Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

What The Bible Says About Marriage - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Says About Marriage (12063 Views)

What The Bible Says About Homosexuality. / What The Bible Says About The Qur'an / Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe About Gay & What The Bible Says About Homosexuality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Truthshotcrazy: 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2023
cool
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 1:05pm On Jun 25, 2023
tonytony208:

A valueless man can't be a good husband or father. So, he doesn't deserve real love from any woman.

Even your male friends won't stick with you if you have no value
So what does a woman bring other than herself?
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 1:06pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

Why is it a scam?
There's nothing in it for a man other than procreation and sex and these two can be easily be gotten outside the trap called marriage
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 1:11pm On Jun 25, 2023
Image123:
Adultery is not a ground for divorce, fornication is. Get your facts right.

What is the difference between adultery and fornication?
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 1:12pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
There's nothing in it for a man other than procreation and sex and these two can be easily be gotten outside the trap called marriage

Is that so?

How is marriage a trap?

How is there nothing in marriage apart from procreation and sex?
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Image123(m): 1:15pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

All in the dictionary brother, all in the dictionary.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 1:18pm On Jun 25, 2023
Image123:

All in the dictionary brother, all in the dictionary.

It's because it's all in the dictionary am asking u since u said the guy didn't get his facts right.

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by TheGiftedOne(m): 1:21pm On Jun 25, 2023
The negative comments I read on here exemplifies the level of people I've been mingling with in this forum.

The most educative and morally benefiting thread by a mile is generating this kind of response. It is finished!
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Broveens42(m): 1:22pm On Jun 25, 2023
Op, you seem to be mixing up things because you fail to understand language.
We know these things are man made, but how bad can it be when you can't even understand simple context of a sentence.

Marriage in most parts of Africa involved paying of bride price and has no bearing with the one instituted by god as you put it

The context of Genesis 1:27, is just about opposite sexual relationship which Genesis god is firmly advocating for and not same sex relationship.
Look at the sentence:

Statement 1
"He made 'THEM' MALE and FEMALE..." (not HE/HE , SHE/SHE

Statement 2
"...blessed them to fruitful and to multiply.."(this can only be achieved through opposite sexual relationship)
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Image123(m): 1:27pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

It's because it's all in the dictionary am asking u since u said the guy didn't get his facts right.

Use an online dictionary if you don't have an hard copy.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 1:30pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

Is that so?

How is marriage a trap?

I just highlighted them , and those two things can be achieve outside marriage.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Westerhoffe(m): 1:32pm On Jun 25, 2023
hopefulLandlord:
I'm a Virgin and I'd remain one till I die. I pity these Christians getting married and having sex. the word "Christian" means "Christ-like" which means we are to act like Jesus Christ. Jesus never married, neither did he have sex so any Christian doing otherwise is a sinner

1 Timothy 4 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹ Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
² Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
³ Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Westerhoffe(m): 1:38pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jokanem:
What Does the Bible Say About Marriage?

After creating the first man and woman, God brought them together in marriage. He instituted marriage as a special bond between a man and a woman as a foundation for the family unit.—Genesis 1:27, 28; 2:18.

God wants married couples to be happy. (Proverbs 5:18) In the Bible, he provides standards for marriage as well as principles that can help a marriage succeed.

What are God’s standards for marriage?
From the beginning, God created marriage to be a union of one man and one woman. (Genesis 2:24) God does not approve of polygamy, homosexual acts, or couples living together without marriage. (1 Corinthians 6:9; 1 Thessalonians 4:3) Jesus taught his followers to adhere to God’s original standard for marriage.—Mark 10:6-8.

In God’s eyes, marriage creates a permanent bond. When a man and a woman get married, they promise to be loyal to each other and to stay together for as long as they are both alive. God expects them to keep that promise.—Mark 10:9.

What about separation and divorce?

There may be times when a husband and wife must be apart from each other, such as when one mate needs to travel to care for a family emergency. But the Bible discourages separation resulting from marital problems. Instead, it urges couples in such a situation to work toward reconciliation.—1 Corinthians 7:10.

