Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,043 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity (5012 Views)

Ohanaeze Protests Senate's Rejection Of Anambra Into NDDC. / Daily Trust Newspaper May Plunge Nigeria Into War With Inciting Headlines / Gombe Governor Releases N500m Counterpart Funds To Worldbank For Erosion Control (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by FreeStuffsNG: 9:17pm On Jun 27, 2023
Failure to pay project counterpart funds may plunge Anambra into rice, garri scarcity

Published on June 27, 2023By Joe Chukindi

There are fears that non-payment of counterpart funds by the Anambra State Government for an agricultural programme organised by the Federal Government of Nigeria/ International Fund for Agricultural Development-Value Chain Development Programme (FGN/IFAD-VCDP) may plunge the state into a scarcity of rice and garri.

A source who spoke to DAILY POST yesterday in Awka on conditions of anonymity said the state has not paid counterpart fund for some years, which is adversely affecting the production of rice and cassava products in the state.

“This is the fifth year running since the Anambra Government last paid her counterpart fund for the FGN/ IFAD-VCDP programme.

“The state first paid the counterpart fund of N94.4m in the year 2015, in 2016, it paid N94.8m, due to additional financing between the years 2021 and 2023 the money rose to N118m yearly, meaning that it is owing about N590 million.

“The programme first began with three Local Government Areas of Anambra East, Anambra West and Ayamelum, later Orumba North, Awka North, and finally Orumba South, Ogbaru and Ihiala.”

Anambra had in 2016 been noted to have hit its highest production capacity in rice, under the Governor Willie Obiano administration, with an annual production of 210,000 metric tons of rice.

It was also gathered that staff of FGN/IFAD-VCDP in the state are owed 13 months’ salaries and other allowances, a situation that has negatively affected the work attitude of the workers and by extension programme implementation.

A staff of the programme who begged not to be named said: “The morale of workers in undertaking their responsibilities to farmers have largely been affected because it is not easy for someone to work for a whole 13 months without salaries and you expect magic from such a worker.”

Anambra State Commissioner for Agriculture, Dr Foster Ihejiofor, when contacted on the reason behind the non-payment of the counterpart fund, simply told Journalists to speak with FGN/IFAD-VCDP State Programme Co-ordinator, Mr Emmanuel Agwucha.

On his part, Agwucha told journalists that the matter was not for public consumption.

In his words, “This matter is not for the press, please.

https://dailypost.ng/2023/06/27/failure-to-pay-project-counterpart-funds-may-plunge-anambra-into-rice-garri-scarcity/

9 Likes

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by FreeStuffsNG: 9:17pm On Jun 27, 2023
13 month salary being owed.smh

While some states are building independent agric systems, FG has been subsidising rice and garri in Anambra state for years!

So what is the state doing if it can not achieve ordinary garri and rice food security yet sits at home every Monday. Who then is deceiving who?

Anambra is a very poor state with people living on FG food subsidy in my estimation of this report. If you can't feed your people then they should all go to farm!
Check my signature for free stuffs!

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by Ebubu7: 9:23pm On Jun 27, 2023
Anambra is a decayed state

21 Likes

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by greatiyk4u(m): 9:24pm On Jun 27, 2023
Soludo
Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by Flangelo12: 9:25pm On Jun 27, 2023
Are the billionaires crying?

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by chichar1(f): 11:26pm On Jun 27, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

While some states are building independent agric systems, FG has been subsidising rice and garri in Anambra state for years!

So what is the state doing if it can not achieve ordinary garri and rice food security yet sits at home every Monday. Who then is deceiving who?

Anambra is a very poor state with people living on FG food subsidy in my estimation of this report. If you can't feed your people then they should all go to farm!
Go and tell Soludo. Mtcheeewww!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by chichar1(f): 11:27pm On Jun 27, 2023
Ebubu7:

Unknown gunmen and ESN have overran your state.

Go and take cue from Borno state and Benue on how to free your state from terrorism oga
mad man anthem.

7 Likes

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by Ebubu7: 11:30pm On Jun 27, 2023
chichar1:
mad man anthem.
rest daughter of Anambra unknown gun men terrorised state

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by omenka(m): 6:01am On Jun 28, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

When I read stuffs like this, I feel like giving that bald headed witch called Obi EzekweSILLY a big knock for he stinking hypocrisy.

I still have strong feeling Soludo would deliver. I've never doubted that man for a minute. All he needs is time.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by Ebubu7: 7:37am On Jun 28, 2023
omenka:
When I read stuffs like this, I feel like giving that bald headed witch called Obi EzekweSILLY a big knock for he stinking hypocrisy.

I still have strong feeling Soludo would deliver. I've never doubted that man for a minute. All he needs is time.

Soludo is not performing well abeg

No clear economic direction.

No infrastructure revamp.

Go to Ebonyi and see infrastructure.

Anambra has been overrun by terrorism Borno state is learning.

Kids carry guns about

Homes and shops close by 5pm

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by Guyman01: 8:26am On Jun 28, 2023
Does Anambra depend on rice and garri planted in the state to survive all these years?
Many people in the state are not even aware that the state borrowed money to invest in agriculture same way many Nigerians don't know what Buhari did with N77trn he borrowed on our behalf for 8 years

6 Likes

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by IPDGP: 8:27am On Jun 28, 2023
I thought them say Obi don perfect the state

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Failure To Pay Project Counterpart Funds May Plunge Anambra Into Food Scarcity by inoki247: 8:27am On Jun 28, 2023
Lol State of Billionaires....

They might come online and tell us na Ibadan Express way Media Propaganda....

Let it be the other way round the thread for don full like flood...

18 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking News! David Hundeyin Release His Account Number; Begs For Donation / I Hereby Declare The Islamic Republic Of Nothern Nigeria / History: World War II in Photos: The Invasion Of Poland & The Winter War(part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.