Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,717 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy (32533 Views)

States, FRSC To Share N12bn Proof Of Ownership Proceeds, Says Official / FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% / The Cost Of Vehicle Licensing, Change Of Ownership, Registration & Number Plate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by lexy2014: 5:24am On Jun 29, 2023
OmoNla99:

Point to correct you on number 3, no part of uS they pay Proof of Ownership Certificate. The equivalent of this certificate is Title certificate which is issued by motor vehicle bureau or department. This is only issued one time. This shows the car is yours. This is passed on to another person that buys the car. Another title certificate is issued to the new owner. So, at what time would you be asked to obtain another title certificate if you didn’t sell your car? This isn’t about the 1K for renewal but doing what is just. If this is allowed to fly, other charges will follow.

thank you my brother for negating the falsehood that guy posted.

MasterTeeUSA, can you respond to this or is the "tonation" going to be a problem? I guess you can see how people are taking down the points you raised. it shows that you were clearly trying to peddle wrong information all in an attempt to justify this wicked policy

1 Like

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by lexy2014: 5:31am On Jun 29, 2023
PureNigerian:

Every sane country witt sane people

does that include nigeria?
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by frankson1(m): 5:39am On Jun 29, 2023
OmoNla99:

I don’t have a problem renewing my car documents every year but this right here is a daylight scam which must be rejected regardless of the amount. Proof of Ownership Certificate is like a title certificate issued once. It only changes when ownership of the car changes. Why must you renew such every year? Sincerely answer the last statement. If this is allowed to fly, other levies will follow.

I think ALL the leaders have done more damage than good the reason their policies are strongly opposed, challenged.

It's very obvious that this is a form of taxation to raise funds for projects as against borrowing.

The only issue here is, will the money be used for the purpose it was raised for...if we see these projects on ground, I don't think they will be criticised.

Again, they should have explained to Nigerians reason (s) for this levy and it's purpose or intention so the people can do a follow up because right now, no one knows the purpose for the levy.
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by Bringbackmandat: 6:38am On Jun 29, 2023
Hoelujohn:

Hold fire. Na sarcasm joor. Check all my previous posts
sorry bro.
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by RevenuesBoost(f): 7:27am On Jun 29, 2023
Hmmm
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by freeman66: 7:53am On Jun 29, 2023
Hoelujohn:
It's done all over the world. Let us bear the pains, our children and grandchildren will benefit from the policy later in life. grin

How will our children and grandchildren benefit from this? Am just asking!
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by Ekeneegwu(m): 7:59am On Jun 29, 2023
lexy2014:

Na wa oh. Can't you see the joke in his comment? Everything must no be fight and insult

Abeg no vex …. I let my emotions get the better of me .”people are suffering…”

1 Like

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by iwaeda: 8:18am On Jun 29, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

Akun odun?

naxo em take dey talk am?
grin
Go and learn more about dialects. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by elijahkayode(m): 8:44am On Jun 29, 2023
iwaeda:

https://saharareporters.com/2023/06/28/n1000-vehicle-proof-ownership-nigerians-reject-newly-imposed-levy-say-tinubu-government

Nigeria is gone, so pe otilo
We are just celebrating that the Nigerian armed force is under Yoruba incase civil war

the suffering no be here
men dey try😢😢😢😢😤😤😤😤😤😤
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by seunayantokun(m): 9:21am On Jun 29, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
So fees are not taxes...NHS does not tax...but Govt does...who runs NHS lol. Anyways, since you cant read between the lines...Govt uses taxes to run NHS and pay doctors and nurses...the jobs we run to in the UK

If you can't understand what I wrote, kindly talk to your friends and family living in the UK. Or you just want to hold on to ignorance? Do you want to say because the government funds NHS as one of its duties, it taxes for NHS. Do you relate that to other departments of the government? The government at all levels collects taxes to generate funds for all its affairs.
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by sixtuso(m): 10:27am On Jun 29, 2023
Toll gate is coming
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by Electorate: 10:56am On Jun 29, 2023
Hoelujohn:
It's done all over the world. Let us bear the pains, our children and grandchildren will benefit from the policy later in life. grin

That's what their grandfather told their father who told them same thing they will tell their children who will tell their children's children yet nothing changed for the better...grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 3:40pm On Jun 29, 2023
Wrong information - In Maryland, you get stickers that you attach to your plate number to show that your vehicle is registered. Once that expires, the police can pull you over. Of course you can renew it online, but if the car is stolen, you wont bother renewing it in person or online because of your address..and police have uncovered many crimes by pulling cars over for expired tags. You can buy a car and not change the title by the way, but you will be forced to do so when you have to renew the license tags. Now, you have been served, and its close to $200.