Adultery is the only Scriptural grounds for divorce. (Matthew 19:9) Hence, if a husband and wife decide to separate or to divorce for any reason other than adultery, neither partner is Scripturally free to date someone else or to remarry.—Matthew 5:32; 1 Corinthians 7:11.

Does a marriage need to be registered legally to be approved by God?

God expects Christians to obey secular laws regarding marriage. (Titus 3:1) When it is possible for a couple to register their marriage legally, their doing so shows respect for secular authorities and for God’s standard that marriage is a lasting commitment. a

What roles and responsibilities does the Bible assign to husbands and wives?

Shared responsibilities. Husbands and wives should treat each other with love and respect. (Ephesians 5:33) They should care for each other’s sexual needs in a loving way and avoid all forms of unfaithfulness. (1 Corinthians 7:3; Hebrews 13:4) If they have children, husbands and wives share the responsibility of raising them.—Proverbs 6:20

The Bible does not discuss in detail how married couples should share secular work and household chores. They can decide together what will work best for their family.

A husband’s role.

The Bible says that “a husband is head of his wife.” (Ephesians 5:23) He is the head in the sense that he should guide his family and make decisions that will benefit his wife and children.

He should strive to ensure that their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs are cared for. (1 Timothy 5:cool He shows that he values his wife’s qualities and capabilities by working closely with her and by carefully considering her opinion and feelings when making decisions. (Proverbs 31:11, 28) The Bible says that a husband ought to care for his responsibilities in a loving way.—Colossians 3:19.

A wife’s role.

The Bible says that a “wife should have deep respect for her husband.” (Ephesians 5:33) God is pleased when a wife respects the role that he assigned to her husband.

Her role is to assist her husband, helping him to make good decisions and supporting his headship. (Genesis 2:18) The Bible speaks highly of a wife who fulfills her important role in marriage.—Proverbs 31:10.

Does God require married couples today to have children?

No. In the past, God commanded some of his worshippers to have children. (Genesis 1:28; 9:1) But Christians are not bound by that instruction. Jesus never commanded his followers to have children. Neither did any of his early disciples say that married couples must have children. Couples can decide for themselves whether they will raise a family.

How can the Bible help your marriage?

The Bible contains principles that can help couples get their marriage off to a good start. Bible principles can also help couples to avoid or overcome difficulties.

Bible principles can help a married couple to . . .

show true love.—1 Corinthians 13:4-7; Colossians 3:14.

deal with differences.—1 Corinthians 10:24.

be good listeners.—James 1:19.

show respect.—Romans 12:10.

be forgiving.—1 Peter 4:8.

be loyal.—Mark 10:9.

be patient.—Ephesians 4:2, 3.

work as a team.—Ecclesiastes 4:9.

strengthen their commitment.—Song of Solomon 8:7.

Regarding the Bible’s view of customary or tribal marriages, see The Watchtower of October 15, 2006, page 21, paragraph 12.

Bible verses about marriage
Proverbs 18:22: “The one who finds a good wife has found something good.”

Meaning: The Bible speaks positively about marriage.

Malachi 2:15: “Do not deal treacherously with the wife of your youth.”

Meaning: God wants husbands and wives to be faithful to each other and to treat each other respectfully, even after many years of marriage.

Mark 10:9: “What God has yoked together, let no man put apart.”

Meaning: God intended for marriage to be a permanent bond of companionship.

Hebrews 13:4: “Let marriage be honorable among all.”

Meaning: Couples should place a high value on their marriage and work hard to protect it.

1 Corinthians 7:28: “Those who [marry] will have tribulation in their flesh.”

Meaning: No marriage is perfect; couples need to work together to overcome challenges.

“If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:”
— Deuteronomy 21:15 (KJV)

I still have never found any portion of the Bible where GOD condemned polygamy.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Broveens42(m): 1:45pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

Why is it a scam?

You are asking if it's a scam? Lol.
Let me paint two scenarios..

