Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,175 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga (32588 Views)

UNIMAID Students Protest Fees Hike(pictures) / The Bus Oshiomhole Donated To UNIBEN SUG 3 Years Ago (PHOTOS) / Uniben Sug Exco Passed A Vote Of No Confidence On The President Over #4,000,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Preferito(m): 1:50pm On Jun 27, 2023
nairalanda1:
So, she expects the university to survive on cheap fees?

Nigerians would complain all day long about half baked degrees...yet when efforts are made to improve things, they would complain poverty.

200000 naira is 270 dollars at most. And it is from that money that you expect degrees that can compete with unviersites that charge higher.?

Okay o. I don talk.
I don't know you... But this your view is totally senseless. It is evil for the University to hike their fee to such amount without considering the fact that people are feeling the heat from other necessities like food and transportation. You jump and start comparison with students from other countries. Are the benefits they are getting there obtainable here? Try to be objective at least once in a while.

1 Like

Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by cooljude(m): 1:52pm On Jun 27, 2023
nairalanda1:

Actually we are not.

Our tax to gdp ratio is too low

Our oil earnings are the same as Qatar, and we have 100 times their population.

Fix those two issues first...then we can talk.

(And that's why I don't like APC because they have not fixed either issue....so don't accuse me of supporting evil, Gosplan activist).

Any serious underdeveloped nation with growth and productivity in her mind will subsidize education and research work....

You must invest in your citizenship. Else, you will have dummies singing praises to you without any meaningful contribution to the countries growth.

3 Likes

Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by wirinet(m): 1:53pm On Jun 27, 2023
nairalanda1:

Poor funding makes the corruption worse.

As harsh as it sounds, modern equipment and so forth do not pay for themselves.

Either we start paying in more to our universities, or we just accept that we have bad universities.

We cannot be blaming everything on 'corruption'...corruption isn't why some universities cannot afford to upgrade for better services and why our hostels are a mess.

I honestly don't understand these ultra Conservative views being sprouted by you guys. You guys are elevating capitalism to a religion. Even the US which you guys purport to be mimicking provides lots of free or subsidised social services to the extremely poor, marginalised or vulnerable. The Chicago State University that Tinubu attended is a publicly funded university, the fees are either free or substantially subsidised.
In the US the poor and aged gets food stamps. Even health insurance is highly subsidised under Obama Care. And this is the most capitalist country in the world. Meanwhile you guys are behaving that any type of subsidy to the poor in Nigeria is an abomination. Nigeria that has the highest number of poor people in the world.

Everything and I repeat everything is blamed on corruption. Its corruption that robs Nigeria of adequate revenue and income. Nigeria has some of the highest deposits of Crude oil and gas in the world, but most of it is stolen and only a fraction enters government coffers.

Corruption is responsible for the sorry state of the public universities as no matter the money released to the universities for infrastructures, most is stolen by V.Cs and the registrars.

Our problems is not necessarily lack of funds but corruption. With the amount of mineral resources present under our soils and the population of over 200 million (if given adequate education and skills) and capital (either borrowed from foreign financial institutions, raised from bonds or simply borrowed from china), we would be a financial and industrial giant under 10 years. How long did it take UAE to transform from a poverty strike country to an economic giant? How lond did it take China that was poorer than nigeria in the 70s to be the second richest country in the world?

Watch the video below on how Saudi Arabia monitors and manage its oil resources and you will cry for Nigeria. The are able to monitor each drop of oil that leaves the ground until it is delivered to its final destination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ix_eN8_SNc

Please stop making excuses for corrupt Nigerian political elites.

3 Likes

Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by gbishman: 1:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
She is such a true leader.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Emmaomotob(m): 1:54pm On Jun 27, 2023
Natbrowny:
In this world. I just come commit sin, plenty sins.

So in that case. My only take away from this post is that. SHE'S GOT BOOBS
You are a failure.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jun 27, 2023
Styluss:
Everything is wrong with what he said, He is comparing schools abroad with Nigeria without considering minimum wage. Does he even know that some countries run Free Education for citizens ? The guy no just get sense, there is no two ways about it

My brother, the issues bedeviling Nigeria are complex and intertwined, but have very practical and simple solutions.