OmoNla99:

Point to correct you on number 3, no part of uS they pay Proof of Ownership Certificate. The equivalent of this certificate is Title certificate which is issued by motor vehicle bureau or department. This is only issued one time. This shows the car is yours. This is passed on to another person that buys the car. Another title certificate is issued to the new owner. So, at what time would you be asked to obtain another title certificate if you didn’t sell your car? This isn’t about the 1K for renewal but doing what is just. If this is allowed to fly, other charges will follow.
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 3:42pm On Jun 29, 2023
All the sane countries you all talk about

US govt taxes business and individuals --- > Provide contracts to Military Industrial Complex and Companies, Subsidies to Agriculture for School Lunches, Medicaid, Housing Vouchers ---- > This creates jobs for more people that pay taxes ---> and the cycle continues. You get it.

lexy2014:

Where is that done?
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by lexy2014: 3:51pm On Jun 29, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
All the sane countries you all talk about

US govt taxes business and individuals --- > Provide contracts to Military Industrial Complex and Companies, Subsidies to Agriculture for School Lunches, Medicaid, Housing Vouchers ---- > This creates jobs for more people that pay taxes ---> and the cycle continues. You get it.

Which "sane countries" do I talk about?

Can you were we had a discussion about "sand countries"?

Is Nigeria in your list of "sane countries"?
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 4:06pm On Jun 29, 2023
Out of all the things I typed...the only thing that jumped at you is sane countries. Dang, we have a long way to go. We have so many damaged folks looking to pick a fight or controversy online. How did we become like this as a people or as a country? By the way, I said sane countries you "all"...its a metaphor...did not really refer to you perse

lexy2014:

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by lexy2014: 4:18pm On Jun 29, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
Out of all the things I typed...the only thing that jumped at you is sane countries. Dang, we have a long way to go. We have so many damaged folks looking to pick a fight or controversy online. How did we become like this as a people or as a country? By the way, I said sane countries you "all"...its a metaphor...did not really refer to you perse

How does all the above answer the simple questions?

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by OmoNla99: 4:25pm On Jun 29, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
Wrong information - In Maryland, you get stickers that you attach to your plate number to show that your vehicle is registered. Once that expires, the police can pull you over. Of course you can renew it online, but if the car is stolen, you wont bother renewing it in person or online because of your address..and police have uncovered many crimes by pulling cars over for expired tags. You can buy a car and not change the title by the way, but you will be forced to do so when you have to renew the license tags. Now, you have been served, and its close to $200.

This is how you mis-inform people about vital information.
1. Who will sell his/her registered car to you without removing his/her tag? None, except a friend or close relative ( no stranger will do such). This is because, if a crime is committed with the car, the first person to be arrested is the name registered with the car. Also, who will be paying for tickets, tolls and the rest?

2. In every part of the US, the police pulls you over for expired registration. This isn’t perculiar to Maryland alone.

3. On your second to the last statement, takes you back to my number 1 up here. No stranger will sell a car to you and allow you drive around with their tag. With no tag, you will be forced to register your car. One of the documents at the point of registration is the title certificate which isn’t renewed annually like the one introduced in Naaija presently. The only time it changes is when ownership changes. Ire ooo.

1 Like

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by Tecord1(m): 8:31pm On Jun 29, 2023
Hoelujohn:
Pls tell us countries where this is practiced.
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by Basicend: 8:41pm On Jun 29, 2023
PureNigerian:
How in the hell will you develop the country without proper tax structure.

You people don't have problem paying in the western world

Is per capital income the same?

A Nigerian citizen earning Tru the Nigerian system is averagely very poor.

