Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? (1486 Views)

So There Are Devs That Earn Up To 30k USD. / Why Is PHP Not Considered As A Best Backend For Web Development Again / Is PHP A Must In Nigeria Tech Industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Purvan(m): 8:28am On Jun 29, 2023
eventainment:
The thing is Nigerians follow trends I kinda regret not learning PHP I am now stuck with other languages and I can't seem to bend toward PHP cause I got 2backend languages I use frequently and am learning another one for more job opportunities but not PHP but PHP will give you jobs. Same reason im learning C++ it's old but still relevant

You made a mistake learning cpp , you could've learnt Go
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by eventainment(m): 9:03am On Jun 29, 2023
Purvan:

You made a mistake learning cpp , you could've learnt Go

Lol im done learning go integrated it on my last project. Cpp is for embedded systems and low level stuffs. Who knows what the future holds besides modern programming languages were built on top cpp

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Purvan(m): 9:48am On Jun 29, 2023
eventainment:

Lol im done learning go integrated it on my last project. Cpp is for embedded systems and low level stuffs. Who knows what the future holds besides modern programming languages were built on top cpp

Go is also for low level and embedded systems

Modern programming was built on C not cpp

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by eventainment(m): 1:59pm On Jun 29, 2023
Purvan:

Go is also for low level and embedded systems

Modern programming was built on C not cpp

Wow I never knew that. Maybe I've just explored the backend features if Go!. But I don't think there are much IC and microcontrollers out there that can be take go or say precompilers that precompiles to Go.
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by tosinhtml: 5:32pm On Jun 29, 2023
eventainment:
The thing is Nigerians follow trends I kinda regret not learning PHP I am now stuck with other languages and I can't seem to bend toward PHP cause I got 2backend languages I use frequently and am learning another one for more job opportunities but not PHP but PHP will give you jobs. Same reason im learning C++ it's old but still relevant

PHP is not something to worry about, you can learn it in a week, I promise you It's that simple. That is one major reason Devs hate it.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by eventainment(m): 7:40pm On Jun 29, 2023
tosinhtml:

PHP is not something to worry about, you can learn it in a week, I promise you It's that simple. That is one major reason Devs hate it.
Maybe later on sha. Cause most selling products on code canyon were developed with PHP and I am working on a product I want to sell. But with nodejs and the other with FastAPI. Hopefully, I meet potential subscribers
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Sulele04(m): 1:03pm On Jun 30, 2023
tosinhtml:
"What are the disadvantages of building with PHP and what considerations should one evaluate before settling on a language to learn?"

The only disadvantage is that people dislike PHP & the tech community is against it, they say it encourages bad practices & so on. So I'd advise NOT to learn it. You'd end up becoming jobless, except you want to be a full-time freelancer on Upwork.

AFAIK The language is an awesome language, very fast & easy to use. Most of the good jobs are remote jobs & if the Western tech communties say something is bad, even when you disagree, you have no option.

Most of the backend devs i know that used PHP Laravel have all moved to GO or C#. Java also is getting the hate but because It is mostly used by enterprise & those ones make a ton of revenue, so enterprise companies don't care about the hipster tech community crying about Java being too verbose.
Hello good day sir, please I need your advice.

Like I am just stuck on which path of tech to focus on, I am just jumping from one tech to another.

C#/Asp.net , go, javascript/typescript, python data science/engineering, It is everything here that I have tried, to nah stick to one is a problem maybe because I don't know which is the best in terms of jobs, pay & career.

I need your recommendation on the path for me take, thanks sir.
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by tosinhtml: 5:28pm On Jun 30, 2023
Sulele04:

Hello good day sir, please I need your advice.

Like I am just stuck on which path of tech to focus on, I am just jumping from one tech to another.

C#/Asp.net , go, javascript/typescript, python data science/engineering, It is everything here that I have tried, to nah stick to one is a problem maybe because I don't know which is the best in terms of jobs, pay & career.

I need your recommendation on the path for me take, thanks sir.

- Research the current job market to identify the programming languages that are in high demand. Someone did the analysis globally here: nairaland.com/7704855/comprehensive-research-junior-jobs-across and C# & Java came out tops. So I'd stick to C# and focus on it.

- Go to LinkedIn and Indeed, search the type jobs you want based on country/region and notice the number of results, this is how you know which tech/language has the most jobs.

- I personally advice against Python / Data Science. There are few jobs & most companies hire just 1 or 2 people for that role meanwhile Frontend & backend have like 10-20 open positions. Data Science is for media hype!

- Apply for non-paid foreign internships on LinkedIn or Indeed if you okay with not making money for now. Then stick to whatever language/tools that company is using & add it to your CV.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by qtguru(m): 11:05pm On Jun 30, 2023
tosinhtml:

- Research the current job market to identify the programming languages that are in high demand. Someone did the analysis globally here: nairaland.com/7704855/comprehensive-research-junior-jobs-across and C# & Java came out tops. So I'd stick to C# and focus on it.

- Go to LinkedIn and Indeed, search the type jobs you want based on country/region and notice the number of results, this is how you know which tech/language has the most jobs.

- I personally advice against Python / Data Science. There are few jobs & most companies hire just 1 or 2 people for that role meanwhile Frontend & backend have like 10-20 open positions. Data Science is for media hype!

- Apply for non-paid foreign internships on LinkedIn or Indeed if you okay with not making money for now. Then stick to whatever language/tools that company is using & add it to your CV.

LinkedIn has never really worked for me in terms of jobs.
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by tosinhtml: 12:36am On Jul 01, 2023
qtguru:

LinkedIn has never really worked for me in terms of jobs.

Ahh really, most of my jobs have been from LinkedIn. Including my current job.
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by qtguru(m): 12:51am On Jul 01, 2023
tosinhtml:

Ahh really, most of my jobs have been from LinkedIn. Including my current job.

Abeg tips
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by chukwuebuka65(m): 7:29pm On Jul 01, 2023
airsaylongcome:
So I wanted to spark some conversation around programming, developers and their perceptions of PHP. There seems to be a strong “dislike” to the language and I wanted to understand why. Would you experienced developers encourage someone to learn PHP? Apart from Wordpress and Moodle, are there any major projects on the global stage that are built using PHP? What are the disadvantages of building with PHP and what considerations should one evaluate before settling on a language to learn?

Boss I am open for intern or junior roles
Re: Nairaland Devs Is PHP Dead Among Nigerian Devs? by Sulele04(m): 9:52pm On Jul 01, 2023
tosinhtml:

Thanks sir, very insightful I really appreciate 🫡.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Tech Certifications That Actually Mean Something / I'm Having A Problem With This Qbasic. Who Can Help? / Hoiw Can I Mod Java Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.