We have to deviate from total dependence on oil revenue.
We have to explore other means of revenue generation. And for a country that is abundantly blessed with natural and agricultural resources, that shouldn't be a problem, if we had the honest, committed and willing leadership.
Once Nigeria generates revenue from other sources plus what's gotten from oil, and our politicians are blocked from stealing, there's going to be enough to pay off debts, raise income of the working class citizens and only then should anybody consider options of raising things like tertiary education tuition.

But as a people, we are not yet ready to even have the conversations that will set the tone for these reforms, so every election circle, we'll keep electing leaders who'll take two steps forward and five steps backward, while enriching themselves with reckless abandon. This country is a system that has been designed to fail, even in the hands of the best technocrats, except there is the will to completely disintegrate the existing structure and rebuild from the start.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Pootle: 1:59pm On Jun 27, 2023
strategy for popularity and attention undecided
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Emeka71(m): 2:00pm On Jun 27, 2023
BleedingPen:
Thoughts?
Brave babe.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by benjaminlawson(m): 2:04pm On Jun 27, 2023
The courage of this student should be commended. It is pity today that our students' union government open their eyes and education is being taken out of the reach of common man, where is their aluta continua stand. They claimed they want to remove oil subsidy to fund health, education, infrastructure etc, but yet they have increased university fees and still planning to introduce tuition. May Almighty God deliver us from wicked rulers we have as leaders.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Osilama1: 2:04pm On Jun 27, 2023
7lives:

This is what ASUU played for all these years, but ignorant students and parents joined them, to fight the government.
Best of luck.
ASUU should get Lost
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by slowbam(m): 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2023
Good girl
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by nairalanda1(m): 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2023
wirinet:

Oga, I am not excusing corruption.

Again...I AM NOT EXCUSING CORRUPTION.

Understand!

I am just pointing out that we are not earning enough cash, and the corruption makes it worse

Don't you ever ever accuse me of supporting corruption or corrupt officals again.

Thank you.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by wirinet(m): 2:06pm On Jun 27, 2023
Buddha3:

My brother, the issues bedeviling Nigeria are complex and intertwined, but have very practical and simple solutions.

We have to deviate from total dependence on oil revenue.
We have to explore other means of revenue generation. And for a country that is abundantly blessed with natural and agricultural resources, that shouldn't be a problem, if we had the honest, committed and willing leadership.
Once Nigeria generates revenue from other sources plus what's gotten from oil, and our politicians are blocked from stealing, there's going to be enough to pay off debts, raise income of the working class citizens and only then should anybody consider options of raising things like tertiary education tuition.

But as a people, we are not yet ready to even have the conversations that will set the tone for these reforms, so every election circle, we'll keep electing leaders who'll take two steps forward and five steps backward, while enriching themselves with reckless abandon. This country is a system that has been designed to fail, even in the hands of the best technocrats, except there is the will to completely disintegrate the existing structure and rebuild from the start.

I dont believe we should or can deviate from oil revenue for now. Why? Because we have not yet exploited the crude oil and gas resources to its fullest yet. We are not even meeting our OPEC quota of about 2 millionBPD. Then there is the issue of our huge untapped gas reserves. Nigeria has more gas than crude, and the world is energy hungry right now. There is on OPEC quota for gas. We can make 10 times what we make from crude in gas. OBJ did some investments in gas but subsequent governments did not follow up. We don't even know what happens to the revenues accrued from gas in the last 8 years.

We need to invest in oil and gas to accumulate capital and then invest in other sectors like UAE did.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by nairalanda1(m): 2:07pm On Jun 27, 2023
cooljude:

Any serious underdeveloped nation with growth and productivity in her mind will subsidize education and research work....

You must invest in your citizenship. Else, you will have dummies singing praises to you without any meaningful contribution to the countries growth.

But you have to have the money, and the problem with Nigeria is, we don't have enough money.

The stealing and looting makes matters worse. As does the inefficiencies.

Plus we already have subsidised education and health.

If you want to pay for subsides, start by rasing our tax to gdp ratio.

Otherwise we will continue to borrow and borrow to meet welfare goals that cannot be achieved.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Osilama1: 2:07pm On Jun 27, 2023
YoungLionken:
This is exactly the same thing I expected from Yemi Osinbajo when he was vice president, but alas..

