat was over loaded with no life jacket. No value for human life. Crazy.

Avoidable
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by bizhop01: 3:22pm On Jun 25, 2023
Many here think that rivers in Niger delta are like swimming pools that when you know how to swim you will survive.

River that very scaring in appearance, deep, wide and unstable that you can swim for over 30 minutes without reaching an end.
Without quality life jacket you must be professional swimmer before you survive if you drop in, only people that travel in Niger delta rivers will understand this cool
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Wildkat02: 3:24pm On Jun 25, 2023
juman:
They read book so much but they lacked common sense.
Life Jacket should be must.
Also if you are not good swimmer even with life Jacket dont do boat cruise thing in nigeria unless you desire to die.

The truth is that boat cruise was an illegal activity they embarked on and neither was it certified by the NIMSA board organizing the whole thing. If not, every safety precaution would have been met. Ever wondered why it’s only a few students that embarked on the voyage?

Those students are the heady ones who just strayed away for a different type of fun. From the news up there, NIMSA organized a better social activity which was the visiting of the Slave History Museum, which would benefit the students more intellectually and not a dangerous boat cruise.

1 Like

Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by bukatyne(f): 3:25pm On Jun 25, 2023
I pray God console and comfort the families and friends of those students.

Water is really vexing these days.

Ki Olorun shanu.
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by HeDied: 3:28pm On Jun 25, 2023
Kajaard:

Avoidable

My dear, thank you for the correcton. Na economy cause am.
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Kajaard: 3:29pm On Jun 25, 2023
HeDied:

My dear, thank you for the correcton. Na economy cause am.

No wahala. Happy Sunday cool

1 Like

Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Lobotomy02: 3:32pm On Jun 25, 2023
Subhannallah!
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by kingyakos: 3:34pm On Jun 25, 2023
The reporter say na "as God and Satan may have it" grin grin grin grin
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Lovelyn451(f): 3:41pm On Jun 25, 2023
Some people shouldn't go near water, they are of water and they don't know it, if u join such person, when water comes for him/ her everybody in that boat is a goner, watch how other bodies will float after some days, one person body no go float and he/she is the cause of this mishap
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by wallrichy: 3:50pm On Jun 25, 2023
So sad indeed. I have travelled on that same channel severally enroute to Calabar fairway bouy. infact Calabar Channel wave is one of the greatest and most tumultuous wave we have in Nigeria water. I have seen where the waves broke a fibre boat into two. The waves goes as high as 6 to 7meters high and you can imagine the impact on the boat during landing. Another tumultuous channels is Bonny channels, then Ibeano/QIT channels....those areas should be explore with high carefulness and readiness. Even with good life jackets and having swimming experience, it will still be difficult to manoeuvre your way out easily. RIP

1 Like

Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by wallrichy: 3:52pm On Jun 25, 2023
I knew you are a female by your write up. You are so so funny......have a lovely Sunday.

Lovelyn451:
Some people shouldn't go near water, they are of water and they don't know it, if u join such person, when water comes for him/ her everybody in that boat is a goner, watch how other bodies will float after some days, one person body no go float and he/she is the cause of this mishap
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by phemmyfour: 4:31pm On Jun 25, 2023
poshestmina:
Water is clear but wetin dey under water no clear at all!

Rest in peace to all the recent water mishaps victims.
Illiteracy

When you did not observe water safety, expect waterways accident.

Is road not clear, why do we still have road accident
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Bluntemperor: 4:42pm On Jun 25, 2023
bizhop01:
Many here think that rivers in Niger delta are like swimming pools that when you know how to swim you will survive.
River that very scaring in appearance, deep, wide and unstable that you can swim for over 30 minutes without reaching an end.
Without quality life jacket you must be professional swimmer before you survive if you drop in, only people that travel in Niger delta rivers will understand this cool

GBAM
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Funflipper: 4:57pm On Jun 25, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Thank you. I didn't even realize. That's one challenge with auto correct when you type. One will keep proof reading and am lazy at proof reading. Thank you.

