Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged (18794 Views)

EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged / Nigeria Elections Below Expectations, INEC Lacked Transparency – NDI/IRI / Garba Shehu: Successive Governments Lacked Courage To Remove Fuel Subsidy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by ogododo: 9:26pm On Jun 27, 2023
The 2023 general elections did not ensure a well-run transparent, and inclusive democratic process as assured by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), the European Union Election Observation Mission (EU EOM) has said.
[/b]The EU EOM noted that shortcomings in the law and electoral administration hindered the conduct of well-run and inclusive elections and damaged trust in INEC.

In its final report released on Tuesday in Abuja, [b]the EU EOM said public confidence and trust in INEC were severely damaged during the presidential poll and were not restored in state-level elections, leading civil society to call for an independent audit of the entire process.

“The widely welcomed Electoral Act 2022 (the 2022 Act) introduced measures aimed at building stakeholder trust. However, the Act’s first test in a general election revealed crucial gaps in terms of INEC’s accountability and transparency, proved to be insufficiently elaborated, and lacked clear provisions for timely and efficient implementation.

“Weak points include a lack of INEC independent structures and capacities to enforce sanctions for electoral offences and breaches of campaign finance rules.

“Furthermore, the presidential selection of INEC leadership at the federal and state level leaves the electoral institution vulnerable to the perception of partiality. Closer to the polls some started to doubt INEC’s administrative and operational efficiency and in-house capacity. Public confidence gradually decreased and was severely damaged on 25 February due to its operational failures and lack of transparency.

“While some corrective measures introduced before the 18 March elections were effective, overall trust was not restored,” it said.
Addressing a press briefing in Abuja, the Chief Observer, EU EOM, Barry Andrews, noted that his team carried out its work between 11 January and 11 April on the invitation of the INEC.

The EU EOM offered 23 recommendations for consideration by the Nigerian authorities that would contribute to the improvement of future elections.

Andrews said: “We are particularly concerned about the need for reform in six areas which we have identified as priority recommendations, and we believe, if implemented, could contribute to improvements for the conduct of elections.”
The six priority recommendations point to the need to; remove ambiguities in the law; establish a publicly accountable selection process for INEC members; ensure real-time publication of and access to election results; provide greater protection for media practitioners; address discrimination against women in political life, and; impunity regarding electoral offenses.

Reacting, INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, who spoke to journalists after the presentation said: “We are going to harmonise all the reports by international observers that have been presented and we are going to look at the reports holistically.

“From the report presented, the EU made mention of the fact that there have been significant improvements in our electoral process and there have been so many positives to this particular election.

“One of the positives is that we registered over 93 million Nigerians during this election. Not only that if you look at the reports submitted by international observers, in terms of voters accreditation, the BVAS performed optimally.”

Okoye, however, admitted that there were challenges, promising that recommendations from international observers would be worked on and implemented.

https://dailytrust.com/eu-mission-2023-elections-lacked-transparency-trust-in-inec-severely-damaged/

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by TemplarLandry: 9:27pm On Jun 27, 2023
Last time I checked, Nigeria was still a sovereign state. Someone should tell this European bloc to stop pokenosing into our internal affairs. You want to criticize us, do it constructively. Anything African is never good enough in their eyes.

83 Likes 14 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by taylor89(m): 9:28pm On Jun 27, 2023
See international disgrace

Because of a cocaine sniffer quest for power

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by SmartPolician: 9:30pm On Jun 27, 2023
INEC is a criminal organization!

381 Likes 38 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by proeast(m): 9:33pm On Jun 27, 2023
The rogue called Mahmoud is finished. I doubt any organization or respectable group will allow this criminal to ever associate with them.

He will be ashamed to come out publicly now.

What a disgrace, even INEC will have a lot of work to do for it to redeem its battered image.

308 Likes 34 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by ojun50(m): 9:33pm On Jun 27, 2023
Any talk concerning the last election from EU, US, AU and foreign body is useless to Nigerian. They only talk

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by TemplarLandry: 9:36pm On Jun 27, 2023
Small boy, I'm not the type that screams to the moderators calling for your sanction... I have no words for you coz “every word wey I type I dey monetize am I nuh get energy” Go listen to “New Religion” by Olamide x Asake. You'llbe alright.
ObosiUkwalla:

Shut it.
U rmbr Nigeria is a sovereign state, but when it's to take loan, u won't remember Nigeria is a sovereign state; u will run to them to borrow

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by Parachoco: 9:37pm On Jun 27, 2023
The 2023 Presidential Election is Free and Fair

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by ObosiUkwalla: 9:38pm On Jun 27, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Small boy, I'm not the type that screams to the moderators calling for your sanction... I have no words for you coz “every word wey I type I dey monetize am I nuh get energy” Go listen to “New Religion” by Olamide x Asake. You'llbe alright.