Kudos to you Divine, good name is better than silver and gold...
if u were osinbajo would u resign? Ina just come online de type anyhow...
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Osilama1: 2:10pm On Jun 27, 2023
Iamzik:

Nigeria is rich enough to subsidize university education

All of you that are supporting government to take away all the benefits enjoyed by citizens I hope you realize that every country in the world has one form of subsidy or the other.

Instead of going after those inflating the subsidy payment the government is taking away the benefits completely- fuel, electricity, education, floating of naira, and planned increment in tax

So after removing every single benefits your politicians will continue collecting their jumbo pay with all their expenses and will even increase their pay. What exactly will be the benefit of government to the common man??
the only education govt should subsidize is public primary secondary education... Govt spend huge to sponsor pple abroad for masters PhD yet many don't return... To me that's not good... Besides how many tax can u pay to ensure education is free for everyone... At all levels...
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by CSTRR: 2:10pm On Jun 27, 2023
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by wirinet(m): 2:11pm On Jun 27, 2023
nairalanda1:

Oga, I am not excusing corruption.

Again...I AM NOT EXCUSING CORRUPTION.

Understand!

I am just pointing out that we are not earning enough cash, and the corruption makes it worse

Don't you ever ever accuse me of supporting corruption or corrupt officals again.

Thank you.

Sorry if you are offended. I am just not happy you are not seeing the behemoth in the room which is CORRUPTION. You and I are just passionate at seeing Nigeria assume its rightful place in the committee of nation and we are just expressing our opinions passionately.

I wish we treat corruption the way its done in China or Japan. In Japan you are forced to commit suicide if you bring disgrace to your family. Here we celebrate those that bring disgrace to the whole nation.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by CSTRR: 2:12pm On Jun 27, 2023
Pwettylinda:
Protect her at all cost
That's what a great leader does when he or she fails in his duty.

But Nigerian polithiefcians can never resign even when they are caught red handed stealing E.G Ganduje undecided undecided
Great leader?

Someone that failed in her primary duty.?

She does not get points for resigning. She failed in her duty.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by CSTRR: 2:13pm On Jun 27, 2023
gbishman:
She is such a true leader.
So if I wreck a company, and I resign.

Does that make me a great leader?
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by nairalanda1(m): 2:14pm On Jun 27, 2023
wirinet:

Sorry if you are offended. I am just not happy you are not seeing the behemoth in the room which is CORRUPTION. You and I are just passionate at seeing Nigeria assume its rightful place in the committee of nation and we are just expressing our opinions passionately.

I wish we treat corruption the way its done in China or Japan. In Japan you are forced to commit suicide if you bring disgrace to your family. Here we celebrate those that bring disgrace to the whole nation.

Lord knows I see the behemoth, and it pisses me off

But the issue is, and you don't have to agree with me, we are not even earning enough money in the first place.

That is the main issue I try to point out, and y'all just assume I am backing corrupt governments. I am not, and the stealing makes a bad situation worse.

The thing is, we are not making enough money because we rely on oil, whose prices are up today, and down tomorrow. And when they are very low, we have to keep on borrowing.

And the painful thing is that people steal, despite our bad state.

That's all.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 27, 2023
wirinet:

I dont believe we should or can deviate from oil revenue for now. Why? Because we have not yet exploited the crude oil and gas resources to its fullest yet. We are not even meeting our OPEC quota of about 2 millionBPD. Then there is the issue of our huge untapped gas reserves. Nigeria has more gas than crude, and the world is energy hungry right now. There is on OPEC quota for gas. We can make 10 times what we make from crude in gas. OBJ did some investments in gas but subsequent governments did not follow up. We don't even know what happens to the revenues accrued from gas in the last 8 years.

We need to invest in oil and gas to accumulate capital and then invest in other sectors like UAE did.

When I used the word "deviate", I actually meant to cast a spotlight on our complete dependence on oil as a revenue source. It is risky. When world prices for crude crashed before and during the Covid19 era, Nigeria fell into recession twice.

We can invest more and tap into the potentials of oil and gas, but in the same vein, we can also explore the possibilites of raising revenue from other sources. I can comfortably tell you that outside oil and taxes, Nigeria does not make any reasonable money from any other means. How long are we going to continue doing the same things over and over, yet be expecting different results?!

1 Like

Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Osilama1: 2:16pm On Jun 27, 2023
Angelfrost:
Hanty... UNIBEN is not the problem!

