Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments (49537 Views)

CBN Sets $1m As Capital Requirement For International Money Transfer Operators / Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight / CBN Sets Daily Limit Of N100,000 On Mobile USSD Transactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by martooski(m): 8:16am On Jun 29, 2023
Sablexxxtoons:
The question is what is contactless payment.

This means your Card can be debited by just placing a device beside it, it can also be by swapping. No authorisation is required.
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by EnterpriseMan: 8:17am On Jun 29, 2023
OneCandleAway:
Does that mean we can't transfer more than 50k
Very different, you can transfer as much as you want.
99% of Nigerians have never used contactless payments so it doesn't really change anything.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by Chosimba: 8:20am On Jun 29, 2023
PHIPEX:
I noticed this nonsense today on my account. This is another policy somersault. This people are only interested in frustrating Nigerians.

How do you peg my daily transfer to 50k meaning we should all return to queuing in the banking hall? Why are we returning to 1990 Banking system instead of going forward?

Contact less is not transfer. You didn't notice anything because you're not being honest.

Contact less is for cards that tap a machine to charge like your smart watch. Apple/ Google pay etc

3 Likes

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 8:20am On Jun 29, 2023
Hope you understood what you read.
PHIPEX:
I noticed this nonsense today on my account. This is another policy somersault. This people are only interested in frustrating Nigerians.

How do you peg my daily transfer to 50k meaning we should all return to queuing in the banking hall? Why are we returning to 1990 Banking system instead of going forward?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by erico2k2(m): 8:26am On Jun 29, 2023
Maafiaalady:

It is really surprising most people use their smart phones to comment jargons but cannot do simple research on Contactless payment. Foreign countries has been using this since, e.g. UK since 2007. The daily contactless transaction limit in UK is £100, I use it daily here and I actually enjoy it because it is seamless. It is a good step in Nigeria but the question is, are the banks ready for this?
Hold in 2007?we did not even have smart phones in the Uk 2007 no touch screen phone the closest was slide phone nokia.However there has been contactless cards in Nigeria about 5 years ago cos I have one from 1st bank.However POS machine in Nigeria are not enabled enough to accept these transactions.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by Bakrabas: 8:33am On Jun 29, 2023
PrincessofDSS:
I don’t get it

Very preposterous, does it mean I can’t exceed 50k transfer using my app

Exactly
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by CharlesJok3r: 8:34am On Jun 29, 2023
Is contactless payment even a thing in Nigeria.
I swear that I have never seen it before in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by erico2k2(m): 8:39am On Jun 29, 2023
CharlesJok3r:
Is contactless payment even a thing in Nigeria.
I swear that I have never seen it before in Nigeria.
the infrastructure is there.the card is dearer
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by erico2k2(m): 8:40am On Jun 29, 2023
Bakrabas:

Exactly
wrong you can.According to your endimity of spelt right limit
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by yommen: 8:41am On Jun 29, 2023
Bebigiby1:
Before the 2023 presidential election, I warned Nigerians about the consequences of allowing Tinubu and APC's evil government to continue, many in this forum didn't listen but continue to support the evil government. This new policy is not so different from policies under Emefiele that led to the current economic disastrous situation we are facing today. Until Nigerians decide to overlook tribe, religion and fight these evil leaders things may get worse.... As it stands it is not getting better....

This policy just like the naira swap policy will violate people's right to spend and earn. It will further destroy Nigeria's economy....

Unfortunately, your points don't count. The system doesn't even exist in Nigeria yet and if it starts, a lot of people will lose their hard-earned money if the type of restriction the government is putting into place is not introduced. Fraudsters will make easier money and make more people cry.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by erico2k2(m): 8:41am On Jun 29, 2023
Chosimba:

Contact less is not transfer. You didn't notice anything because you're not being honest.

Contact less is for cards that tap a machine to charge like your smart watch. Apple/ Google pay etc
ahaha nah so Nigerians dey carry talk.him wan sound relivant grin

2 Likes

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by erico2k2(m): 8:50am On Jun 29, 2023
yommen:

Unfortunately, your points don't count. The system doesn't even exist in Nigeria yet and if it starts, a lot of people will lose their hard-earned money if the type of restriction the government is putting into place is not introduced. Fraudsters will make easier money and make more people cry.
The system is in Nigeria already POS .merchants just need to upgrade.my 1st bank Debit card is contactless got it Jan this year
2 years ago I saw a guy with zenith bank debit card use his to get on the underground in london.it worked.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by waice6571: 8:54am On Jun 29, 2023
Although the information from the CBN presume everyone that every Nigerian have a fair knowledge of how "Contactless" transaction works. But in reality, it is a new financial terminology to large number of people that have access to internet while others outside this category are still living in the stone age ...

Contactless transactions is not operating in the same technology as your bank app or your magnetic stripped card system. It uses radio frequency identification to interact with paying and receiving parties within a specified radius.
It is a secured means of transaction where your information is encoded and cannot be traced by any other parties including government agencies and Central Bank. (Untraceable Transactions)

Did you now see the reason why the use must be regulated before it becomes generally accepted.
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by waice6571: 8:59am On Jun 29, 2023
Dybala11:

Yep, you now have to go and queue in the banking hall if you want to transfer more than 50k. And you can only transfer a maximum of 15k at once.

You'll later be ashamed of yourself for this high level mediocrity. cry

4 Likes

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by patrislayqueen: 9:33am On Jun 29, 2023
obailala:

This is for contactless payments, not your regular transfer or card payment.