A. A relationship with a girlfriend where you share bills and chores 50:50

B. A marriage with a partner where one spends 70% of bills

Which is a scam?
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by solreb: 1:46pm On Jun 25, 2023
Likoya:
You and your stupid God can go to hell with your stupid rules.... I didn't ask anybody to bring me to this world, I just found myself here. Yet the idiot claims to give people freedom of choice...Why didn't you give me freedom to choose if I wanted to come to this world first?
May God save your soul. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by solreb: 1:53pm On Jun 25, 2023
hopefulLandlord:
I'm a Virgin and I'd remain one till I die. I pity these Christians getting married and having sex. the word "Christian" means "Christ-like" which means we are to act like Jesus Christ. Jesus never married, neither did he have sex so any Christian doing otherwise is a sinner
Gen 1:28. God blessed them. And He said to them be fruitfull and multiply... God instituted marriage for companionship and reproduction so that people can increase on earth. There is nothing wrong if you decide to remain unmarried for the sake of the work of God like Apostle Paul or Catholic priests. However getting married does not make you a sinner. Apostle Peter married, just to give on example, and it was him Jesus handed the leadership of the church to.
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 1:54pm On Jun 25, 2023
Broveens42:

You are asking if it's a scam? Lol.
Let me paint two scenarios..

A. A relationship with a girlfriend where you share bills and chores 50:50

B. A marriage with a partner where one spends 70% of bills

Which is a scam?

You still haven't answered the question. Why is marriage a scam?
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 1:59pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
I just highlighted them , and those two things can be achieve outside marriage.
Where are the things you say u highlighted that answers these questions?

How is marriage a trap?

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 2:03pm On Jun 25, 2023
Image123:

Use an online dictionary if you don't have an hard copy.

It's because it's all in the dictionary (both online and offline) am asking u since u said the guy didn't get his facts right.

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Ishilove: 2:09pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
80% of most marriages end up in divorce and you're hear saying " most "? You must be delusional
Where did you get your statistics?
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 2:10pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

Where are the things you say u highlighted that answers these questions?

How is marriage a trap?

It's either you're blind ...or stupid . Because I don't see the point in repeating what I said , because I highlighting them two post ago , and here you are...still asking me the same dumb question. Anyway, Nairaland has idiots with comprehension problems
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Ishilove: 2:11pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

You still haven't answered the question. Why is marriage a scam?
You won't get any coherent answer from him. It is the unmarried ones or the ones in bad marriages that are mouthing off. Misery loves company
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 2:13pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
It's either you're blind ...or stupid . Because I don't see the point in repeating what I said , because I highlighting them two post ago , and here you are...still asking me the same dumb question. Anyway, Nairaland has idiots with comprehension problems

Except maybe you didn't understand yourself, what exactly did you highlight that answers my questions?

How is marriage a trap?

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 2:14pm On Jun 25, 2023
Ishilove:

Where did you get your statistics?
From your last divorce case on infographics
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 2:14pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

Except maybe you didn't understand yourself, what exactly did you highlight that answers my questions?

How is marriage a trap?

Another retarded question coming for a retarded nairalander
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 2:16pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
Another retarded question coming for a retarded nairalander

Getting emotional won't answer the questions.

How is marriage a trap?

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 2:17pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

Getting emotional won't answer the questions.

How is marriage a trap?

Sounding like a jobless broken record won't let you see that I answered that three post ago .
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 2:21pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
Sounding like a jobless broken record won't let you see that I answered that three post ago .
Are these the answers?

Jashub:

How is marriage a trap?

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 2:23pm On Jun 25, 2023
lexy2014:

Are these the answers?

How is marriage a trap?

Joblessness is your problem . So keep typing .
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Ishilove: 2:25pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
From your last divorce case on infographics
Infographics is not an authority in anything. You were writing as if you got your information from multiple sources
Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by lexy2014: 2:27pm On Jun 25, 2023
Jashub:
Joblessness is your problem . So keep typing .

I thought you said you have answered the questions? Are these not the answers you answered?
Jashub:

How is marriage a trap?

Re: What The Bible Says About Marriage by Jashub: 2:27pm On Jun 25, 2023
Ishilove:

Infographics is not an authority in anything. You were writing as if you got your information from multiple sources
I'll have you know that agencies like CBDC , WHO and other organizations, get the bulk of their data from infographics . So you requesting further proof from other sources sounds a bit off point and irrelevant to the discussion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! / Why Don't You Eat Before Church? / How Do You Cope During A Boring Church Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.