Education, especially tertiary, will no longer be subsidized!

This means quality education will no longer come cheap...!

Hopefully this will improve the standard and quality of academics, while putting a permanent end to Industrial actions!

The bitter truth is that tertiary education can no longer be for everyone!...
exactly govt should ensure public primary secondary School is quality and Free... University education isn't for everyone self... Academic isn't easy...
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by wirinet(m): 2:17pm On Jun 27, 2023
Osilama1:
the only education govt should subsidize is public primary secondary education... Govt spend huge to sponsor pple abroad for masters PhD yet many don't return... To me that's not good... Besides how many tax can u pay to ensure education is free for everyone... At all levels...

I believe government(s), by governments I mean state and federal governments, should provide free primary and secondary education in its schools. That won't affect private education for the rich. Then it's should offer university scholarships to the best graduating students from its schools who are obviously from poor backgrounds. Theis way brillliant or gifted children from poor backgrounds would have the opportunity to succeed.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Osilama1: 2:17pm On Jun 27, 2023
Buddha3:

Haba!

There's basically nothing wrong with that guy's take on the issue na. E no reach to begin abuse am na.

I know say everybody dey vex, but make we try dey calm down sometimes.. grin
vex node solve issue... Pple who Insult are illogical and unintelligent... Imagine person de national assembly u disagree with a bill isn't to insult straight... ??
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 2:18pm On Jun 27, 2023
Brendaniel:
Tinubu should also resign since he has failed Nigerians
Yes. Him and all his livers should leave Nigeria and join their senior failure in Niger.
They ahve failed Nigeria.
All the house if rep members both state and federal including the governors should go to Niger and enjoy with BuBu the senior failure.
They are all useless. In fact, they are cancerous to the health of Nigeria.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Lush100(m): 2:26pm On Jun 27, 2023
nairalanda1:
So, she expects the university to survive on cheap fees?

Nigerians would complain all day long about half baked degrees...yet when efforts are made to improve things, they would complain poverty.

200000 naira is 270 dollars at most. And it is from that money that you expect degrees that can compete with unviersites that charge higher.?

Okay o. I don talk.
And parents earning 80k a month ,how much is that in dollars.
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by nairalanda1(m): 2:27pm On Jun 27, 2023
Lush100:

And parents earning 80k a month ,how much is that in dollars.

Then enjoy your bad university

It is what an income of 80000 naira can afford
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by 9jaRealist: 2:27pm On Jun 27, 2023
BleedingPen:
Thoughts?

Japa… cool
>

1 Like

Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Osilama1: 2:40pm On Jun 27, 2023
wirinet:

I believe government(s), by governments I mean state and federal governments, should provide free primary and secondary education in its schools. That won't affect private education for the rich. Then it's should offer university scholarships to the best graduating students from its schools who are obviously from poor backgrounds. Theis way brillliant or gifted children from poor backgrounds would have the opportunity to succeed.
this ll be funded by tax money... Again private pple and organisations should also sponsor too... Universities should have endowment fund too and relate with their alumni More
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by tollyboy5(m): 2:45pm On Jun 27, 2023
nairalanda1:

Ah, yes, starts with abuse.

Tells me all I need to know.

Out of the heart, the mouth speaks.

Good mornings, young phillosopher.
She was very correct. You just want to focus on the insult and not the message. How is minimum wage in this country vs ..
Re: ‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga by Brendaniel: 2:51pm On Jun 27, 2023
alowolowolayemo:

This is how all the enemies of Nigeria like you shall be exposed. So how has Tinubu failed Nigerians in less than a month in office?

It is not only expose it is reveal

Tinubu is a deceit, the same way you guys supported Buhari for 8 years when we were telling you guys that he was damaging the country doing the wrong things only to join us after supporting him to damage the country for 8 years to call him a failure is the same way we are telling you people now that Tinubu is doing the wrong things and you guys are saying otherwise.

How do you expect anyone to take your claim serious that Tinubu is doing the right thing if you guys could support Buhari for 2 terms till he finished his tenure before finding out that the man was doing the wrong things, except you guys want to accept that you have very poor ability to know what is right and what is wrong....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do Female Lecturers Harass Male Students Sexually? / Maria Atere, FUNAAB Student Dies; Lost To "Negligence" / Kaffydadiva Flaunts Her 3 US Degrees (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.