Yes sir!
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by God2man2again(m): 5:18pm On Jun 25, 2023
During this rainy season?
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Oyindamolah: 5:31pm On Jun 25, 2023
judatech:
Titanic
Migrants
Medical students
All water mishap...
Trying to connect the dots🤔
come up with some conspiracy theory sh!t

2 Likes

Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Guapismo: 5:46pm On Jun 25, 2023
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by naturefellow(m): 6:09pm On Jun 25, 2023
Cassandraloius:
The other day it was Titanic, now Calabar cry. May God comfort the bereaved families, this is so hard to bear. cry

OceanGate Titan biko, not Titanic. LOL

1 Like

Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by FireUpNow(m): 6:28pm On Jun 25, 2023
How would the parents of the dead students feel about this? This is very sad
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Jimraz4: 6:33pm On Jun 25, 2023
No life jacket.
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Chibuezem(m): 6:58pm On Jun 25, 2023
juman:
They read book so much but they lacked common sense.
Life Jacket should be must.
Also if you are not good swimmer even with life Jacket dont do boat cruise thing in nigeria unless you desire to die.
Stop this hypocrisy, the boat had expired life jackets and was overcrowded. If we are to blame (which will not bring back the dead) it's the company in charge of the trip.
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by dennisbee(m): 7:46pm On Jun 25, 2023
Wildkat02:

The truth is that boat cruise was an illegal activity they embarked on and neither was it certified but the NIMSA board organizing the whole thing. If not, every safety precaution would have been met. Ever wondered why it’s only a few students that embarked on the voyage?

Those students are the heady ones who just strayed away for a different type of fun. From the news up there, NIMSA organized a better social activity which was the visiting of the Slave History Museum, which would benefit the students more intellectually and not a dangerous boat cruise.

Very correct.

Some time last year or so, my office embarked on a similar excursion to this same Marina Resort in Calabar. We went there to see the Slave Museum. That was the essence!

But myself and a few other colleagues thought it fun to experience a boat ride across to one island like that to see crocodiles, etc.

We wore life jackets. It is mandatory for everyone in the boat to wear it. The boat guys won't allow you in if you're not wearing it. So I believe they all wore life jackets.

The question now would be, where their life jackets functional? Where they expired? I'm even scared reading this story cos I'm imagining that it could have been us at the time. And tht thing I wore that I thought could save me could have just been some empty cloak.

Although our boat was just going at a slow pace. I insisted on no speeding sha.

Thank God for life.

Henceforth I will run FARRRR from anything water. I no just fit shout

1 Like

Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 7:50pm On Jun 25, 2023
Cheeeeeiiiii.......

I remember my year in Southern Ijaw, Ekowe as a Youth Corp member....Flying this speedboat with life jackets and zero swimming skills for 1hr 45mins from Yenegoa Swalli market...

God, am still raising my hands for you, you saw me through abeg....

Las Las , we all have a date to die , but may it not be too sudden or from our mistakes.... Amen

Rest in peace to the victims
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Cutehector(m): 7:57pm On Jun 25, 2023
Final destination.
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Wildkat02: 8:05pm On Jun 25, 2023
dennisbee:

Very correct.

Some time last year or so, my office embarked on a similar excursion to this same Marina Resort in Calabar. We went there to see the Slave Museum. That was the essence!

But myself and a few other colleagues thought it fun to experience a boat ride across to one island like that to see crocodiles, etc.

We wore life jackets. It is mandatory for everyone in the boat to wear it. The boat guys won't allow you in if you're not wearing it. So I believe they all wore life jackets.

The question now would be, where their life jackets functional? Where they expired? I'm even scared reading this story cos I'm imagining that it could have been us at the time. And tht thing I wore that I thought could save me could have just been some empty cloak.

Although our boat was just going at a slow pace. I insisted on no speeding sha.

Thank God for life.

Henceforth I will run FARRRR from anything water. I no just fit shout
Since the day water dealt with me, I begin dey fear water wey dey inside drum sef
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Deewhy9993(m): 10:03pm On Jun 25, 2023
So sad
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by Cassandraloius: 10:25pm On Jun 25, 2023
naturefellow:

OceanGate Titan biko, not Titanic. LOL

Thank you.
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by poshestmina(f): 1:14am On Jun 26, 2023
phemmyfour:
Illiteracy

When you did not observe water safety, expect waterways accident.

Is road not clear, why do we still have road accident

Low IQ and silliest of them all.

No matter the sparkling, safeties and precautions!
Wetin dey under WATER no fit ever clear.

Go and ask the last surviving elder in your lineage then come back to quote me.
E-jiot😷

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct61OepMxkd/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
Re: Medical Students On Boat Cruise Drown In Calabar by OloyeVIII: 5:52am On Jun 26, 2023
OSESUNATE:

Always jumping into conclusion.

Who told you there were no life jackets?

Even if you know how to swim, can you swim thru that kind of water body, have u seen the volume of water?

If you can't empathize with them, just slide instead of making useless accusations
If there were life jackets that would have kept them up for a bit, till rescue arrives and the water isn't freezing cold... Think before typin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? / FG Introduces Temporary Passports For Nigerians Abroad / Bauchi State: A Land Of Tourism And An Amazing Serene - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.