I don't understand how you guys think. Most guys commenting here are not in Nigeria or children being still fed by parents or from the corrupt flow.
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by AmuRubber(m): 3:01am On Jun 30, 2023
Tntsi:
After acquiring your vehicle licence, and all other documents needed , you come every year to pay to show that you own the vehicle.

Welcome to Renewed extortion, renewed robbery and embezellment of the common man.
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by AmuRubber(m): 3:02am On Jun 30, 2023
MXrep:
Ndi IGR have gone National. No nation can tax itself into prosperity. Production is what brings progress not taxation. GDP is the measurement for economic growth, not IGR that increase poverty
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 6:37am On Jun 30, 2023
You don't even realize you are contradicting yourself...who will do this except.....

Anyways they ain't using stickers in Nigeria ...so what? The point is...you still pay annually or biannual to keep your car on the road...same difference.

If you have issues with the policy, go to court ...it's a nice way to raise revenue. MVA policies are by states in the USA...you can speak for all the states I suppose...I choose to speak for mine. If you like, continue responding in order to make yourself feel good.

The point is simple...it's meant to raise revenue. If US states only care for ownership change, they won't care about stickers. This policy is actually really good in Nigeria where crime rate is high with little database...register your vehicle annually...If you don't like it, stick to public transportation...na N1000 only.

OmoNla99:

1. Who will sell his/her registered car to you without removing his/her tag? None, except a friend or close relative ( no stranger will do such). This is because, if a crime is committed with the car, the first person to be arrested is the name registered with the car. Also, who will be paying for tickets, tolls and the rest?

2. In every part of the US, the police pulls you over for expired registration. This isn’t perculiar to Maryland alone.

3. On your second to the last statement, takes you back to my number 1 up here. No stranger will sell a car to you and allow you drive around with their tag. With no tag, you will be forced to register your car. One of the documents at the point of registration is the title certificate which isn’t renewed annually like the one introduced in Naaija presently. The only time it changes is when ownership changes. Ire ooo.
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by valarinz: 8:18am On Jun 30, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
You don't even realize you are contradicting yourself...who will do this except.....

Anyways they ain't using stickers in Nigeria ...so what? The point is...you still pay annually or biannual to keep your car on the road...same difference.

If you have issues with the policy, go to court ...it's a nice way to raise revenue. MVA policies are by states in the USA...you can speak for all the states I suppose...I choose to speak for mine. If you like, continue responding in order to make yourself feel good.

The point is simple...it's meant to raise revenue. If US states only care for ownership change, they won't care about stickers. This policy is actually really good in Nigeria where crime rate is high with little database...register your vehicle annually...If you don't like it, stick to public transportation...na N1000 only.

Pls kindly tell me what the "Vehicle license" fee we already pay is then?

Why would we have to "register" again with ₦1k for a paper that only depicts the ownership of a vehicle

Also, youve been going on and on about this your Maryland license payment, and Im asking you again, how is that different from the "Vehicle license" fee we already pay
Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 5:05pm On Jun 30, 2023
Is vehicle license fee annually? If it is, I am not aware of it. If it is, then I agree with you they need to amonize all of these. I do think its a way to make the rich to cough out more...if you have 5 cars, you pay N5k annually. I think the Govt need to enforce the Land Use Charge and compel people to pay, or show difficulty in paying so they can be suspended or vacated short term. We must pay these fees and taxes so other agencies can spring up, and more people can get jobs. By the way, the Govt should contract most of these stuff out and have companies bid for them every 2-3 yrs.

valarinz:

Why would we have to "register" again with ₦1k for a paper that only depicts the ownership of a vehicle

Also, youve been going on and on about this your Maryland license payment, and Im asking you again, how is that different from the "Vehicle license" fee we already pay

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by valarinz: 7:25pm On Jun 30, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:
Is vehicle license fee annually? If it is, I am not aware of it. If it is, then I agree with you they need to amonize all of these. I do think its a way to make the rich to cough out more...if you have 5 cars, you pay N5k annually. I think the Govt need to enforce the Land Use Charge and compel people to pay, or show difficulty in paying so they can be suspended or vacated short term. We must pay these fees and taxes so other agencies can spring up, and more people can get jobs. By the way, the Govt should contract most of these stuff out and have companies bid for them every 2-3 yrs.