Small boy that can birth you 2x over. When shit like you talk, the whole world knows

129 Likes 8 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 9:39pm On Jun 27, 2023
Zero legitimacy.

Cornfused balabus will tell EU to go court.

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by Heffalump(m): 9:42pm On Jun 27, 2023
Buhari is to be blamed. He never disappoints as a former military junta.

What people don't know is that for the second time in his bloody life Buhari has plotted a coup and succeeded again! He vowed that he will handover power to Tinubu and it happened. If he stood his ground to ensure rules are followed, INEC would have done the right thing.

As far as the Nigerian democratic system is concerned, the sitting president has the monopolistic power to decide all things and everything in any election.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by proeast(m): 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Last time I checked, Nigeria was still a sovereign state. Someone should tell this European bloc to stop pokenosing into our internal affairs. Anything African is never good enough in their eyes.

Lol, continue deceiving yourself. Even in the just concluded global forum in France, Tinubu was treated as an outcast. Everyone ignored him while other African presidents had a great time.

The world knows that a criminal impostor is in charge in Nigeria.

189 Likes 15 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by Heffalump(m): 9:47pm On Jun 27, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Last time I checked, Nigeria was still a sovereign state. Someone should tell this European bloc to stop pokenosing into our internal affairs. Anything African is never good enough in their eyes.

A sovereign state that cannot take care of itself, is that one a state?

When you want to support your evil atrocities, you will suddenly remember that you're a sovereign state, only to turn yourself into a beggar and pauper when it comes to foreign loans. Spits!!

174 Likes 15 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by DeAdvokate(m): 10:00pm On Jun 27, 2023
Can this report leads to total cancellation of the presidential election?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by TemplarLandry: 10:01pm On Jun 27, 2023
Obo si grin 🎶Me I dey laugh you gan ni🎵🎶
ObosiUkwalla:

Trash talker.

U no get talk, really.

47 Likes

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by Lovelive: 10:41pm On Jun 27, 2023
But when you need money , you quickly go there.

Hypocrite !

So unfortunate that I share country with your kind.

TemplarLandry:

104 Likes 7 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by ogododo: 10:45pm On Jun 27, 2023
Nlfpmod.

2 Likes

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by Novarisammy2: 11:14pm On Jun 27, 2023
“You don’t necessarily need atomic bombs to destroy a nation. Politicians who value their pockets than the life of citizens always do that every day.” ― Israelmore Ayivor

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by JagabanBorgu: 11:26pm On Jun 27, 2023
We Nîgeriàns trust INEC, EU should focus on their own elections which is transparent according to them.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by JagabanBorgu: 11:26pm On Jun 27, 2023
Lovelive:
But when you need money , you quickly go there.

Hypocrite !

So unfortunate that I share country with your kind.

Nobody goes to EU when they need money.
Moreover, if they are to pay for the resources stolen, they haven't paid half of their debt yet.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by rummmy: 4:53am On Jun 28, 2023
Lolz..
Tinubu was selected by inec.
Sane Nigerias can not vote such character. grin

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by Guide777(m): 5:40am On Jun 28, 2023
Until there is a "National Electoral Law Enforcement Commission" and a review of who appoints INEC chairmen and Resident Electoral Commissioners , people like Mahmud and Tinubu will continue to derail the will of the people i.e 'sabotage' democracy and go scot-free.

23 Likes

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by haffaze777(m): 5:42am On Jun 28, 2023
God bless President Bola Ahmed Tinubu🤣

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by DMerciful(m): 6:10am On Jun 28, 2023
You're just a corrupt child
TemplarLandry:

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by DMerciful(m): 6:11am On Jun 28, 2023
Says a nobody
Parachoco:
The 2023 Presidential Election is Free and Fair

21 Likes

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by meolaniyi(m): 6:27am On Jun 28, 2023
INEC is the electoral terrorist wing of APC

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU: 2023 Elections Lacked Transparency, Trust In INEC Severely Damaged by Shikini: 6:35am On Jun 28, 2023
Even to the blind

20 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Happened To The Nigerian Army . / Surrender, Seek Forgiveness – Nigerian Army Tells Boko Haram Members / Sit At Home Defied In Abakaliki (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.