With contactless payment cards, all you need do is bring your card close to a compliant POS machine and payment would be automatically taken from your card without you having to insert the card in the machine or inputting your pin. Contactless payments don't exist in Nigeria YET; I'm guessing they're just about to introduce it. But I doubt it would work in Nigeria though, especially given the sheer number of fraudsters we have.

It exist long ago in Nigeria, na you no know. Also, it requires card pin for authentication.
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by tabaralph: 9:46am On Jun 29, 2023
Bidema:
People will have enough excuse to owe you now. Trust Nigerians
m
Do you really know the meaning of contactless payment… Google is your friend don’t be ignorant

1 Like

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by obailala(m): 10:19am On Jun 29, 2023
patrislayqueen:

It exist long ago in Nigeria, na you no know. Also, it requires card pin for authentication.
Authentication of each transaction?.... If the contactless that existed long ago in nigeria requires one to input their pin, omo that one no be contactless again oo grin
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by Ubongdemaga: 10:24am On Jun 29, 2023
Can someone break this contactless Grammer to a layman or broken English?
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by obailala(m): 10:26am On Jun 29, 2023
EquitableTech:

It does exist.
Fist Bank has introduced contacless Naira mastercard.
FRS:
It exists for a while now, I use it especially when my card chip is dirty and not reading the card. It started with GTB Mastercard but there's no awareness of it so people don't know. I have been using it for the past 10 months.
blaise26abj:

Actually GTBank gave me a contactless card late last year . I didn’t request for it though. I agree with you with the fraud part unless the Termibal will still request your password
Lovenorth:

Opay allows us to do contactless payment
Where did you guys use your contactless cards? ... I didnt know the cards existed in Nigeria before... but then again, are there really any merchants that operate contactless POS machines in Nigeria?
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by persius555(m): 10:55am On Jun 29, 2023
To combat fraud commonly associated with contactless payment, keep your credit cards in aluminium foils that inhibit magnetic induction.

On a serious note, it's not even feasible but that technology can cost you if not handled with utmost care.
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by bjtinz: 11:58am On Jun 29, 2023
highoctane:

I don't comment on what I did not try or experienced

Your explanation ain't in order.
I woke up by 4.06am, that's my usual wake up, to read about this news.
I tried to transfer the sum of 50k from my OPAY to my Gtbank account, the response was I have exceeded my daily transfer, the transfer was declined, I scaled it down to 45k, the response was your transfer fee will be #405. The transfer was successful, I want to reverse the transfer from my Gtbank account to OPAY,same response, same result.
What you gonna say or explain once again about this?

Guy, I think the fault is from you end. I just tried it myself (gtb to opay, above 50k) and it went smoothly.

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by highoctane: 12:17pm On Jun 29, 2023
obailala:
Was it contactless payment?... if it's not contactless payment, then your issue is different i guess..

That's the issue I experienced, that arose leading to my comments.
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by obailala(m): 1:04pm On Jun 29, 2023
highoctane:

That's the issue I experienced, that arose leading to my comments.
I guess that's a different issue altogether...
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by WhatIf: 2:14pm On Jun 29, 2023
Avast:

Some people can lie for Africa. He said he noticed that on his account.

I tired ooooo!
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by Dybala11(m): 2:17pm On Jun 29, 2023
waice6571:

You'll later be ashamed of yourself for this high level mediocrity. cry
Ashamed??
Anyway I corrected the comment cos I've muddled up what OP was talking about. The restrictions are highly recommended cos if not, a lot of people will lose their hard earned money o.

1 Like

Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by WhatIf: 2:19pm On Jun 29, 2023
peculiar2233:

You could have explained io him nah. Olo-shi

Oloriburuku, Omo Ale, tell me how to explain to someone who had beclouded his/her mind, heart and all their bones and marrow with hatred towards this new administration?
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by peculiar2233: 3:04pm On Jun 29, 2023
WhatIf:

Oloriburuku, Omo Ale, tell me how to explain to someone who had beclouded his/her mind, heart and all their bones and marrow with hatred towards this new administration?
Omo iya aje stop crying ehn 😂😂😂
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by kingsways: 6:08pm On Jun 29, 2023
tonytony208:

I guess you are too mentally daft to understand the news.

Or too financially impoverished to understand the implications.

It means you must queue at the bank if you must withdraw any amount above 50k.

You are the last stewpid person I’m going to reply on this forum. I won’t be replying e-diots like you any more
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by imagrg(m): 6:45pm On Jun 29, 2023
No cause for alarm oh.👀🙆‍♂️
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by ComeToJesus: 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2023
The Nigerian government is always sick. Very regime to regime. Their chief policy is to make life difficult for Nigerians. Nothing more
Bunch of scallywags..
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by Amaly: 7:21pm On Jun 29, 2023
GWMI:
You people can't stop speaking nonsense na wa o
What is nonsense about what he said, this man's policies are antipeople from day one, we are hearing that fuel will be N700 from next month, electricity tarrif hike, introduction of tuition fees, VAT on diesel etc and one will think they will cut cost of governance but we caught them planning to increase their pay by a whooping 114% while telling us to make necessary sacrifices. A man driving in 120 vehicle convoy can never manage your economy well. What palliatives has he put in place to ameliorate the hardships caused? Nigerians are the only people who can be fooled over and over again.
Re: CBN Sets N50,000 As Daily Limit On Contactless Payments by manable(m): 9:11pm On Jun 29, 2023
Thanks god I didn't vote for this drug Barron

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Austin Russell Is Forbes Youngest Self-Made Billionaire (Photos) / Nigerian Makes Top 10 Billionaire In The World, 3 Others In Top 2,043 [see List] / Cost Of Setting Up A Block Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.