Yes pls, "vehicle licence" fee is paid annually and it's part of the 3 required documents that has annual renewal required to drive a car in Nigeria

The other 2 are the "road worthiness certificate" and of course the "insurance certificate"

"Vehicle licence" fee is not equal across all vehicles, different categories of cars pay different sums and usually the bigger your engine size the higher your fee

Perhaps if all those attacking you spelt it out clearly for you from the get-go we won't have many pages of the unnecessary jousting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 1:39am On Jul 03, 2023
Last week, the Permanent Secretary, Lagos Ministry of Transportation, Abdulhafiz Toriola, disclosed this. He stated that this certificate would help vehicle owners and the government assure the integrity of all vehicles registered on the National Vehicle and Identification Scheme database and track car theft and recovery of stolen vehicles.

MasterTeeUSA:
There are so many reasons why this is good. It is like car registration

1. You cannot steal a vehicle and go for Proof of Ownership. If the car has been declared wanted, you are going to be in big trouble.
2. If a car is sold, the new owner will be forced to get his own proof of ownership and justify the purchase.
3. This is done in sane countries...in Maryland USA, I think its biannually
4. It can also be used to enforce...Police can ask for Proof of Ownership and verify the documents with NIN/IDs
5. Even if you try to repaint or change a stolen vehicle, you will still need to have proof of sale and submit documents for Proof of Ownership

Yes, is it extra tax on the people that have vehicles...yes, but it will also provide JOBS JOBS JOBS and open up another way to generate revenues to pay those workers.

Like I told someone before...US/UK pay so many different taxes, and that is how they are also able to provide so many different types of jobs or contracts.

US Military spending alone is greater than almost all countries combined...You have Haliburton, GE, Boeing, Amazon, Google...all of them get Govt contracts. You have IRS and officers that collect and enforce taxation. You have Federal Police, different from State Police and Local Govt or County Police and you also have City Police...State Highway Police and so on. Govt pays for all of them and use the same taxes...FireHouse and workers in every few streets, Medicaid for elderly which opened job opportunities that people run to...Nursing, Doctor and so on. Even IT and CyberSecurity is due to Govt spending.

So if you want more jobs private or public, you must take and distribute. Rich people that have 10 cars will have to pay N10,000 per year...which is nothing to them.

I support this move for all of the reasons above. If you cannot pay N1000 per year, you should not be driving please and thank you.

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 1:39am On Jul 03, 2023
Last week, the Permanent Secretary, Lagos Ministry of Transportation, Abdulhafiz Toriola, disclosed this. He stated that this certificate would help vehicle owners and the government assure the integrity of all vehicles registered on the National Vehicle and Identification Scheme database and track car theft and recovery of stolen vehicles.

valarinz:

Yes pls, "vehicle licence" fee is paid annually and it's part of the 3 required documents that has annual renewal required to drive a car in Nigeria

The other 2 are the "road worthiness certificate" and of course the "insurance certificate"

"Vehicle licence" fee is not equal across all vehicles, different categories of cars pay different sums and usually the bigger your engine size the higher your fee

Perhaps if all those attacking you spelt it out clearly for you from the get-go we won't have many pages of the unnecessary jousting

valarinz:

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 1:40am On Jul 03, 2023

valarinz:

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by MasterTeeUSA: 1:40am On Jul 03, 2023

OmoNla99:

Re: N1000 Vehicle Proof Of Ownership: Nigerians Reject Newly Imposed Levy by OmoNla99: 2:21am On Jul 03, 2023
MasterTeeUSA:

Well, I read your last post and chose not to respond to it. You’ve contradicted yourself in so many ways by trying to justify a yearly renewal of a certificate that ought to be issued one time. Small time now, dem go say education CERTIFICATES and other CERTIFICATES too should be renewed yearly. There is a reason the word CERTIFICATE came up. Ire oooo

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Policeman Dies On Third-mainland- Bridge Okada Crash / The Most Common Car On Nigerian Roads? / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.